KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

2 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Well, they used to work like this:

04740219d2d756695161322f9f4f2faa7345fa38

Now it just seems more like they generate a bubble of no-hyperspace around the ship itself.

While it is not 100% clear, Heir of the Empire (my new favourite source) featured some Interdictors aswell, and they seem to work simillar like in the Picture.

The Gravitywells have to be oriented and for a reorientation they have to be shut down and reactivated, a task which can be done in about one Minute by experienced Staff.
I guess because Thrawn had two and they were so close to the planets gravity well, a jump was impossible. 
I think Constantine even mentiones reorienting the Gravity Wells, basically leaving a Flank open (if that wasn't the case, it got destroyed anyways) 

9 minutes ago, Arterial Spray said:

Perhaps they were amongst the SDs hit with ion cannon volleys off screen, they would seem priority targets after all. 

But we're 'classic' shields the big attack absorbing bubbles? I remember their first appearance on screen in episode 1 upsetting a lot of people. 

Shields as previously shown seem more ephemeral, sometimes they stop a bit altogether, sometimes they perhaps absorb the worst of it, sometimes they do nothing. Given lines like "Chewie, angle the deflector shields", I've always figured that shields on anything big enough to have multiple crew were some sort of active defence requiring careful monitoring rather than a star trek impervious bubble. 

Ship based deflectors and maybe even the shields on things like the Death Star and Hoth are just ambiguous flash effects when a ship takes a hit - like a spark of electricity and maybe a different tint to the flash (but no explosion effect). Rebels does this too with the Ghost and the Defender prototype. Ground-based shields have only ever been actually depicted as giant bubbles around a generator - but even the OT establishes ground forces penetrating them (AT-AT insertion at Hoth to destroy the generator so air vehicles get in - so I guess Sabine didn't invent a shield you can walk through). ESB doesn't really show the shield visibly, but we know it's there. We only see dome shields starting with TPM. In Legends, whole planet shields were a thing, but they're build basically out of hexagonal "cells" of shielding which can be turned on an off as needed. Scariff's shield gate is kind of like that, but it's a single external point of shielding which has one opening to otherwise wrap the entire planet. They're also supposed to be basically impossible to break down via external force, you have to either destroy the generators or siege the planet until they open up. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost XV15 said:

While it is not 100% clear, Heir of the Empire (my new favourite source) featured some Interdictors aswell, and they seem to work simillar like in the Picture.

The Gravitywells have to be oriented and for a reorientation they have to be shut down and reactivated, a task which can be done in about one Minute by experienced Staff.
I guess because Thrawn had two and they were so close to the planets gravity well, a jump was impossible. 
I think Constantine even mentiones reorienting the Gravity Wells, basically leaving a Flank open (if that wasn't the case, it got destroyed anyways) 

I feel like Rebels treats them more like tractor beams, though.

Interdictors "Pull" ships out of hyperspace (If you notice, the first time one appears it draws in every ship around it. The second time a Nebulon is drifting backwards after being pulled out.)

When Konstantine went after the Carrier he made it sound like he wanted to keep it stationary so he could shoot it better (or just to keep them from escaping, not like they already weren't preventing that)

26 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Now it just seems more like they generate a bubble of no-hyperspace around the ship itself.

If that's an old WEG source, that's probably how they're intended to work or something like it - but in FFG's materials for the RPG, they just have a set cut off range in space where the Gravity Well effect stops - you must maneuver beyond that range to jump. If that's how they worked though, I don't see why the Gauntlet couldn't just punch past the interdictor and leg it in open space for a while rather than needing to destroy one. 

38 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I would like to imagine that Interdictors are capable of both? 

However generating a large field around the ship as opposed to smaller bubbles in four place maybe more effective.  

Edited by Forresto

Does it bother anyone else that the Rebels are so comfortable with just Kamikaze-ing their ships into Star Destroyers? I know it's always at the "most desperate" times, (Scarriff and now this episode) but still it seems like lazy writing. Also I totally agree with whoever it was above, about the Mandos and Ezra destroying/disabling the Interdictor with small arms fire. That was totally bogus. Sabine was even there! Give her a bomb and it makes way more sense!

