Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

I think they may introduce the Tie Defender.

But I think itll go the way of the Interdictor. A prototype that gets popped just in time before mass production is my call...

And the rebels escaping is Still part of the plan! :)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoPlansNoPrototypeNoBackup

That kind of nonsense vexes me.

If they were summoning a starship magically, sure; you might not be able to get the same thing the second time around. But that's not what happened with the Interdictor. That ship was heavily implied to have been built, in a shipyard, by engineers. 

If this was a test then there should be a 2.0 coming up: it's not like the Empire is stripped for cash. And if it was a trial run then there should be at least a few more ships of that type around somewhere; I mean what good is a trial run with a sample size of one?  :huh:

If I were the kind of guy that hoped for things, I'd hope Thrawn would have a few of those Interdictors ready to pull off some of his book-type hyjinks. Maybe using what he's learned about the rebels by observing them: they love their families more than their possessions and homes (Hera's home), they'll risk huge resources to save small numbers (Sato's nephew), their movements can be predicted (the Y-wing rescue).

Predict the movements of some family members, apply pressure so that they risk their home base in the rescue, cut off their escape.

But I'm not the hoping kind of guy. The Interdictor is off the table because the only thing keeping the rebels alive is their ability to escape the battles they can't win. If that weren't the case, the rebellion would become very hard to write for. Writers tend to take the path of least resistance when faced with plot devices like the Interdictor: when they've served their one-off they make them not exist anymore. Same for the B-wing superlaser, and I'll bet it'll be the same for the TIE Interceptors. Do you think we'll see any more of them when the named ones die? Personally, I do not.

Edited by OneKelvin

If they were summoning a starship magically, sure; you might not be able to get the same thing the second time around. But that's not what happened with the Interdictor. That ship was heavily implied to have been built, in a shipyard, by engineers. 

Especially since the designs for said starship are probably not stored on the ship itself.  So it's not like they couldn't just build another.

Writers tend to take the path of least resistance when faced with plot devices like the Interdictor: when they've served their one-off they make them not exist anymore.

I for one am tired of the rebels sneaking into the engine/reactor  room and blowing a whole ship up.  Computers where I work are password access only....why on Earth isn't the engineering systems encrypted?

One thing I liked about Clone Wars was the multi-episode arcs.  Plot device episodes like the Interdictor should take more than a 22 minute episode to destroy.  Prototype production usually involves several ships just in case a critical flaw is encountered.  So we'll likely see the interdictor again...more to the point they took the time to develop a model for the show so they'll want to re-use it.

Edited by SnowWulf

Uh, Clone Wars had a tendency to pointlessly drag out stories, which IMHO is MUCH worse. Some of those multi-episode arcs were great, but some of them were utterly pointless. That arc where the four-armed Jedi Master hates clones is utterly predictable in its ending and could have been one episode - or only two - instead of FOUR. The arc where they're fighting on the bug world is without suspense and the only purpose it serves is to introduce Ahsoka to the other padawan and set up the truly superior mindworm episode - once again, that only needed two episodes, not FOUR. Hell, all you NEED is that last episode. It works perfectly by itself, you don't need the long 'splosion sequence in front of it to know the important facts: there's a war going on, and these two met because of it and are friends.

And one arc where they COULD have dragged out the almost important part - the one where the astromechs somehow infiltrate the droid army? - gets concluded in one part with the rest of the story being... oh so pointless. Okay, the whole **** arc is pointless. Who cares about cutesy droids, when we just got done dealing with cutesy Jedi tots?

My Clone Wars folder on my computer, where I've been trying to filter the filler from the plot, has 61 out of the 108 season 1-5 episodes. Even that's being generous, but at least a few of the filler episodes are actually entertaining and not excruciating.

I much prefer the Rebels method of planting payoff, like the TIE in 104 which gets used to infiltrate at the end of the season, or the current arc where we see how Thrawn operates. There were a couple of kids at school talking about how cool Thrawn is, and I casually mentioned how he almost destroys the Rebellion in some of the old novels and now they want to read those books.

For all we know, Thrawn could be their major adversary throughout the next two seasons, not just this one.

Uh, Clone Wars had a tendency to pointlessly drag out stories, which IMHO is MUCH worse. Some of those multi-episode arcs were great, but some of them were utterly pointless. That arc where the four-armed Jedi Master hates clones is utterly predictable in its ending and could have been one episode - or only two - instead of FOUR. The arc where they're fighting on the bug world is without suspense and the only purpose it serves is to introduce Ahsoka to the other padawan and set up the truly superior mindworm episode - once again, that only needed two episodes, not FOUR. Hell, all you NEED is that last episode. It works perfectly by itself, you don't need the long 'splosion sequence in front of it to know the important facts: there's a war going on, and these two met because of it and are friends.

