KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

For a second I thought that Thrawn will burn Dantooine to a crisp (like Malak did), but then I remembered that Tarkin had Dantooine checked, so they are not aware that there was a Rebelbase.

But I'm excited to see Dantooines Canon iteration 

I love that we're on the road to Rogue One. 

Thrawn is mentioned in Empire's End as essentially being fundamental to a project for the Empire. Its so vague that it could mean Thrawn either completed the work before his Rebels appearance or is going to be reassigned to it after this season. That is not a spoiler for the book and since it was so recently released I will not go further into detail. 

4 hours ago, Kodiak3d said:

I'll be glad to see Dantooine as well.  Back in the days of Star Wars Galaxies, my guild's city (Black Water) was on Dantooine.

God I miss that game.  My guild had dual-cities (went up within an hour of the code going live), our primary being on Lok, our mall/expedition city was on Dantooine.

2 hours ago, Forresto said:

Thrawn is mentioned in Empire's End as essentially being fundamental to a project for the Empire. Its so vague that it could mean Thrawn either completed the work before his Rebels appearance or is going to be reassigned to it after this season. That is not a spoiler for the book and since it was so recently released I will not go further into detail. 

Well considering Timothy Zahn is now finishing up a new Thrawn (canon) book, and while it may cover his origin story I highly doubt it, It could very well lead to the project mentioned in Empires End. Book hits store shelves in April, after the conclusion of season 3.

3 hours ago, Forresto said:

Wait what, Empires End is out?

32 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I don't know if anyone has seen this...

The Rebel fleet is far larger then previous trailers teased at. 

Yet it will be reduced to a cruiser and a few hammerheads by the time of Rouge one.

And then to a flight of X-wings by the end of that. 

Long live the Empire. ;)

3 minutes ago, OneKelvin said:

Yet it will be reduced to a cruiser and a few hammerheads by the time of Rouge one.

And then to a flight of X-wings by the end of that. 

Long live the Empire. ;)

Huh?

As I understood it only small elements of the overall Rebellion choose to make a stand at Scariff

To me it seems primarily the Lothal group, and Mon Mothma's faction were involved.

3 hours ago, Doppelganger said:

Huh?

As I understood it only small elements of the overall Rebellion choose to make a stand at Scariff

To me it seems primarily the Lothal group, and Mon Mothma's faction were involved.

Well, they do make it out that the existence of the Rebellion hinges on a victory at Yavin in Ep 4, and all they have at Yavin is the fighters - unless some other canon source says that they held back the capital ships because it would be a useless gesture to fling them at the Death Star.

Yeah, its definitely not implied that all they have is fighters, just that fighters are the only thing that can exploit the weakness.  The fleet itself wouldn't be on Yavin, but it has no ability to stand up against the Death Star.

As part of that, its sort of implied the Rebellion loses a lot of its ships prior to Yavin simply because much of the leadership abandons the Rebellion once Jyn informs them of the Death Star's existence and takes their ships with them.  The destruction of the Death Star just brings those that fled out of hiding.

Also, the latest episode was definitely superb.  I think the only disappointment is that I had been operating under the assumption that we were already where the story is now, with Thrawn aware of Kallus and using him to feed the Rebels false information.  It doesn't matter; it just put me out of sync with the flow of the story since I was reading a little ahead.

1 hour ago, LunarSol said:

Also, the latest episode was definitely superb.  I think the only disappointment is that I had been operating under the assumption that we were already where the story is now, with Thrawn aware of Kallus and using him to feed the Rebels false information.  It doesn't matter; it just put me out of sync with the flow of the story since I was reading a little ahead.

Well, ya'know that's Thrawn for ya.

He acts like he knows everything because it's useful for people to think that he knows everything. He probably suspected Kallus heavily, but didn't know it was him or didn't have the proper evidence, or just wanted to let Kallus make the first move. So, rather than sharing his suspicions with the command staff, he simply implied that he had suspicions about someone, and left them to sweat it out while he sat back and observed.

As it is, never coming out directly with his suspicions allowed him to take advantage of a great opportunity when Kallus heroically slipped up. Now he has the agent he wanted, and even better the agent is an unwitting one. A double agent you see, is much more useful when they think that they've avoided detection.

So just remember for the future: Thrawn will always look like he knows what's going on. That doesn't necessarily mean that he does know, it just means that he knows how to play poker.

Edited by OneKelvin

Like the Recon Team said: Thrawn is very carefull (especially with accusations) and wants to realise and analyse an opportunity in its entirety so he can exploit it most efficently and therefore get most out of it. 
I think this is the difference between him and most Imperials, he thinks very carefully about every opportunity and situation, possible actions and their consiquences.

Maybe he knew, maybe he didn't. But now he knows for sure. And that's what it's all about.

Yeah Kallus is in for a torrid time!

He is portrayed as smart enough to catch on to his information being faulty but Thrawn is smarter and will engineer it so that it's too late when he does.

I kind of alluded to this before, but i'm actually more keen on Kallus surviving and being out there -somewhere ,doing something - than half the actual Rebels crew!  No where to run to, but run he will.  

I think it's a character with much more story to tell.  He could be the guy that tries to do right but ends up hated and mistrusted by literally everyone and that's a story I'd be interested in.

I'm a tad late here, but...

On 2/25/2017 at 11:32 AM, Major Tom said:

Very true.  

Also, is anyone in any doubt that Thrawn is now perfectly aware of the location of the hidden Rebel base?

Definitely. As I was watching it I was thinking it would have been smarter to delete a DIFFERENT planet, on the assumption that the tampering would have been noticed.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:11 PM, jmswood said:

Objectivity is relative.

Don't really want to get in on that argument, but objectivity is the opposite of relative. It's kinda the definition of the terms, objectivity is what you get when you remove the various relative points of view.

On 2/26/2017 at 7:20 AM, DailyRich said:

Also pretty sure those assassin droids took inspiration from the Dark Trooper armor from Dark Forces.

Yeah, I immediately thought "dark troopers" when I saw them.

39 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Season 4 officially announced today on official Star Wars Facebook page. Is this news? People are acting like it is news.

It's not, Freddie Prinze Jr told long ago that the announcements are just fot the press and Disney XD bought the whole story.

30 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

Also, where is the speculation that Thrawn is going to be killed coming from. I've not seen anything even remotely hinting at such an occurrence.

It's because he get's assasinated, and Rebels villains only last one season. expect Darth Vader, because Darth Vader.