KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

7 hours ago, Forresto said:

I didnt see the episode, Emperor's Hand? Is that now canon again?

They used the term at least.  For the Mandalorian that the Empire assigned to be in charge of the Mandalorians.

Not exactly like the personal assassins of the Emperor they usually were in the EU.  But then again, Maarek Stele was an Emperor's Hand as well, and he was just a fighter pilot who I don't think barely ever even got to interact with the Emperor.

21 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

What exactly was Saxon's plan there?

"I'm going to betray this clan and wipe them all out.  ...from inside their own stronghold...where they have more people than I brought with me."

If the Jedi hadn't gotten their weapons back via Rau (who Saxton didn't know about), he very well could have wiped them out staring with a momma Wren backstab and then working his way down. He'd have lost a bunch of guys, but he doesn't seem one to be hung up on casualties.

From the start of the fight he had better quality men, and it took the re-armed Jedi working with an armed Rau and Sabine several seconds of pitched combat to fend them off - and even then the Clan Wren guards took a beating. With momma out of the way and Sabine with no lightsaber, he could have killed her next on the lake and so on and so forth. I suppose the Jedi could have worked really hard with the force, but they don't seem to be able to block blaster bolts without sabers.

It's not the best plan, but he had a reasonable chance of winning from his point of view.

And a clip from next weeks episode.....

****, that looks like it's going to be a good one too.

*Empire fanboy grin commences*

Edited by OneKelvin
Adding T70s comment.

So I went out and about to translate the Mando'a.

-         pause in speaking
ABC   not Mando'a
[]        literal meaning
()        not sure about the meaning

Sabine: Su cuy'gar LEAD WREN - ibic(i) SABINE WREN - ara'novar - Gedet'ye me'vaar ti gar?
[You're still alive, LEAD WREN - This SABINE WREN - approaching/blocking the way - Please, what's new with you?]
-> Hello, Lead Wren! This is Sabine Wren approaching. How are you?

Lead Wren: Elek SABINE WREN - Kih'parjai.
[Yes SABINE WREN - small victory/No problem.]
-> Yes, Sabine Wren. I'm fine.

Was fun, but I'm unsure about the "ibic", since she clearly said "ibici" and Mando'a does not have a word like "i" or "e", so I looked through the grammar (which is super simple) and found out that the only fitting suffix would be "-e" for the plural form, but I found that made little sense, so I left the interpretation as it is, for now.

Edited by Ghost XV15

I think it's more in this specific situation that the dude just stalled her.

"Me'vaar ti gar?" could also be taken literal (as an order to give report) therfore "Kih'parjai." means basically everything is chill. 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:19 PM, Sir Orrin said:

Clan Wren armor is my new favorite flavor of mando armor.

Filoni said in Recon that it was to show how the empire sucked all the life and color out of them - but at the same time it's a very good color for a squad of mandos holed up on an alpine world. 

12 hours ago, OneKelvin said:

If the Jedi hadn't gotten their weapons back via Rau (who Saxton didn't know about), he very well could have wiped them out staring with a momma Wren backstab and then working his way down. He'd have lost a bunch of guys, but he doesn't seem one to be hung up on casualties.

But he didn't HAVE a bunch of guys.  He only brought THREE guys with him.  Even discounting the Jedi, there were, like, 7 armed members of Clan Wren in that throne room.  And it's THEIR base, so who knows how many more there were elsewhere in the base?

When he started that fight, I assumed he had a shipload of guys outside waiting, but he didn't.  He brought three guys to wipe out an entire clan and then didn't even bother to attack from some kind of ambush.  He initiated a Mexican standoff against a group twice the size of his.

That was not thought through!

5 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Well, that was a solid episode.

I hate to say it but we don't lose a whole lot with Sabine leaving the crew, however temporary it may be. All we need now is for Zeb to go and we'd have our core core cast.

It seems like she's leaving the crew for good. We will probably see here in some future episodes (the season finale being the obvious one, as we have seen Fang fighters helping Rebels in the trailer) but she is not a main character anymore.

http://nerdist.com/star-wars-rebels-ep-dave-filoni-on-that-twist-mandalorians-sabine/

“It just feels right,” Filoni said about why Sabine stays. “Everything she’s learned and grown through, and everything that she’s overcome, especially in those two episodes, I think dictates that she has to continue to deal with this. It’s not something that she can just walk away from, and say, ‘Well I’m gonna go back with my rebel friends now. [laughs] Have fun! I opened up all of these things and Mandalore’s in a state of civil war now, but…'”

4 hours ago, eMeM said:

“It just feels right,” Filoni said about why Sabine stays. “Everything she’s learned and grown through, and everything that she’s overcome, especially in those two episodes, I think dictates that she has to continue to deal with this. It’s not something that she can just walk away from, and say, ‘Well I’m gonna go back with my rebel friends now. [laughs] Have fun! I opened up all of these things and Mandalore’s in a state of civil war now, but…'”

Granted but...one could argue that the **** Sabine is doing right now is more interesting than what's going on with the rest of the main cast.  It's at this point the series could stand to adopt a bit of TCW's playbook and start following the grander conflict on multiple fronts.

Cause a Mandalorian civil war is one of the things I'd most like to be watching in this show.

5 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

What happened to the Light Saber only being able to be operated by a Jedi.

I guess it really is just a regular switch that anyone can turn on; you see Sabine actually flip the switch after she shoot Saxton's  backpack and he fall to the ice.

Episode 1 also featured lightsabers with outside switches. Actually even Luke can turn on a lightsaber before he has any concept of the force. My guess would be that only a few jedi chose to lock theirs from non-force-users, as they wouldn't have expected to lose them anyways.

17 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

I guess it really is just a regular switch that anyone can turn on; you see Sabine actually flip the switch after she shoot Saxton's  backpack and he fall to the ice.

They are going with a bit more of a mystical route. A non-jedi can operate a saber, even with some skill. But they won't be able to create the connection to the crystal that Jedi can. Jedi will always be able to use their saber with more skill. 

51 minutes ago, Ken at Sunrise said:

That never made any sense anyway.
In not a single movie it was evident that only Jedi/Sith/Force Users could use a Lightsaber, this was some of the EU-Parts that simply didn't make any sense.

I really have no problem with non force users being able to use lightsabers, even though I was in the "only force users can wield them" camp before. Lightsabers are, after all, just space swords and non sword masters can use a sword. If they start making non force users block blaster bolts or fight and beat force users in a duel, then I would have a problem with it. Finn was able to kill a few troopers in TFA, but got his butt handed to him in a duel with Kylo Ren. Pre Visla used the Darksaber against Obi wan and lost. He used it against Maul and lost.  So far, I'm pretty sure no non force user has bested a force user in a duel and that is how it should stay.