6 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

Does it bother anyone else that the Rebels are so comfortable with just Kamikaze-ing their ships into Star Destroyers? I know it's always at the "most desperate" times, (Scarriff and now this episode) but still it seems like lazy writing.

I mean, if you don't mind dying, it seems like a pretty good tradeoff purely by the numbers.  Star Destroyers are vastly superior ships.  If you can take one out by sacrificing a lesser ship, well...

Of course the problem with that is that the Empire has more Star Destroyers than the Rebellion has every other type of ship combined.  Including starfighters.  So the Rebellion could ram ships through Star Destroyers all day and not make any real progress.

21 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

Does it bother anyone else that the Rebels are so comfortable with just Kamikaze-ing their ships into Star Destroyers? I know it's always at the "most desperate" times, (Scarriff and now this episode) but still it seems like lazy writing. Also I totally agree with whoever it was above, about the Mandos and Ezra destroying/disabling the Interdictor with small arms fire. That was totally bogus. Sabine was even there! Give her a bomb and it makes way more sense!

It does feel a bit overplayed since we just saw it in Rogue One.

I did have flashbacks to another tabletop wargame, Battletech, where their WarShips - INCREDIBLY rare ships in the setting, space combat was virtually unknown for two hundred years because they all too often ended up destroying each other - kept ramming their opponents in the game fiction instead of, say, using guns or fleeing if outmatched. "Most expensive torpedo we ever bought," was the general consensus among fans.

7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

When she ordered them to throw him out an airlock, I don't think she intended for it to be in an escape pod.

8 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

I'm not convinced. She should have known Kallus could take out two mook storm trooper dudes. 

I'm just wondering if there's more to it. 

1 hour ago, JJFDVORAK said:

It should be pretty obvious that most characters are going to be willing to die for this cause. If they think that sacrificing a single ship or themselves for a better outcome is what needs to be done, then they'll be ready to do it, no matter if they're "comfortable" with it or not.

If that's what you consider lazy writing, I don't know what would make you happy.

I do kind of agree about the Mando-Interdictor defeat, but the finishing blow was made by a bunch of rockets (projectile bombs if you will). These shields aren't designed to repel physical objects as established in the episode itself.

Edited by MPG

7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Um...how exactly?  They lost their base, their flagship, and most of the rest of their fleet and gained...nothing.

Like, originally I thought they were going to lose their fleet taking out the TIE Defender factory, but they never even got to LAUNCH their attack.

The Rebels were decimated in exchange for absolutely nothing.  I'm not sure what your definition of coming out on top is, but mine sure isn't that.

In a guerrilla fight, not getting wiped out by the superior force is victory in itself. 

Thrawn's attack was ultimately unsuccessful. No one captured and the more important rebel personnel fled. 

Edited by Jo Jo

17 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

In a guerrilla fight, not getting wiped out by the superior force is victory in itself. 

Thrawn's attack was ultimately unsuccessful. No one captured and the more important rebel personnel fled. 

Then this battle is classified as a Pyrrhic victory, even though the definition in itself can be taken as defeat. (I find the term rather stupid)

I personally wouldn't consider the loss of 15 or so ships, a military commander, and a base a victory.

Edited by MPG

The rebel fleet was completely outgunned even by the smaller imperial capital ships present (argh kittens and interedictors), and even one ISD could have been a match for the entire rebel fleet.  The attempts to take out even one much less both Interdictors through ship to ship combat was futile since the ISDs could concentrate fire on the forward rebel ships and dispatch them all before enough damage could be done to break the imperial line.  Sato's sacrifice was the only way to get even one ship past the blockade.  

I wonder which was the worse defeat, this battle or Hoth.  Now I'm beginning to understand why Scarif was an actual victory for the Rebs, they weren't just fleeing from a blockaded base, they actually had a goal and succeeded.  

23 hours ago, codegnave said:

A 'laser' wont explode upon impact with a planetary surface. Unless there are subterranean caverns its just going to punch a hole in the ground. I agree that the turbolasers were a bit underwhelming, but saying they should have been Tsar Bomba levels is an absurdity.

