KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

2 minutes ago, BlodVargarna said:

IMG_2271.jpg

Looking closely it seems like there's some damage and the top two engines got blown off or something. 

I think you may be right though the mounts where the engines should be look too clean to have the engines that were mounted there be just blown off. Maybe they were rigged to be used as bombs and were jettisoned as part of this mission. Also I think this is the ship shown going to hyperspace inside the station.

8 minutes ago, jmswood said:

If they started animating Season 4 before Rogue One came out, it's possible the Rebel's U-wing was based on an earlier concept. 

We saw at least one normal four-engined U-Wing earlier in the trailer.

I think it might be an experimental version. Keep in mind, the U-wing was also an experimental Incom design, much like the X-wing. Perhaps they travel to Fresia (those space stations need a planetoid to orbit) to steal it and the X-wing just becomes a happy accident. This could be the prototype, hence the two engines.

46 minutes ago, All Shields Forward said:

Looks like a TIE Defender got jacked.

Hopefully by Sabine.

Wow, a lot has happened at this panel.

I must say I'm glad that Dave can finish the series on his own terms. I wasn't quite fond of where Rebels were going, the writers wanted to write TCW-style anthology with all the important characters and grand events, but the show had to be focused on a single ship and didn't have half the budget it needed.

The announcement that this is the last season... in one sudden strike Darth Filonious tore the plot armour off everybody except Hera and Chopper. This is going to be intersting.

Ah, and RIP Thrawn. Maybe what's for the best, I've heard that Zahn has already ruined the character in his book, for the second time in his career. Better kill him off before it gets out of hand like in the EU.

No worries about the future, another show is in the works. Probably sequel trilogy era... maybe based Dave saw the misery TFA and decided that it's his destiny, as the apprentice of Lord Lucas, to bring balance to that era?

I'm hopeful.

I don't know if it has been noted already, but in the trailer we can swe Lothal either being either aggresively strip mined or Base Delta Zeroed. Or both.

Edited by eMeM

2 minutes ago, eMeM said:

Maybe what's for the best, I've heard that Zahn has already ruined the character in his book, for the second time in his career. Better kill him off before it gets out of hand like in the EU.

Thrawn isn't really all that different in the book, to the way he was in most of Zahn's Legends books. Zahn generally avoided portraying Thrawn as outright cruel or malicious, anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Thrawn isn't really all that different in the book, to the way he was in most of Zahn's Legends books. Zahn generally avoided portraying Thrawn as outright cruel or malicious, anyway.

That's why I said he ruined him for the second time, meaning just like he did back in the day after the great Thrawn's Trilogy.

My guess on the two engine U-wing? It is actually a BT-45D, the civilian version of the U-wing that the  UT-60D militarized U-wings we saw in Rogue One were developed from.

Normally they don't have hyperdrives, but if the old phantom could get one, you could after market mod a BT-45D fairly easily.

Even in TTT, Thrawn isn't especially malicious or cruel. And his ability to deduce stuff, and not make traditional Evil Overlord mistakes, was his main selling point.

This Thrawn is the same. While not cruel, he's still ruthless - the kind of person who would happily sacrifice the Empire if it saved his own people - the Chiss. That's his reason for joining them - to see if they are to be sacrificed, or allied-with.

16 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Even in TTT, Thrawn isn't especially malicious or cruel. And his ability to deduce stuff, and not make traditional Evil Overlord mistakes, was his main selling point.

This Thrawn is the same. While not cruel, he's still ruthless - the kind of person who would happily sacrifice the Empire if it saved his own people - the Chiss. That's his reason for joining them - to see if they are to be sacrificed, or allied-with.

He is an evil bastard in TTT. Not Palpatine level batshit crazy evil, but still.

Rebels show him as cruel, efficient, devoted to the Emperor, and there comes Zahn with his classic "Oh, guys, no, you got the wrong idea, Thrawn is the good guy here, he doesn't like what Sheev is doing, he is against civilian casualities, he orders his troops to use non-lethal weapons, and all he does only to save his poor people from the Greater Evil"

I think that overstates things a bit.

Thrawn shows that he's willing to accept the Empire's enslavement of people, for example - his aide, by contrast, seems much more revolted by the Empire's use of slavery. 

The gap between novel Thrawn and Rebels Thrawn is noticeable - but it's not quite as wide as you're suggesting.

Sad this will be the final season. Excited there will be more new series' to come.

Worried that Hera talks about everyone in the past tense, but that might only mean they went separate ways and not all died.

The noghri thing will be interesting. Their story as a race was interesting in the Thrawn Trilogy. If they don't let Thrawn and Ruhk survive this series they'll be letting escape all those possibilities as post-endor stories.

I demand a Chopper spin-off series.

4 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Another ship in our future?

IMG_2271.jpg

You see it again, from the front, at 1:33.

It's definitely a U-Wing, just without its top two engines, and the 'wings' appear broken off just before the nose (IE., aren't as long as usual).

Maybe a salvaged ship from a crash?  We see them flying a more stereotypical U-Wing earlier in the trailer...

2 hours ago, mithril2098 said:

My guess on the two engine U-wing? It is actually a BT-45D, the civilian version of the U-wing that the  UT-60D militarized U-wings we saw in Rogue One were developed from.

Normally they don't have hyperdrives, but if the old phantom could get one, you could after market mod a BT-45D fairly easily.

One problem, that both has a Hyperdrive and the BT-45D has four engines. Look at the specs again.

Those specs are speculative, based on the fact the UT-60D has four engines. If you check the citations for the material, you'll note that whole article is based on an offhand mention in Rogue One supplementary materials. As such the only confirmed thing is it exists. All others are speculative.

As for hyperdrive, the SW setting is one where hyperdrive can be added after construction. It would not be a big stretch to assume a civilian model had hyperdrive as an optional feature rather than standard.

Edited by mithril2098

24 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

Can we talk about Hera weaponizing the jump to lightspeed by doing it inside a hangar full of TIEs?

Luckily she didn't hit anything on her way out.  Probably did at least some damage to her own ship tho.