KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

We don't have to fact check when the fact is literally right there. 

Just because something seems obvious to you doesn't make it a fact.

The video you posted was not conclusive.  The image from the episode guide that eMeM posted, was.

...Oh my god dude.

One lightsaber is not like another. Some of the skills are transferable: timing, footwork, basic defense, but the weapons themselves are not the same. 

DarksaberRender_zpsa72d5d67.jpg

Even leaving out the bit about Kyber crystals bonding with their users, the Darksaber is pretty different than most lightsabers and if the idea is for her to be using that specific saber then that's what she should use. It has a wider and shorter blade than most sabers, a longer hilt with a guard and a large ricasso, a rectangular grip and a leading edge. 

It's still a lightsaber, and the "edge" might mentally limit what one would do with it. She has to learn to cut with the "flat" of the blade, how to handle the specific aeroresistant qualities of this specific saber, and she has to learn when to use it as well. She's not a force-wielder, blocking blaster shots is probably a non-option unless the force wills it or something which would mean a disadvantage in a blasterfight unless she uses it in combination with her other weapons, or closes the gap quickly.

That, coupled with the fact that any Mandalorian that hasn't completely jumped into the peace-nik basket will have been handling deadly weapons since the time they got their first pacifier, makes what I think is a rather strong case for her to just use the real one rather than to bum a saber with a training setting off of Ezra.

All the advantages of using the real thing are nothing compared to the ability to do sparring fights properly. Sabine is a novice with lightsabers. Training first properly with them before going into the minor and totally unimportant specifics would be much more important.

Had a thought while rewatching the trailer for this week's episode. I was pretty sure the defensive sequence Sabine while Kanan is doing his six-count of strikes is identical to the sequence Anakin was demonstrating on the holocron during that scene in Season 2. After watching the scene over again, this proved to be true, with a slight exception. Sabine's "four" position was the "pivot" during Anakin's sequence, meaning Sabine's "five" and "six" were Anakin's "four" and "five", and Sabine didn't enter the final position that Anakin entered. Just a fun little detail I felt like sharing. It's neat to see that they're being consistent with lightsaber forms in these training scenes.

Technically, Lightsabers DON'T have batteries anymore, since Rogue One said the Kyber crystals are what power the lightsabers.

And of course since Kyber crystals are all forcey, they could have made it so the crystals only work for Jedi.  But of course we know that's not the case since they're also used to power the Death Star.

Are the novelizations still canon?

If I remember well, in the Episode IV novelization, when Luke gets Anakin's saber from Ben at his hut, the text says something like "Luke wasn't sure what it was, but it had the biggest power cell he had ever seen."

So if that text still applies, it seems lightsabers are mainly a huge battery (for Star Wars standards) with extra stuff attached on the tip of it.

Technically, Lightsabers DON'T have batteries anymore, since Rogue One said the Kyber crystals are what power the lightsabers.

And of course since Kyber crystals are all forcey, they could have made it so the crystals only work for Jedi.  But of course we know that's not the case since they're also used to power the Death Star.

Are the novelizations still canon?

If I remember well, in the Episode IV novelization, when Luke gets Anakin's saber from Ben at his hut, the text says something like "Luke wasn't sure what it was, but it had the biggest power cell he had ever seen."

So if that text still applies, it seems lightsabers are mainly a huge battery (for Star Wars standards) with extra stuff attached on the tip of it.

According to Pablo Hidalgo, the novelizations are still canon. Though, I wish we'd get updated novelizations with less continuity errors.

First time in the series that Sabine loses her temper with and insults a co-protagonist?

First time that something does not come easy to Sabine too. Man, we are really lucky that she ain't force sensitive ^-^

Sigh.. Having watched the above clips, the anger Sabine has is seemingly not from something not coming easily to her, but a more underlying issue about her being in a posisition to sway all of Mandalore.

