Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

12 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

This.

A basic chassis, in military terms, just dictates general terms like the displacement of a hull - and because building the hull is a huge initial cost in both time, money, and materiel, it's often more cost-efficient to upgrade them when new technology comes out rather than replace them entirely. It cost half a million each to replace the electronics in an F/A-22 a decade ago, for example, but $95 million to buy an F-35A - buying one F35A costs almost as much as replacing electronics in the entire FLEET of F/A-22s that the USAF runs. Military craft are often designed with the upgrade cycle in mind, too; components are designed to be easily removed and installing more modern ones will often take about as long as replacing an old one.

So in real terms, ISD-Is would go into drydock and come out six months later as ISD-IIs, rather than spending a year building a new ISD-II from the ground up. Times are completely guessed at in nucanon, mind you.

the EU's version of this was with Mandators. In The Essential Guide to Warfare, we find that the Republic upgraded some original Mandators to Mandator-II standard, in addition to building all-new Mandator-IIs.

On 3/30/2017 at 4:01 PM, GrimmyV said:

ISD-I and -II designations have always bugged me since WEG.  If there is that much of a difference then they are actually two seperate classes.  Name them different classes and get on with it.

Believe it or not these sort of designations exist in real life, with things ether being minorly different, and majorly.  Also in the sw universe ships of the same classes also had modifications done to them, that made them extremely unique.  Vaders IMP-1 was modified to be best, or one of the best, of all the ships in the fleet.  The Star Destroyers used for outer-rim exploration had differnt types of sensors than what was standard, and there was at least one Imperial Class that had all its' broadsides removed and replaced with proton torpedo or super heavy proton torpedo launchers.

2 hours ago, Black Knight Leader said:

Believe it or not these sort of designations exist in real life, with things ether being minorly different, and majorly.  Also in the sw universe ships of the same classes also had modifications done to them, that made them extremely unique.  Vaders IMP-1 was modified to be best, or one of the best, of all the ships in the fleet.  The Star Destroyers used for outer-rim exploration had differnt types of sensors than what was standard, and there was at least one Imperial Class that had all its' broadsides removed and replaced with proton torpedo or super heavy proton torpedo launchers.

The Devaststor seemed to have A LOT of guns compared to the Avenger, and maybe most other ISDs.  In addition to the 8 big turrets flanking the tower there were the axial batteries and the lateral quads, and those were just the visible ones.  The ventral surface obvious had anti-starfighter guns as seen in the escape pod scene.  Perhaps Vader liked to customize his flagship as much as his personal fighter.  So even the most well known ISD can't be taken as the standard for the class.  

1 hour ago, GrimmyV said:

The Devaststor seemed to have A LOT of guns compared to the Avenger, and maybe most other ISDs.  In addition to the 8 big turrets flanking the tower there were the axial batteries and the lateral quads, and those were just the visible ones.  The ventral surface obvious had anti-starfighter guns as seen in the escape pod scene.  Perhaps Vader liked to customize his flagship as much as his personal fighter.  So even the most well known ISD can't be taken as the standard for the class.  

I am not sure if he was directly responsible for it, the commander of the Devastator during Endors conflict remarked about his ship was still state of the art.   For the lolz if I had my own Star Destroyer i would name it the ISD Grappler, and replace every single weapon aboard it with tractor beam projectors, and then teach the crew to catch and smash ships by forcing them to collide with the SD shields or other hard objects.   For big ships, I would latch onto them, pull them into hyperpace and then chuck them at something.  Though if the enemy jams my targeting systems by tractor beams will be more useless than turbo laser that can't get a true lock.

Or the ISD Krakken.

Edited by Black Knight Leader

6 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

I dont know. I was under the impression that Darth Vader just had an extrememly well trained and motivated crew. The captain is also described as being very competent.  Whereas the crews on the Destroyers guarding Scarif are just waking up and most likely are not nearly as good as the Devastator's even at full preparedness. I imagine not even all the guns were manned by the time Lightbringer brought the two ships colliding into eachother. The battle wasnt very long and an ISD is huge.

It would be great if this season led directly into Rogue One or ended on the Battle of Scarrif but it will be what it will. Here is to hoping that they are already starting work on another series, at least getting the preliminary work done sine I like seeing Star Wars stuff like this on TV. 

And basically what is in the trailer:

Mandalore stuff

X-wings (Green Squadron?)

Thrawn

U-Wings

Saw Gerra

Yavin

Bo Katan

Tie Defenders in action

The tank from Rogue One shows up

I was too sloooow!

Well, I love the Trailer, more  Thrawn, some Saw, some Bo Katan (don't like her thoe (because I don't like CW)), wierd space wolf horses (**** Fenrisians Filoni), love Kallus' new look.
But it seems very final to me. 
Seems like some or most are about to die. Kanans sentence seems to be a connection to The Last Jedi (we are the balance) 
I hope we'll see how the Partisans split off from the Rebels and I hope that Thrawn still does not die, but he might.

All in all I'm verry excited!

Green squadron X-Wings? Given FFG's apparent love for the show, maybe we'll finally see an X-Wing fix?
(Yes, I went there).

I really hope that Thrawn is able to really hurt the rebels - his season finale showdown was good, but could have been more. Looks like plenty of action and stuff to draw on for X-wing, whatever happens.