Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

The guy on the speeder bike isn't a conscript, he escaped from the Imperial prison in season 2, and he knew Ezra's parents. I am blanking on his name, but he used to be the governor of Lothal before the Empire moved in. He was arrested for treason.

The guy on the speeder bike isn't a conscript, he escaped from the Imperial prison in season 2, and he knew Ezra's parents. I am blanking on his name, but he used to be the governor of Lothal before the Empire moved in. He was arrested for treason.

It's actually the farmer that Ezra and Zeb helped escape from the Empire in "Fighter Flight."

It's actually the farmer that Ezra and Zeb helped escape from the Empire in "Fighter Flight."

It's actually Rex who has lost a bunch of weight as he has been dealing with a bout of explosive diarrhea - that's why he was making all those noises on the bike, he was worried he might accidentally decorate the Grand Admiral.

Can someone more tech savy than me post the preview for Inside Man? Thrawn kills a guy.

I was so high when I watched this that the next day I thought the guy had been on an exercise bike and Thrawn had basically made him work himself to death.  Talk about ruthless!

I was kind of disappointed when I rewatched it.

True, good eye! 

Can someone more tech savy than me post the preview for Inside Man? Thrawn kills a guy.

I was so high when I watched this that the next day I thought the guy had been on an exercise bike and Thrawn had basically made him work himself to death.  Talk about ruthless!

I'm dying over here. Give this man a medal.

And get me a purple heart because my voice no longer works.

I'm dying over here. Give this man a medal.

And get me a purple heart because my voice no longer works.

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

The way I phrased it, you could could use Chopper's action during the Activation Phase and attack in the Combat Phase. As an alternative, you could put the suggested card on Horton with Cracken as a wingman. Horton attacks first. Cracken attacks. Cracken gives Horton an action. Horton uses Chopper to make another turret attack.

Experimental Interface would be interesting. Take a target lock, EI to use Chopper.

I have to assume you're making this version unique, otherwise with several Y-wings, maybe BTL-A4s in the mix, things could get crazy. 

The way I phrased it, you could could use Chopper's action during the Activation Phase and attack in the Combat Phase. As an alternative, you could put the suggested card on Horton with Cracken as a wingman. Horton attacks first. Cracken attacks. Cracken gives Horton an action. Horton uses Chopper to make another turret attack.

Experimental Interface would be interesting. Take a target lock, EI to use Chopper.

I have to assume you're making this version unique, otherwise with several Y-wings, maybe BTL-A4s in the mix, things could get crazy.

Your comment gave me a thought. Should Captain Rex (crew or pilot) be unique? He is a clone.

There are many clones, but only one Captain Rex...

At least until the epic cards "Cloning Facility" (you may take multiples of unique pilots and crew) and "replication facility" (you may take multiples of a unique droid, title or modification).

Sure it would break the game but interest in epic would spike for a bit :P

At least until the epic cards "Cloning Facility" (you may take multiples of unique pilots and crew) and "replication facility" (you may take multiples of a unique droid, title or modification).

Sure it would break the game but interest in epic would spike for a bit

Mmm, how many Emperors could I get for Soontir...

Sure it would break the game but interest in epic would spike for a bit

Mmm, how many Emperors could I get for Soontir...

29x9= 261, giving you 9 emporers to modify a fully loaded soontir fel at 39 points. (assuming all the palps are rolling around in generic shuttles)

Edited by FlyingAnchors

While I love the TIE Defender and support it's inclusion back into canon all the way, I've got some complaints.

First, the XG-1 Star Wing Assault Gunboat was featured in the X-Wing flight sim (and nearly in canon, following the Skipray by two years) as the first shielded and hyperspace capable Imperial starfighter to oppose the Rebellion. When it showed up with those nearly unavoidable and nigh-unhittable concussion missiles at long range, they could be a nightmare to deal with. Though they were a bit sluggish, they could have been a decent Legends pick as a new fighter without making the Defender pre-yavin.

Another even better pick is the production model TIE Advanced... also known as the TIE Avenger. Vader's TIE Advanced model already exists, it would have been easy to paint the TIE Advanced as the new model fighter with the same shields, hyperdrive, and missile capability that the Defender has, except it's based on an already existing ship. New powerplant to power a new engine and four laser cannons using more or less the same chassis. Add some interceptor into the TIE advanced, and you have Avengers.

Defenders made the Avengers obsolete in the scope of TIE Fighter but they were still around long enough to menace the Rebellion. Legends had them made before Endor but after Echo base. It's not as weird to move them back as it is for the Defender.

Because now we can wonder why these TIE Defenders weren't present to guard the Death Star when they are the best starfighters in the galaxy, and the Death Star is the most supreme Imperial weapon in the universe deserving of the best protection. Especially if the TIE Defender features before the end of Rebels, which given that this episode is a lot of foreshadowing for it's eventual appearance, it certainly will in some form.

