KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

2 minutes ago, Blue Five said:

What about Kallus, Maul and Tarkin?

The only characters that have always died in the season finale are Inquisitors.

I didn't say I think Thrawn is going die, just that seems to be the reason why people think he is.

1 hour ago, Forgottenlore said:

Don't really want to get in on that argument, but objectivity is the opposite of relative. It's kinda the definition of the terms, objectivity is what you get when you remove the various relative points of view.

I knew someone would bite.

I know the definition of objective, and I'm not disputing it. I dispute the human capacity for objectivity. In my opinion, people claiming to be objective (adjective) often have an objective (noun) influenced by world view.

1 hour ago, jmswood said:

I know the definition of objective, and I'm not disputing it. I dispute the human capacity for objectivity. In my opinion, people claiming to be objective (adjective) often have an objective (noun) influenced by world view.

Well that is certainly the case, and there are enough subtly different definitions of the word fantasy to make an "objective" classification (either for or against) problematic.  

Incidentally, Q actually got a lot better as a character later on in Next Gen, and the Q stuff voyager did was pretty good (about the only stuff voyager did that I thought was good). 

This week's episode - 

WOW!   Very cool!  Defender was strong - didn't die, so it'll be back.   Rebel fleet looked awesome!  Looks like Home One was in there too!   

Was that Norra Wexley as Gold 2 by chance?

I'm a little sad that the defender pilot wasn't Maarek, but that's a very tiny niggle.  Overall the episode was fantastic.  I was worried that a Star Destroyer was going to be taken out by a pair of Y-Wings, but thankfully they had a plausible alternative allowing the escape.

Norra wasn't flying combat ships until the battle of Endor.

I like that they showed ion cannon turrets in action and in general Y-wings kicking ass, but they went way too far with the Defender. Star Wars fighter shields simply don't work this way, and it looks even worse in Rebels considering the pathetic representation of capital ships and their shielding in this show.

So I guess ion cannons are a fairly recent development?  Or was it just that Ezra had never seen one before?

Loved that final scene with the Rebellion forming.  Thought I heard some hints of the Rogue One theme in the music too.

Lots of little nods to Wrath of Khan in that nebula fight. :)

20 minutes ago, eMeM said:

I like that they showed ion cannon turrets in action and in general Y-wings kicking ass, but they went way too far with the Defender. Star Wars fighter shields simply don't work this way, and it looks even worse in Rebels considering the pathetic representation of capital ships and their shielding in this show.

You must unlearn what you have learned. If that's how shields are shown to work, especially in a primary canon source, that's how shields are supposed work. You might as well just go with it ;)

All in all I thought it was a fairly decent episode, with amazing visual effects, but in retrospect (at least before I figured out this was the Defender episode) I found I was really only waiting to see the reveal of the Rebel fleet at the end. 

Edited by MPG

6 minutes ago, MPG said:

You must unlearn what you have learned. If that's how shields are shown to work, especially in a primary canon source, that's how shields are supposed work. You might as well just go with it ;)

All in all I thought it was a fairly decent episode, with amazing visual effects, but in retrospect (at least before I figured out this was the Defender episode) I found I was really only waiting to see the reveal of the Rebel fleet at the end. 

I must apparently unlearn after each episode because they work differently each time.

1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Anyone else seen this Sabine---> Knights of Ren theory? Think it has merit?

Just as much merit as "Rogue 1 is Knights of Ren", " Jyn is Rey's mother", "Sabine is X's daughter" and "Snoke is X".

I.e.  far fetched, based on every dubious "evidence", expect it to be nuked soon.

Really been hoping there would be an episode detailing the 'acquisition' of at least one of the Nebulon's, as was done for the carrier and Hammerhead's...oh well, will just have to wait for the summer[?, hopefully] release of the DVD to enjoy all that's been discussed recently :mellow:

5 hours ago, DailyRich said:

So I guess ion cannons are a fairly recent development?  Or was it just that Ezra had never seen one before?

