KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

Even if you exterminated all of the Force Users in the galaxy, more of them would be born from the offspring of non sensitives.  You would have to put like Ysalamir (if that's ever canon again) paste in the entire galactic food source to wipe them out or at least suppress Force Sensitivity like what the US gov apparently did to the mutants in new Logan x-men movie.  That seems very unfeasible on a galactic scale it may be entirely feasible to implement such a plan on a few worlds but I doubt you could remove the presence of the Force from the Galaxy entirely.

Bringing balance to the force meant something different to every jedi.

For Qui Gon it meant training anyone regardless of age or homocidal tendencies.

For Kenobi, it meant stopping Palpatine after the tyrant killed all his friends.

For Luke it meant creating a new school so his best friends son could stab them both in the heart; first figuratively, then literally.

But for Yoda, it meant teaching a padawan upside down on 1 arm stacking rocks in the swamp. Force Balance in action!

giphy.gif

If someone else already posted this, I apologize, but I believe those are death troopers accompanying Thrawn out of the shuttle at 00:04 in the new trailer.  The front ones are in shadow, but the ones in the back are still in the light and appear to be in black armor.  Also, the helmet shape appears to be that of a death trooper, but the blasters are the big giveaway.  

The common misconception with the force is that there is a LIGHT side that needs balancing with the dark. The truth is that the force is actually just naturally balanced and the Dark Side represents imbalance within the force. 
The Dark Side causes chaos and destruction. Its raw power and a tainted and more streamlined version of the Force. It pains the force.

The only way to bring balance to the force is to be rid of those who use the Dark Side. 

Gray Jedi are also really stupid because you aren't balanced by using the dark side (or edgy which is often the case that the writers are trying to achieve) 

To put the force simply

You don't balance the force by killing 20 younglings to save one woman. This brings imbalance to the force and causes nothing but pain

Edited by Tailsgod

3 hours ago, aRandomBoardGamingDude said:

Even if you exterminated all of the Force Users in the galaxy, more of them would be born from the offspring of non sensitives.  You would have to put like Ysalamir (if that's ever canon again) paste in the entire galactic food source to wipe them out or at least suppress Force Sensitivity like what the US gov apparently did to the mutants in new Logan x-men movie. 

Kill all the Midichlorians.  No more Force users.  Problem solved.

Two problems solved actually...

2 hours ago, Tailsgod said:

The common misconception with the force is that there is a LIGHT side that needs balancing with the dark. The truth is that the force is actually just naturally balanced and the Dark Side represents imbalance within the force. 
The Dark Side causes chaos and destruction. Its raw power and a tainted and more streamlined version of the Force. It pains the force.

The only way to bring balance to the force is to be rid of those who use the Dark Side. 

This is PROBABLY the correct interpretation the way Lucas intended it to be.

Edited by DarthEnderX

All I will say is that the massive rebel fleet at Scarif was having a lot of trouble dealing with only two Star Destroyers who were not only taken by surprise but probably not even fully crewed and the rebels only took them out because of chicanery and then lost a good chunk of the fleet to Vader's Destroyer. 

The rebel fleet seen from the trailers is probably a fifth the size of the Scarif fleet at most fighting a minimum of five highly ready, highly motivated, and well coordinated Star Destroyers and support ships. Plus we know from Secret Cargo that the rebels have tons of Corvettes and Nebulons and other Y-Wings so really the fleet at Antollon is entirely expendable except the Ghost.

Things can't go well for the Rebels. 

Edited by Forresto

Anyone else feel like Kenobi baited Maul into trying the hilt smash that killed Qui Gon?  He purposefully shifts from his own aggressive stance into Qui Gon's more neutral stance, which Maul should remember as being vulnerable to that attack.  Maul reacts, and Kenobi cuts him down.  The more I watch the duel the more that comes across to me.

1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

Anyone else feel like Kenobi baited Maul into trying the hilt smash that killed Qui Gon?  He purposefully shifts from his own aggressive stance into Qui Gon's more neutral stance, which Maul should remember as being vulnerable to that attack.  Maul reacts, and Kenobi cuts him down.  The more I watch the duel the more that comes across to me.

Aggressive? Kenobi learned several forms, but Form III was his expertise, and that is the defensive one.

In sword fighting at least that raised blade position he favours through the Clone Wars is an aggressive position intended to overwhelm the opponent's defence with the force of a blow.  He then shifts to a more neutral position intended to allow the blade to move more easily into a blocking position (again, in sword fighting terms).  I can't speak to what styles he learned, only what it looks like on the screen.

Prophecies almost never fail to suck.

It's basically a giant ****ing spoiler.  And the entire movie is spent trying to make sure the spoiler happens(or trying to avoid making it happen, only for it to happen anyway).

5 hours ago, patox said:

Who thinks Season 4 will be the last?

I hope not.

I want them to spend an entire season running from bounty hunters, then have season 5 be them getting back on their feet.

I realize the obvious end point for Rebels now is leading directly into Rogue One, but personally, I hope that just ends up being a season finale, and the series continues to follow the Ghost crew throughout the events of the entire original trilogy.

Edited by DarthEnderX

One thing that did catch me by surprise in this episode was not the duel, but the moment immediately following the duel where Kenobi catches Maul.  He did not let him fall to the ground while keeping his guard up, which would have been my reflex considering how dangerous Maul could be.  Instead, he caught him gently and then spoke to him almost tenderly.