Imagine being a teenager, being thrust into a position of power, you may not want, which may also take you away from your (adopted) family and friends. Add in an urging and/or guilt trip from Kanan, mix in hormones of being a teenager - a very cocky and capable one, unknown family issues, you get misplaced anger.

Just on a sidenote, I think Kanan was a little extreme with the training, as a studying teacher I can tell you that his teaching methods are not optimal.

i however like that Sabine tried to incorporate her Wristweapons into her fightingstyle. Also as she lashed out, she only lashed out on Kanan only and even "complimented" Ezra. I think the *ahem* tension between them is growing ever stronger.

I love that Sabine and Ezra both get knocked down a peg in the same episode. They're pretty much kids still and in a war and that arrogance was going to get them and maybe others killed. They needed to be booped in the nose considering how cocky both were getting.  

I'm sorta okay with the Mandolorian story right now. My impression is this:

A long time ago Mandalore went down a road similar to Japan. They became a power in their corner of the world/galaxy that was strong enough not to be taken lightly by the other galactic powers. They eventually got so confident in their abilities I imagine something similar to Imperial Japan's pacific expansion happened and a militaristic Mandalore tried to expand and conquer, similar to the old canon. 

However eventually the Republic and Jedi had to intervene starting the war. Inevitably the Mandos lost and were conquered. Mandolorian culture then was pushed into a path of peaceful advancement sending them to the culture we see in the Clone War. I like that more then the old canon if that's what do because again it gives a better sense of history and a culture and people changing and evolving over a long period of time as would happen in real life.

Maybe the first Mandolorian Jedi was a political move as well as a standard Jedi induction. Maybe Vizla was force sensitive but because of tensions never taken at a young age but was instead a teenage or young adult when he was inducted. How cool would it be if the first Mandolorian Jedi is the reason the Jedi Order doesn't induct older padawans because of something that happened with that Vizla?

Edited by Forresto

is it me or does Sabine know way too much about the empire?

i understand that she went to the imperial academy on mandalore however she knows stuff that would be way above stormtrooper pay grade

how would she know about banned weapons (ion disruptors) and pre-prototype ships (interdictor), even if she was rebellious and tried hacking the computers she could only get so far

the only way i could see her knowing these things is if she went to officer courses (i don't think Sabine is cut out to be an officer) or special ops,

if sabine was special ops than one of her possible missions would be to infiltrate a rebel cell

how would she know about banned weapons (ion disruptors)

Kind of hard to ban something without banning it publically.

pre-prototype ships (interdictor)

The Empire's established as having interdictors of sorts quite early on. Tarkin involves one causing the space equivalent of a motorway pileup when it malfunctions.

Edited by Blue Five

is it me or does Sabine know way too much about the empire?

i understand that she went to the imperial academy on mandalore however she knows stuff that would be way above stormtrooper pay grade

how would she know about banned weapons (ion disruptors) and pre-prototype ships (interdictor), even if she was rebellious and tried hacking the computers she could only get so far

the only way i could see her knowing these things is if she went to officer courses (i don't think Sabine is cut out to be an officer) or special ops,

if sabine was special ops than one of her possible missions would be to infiltrate a rebel cell

She was probably not just a candidate for the average Stormtrooper but rather a Mandalorian Supercommando

With Rebels exploring more and more of the Old Republic Era, I'm asking myself what actually went down there.

With some Events canonised again and the rumors of a Old Republic animated Series...
We know that Darth Bane was the last survivor of the Sith Empire, maybe the events at Malachor did this? Maybe Malachor did just cripple the Sith, simmilar to the EU?
We also know that the Mandalorians started their War when the Jedi and Republic were weakened by the War with the Sith. So there is probably no connerction simmilar to Legends... However we can assume that a Character named Darth Revan existed, but his canonisation would probably be akin to Thrawn and Bane -> same ideology and personality but thrown into a different context... 

Just some semi-off-topic speculation here