We'll probably get some line that the valiant efforts of our intrepid heroes have delayed the production of the TIE Defender into sometime past Yavin, or even pushed it out of development completely. The TIE Defender is so distinct and iconic and liked (with plenty of justified reason) to have it feature over the nearly forgettable XG-1 and TIE Avenger. I get that.

But this was a missed opportunity to bring those other fighters back into prominence and canon. They're certainly more deserving of that merit than the TIE copy-paste bomber we know here as the TIE Punisher.

I'm also a little disappointed that the Decipher depiction for the Defender has become the ur-example. Sure it's only a prototype, but the models we were flying around in the sim were more based on a tri-lateral version of the TIE Advanced... with longer and heftier frames that really suggested the fighter contained extra power plants and shield generators. The anemic Decipher model really does deserve all the "TIE Interceptor on steroids" derision that the TIE Defender receives, because it's really skimpy by comparison.

Oh well.

I just hope the Rebels don't end up stealing the one TIE Defender we're fated to see.

TL:DR; The TIE Defender's nice to see back, but other fighters could have been better picks.

I'm pretty sure the Tie Defender will be just a schematic, in the same way the AT-AT was in season 1 of Rebels. And if it is just a schematic they don't even need the ship to show up in Rebels, because they could be trying to finalize the design or it could be in production hell where the higher ups kept turning down its production until the war dragged on. 

Regardless we will find out one way or another tonight. 

Just saw An Inside Man. It's already up at Watch Disney XD. Excellent episode. Also the in service date of a particular Imperial fighter may have to be revised after this episode.

It sounded like Defenders will be their rational for finding X-Wings. No wonder X-Wings are so powerful against everything else. Sabine's Defender will clearly be SWX58. And Kallus as a Rebel crew.

Chopper is so badass that Thrawn is investigating him personally. And he fried another droid. Good showing from him.

While on the speeder in the beginning, Ezra shot the trooper using the blaster cannon in the head.

Plus the obvious deaths, this was a pretty dark episode.

And Thrawn showed his brilliance without looking foolish in their escape.

I liked it.

Edited by ViscerothSWG

Because now we can wonder why these TIE Defenders weren't present to guard the Death Star when they are the best starfighters in the galaxy, and the Death Star is the most supreme Imperial weapon in the universe deserving of the best protection. Especially if the TIE Defender features before the end of Rebels, which given that this episode is a lot of foreshadowing for it's eventual appearance, it certainly will in some form.

Arguably, because "they weren't needed"

Even if the Empire DOES get them built in nuCanon (IE., the 'Rebels' team doesn't destroy production of them, entirely)...the Death Star didn't need defending, remember?  Only Vader's squadron bothered to launch at all.  The thought was that it was invulnerable to attack, so why waste your precious few super-fighters defending something that cannot be destroyed?  Better to send them out on missions that actually HAVE high stakes and too much risk for regular fighters...

For what it's worth, the TIE Defender is more well known and a sneak peek of it will generate more buzz. A Gunboat?

People just ask, "The hell's that?"

100% agree. I put an obscene amount of time into the TIE games but agree that most people would have a "huh?" response.

Either way, at this point I wish FFG would introduce it just to shut the band-wagoners up (also doesn't hurt that I appreciate all expansions), but I believe there is another thread where I should take those thoughts and keep this thread about Rebels.

Looking forward to seeing the new episode!

Arguably, because "they weren't needed"

Even if the Empire DOES get them built in nuCanon (IE., the 'Rebels' team doesn't destroy production of them, entirely)...the Death Star didn't need defending, remember?  Only Vader's squadron bothered to launch at all.  The thought was that it was invulnerable to attack, so why waste your precious few super-fighters defending something that cannot be destroyed?  Better to send them out on missions that actually HAVE high stakes and too much risk for regular fighters...

I wouldn't worry.

SWC_TIE_Defender.png

The TIE Defender is firmly set in place in the NuCanon, and with sufficient numbers to be seen in several different conflicts in several different sectors. The rebels may delay its production like they did with the TIE Advanced prototypes and the Interdictor, but it has been seen in later conflicts and I'd bet my brightly oiled jackboots that they will show up to support the Empire in future media by different writers.

Edit. The wiki page lists the current canon areas of TIE/D usage as Rebels, SW Commander, and a DLC for the Battlefront game. They can't all be prototypes.

Edited by OneKelvin

Really good episode. Finally.

And even Thrawn does something, the heroes escape but in the most suprising plot twist in this series so far, Thrawn actually didin't want to let them escape :o

Also, Kallus will most likely become a double agent, I wonder for how long.