Also, consistency is not the language of Star Wars, especially technologically.

Like I have pointed out before, you shouldn't assume the multitude of different ships, and all there different models of weapons and equipment should be equal in capabilities.

21 hours ago, SEApocalypse said:

They are supposed to transfer at least 5 gt worth of energy. It matters little if that energy is used for penetration power and bunching holes into the ground, which erupts afterwards with super-heated plasma rock or not. The energy needs to go somewhere after it has been transfer to the ground. 

Now that consistency is not a thing star wars bothers with … not sure on that one in this regard actually. Considering the firepower of those weapons simply lower sounds like a very plausible way to achieve consistency. DBZ operations of single star destroyers are of the table sure, but that was legends stuff anyway and really not essential to the consistency of the current canon material. Leaves just the ESB asteroid vaporisation as inconstancy, which is not really a big thing. It's a fluke and that's it. 

Considering the shots were heading towards whatever his name is, the Blind Jedi, he may have used the force to try and obsorb as mush of the beams as he could, or the energy that would be released, to protect himself.  This is not by far the first time they have done this, jedi even have used sustain to survie reactor breaches and exposure to hyperspace at the same time, if stories are taken in as composite, and even then, they used force to survive one or the other, reactor leak, or exposure to hyper space.  That excludes the gravatainal forces that ships would be subjected too flying close to protostars.

20 hours ago, Wilhelm Screamer said:

Listen Curtis Saxton, don't bring your gigatons here

Canon is canon, and they were re-posted in primary canon sources, including source books, and the books themselves were re-printed with zero legends tags, so it is primary canon.  Don't forget they flew through an area where storms were forming, last I checked, the uper end of heat that the clouds could be at, temp wise, was like 22k kelven, maybe more.

18 hours ago, OneKelvin said:

I was always of the opinion that blast-type AOE weapons weren't very common in Star Wars because the basic armor completely negates them. A proton bomb is less bomb and more protons, a turbo laser is less laser and more turbo, a blaster is less blast and more... er....

That's also why they get up close - the shields and ships could just shrug off nukes and missile blasts,  so warfare has come to a point of closing up along side and drilling through the enemy defenses with highly-focused plasma weapons.

Even in real space a nuke doesn't do much damage, and we still don't know the exact mechanism for energy shields: do they absorb damage, redirect it, etc? I think shields and hyperdrive make the game here.

Picture two knights fighting. Full plate armor, the works. There's no point in using a sling, and little point in using a bow, saber, or shield. A bow won't penetrate, a shield is superfluous, and you can not cut through plate.

Your best bets for weapons are a poleaxe, a mace, or a rondel dagger - all of which involve getting up-close and personal to deal with the mighty tin can.

Nowadays you'd scoff at the idea of up-and-personal combat on the seas or in person. "Their armor can't block .50 rounds!" you'd say, "so why wouldn't I fight from a distance?" But in Star Wars the pendulum has swung back, and defenses are very, very, powerful compared to the weapons. Ships can sit back and chillax, safe under shields and armor while a laser a thousand miles away lights them up like a Christmas tree, then hyper-drive to within a couple kilometers of it (and the ships are measured in kilometers long) and hammer it with slow-but-powerful plasma weapons.

I'm sure they make bullet-proof armor in Star Wars, but no one uses it because everyone already has blasters. Remember how armies just dropped armor after the gun was invented? No-one used bows anymore, so why spend the money on it? It's just that the weapon invented to defeat armor and shields in Star Wars comes in the form a slow-moving projectile, so while land combat with ranges of 1-2 km is relatively the same, space combat has narrowed down to ranges of 1-2 km and is back to dogfighting and cap-ship slugfests.

Your right about proton weapons, in that they are not real explosives, they are shaped super particle beam weapons that are super unstable.   Lasers are very exotic advanced laser weapons, Blasters are plasma particle beam weapons.

While getting up close helps, it really is because how powerful the ecm of all the ships are that limits there ranges.  If they were fighting ships that didn't have ecm, like most of Star Trek, they will have the same accuracy as Trek Ships only they can fight a light minute ranges.