And one arc where they COULD have dragged out the almost important part - the one where the astromechs somehow infiltrate the droid army? - gets concluded in one part with the rest of the story being... oh so pointless. Okay, the whole **** arc is pointless. Who cares about cutesy droids, when we just got done dealing with cutesy Jedi tots?

My Clone Wars folder on my computer, where I've been trying to filter the filler from the plot, has 61 out of the 108 season 1-5 episodes. Even that's being generous, but at least a few of the filler episodes are actually entertaining and not excruciating.

I much prefer the Rebels method of planting payoff, like the TIE in 104 which gets used to infiltrate at the end of the season, or the current arc where we see how Thrawn operates. There were a couple of kids at school talking about how cool Thrawn is, and I casually mentioned how he almost destroys the Rebellion in some of the old novels and now they want to read those books.

For all we know, Thrawn could be their major adversary throughout the next two seasons, not just this one.

I disagree about Umbara, but yea, the droid one was terrible! Gregor was the only good part!

The Umbara arc was fine; it introduced the idea that Jedi aren't monolithic in their attitudes and that rogue factions exist - oh, and that the Sith have influence even if they don't officially exist.

The problem was that it was 4 episodes where you can see what's coming at the end of the first; the next two just... drag... on... for... no... reason... other... than... to... make... more... episodes...

It could have been two episodes. One to set up the new general and expose his 'bad leadership', one to reveal that it's not bad leadership but intentional dereliction to attract the attention of the Sith behind it all.

It's not totally pointless and forgettable, like the Virus arc or the Evil Plans ep or the arc where they're under the sea (Unda da sea!) on Mon Cal, but those middle two Umbara episodes are filler and nothing but.

Advanced and Interceptors were soloing entire Rebel fleets in Rebels, obviously Defenders would have to go through the same rite of passage.

The Advanced's ability to solo a fleet probably had less to do with the ship itself, and more to do with who was piloting it.

.... And because Spinning is still a neat trick...

It was pretty....wizard! 

AW YEAH IM BRINGIN IT BACK!!!

$_1.JPG

(Referenced from)

So, whose ready for another marvelous mis-adventure with Hondo? I'm surprised He has not graced our game yet, but then again he doesn't exactly have a ship...

If they were to introduce Hondo don't you think the Luxury Yacht would be the fit? Plus if they do it would mean we get a Scum Lando too~. There would also be a case for Mara Jade as well, depending if they can or want to add her as a pilot.

Yes... but I don't know if we'll old lando lakes butter again. He seemed to be a one off cameo in rebels anyway. my theory is that he is going to be a major character in the Han Solo anthology film, and in order to give him(the writers) as much freedom as possible I don't think we'll see him in Rebels again. But, yes I would love to have the lady luck, or something of that nature introduced.

I'm pretty sure that if a story arc can be 2 episodes, a TIE swarm can be 2 ships.

Is there an episode this week? I'm without tv/Internet until Monday.

Uh.

A story arc is just a story, with a beginning, middle, and end. The length of that story is irrelevant to the fact that it is a story arc. The story arc of Umbara is "Anakin is called away, new general shows up that hates clones and is willing to order them to their deaths pointlessly, uh-oh, he's actually a bad guy trying to get in good with the Sith before they destroy the Republic." That's the story. It's told in the first and fourth episode of Umbara. The rest is just the clones doing exactly what they do at the end of the first episode: disobeying direct orders while still performing the actual mission. It repeats the same plot point twice over with different laser blasts and explosions.

It's filler.

Now, the whole Clone Wars is a story arc about how Palpatine is manipulating both sides so that he wins no matter what. Different self-contained arcs move that story along, and multiple subplots exist - Anakin's slide to the Dark Side, Ahsoka's efforts to keep him balanced that are removed as the war draws to a close, Obi-Wan's failed romance that blinds him to what his own apprentice has been doing with Padme, the removal of as many Force users as possible with the war as pretext before the final strike at the Jedi Temple, the clones discovering themselves as unique people with identical genetics... all are the subplots I'd identify as most worthwhile.

Now, what's the story arc of Star Wars Rebels? It's been a slow buildup, but I think it's about showing the scope of the problem that faced the Rebellion and how insurmountable those odds were. I mean, we KNOW they won, now we'll know why they should have lost - and how the Empire lost, because it was selfish and self-destructive.

