KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

The thing with Kallus being Fulcrum has me thinking of an interesting parallel:  Thrawn's original folly (now a Legend) was to miss the conspirator that was right in front of him.  Repeat of history coming?

Also, I think (possibly) Kallus will end up defecting to the Rebels and reveal that Kallus was just a code name and his real name is Crix Madine.

A lot is happening indeed.

Home One and Nebulon-B debut, and I think the earliest canonical apperance.

Red Y-wings, again a simulation or the real things this time?

Nebulon-Bs appeared in the Tarkin novel.

Those Y-wings have smaller turret rings than the ones in the Season 1 premiere Steps into Shadow - more like the ANH ones. In Rogue One: Visual Guide, the Y-Wings were called out as being single-seat - hard to tell if the intent is that it's a different model, or a conversion of the two-seat model.

Edited by Ironlord

I'm so ecstatic for the second half of this season to drop! So many great things crammed into just this one trailer! Pretty much the only thing that we didn't see in the trailer that I was expecting was the X-Wing. Thrawn finally springs his trap, Sabine returns to Mandalore with the darksaber, TIE Defenders in action, the Braha'tok gunship, General Dodonna, and most importantly, Old Ben and Maul having a confrontation!! This season is easily going to go down as my favorite, I think. At least, of the seasons so far. Season 1 was great for a self-contained story that slowly dipped its foot into the Rebellion. Season 2... I mean, the Vader bits were cool, and seeing the small Rebel cell searching for and eventually establishing a base was neat. But Season 3 is easily the best of the three so far, especially with what we see in this trailer.

So far, for me, Darth Vader's scenes have been the highlight of the whole show. Phoenix Home's destruction and the sith temple duel were insane (despite being in the same episodes as helicopter lightsabers).

I really hope major villains like Vader and Thrawn aren't restricted to arbitrary one-season arcs, as there just doesn't seem like nearly enough time left in this season to finish Thrawn's story with the level of detail and care his character deserves.

My hope is that the Rebels are decimated by Thrawn at the end of the season. The battle is a total Imperial victory with the Rebels only just barely escaping. Sato dies. Ezra damages the interdictor allowing the remains of the fleet to escape. Thrawn wins and the rebels are so beaten they are assumed defeated or at least such a small threat now that he is reassigned elsewhere.

The rebels retreat and eventually are shown to have joined other cells and we either see them establish another base at the end or the beginning of Dantooine.  

I still don't buy the darksaber thing. Vizsla should have just arrived at the capital, show the darksaber to everyone and become the leader of Mandalore, he didn't even need the Death Watch, let alone some convoluted plans involving CIS and later Maul.

Also, I wish they abandoned the "artstyle" when it comes to space battles. Literally two models in the show follow the caricatural artstyle, ISD and TIE Fighter, and they look completely out of place next to all the other ships.

I still don't buy the darksaber thing. Vizsla should have just arrived at the capital, show the darksaber to everyone and become the leader of Mandalore, he didn't even need the Death Watch, let alone some convoluted plans involving CIS and later Maul.

To paraphrase Monty Python: "Listen, strange men distributin' darksabers is no basis for a system of government."   :D 

Not even malfunction- just driven off into exile by Imperial victory.

They malfunction AFTER they vanish, due to old age and lack of spare parts.

Nah, you don't want the ships to actually have a crew, even if it's droids, because then that eliminates the need for clones to man them, which is a huge part of the plot of that story.

Anything a B1 can do, an army of Maarak Steeles can do better.

Also, I wish they abandoned the "artstyle" when it comes to space battles. Literally two models in the show follow the caricatural artstyle, ISD and TIE Fighter, and they look completely out of place next to all the other ships.

it is a lot more complex than they're making it seem in the trailer.

basically, the reason the saber gives power over mandalore is because of that complex plot Pre Vizsla did with maul and Black Sun (not the CIS)

basically, that plot put Clan Vizsla as the ruling clan of mandalore, replacing Satine's clan (Clan Kryze). Maul then defeated Vizsla, claiming the Saber and the throne. but he could only claim the throne because that defeat, and the saber, made him Head of Clan Vizsla. Pre Vizsla had made the Darksaber the symbol of the right to rule his clan, and with that position came the throne at that point. dispute over maul's right to the position was what sparked that civil war. after maul was defeated, there wasn't enough unity in clan Vizsla and it's allies, and an outside force (the Empire) imposed their own government on the mandalorians.

what gives Sabine a chance is the fact that she is Clan Vizsla, and defeated the previous head of the house (Maul) to get the Darksaber, the symbol of rulership for Clan Vizsla. she is vying for control of her clan, and by dint of that position, the empty throne of mandalore. which would give her authority over all mandalorians.

Edited by mithril2098

If the opening crawl for ANH is anything to go by, Thrawn is going to have a field day on these Rebels...

If the ´first victory´ mentioned in the crawl is the battle in Rogue One (and we can assume it is) then it could indeed mean there is no other major victory before...

But then... what happens to Thrawn? He isn´t in Rogue One, he isn´t in A New Hope.

Will he die through treason, defeat? Or get ´banished´ to the Unknown Regions?

