Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

3 hours ago, Hannes Solo said:

Me too and I have no problem with that. But I do not think that my 6 and 8 yo kids are ready for it.

While I think that it's not healthy to try and keep kids oblivious of the real world (and for that I mean the horrible horrible things that are currently happening in many places in our planet, with wars, *****, slavery, slaughters, ... that we try to keep away beyond our first world borders), I agree with you that many "kids shows" today spread really wrong values to their audience.

As you say, this series tells kids that war is fun, it is almost a family thing. With mama Hera and papa Kanan going to kill some imperials along with sister Sabine, brother Ezra, the grumpy uncle Zeb, and the family cat Chopper.
It is too childish for adults,  but at the same time it shows a too frivolous view of war to kids.

I like it because it's Star Wars, and Star Wars has always been about characters fighting a cool a war for the greater good.
But even since the original trilogy, there was loss and there was sacrifice. Luke's uncle and aunt are shown onscreen burning to the bones! Obi Wan sacrifices himself to allow the heroes to escape. Biggs, a friend of Luke since childhood, is shot down while protecting him. War is horrible and good people are tortured and killed in war in horrible ways. 

That is where Rebels fails at portraying the Galactic Civil War.
Lucas said that the first Star Wars was meant for 12 year olds. I cannot believe that 40 years ago, kids could take it, and today kids can't.

The difference is perhaps that Disney wants to make a Star Wars show. But at the same time it wants it to remain a Disney show. And that is what I feel its wrong with this series. It's too much Disney.

Edited by Azrapse

1 hour ago, Hannes Solo said:

Me too and I have no problem with that. But I do not think that my 6 and 8 yo kids are ready for it.

So, the "for childs but not for chiles" is not a problem of SWRebels or Clone Wars, but a general problem of SW, an acepted one, because there are no light without shadows...

1 hour ago, Draconis Hegemonia said:

The storm troopers don't have faces, so you can kill them without hesitation, they are not actually people...

More that the Empire are the Nazis (a point that has waxed and waned in emphesis since the original trilogy) so it was not just OK to kill Storm Troopers without hesitation but a good thing.

1 hour ago, Azrapse said:

Lucas said that the first Star Wars was meant for 12 year olds. I cannot believe that 40 years ago, kids could take it, and today kids can't.

There's a BIG difference in kids today compared to kids 40 years ago........well, probably more of an issue of a difference in the way PARENTS raise kids today compared to parents 40 years ago. I see parents getting arrested today for things that were not and issue when I was a kid.

I was 7 on opening night for Star Wars. I absolutely LOVED IT! The only scene that kind of bothered me that night was the burnt remains of Owen and Beru Lars. That kind of creeped me out but I was back in the theater again the next night and didn't bat an eye that night.

On 2/17/2016 at 1:08 PM, DariusAPB said:

Would America be evil if Bush/Obama/Whoever is in power at the given time could force lightning?

Yes, this is being deliberately inflammatory...

Well, the system is pretty evil already, but until they start nationalizing industry and abolish the Senate, I think we're okay. 

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Every lesson Teen Titans Go teaches is wrong.  It's like the Always Sunny of kids shows, but kids aren't savvy enough to realize that the characters are monsters.

When I look at you, I see the story in your eyes.

I love Teen Titans Go. Quality humor. And yes, they're monsters in general and to each other.

On 29.3.2017 at 8:33 PM, GrimmyV said:

Ion cannons, on ISDs?  This is NuCanon, not Legends.

Still have ion cannons. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_I-class_Star_Destroyer#cite_note-UltimateSW-0
Take note of the source in the canon entry is from 2015, part of disney canon. So Ions would have been a choice. 

1 hour ago, drail14me said:

There's a BIG difference in kids today compared to kids 40 years ago........well, probably more of an issue of a difference in the way PARENTS raise kids today compared to parents 40 years ago.

I wanted to call you out and that, but you corrected yourself. Could not agree more.

Edited by SEApocalypse

4 hours ago, Hannes Solo said:

The Imperial fondness for ns-aesthetics is another reason for me that I wouldn't watch Star Wars with my kids as long as I do not feel comfortable about telling them what happened in Ausschwitz.

Your youngest is six and your oldest eight, right?  By six I had an idea what a Nazi was, (admittedly I don't think it went beyond them being the bad guys, but...) and by eight I knew about the holocaust at least in general terms.  Now I'm 43, and my grandfather fought the Nazis so I get it was closer than it is for this generation of children.  For my wife, who is the same age as me, it was more personal.  She knew all about concentration camps by the time she was eight as she had relatives who had survived them and relatives who had died in them.  We have a three year old daughter now, and we'll have to make choices about when she learns stuff, but I am wholly convinced that by not letting children learn about the Nazis and their particular brand of evil we risk them not developing the intellectual defences that help them to avoid becoming Nazis themselves.

Ok, that was heavier than expected.  To get back on topic, have people seen the teasers from the Season 3 DVD that were dropped on YouTube yesterday?  

9 hours ago, Hannes Solo said:

I don't understand the concept of this show, pretty much the same way as I didn't understood th concept of clone wars.
On the one hand the dramaturgy and the aesthetics are clearly aimed for younger kids and do not appeal to me, On the other hand I find that the context of these shows inappropriate for younger children. Its not so much about the level of violence in single scenes, but both shows tend to portrait war as some kind of funny cat-and-mouse-game. Both, Rebels and Clone Wars are in their cores soldier stories. But they come in bright colours and with a big FUN-Sign on top and I do think it disturbing to send such a message to kids not yet old enough to comprehend the meaning of war.

For older kids and adults it is much to shallow. Its all "Mary-Sue and her Family fighting a stupid Empire run by Laurel and Hardy". Now what I especially hate about Rebels is that it messes around with the GCW-Canon in a distastefull way. 

Nobody is making you watch it, but you feel compelled to troll.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 8/30/2017 at 11:53 AM, ViscerothSWG said:

When I look at you, I see the story in your eyes.

...when we're dancing...THE NIGHT BEGINS TO SHINE!

Yes, that is fantastic.  The show has some funny episodes, but it still teaches the WORST lessens.  And it's fully aware of it too.

4 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Mild S4 spoiler:

Hide contents

Apparently Sabine and Ezra steal a TIE Defender in S4:

No...NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

In all seriousness though:

I like it when they steal TIEs.  They have a Fighter, Bomber and TAP already.  I just don't like it when FFG makes Rebel miniatures out of them.

Edited by DarthEnderX

5 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Mild S4 spoiler:

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently Sabine and Ezra steal a TIE Defender in S4:

kusmA3p.jpg

FFG...

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Well I guess that's necessary

to explain why we don't see them, again, after Rebels.

I assume they get it back to Rebel HQ, who takes it apart and discovers that to make the whole thing work requires that it is constantly overclocking its heli-saber (or whatever), and so they just have to transmit a noise at a specific frequency and the whole thing explodes.

Are we certain of the type? The interiors of all the TIEs except the bomber have been identical so far. And the bomber only was different because it had a slightly different shape, that hatch, and the 2nd compartment.

The bio on the fantastic and highly recommended 6 inch Black Series Thrawn figure, may have possibly spoiled S4.

I checked and all the figures of characters still alive by the Last Jedi and they have bios written in present tense. Obviously characters who have died are in past tense such as Vader. Well Thrawn's bio is written in past tense.  These sortve things have never been wholly reliable in the past but it's another bit of evidence pointing at the Grand Admiral's death.

Edited by Forresto