An Ion cannon was used by General Grievous as a secret weapon in the Clone Wars.  It required a capital ship to power it though.  It's possible that starfighter scale Ion weapons are pretty new in the Rebels era.  I'm not sure we ever saw them used on Clone Wars era Y-Wings.

5 hours ago, DailyRich said:

Loved that final scene with the Rebellion forming.  Thought I heard some hints of the Rogue One theme in the music too.

Lots of little nods to Wrath of Khan in that nebula fight. :)

Large-scale Ion has been around at least since TCW (and what made Malevolence so scary was it was a huge radius, Eta-2s had Ions also) and Ezra's seen a man-portable Ion weapon used before - but I don't think the Ys the Ghost crew recovered had ion mounts, they were just repurposed Clone Wars Ys which I think just had laser turrets. But Gold is rocking the BTL-A4 configuration with fixed forward Ion cannons, which surprised him. Ezra's not a gearhead, so unless somebody told him it was an ion cannon I doubt he'd be able to tell just by looking at it. 

And clearly the Defender prototype was an x7 and he was tanking because of that free Evade token.  His tight maneuverability was terrible though, he had to keep going around for passes with that K-Turn. 

Edited by UnitOmega

6 hours ago, eMeM said:

Don't forget that there are crap loads of different shield models and they all do work differently,  the Shields that TIE use was noted being different from the get go going by Complete Vehicles.  Also the Defender was always shown having extremely powerful shields.   There hasn't been weak showings for shields for Cap ships in this, they were just attacked by the full scale 9.3 Laser Cannons on Interceptors and Defenders.  Even then the X1 had chopped down 9.3 cannons, they are ridiculous powerful, when set at it higher yields, definitely considering what it is shown doing in every appearance they have made.

28 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Large-scale Ion has been around at least since TCW (and what made Malevolence so scary was it was a huge radius, Eta-2s had Ions also) and Ezra's seen a man-portable Ion weapon used before - but I don't think the Ys the Ghost crew recovered had ion mounts, they were just repurposed Clone Wars Ys which I think just had laser turrets. But Gold is rocking the BTL-A4 configuration with fixed forward Ion cannons, which surprised him. Ezra's not a gearhead, so unless somebody told him it was an ion cannon I doubt he'd be able to tell just by looking at it. 

And clearly the Defender prototype was an x7 and he was tanking because of that free Evade token.  His tight maneuverability was terrible though, he had to keep going around for passes with that K-Turn. 

I agree, I think it was more of a "what's that, i've never seen that before" than a "look upon this new technology!"

30 minutes ago, UnitOmega said:

Which, if you've flown Defenders in X-Wing Miniatures, is how they're flown. One other thing that this episode has shown? The Defender should have 4 attack dice, not 3.

7 minutes ago, T70 Driver said:

Which, if you've flown Defenders in X-Wing Miniatures, is how they're flown. One other thing that this episode has shown? The Defender should have 4 attack dice, not 3.

As was shown when Captain Fel was a Test Pilot for many TIE Prototypes, it only had the 6 Cannons as a prototype, or the more common prototype.  The Limited Production one finalized by Grand Admiral Zaarin has the 4 9.3 and 2 Medium Ion Cannons.

16 minutes ago, Black Knight Leader said:

Don't forget that there are crap loads of different shield models and they all do work differently,  the Shields that TIE use was noted being different from the get go going by Complete Vehicles.  Also the Defender was always shown having extremely powerful shields.   There hasn't been weak showings for shields for Cap ships in this, they were just attacked by the full scale 9.3 Laser Cannons on Interceptors and Defenders.  Even then the X1 had chopped down 9.3 cannons, they are ridiculous powerful, when set at it higher yields, definitely considering what it is shown doing in every appearance they have made.

Why bother with star destroyers if the Extremely Powerful Chopped Down 9.3 Laser Cannons (TM) (R) can massacre capships?