Going by what ECM is described doing, it appears to make even light based weapons ver off course.   Theres no faction except Zann, that has plasma weapons more powerful than the majority of laser weapons in sw.

18 hours ago, Ironlord said:

I figure that most of the references to kilotons and gigatons could be changed to kilojoules and gigajoules (and terajoules for Star Destroyer-sized vessels) without much of a problem. Mike Stackpole consistently used those terms in the X-wing series.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/isd.html

Estimates of the melting plus vaporisation energy [by Eric Vandersall] are 32 TJ and 260 TJ respectively for 20m and 40m diameter asteroids at an initial temperature of about 206K. These are uncertain as detailed values, since the heating process process is non-equilibrium, supersonic and takes place in vacuo. Nevertheless, these results are plausibly indicative order-of-magnitude estimates.

So, even Saxton gives terajoules as TESB asteroid vaporisation levels of energy.

That said, the bolts landing near Kanan are weaker - more like kilojoules than terajoules.

Possible answer for those who like bigger energies - Thrawn is specifically trying to take Rebel Officers alive. So he begins with the guns dialed down to minimum power (hence the few shots that miss the shield and land near Kanan) - the targeting crews adjust their aims till all the shots are landing on the shield - then they gently start ramping up the energies once all the shots are landing on the shield, and deliver what's intended to be a barrage that will overwhelm the shield without destroying the base and everyone in it.

The shield turns out to be a little too tough to be overwhelmed - so they send down the walkers.

BDZ does get mentioned in Rebels once - Season 1, the Luminara episode that introduces the Grand Inquisitor - begins with a Holonet report "Another planet liberated using the Base Delta Zero initiative" and in Sabine's Journal (tie-in book) she explains that what they really mean is exterminating the entire population.

However - in the context of the newcanon - it may not mean deep planet crust melting anymore (that was mostly Saxton's interpretation). I could see "newcanon BDZs" being handled a little differently - TIE bombers dropping bombs, as well as Star Destroyers dropping turbolaser bolts.

I talk about most your points earlier in this post.  BDZ is also in the Rogue one Catalyst, they are destroying the surface of a planet with one SD.

13 hours ago, LordBlades said:

According to the new Rebels cannon apparently corvettes (and a few other small capital ships) are made of paper and TIE lasers are made of win. Remember what Vader did to Sato's first ship and how a single interceptor almost killed a corvette in Wedge's escape from the Imperial Academy.

Interceptors have always been very dangerious to cap ships... Even if you ignore every primary and secondary canon source with them wrecking cap ships really fast, you don't think the empire would send them to attack cap ships if they couldn't harm them like they did in ROTJ?

On 3/25/2017 at 7:18 PM, SEApocalypse said:

And with little to no effect. Take note that based on what we have seen, we would need to assume that heavy turbolasers have less firepower than modern artillery. This is a trend in recent star wars, as Rogue One had the same problem. Each and everyone of those shots missing the shield and hitting the area around it should have been more like this:

34.jpg

And it would have been a lot cooler for Kanan to hide from those blast-waves instead in some cave with the bugs instead of literally avoiding turbolaser hits, going in 2m away from him at best. Rebels really is horrible when dealing with scales. 

You are kidding, Heavy Lasers have less firepower than modern artys...  I already talked about what we saw in Rogue 1, the models of weapons used can't be determined, nor the projectiles.  Going with what you are saying these ships would never even be able to survive even leaving a planet, let alone surviving the gas cloud that had proto stars forming in them, which as I pointed out, high end temps are around 22k kelvin, and gravity would be crazy high compared to flying around planets like earth.  Lowest end would be 7k kelvin, and that is doubtfully the temperatures they went through since a Space Shuttle can survive that better than those ships did, yet they are depicted leaving planets of various sizes all the time very fast.