It was as though Kenobi could see that Maul, like the rest of the Jedi order, had been played by Palpatine and as such, they shared a common grief.  He emphasized with Maul's pain and in the end, wished him to have a semblance of peace.

28 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

One thing that did catch me by surprise in this episode was not the duel, but the moment immediately following the duel where Kenobi catches Maul.  He did not let him fall to the ground while keeping his guard up, which would have been my reflex considering how dangerous Maul could be.  Instead, he caught him gently and then spoke to him almost tenderly.

It was as though Kenobi could see that Maul, like the rest of the Jedi order, had been played by Palpatine and as such, they shared a common grief.  He emphasized with Maul's pain and in the end, wished him to have a semblance of peace.

Maul was beaten before he got to the fight.  I actually found it really interesting how certain of events Obi-Wan is and how that parallels his certainty during the fight with Vader.  These two scenes probably embody the ideal of giving in to the Force better than anything else in the franchise.

As for the episode itself, I think there's probably a better version of this story without Ezra, but the actual 3ish minutes that it closes on are some of the most densely packed, painstakingly detailed minutes of anything I've ever seen.

15 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Also, ultimately, Luke wasn't "the chosen one".  It was Anakin all along, just like they originally thought.  Vader is the one that destroys Palpatine, and himself in the process.  He puts and end to the Sith and brings balance to the Force.  It's not even like Luke is the one that changes Vader.  He doesn't really DO anything beyond existing.  Vader barely knows Luke.  He turns against Palpatine based on the IDEA of saving his son.  Not because his son is someone he actually knows and cares about.

I've occasionally wondered if this wasn't Obi-Wan's plan all along.

Anakin was probably the most gifted Jedi ever and he only grew stronger as Vader.

Palpatine beat 3 Jedi masters at once in a lightsaber duel (out of which at least Kit Fisto was,by Obi Wan's own admission a better swordsman than himself) then bested Yoda in a Force duel.

Finding somebody gifted enough to take on one of these two, never mind both and then training him in secret for long enough would likely be impossible.

As such, turning Vader might have seemed an idea more likely to succeed.

6 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

I've occasionally wondered if this wasn't Obi-Wan's plan all along.

Anakin was probably the most gifted Jedi ever and he only grew stronger as Vader.

Palpatine beat 3 Jedi masters at once in a lightsaber duel (out of which at least Kit Fisto was,by Obi Wan's own admission a better swordsman than himself) then bested Yoda in a Force duel.

Finding somebody gifted enough to take on one of these two, never mind both and then training him in secret for long enough would likely be impossible.

As such, turning Vader might have seemed an idea more likely to succeed.

So he and Yoda decided to achieve that by using reverse psychology  telling Luke that his father is not even a human being anymore and that he absolutely has to kill him...

Yeah, no.

12 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

By all accounts I remember coming across, it was the opposite.  Vader was a weakened version of Anakin, since the wounds he suffered and cybernetik implants he required after Mustafar left him as damaged goods, basically. Still incredibly powerful in the Force and combat, of course, but not near his prowess before taking a limbless dunk in the lava.

Definitely although again the jedi of the OT (i.e. Obi Wan and Yoda) are not about lightsaber fights. That's the entire point of Obi Wan letting Vader kill him because the truth of the force is beyond a lightsaber. "Strike me down and I will become far more powerful then you can imagine." That's the stark difference between the Sith and the Jedi and is demonstrated in Twin Suns. Sith philosophy is rooted in dominion over the material world whereas the Jedi are supposed to be the opposite, although the prequel Jedi are arguably not too different from the Sith in this sense, which is why they don't believe in attachments as they tie a Jedi to the material world. 

Any fool as the new canon has shown can wield a lightsaber, but only force sensitives can sense the force. A lightsaber is a physical object. Again the Sith use the force to bolster their abilities and presence in the physical world, they force the force, that is the dark side. The Jedi are trying to understand the force and as a result should use it far more then the Sith. The Jedi are all about inner peace and self discipline and having control over themselves and the Sith typically benefit from aggression and striking as hard as possible which is often chaotic and rooted in anger.

Essentially the way I see it the Jedi should be using the force on a regular basis more then a saber and the Sith are the opposite. For a Jedi, the saber is only used when needed and even then as a scalpel. Obi Wan sliced off Ponda Baba's arm but didnt kill him only enough to scare him away. Now I understand thats a very simplified view of it but I would imagine that at the core of the two philosophies this rings true.  

Obi Wan and Yoda for sure didnt help Luke because they thought he could beat Vader and Palpatine in a lightsaber contest because thats not the point of being a Jedi. For Obi Wan it was redemption for his failure with Anakin, who was never at peace and lets be honest never really on the path to being a jedi. He saw in Luke the potential of inner peace and self control and the ability to resist the temptation of the dark side.

Edited by Forresto

23 minutes ago, eMeM said:

So he and Yoda decided to achieve that by using reverse psychology  telling Luke that his father is not even a human being anymore and that he absolutely has to kill him...

Yeah, no.

Then they were little more than delusional old fools by thinking Luke had any kind of chance against Palpatine.

They pretty much trained him for a bit then sent him to certain death.