Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

12 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

Why didn't Konstantine just use the gravity well generators to repulse Sato's ship? I'm pretty sure that would have worked. Maybe there wasn't time.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they don't work that way

2 hours ago, LunarSol said:

As I thought on it, I got the impression that Tarkin's request for prisoners forced Thrawn to do a lot of unnecessary things.  In the initial space conflict he mostly bullies the rebel ships back to the surface.  Likewise the orbital bombardment clearly isn't intended to actually break through the shield, but rather force everyone under it, so they can be captured in a ground assault.

As to why they didn't ion the ships in space and pull them in to the SDs with tractor beams?  I have no idea honestly, but at least the plan used worked as intended for the most part until giant cloud face showed up.

Ion cannons, on ISDs?  This is NuCanon, not Legends.

I notice that people question the Interdictor's captain approach. Did not use gravity Wells etc. What he did was disobeying direct order in the field of battle. That is court martial. 

21 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

And During a Time of War, the penalty can quite often be Death.

...  Oh, Look at that.

I thought you were quoting a book for about a minute or so.

I even looked up Time of War by Michael Peterson trying to figure out the connection. I thought During was a character who talked to someone called Death and that you were being terribly cerebral or something. 

In hindsight you could do worse than to reign in your capitalization. I'm just thinking about your audience you see. 

Edited by OneKelvin

3 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

Konstantine is probably one of the characters which makes me go: "Um... maybe Vader's management technique actually makes sense in the Empire."

Now I think about how amazing it would've been if Vader chocked him to death 

1 hour ago, OneKelvin said:

I thought you were quoting a book for about a minute or so.

I even looked up Time of War by Michael Peterson trying to figure out the connection. I thought During was a character who talked to someone called Death and that you were being terribly cerebral or something. 

In hindsight you could do worse than to reign in your capitalization. I'm just thinking about your audience you see. 

My audience generally appreciates my insights.  As my post-to-like ratio generally attests...  I've been quite blessed.

I just don't come over to this forum all that often.

4 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

And During a Time of War, the penalty can quite often be Death.

...  Oh, Look at that.

I half expected Sato  to attempt ramming thrawn, in which case he would attempt to move his ship out of the way, Konstantine would be blocking thrawn, which in turn thrawn would obliterate Sato's ship, and then Konstantine for disobeying direct orders, but still giving Ezra the opening.

16 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

That would require Thrawn to be Villain Stupid though and that's just not appropriate for the character.

Thrawn killing incompotent officers is very much in character. Maybe not to purposefully give Ezra the escape, but after Ezra is gone into hyperspace, yeah konstantine would have been very dead, if not by rebels, by the Chimera.

14 hours ago, GrimmyV said:

Ion cannons, on ISDs?  This is NuCanon, not Legends.

The rearmost battery on both sides is ion in ISD-I according to the R1 Visual Guide, although for some bizzare reason we see ISD-II gun setup in this episode.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

The rearmost battery on both sides is ion in ISD-I according to the R1 Visual Guide, although for some bizzare reason we see ISD-II gun setup in this episode.

Wherever it's possible to see ISD guns in Rebels, they are ISD-II. So are the domes. And the bridge exterior more closely resembles ISD-II than ISD-I, as do the engines.

If it weren't for the tractor targeting array, there would be very little commonality with the ISD-I at all. I think the McQuarrie ISD art that they use as a basis - was originally created for TESB, not ANH, and was concept art of the approach to Hoth.

5 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Killing incompetent officers yes.  Blowing up a vital strategic asset in the middle of an operation to do so?  Not so much.  That's the difference between ruthlessly evil and Villain Stupid.

Indeed.  One thing Thrawn does not do is waste resources.  He would execute Konstantine later.  Not intentionally sacrifice and entire Interdictor and it's entire trained crew to do so.

2 hours ago, eMeM said:

I've been well aware of the rear dorsal ion batteries on the Devaststor/ISD-I for decades.  I'm just not convinced they are still ion cannons in NuCanon/Rebels.

1 hour ago, GrimmyV said:

I've been well aware of the rear dorsal ion batteries on the Devaststor/ISD-I for decades.  I'm just not convinced they are still ion cannons in NuCanon/Rebels.

It really depends how literally we are supposed to take the ship appearances. If we take the approach that movies in general and Rogue One in particular, are accurate and TV less accurate, then we can put down all differences, to artistic licence, and assume that all Rebels ISDs "really" look like Rogue One ones.

1 hour ago, GrimmyV said:

Rebels use IDS-II layout with eigth octuple turbolaser turrets, ISD-I has two heavy ion cannon turrets and it's canon, there is really nothing to be convinced of.

2 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

Don't take this the wrong way guys, but your knowledge of Imperial Star Destroyers is scary!  I don't think I would have the guts to be an employe at anything Star Wars related for fear of missing one of those details :P

As a side note, this is something I've always wondered: for established universes, just how knowledgeable of such details are the guys in charge of doing them for films, comics etc.

46 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

As a side note, this is something I've always wondered: for established universes, just how knowledgeable of such details are the guys in charge of doing them for films, comics etc.

Those in charge of the story; probably a lot.  I wonder if there's an entry exam (I would like to see that) or you at least need to win a few games at a Star Wars trivia game.

The guy who likes Star Wars and is a computer graphics expert, they might let him get in as long as he knows what a Twi'lek is :P

That being said, I could totally imagine someone dropping the wrong ISD blueprints in front of the graphics department and no one catching on until 3 weeks have passed and too much money has been spent to try and fix it.  By that point, they might simply say "ah screw it, most people will enjoy the show anyway."