5 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Ship based deflectors and maybe even the shields on things like the Death Star and Hoth are just ambiguous flash effects when a ship takes a hit - like a spark of electricity and maybe a different tint to the flash (but no explosion effect). Rebels does this too with the Ghost and the Defender prototype. Ground-based shields have only ever been actually depicted as giant bubbles around a generator - but even the OT establishes ground forces penetrating them (AT-AT insertion at Hoth to destroy the generator so air vehicles get in - so I guess Sabine didn't invent a shield you can walk through). ESB doesn't really show the shield visibly, but we know it's there. We only see dome shields starting with TPM. In Legends, whole planet shields were a thing, but they're build basically out of hexagonal "cells" of shielding which can be turned on an off as needed. Scariff's shield gate is kind of like that, but it's a single external point of shielding which has one opening to otherwise wrap the entire planet. They're also supposed to be basically impossible to break down via external force, you have to either destroy the generators or siege the planet until they open up. 

The Death Stars, or at least the 2nd Death Star, could stop anything up to a Super Laser and because of how it effects things, it flat out would vaporize anything touching it, unlike any shield you have seen in the series.  Espeically the Plantary shields used in Rogue 1, they were basically like a solid wall.

They never penetrated the shields on hoth. It was a like portable quick uses planetary shield, it only made umbrella shaped shields, though ships couldn't get an angle on the Rebel buildings via the edges outside the shield, they could land troops so far outside it that they just walked past it, they didn't walk through it.

7 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

So this is definitely a NEW idea in the Star Wars universe, but I think it's the one they're going with (because it makes more dramatic battles), and can be summed up simply:

Defense makes long range and medium range combat impractical or impossible, so you have to close to what is in space warfare terms ridiculously close distances.

Perhaps they are literally 'deflector' shields, and a long range shot would simply be bounced in the wrong direction. If they're going with this notion, it explains why we don't see capital ship shields as being effective at all, because against bombs or fighter shots they're NOT - they probably block some punishment, but overall don't do a great deal 

The only thing I don't like about this notion is that we see how classic SW shields are supposed to work in the ground bombardment of this episode.

But YES, this episode. I thought the death flags were everywhere ("I don't have anything left to teach you, Ezra") but sadly they did not resolve. Or happily? And Hera/Kanan was great. ("This is your friend?" "I might have made him mad." "I can relate...")

Sorta, ECM capabilities make long ranged attacks more difficult because of false lock-ons, the ability to make lasers veer off course, probably other projectiles as well, or not getting a lock-on at all, or even not detecting the ships, makes it hard to do so, unless the enemies are so under-powered in that field that there enemies easily lock-on to them.

22 hours ago, Odanan said:

Those "things" the guns shoot in Star Wars are not even close to what lasers are... they work much more like plasma guns, actually.

Yes they are, they are a very advanced form of Light based projectile.  The photons are focused and molded into bolts, also now the photons are so close together they can put more high energy photons per square inch.  Hard light is a real thing now, and the description for SW Lasers, what they are, fits the hard light descriptions, and apparently hard light, when it is made into hard-light, is visible and can, is thought, be made into three dimensional objects.  

Plasma could make a good window on space craft, but as weapon used in space, it suffers pretty bad.

20 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Agreed.  I was surprised that the attack on Lothal never even got the chance to happen.  And even more surprised that Bendu got involved.

And then even further surprised that, when confronted with a nonsense Galactus cloud, Thrawn's response was to shoot it in the face.  And that that worked!

Why would he be old?  He's an alien.  He might not have aged appreciably at all.

Agreed.  I know ships are portrayed to be unnecessarily fragile in Rebels, but the idea that getting hit with a turbolaser is like getting nuked is ridiculous.  Proton Bombs aren't even that powerful, and a proton bomb deals a lot more damage than a turbolaser blast.

Anyway, I really liked the episode.  The Rebellion got the defeat I was hoping it would.  

On the one hand, I'm super relieved that Thrawn survived.  On the other hand, it seems like they might be keeping him around for future seasons.  Which means they might still kill him later, and I've only postponed my outrage.

I really want him to survive the series.  Like, I know on an intellectual level that the Thrawn trilogy probably won't happen, but I feel like it still COULD fit in with the new canon with some rewriting.  And I want that to still be a possibility someday.