If the opening crawl for ANH is anything to go by, Thrawn is going to have a field day on these Rebels...

If the ´first victory´ mentioned in the crawl is the battle in Rogue One (and we can assume it is) then it could indeed mean there is no other major victory before...

But then... what happens to Thrawn? He isn´t in Rogue One, he isn´t in A New Hope.

Will he die through treason, defeat? Or get ´banished´ to the Unknown Regions?

Just imagine if he was the reason Starkiller Base happened.

A solid episode, but I think I expected a bit more.

Nothing about Saw's injuries, not even abot the Geonosian insecticide.

I like what they did with the "circle within a circle". Should have listened to Saw and questioned the bug.

Abnormally high density of imperials with faces on that ARGH-kittens bridge :P

I'm glad we have a confirmation that the B-wing superlaser is in no way superior to the good old proton torpedo spread!

And sadly we see more and more Karen Traviss-style mandowanking, and this is only gonna get worse as the season progresses :|

#Choppervotesmatter

Kanan "I heard that" was my favorite line.

They should have taken the destroyer droids with them. Could have reprogrammed them for some sweet base defense.

I thought that grenade was going to give Saw some of his injuries... clearly they come later.

Good show of his mental instability as he sways from focused to off kilter extreme to compassion then back.

That was a great episode, but I feel like they could've done more with Saw, i.e his later injuries. Maybe one of the rocks could've hit the insecticide and he breathed some of it in...

Anyways, there was also some hood humor this episode. Chopper losing a vote, Kanan being compared to Anakin, and Sabine's paraphrasing of "I hate sand".

Edited by MPG

I appreciated the way they used Rex as the demarcation between Ezra and Saw. Rex covers for his old war buddy, stands up for his new unit and upholds chain of command all in one episode, and every bit is consistent with the veteran soldier archetype. On either side of the soldier with a cause: just cause corrupted by hate, contrasted against the moral high ground.

It's annoying that the bug was trying to show them the Death Star and they misinterpreted him TWICE.

I don't understand why Ezra could understand him some of the time, but couldn't understand when he tried to tell them about the thing they were actually building.

Also, someone tells you their name, you don't understand it, so you just shorten it to ClickClack?  That's racist as hell yo.

We see Saw Gerrera again - and I'll be honest, I had not made the connection to The Clone Wars episodes where he and his sister appear, because frankly those episodes seemed just as pointless as the Mon Calamari arc. Now, though, I have to reevaluate those because they give vital backstory to Saw for Rogue One AND Rebels. It really shows what shaped him.

First he loses his world to the Seperatists and fights a guerilla war to liberate it, then he loses his word to the Empire and and tries fighting back (and evidently fails); much like Cham Syndulla for most of his adult life he's only known war, but without Cham's family roots to anchor him to an existence without war.

It makes his appearances in Rogue One even more poignant.

Also, that nameless commander of the Light Cruiser is now officially my favorite Imperial character. She's just awesome.

Edited by iamfanboy

It's annoying that the bug was trying to show them the Death Star and they misinterpreted him TWICE.

I don't understand why Ezra could understand him some of the time, but couldn't understand when he tried to tell them about the thing they were actually building.

Also, someone tells you their name, you don't understand it, so you just shorten it to ClickClack?  That's racist as hell yo.

One, the Rebels and anyone aside from high up Imperials probably would have no idea about what the death star was. IT is easy for us to see that it is the death star, but if you never even knew the death star was a thing I'd imagine it would be hard to know what some small circle in a circle is.

As for understanding him I'm pretty sure they were just more or less guessing what he was saying based of his tone and the like.

Finally, I'm pretty sure everything ends up badly for the queen and the Geonosians considering Vader comes along in his comic series to Geonosis to kill a queen. So the whole episode ending on a happy note for them was about the same as those Clone Wars Jedi padawan episodes in my mind,

Also, someone tells you their name, you don't understand it, so you just shorten it to ClickClack? That's racist as hell yo.

We know that was the Death Star Click Clack drew in the dirt but the rebels, having no knowledge of it, wouldn't be able to figure it out with no knowledge other than that drawing. It's understandable that they would mistake the pesticide containers as what Click Clack was referring to in the drawing. As for the name? When Ezra asked, Click Clack did say it twice in a row. For ease of communication, they cut it down to just Click Clack. Edited by T70 Driver

One, the Rebels and anyone aside from high up Imperials probably would have no idea about what the death star was. IT is easy for us to see that it is the death star, but if you never even knew the death star was a thing I'd imagine it would be hard to know what some small circle in a circle is.

The drawing reminded me of The Hudsucker Proxy. Where he drew a circle on a piece of paper and we get the hula hoop... then a second time the same circle but it meant frisbee.

I enjoyed the episodes, especially how aloof they all were of the Death Star project. 

My only qualm with the episode. I am slightly annoyed at how quickly that Arquietens went down. I know it can be reasoned out but visually that isnt effective enough for me without supporting dialogue. 

I really loved that we got a new Imperial commander and an imperial crew that had a different face.

He also did the typical American thing and talked really loudly and slowly to get the non english speaker to better understand what he was saying.