Thrawn sucked, he should have known he would have a ships captain fail him via being over ambitious and cost the fleet a victory in the end by getting his ship destroyed.

48 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Typical rebellion propaganda :P

Thrawn's mission was to eliminate the rebel presence in the Lothal Sector. He accomplished that and the Lothal Cell no longer exists. Thats a victory. 

Most victories in real life didnt involve the complete annhilation of the enemy, although there are certainly many examples of those in history. 

9 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

Big ole 'MEH' from me. I mean Thrawn sort of won, but it still felt like the Rebels came out on top...again. I at least expected a main character to die, either Kanan or Kallus. I feel like both of those characters have served out their usefulness. Hell, even Kanan said to Ezra there isn't anymore he can teach him in the beginning of the episode. 

One of my biggest gripes about Thrawn (despite the fact that he hasn't done much) this season is what made him to me very interesting in Legends was his care for the troops under his command. In the Legends materials he didn't look at his men as expendable fodder but more as valuable assets that should not be wasted foolishly. It made him stand out even more in the Imperial ranks as every other commander had the opposite mindset. In the show he doesn't seem concerned about the loss of his troops and equipment at all. Would have like to see that part of his mentality on the show. 

Thrawn wasn't that nice, he had a guys head cut off for failing to do his job properly.  If you want a compassionate Grand Admiral look no further than "Grand Admiral Osvald Teshik".  He went out of his way to stay behind and make sure the whole Imperial Fleet escaped Endor, while he alone, in his Command Ship, stayed behind and fought the Rebel Fleet for hours before being disabled.  He is known for taking on fleets of ships when the odds are super against him and survive.   It's debatable if you can count them as victories, however, on endor, he intended to stay behind and let the IMPs escape, and he did.  Earlier in his career he took on an enemy fleet, the Haapens, with just a single Light Cruiser, it only had two turbo lasers, he also had 4-8 gunships, and 2-4 TIE Groups, maybe just 2-4 Squadrons, the fleet he fought was 72-2,000 + ships.  He lost everything but survived.  That is a better feat than anything Thrawn has done, because Teshik was put in a situation where he was supposed to die, and he couldn't use anything else better.  i would like to see Thrawn do the same. 

On 21/03/2017 at 3:55 PM, Karhedron said:

According to the old RPGs, the Falcon had a backup hyperdrive. It was incredibly slow and absolutely no use for escaping from the Empire but it was enough to get them from Anoat to Bespin without dying of old age along the way.

I agree that the middle-section of ESB is meant to show a significant (albeit undefined) portion of time. When Luke is about to leave, Yoda says "Remember your failure at the cave" to which Luke responds "But I've learned so much since then". Luke's reply would make no sense if it had only been a matter of days. Clearly a decent enough interval has passed for Luke to consider it as no longer applicable.

I know about the back up hyperdrive from being a gamer but i never even considered the possibility of a large time gap story wise in Empire ?

4 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

It does feel a bit overplayed since we just saw it in Rogue One.

Agreed although to be fair to Rebels from Rebels Recon it sounds like Rogue One was still in production when they were finalizing this finale. 

On 3/25/2017 at 9:15 PM, SEApocalypse said:

Leaves just the ESB asteroid vaporisation as inconstancy, which is not really a big thing.

Eh...but in ESB, the asteroids explode when they hit EACH OTHER.

The assumption any of those articles begin with, the the rocks must be some kind if high-density metal, are obviously false on the surface.  They hit each other and explode.

Seems likelier that asteroids in the Star Wars universe are actually more like hollow shells filled with hydrogen gas or something...

8 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Agreed although to be fair to Rebels from Rebels Recon it sounds like Rogue One was still in production when they were finalizing this finale. 

Which is why it's more annoying. Because they all sit in on the story group meetings and should have realized that the scene of a rebel ship crashing into a star destroyer/Interdictor was being duplicated. One of the two(most likely Rebels) should have done something else. Now if in season four, the crew discusses Sato's death with his nephew and Admiral Raddus is there, maybe it could be implied that Raddus got the tactic from Sato and that would be cool.