I'm finding this use of a variety of ships by characters to be a bit odd, 

even if it's well written story wise, almost as though the producers

of Rebels are mocking Fantasy Flight Games (S03E03) or

the producers are helping FFG (S03E01: Rebel Aces expansion).

More probable is that I have SWXM tunnel vision as I watch the show.

Season 3, Episode 3.

30882679290_8ab69e437c.jpg

Season 3, Episode 1.

30424857884_d9366179bf.jpg

So it has to be asked with that set up,

how many people want to see Sabine in a Rebel Aces pack?

Edited by gabe69velasquez

So it has to be asked with that set up,

how many people want to see Sabine in a Rebel Aces pack?

Because there's just not enough Sabine Wren in this game...

I appreciate that Rebels is Disneys golden child right now, and from what I gather Sabine is the feisty cool teenage hero for the kids to relate to, but seriously... How many copies of Sabine do we need?

Where's the pandering to us old bar-stewards who want to see Luke Skywalker tearing it up in his X-wing?

Not that I'm not enjoying 'Sabine Wren, the miniatures game'.

Because there's just not enough Sabine Wren in this game...

I'm starting to think with all the ships she's flown there should be a free pilot skill upgrade for her, like a VI that costs zero and lets you take another EPT.

I appreciate that Rebels is Disneys golden child right now, and from what I gather Sabine is the feisty cool teenage hero for the kids to relate to, but seriously... How many copies of Sabine do we need?

They don't have to add more to the game, but as I said I think she would fit into an Aces pack very well.

Where's the pandering to us old bar-stewards who want to see Luke Skywalker tearing it up in his X-wing?

I know right? Whatever Rebel Aces pack that comes along should primarily make Luke more competitive, IMHO. Y-wing + X-wing is my vote.

Not that I'm not enjoying 'Sabine Wren, the miniatures game'.

Another SWX58 possibility right there. Edited by gabe69velasquez

The Umbara arc was fine; it introduced the idea that Jedi aren't monolithic in their attitudes and that rogue factions exist - oh, and that the Sith have influence even if they don't officially exist.

The problem was that it was 4 episodes where you can see what's coming at the end of the first; the next two just... drag... on... for... no... reason... other... than... to... make... more... episodes...

It could have been two episodes. One to set up the new general and expose his 'bad leadership', one to reveal that it's not bad leadership but intentional dereliction to attract the attention of the Sith behind it all.

It's not totally pointless and forgettable, like the Virus arc or the Evil Plans ep or the arc where they're under the sea (Unda da sea!) on Mon Cal, but those middle two Umbara episodes are filler and nothing but.

I strongly disagree, the whole arc was about the battle o umbara and not the freaking useless Jedi. The protagonists were the clones, clones we have seen from other arcs already, clones who needed to win their fight despite that useless jedi, etc

Pong Krell was not even the antagonist for the most part, and the thing established for the series and as evidence for the jedi how easy a clone army can dispose themselves of their jedi general. This emphasis the foolishness of the jedi council when they ignore the biochips, the dubious source of the clone army itself. It just another detail, but the main focus are the clones and the battle of Umbara, not the traitorous and foolish jedi general. We indeed know exactly where this story is going with him … 

Not a bad episode, a filler but I don't have any problem with that, although I miss the TCW Hondo bouncing between being a sidekick comic relief and a straight up villain.

And his cape :<

Not having seen the episode...is that really a spoiler?  I mean, isn't that the ship he stole in S03E01?

Spoiler: it has a sick paintjob now.

Edited by eMeM

I agree the episode was mostly filler, but I'm sure we'll see that cargo again.

I think people have already mentioned that the phoenix rebel cell has been trying to get proton bombs pretty much this whole season so far, and are planning to attack some imperial base or facility, said base most likely being the lothal tie manufacturing factory. So the episode does have some small significance, though I guess we will only know with time.

S03E08

---

Oh great.  Now we're going to get the Sentinel-shuttle, and it's going to be Scum...still, Hondo's remodel DOES look really cool.

Boo at them for passing up an opportunity to use the BFF-1 Bulk Freighter in a story. 

Cool Dark Troopers don't get to be Dark Troopers.  Just lame security guard droids...

Not a bad episode, a filler but I don't have any problem with that, although I miss the TCW Hondo bouncing between being a sidekick comic relief and a straight up villain.

And his cape :<

Completely agree. The problem is that when he was a pirate king, Hondo's eccentricity was endearing. Now that he's a sad sack has-been, he's forced to play this sniveling con-man archetype, always groveling for assistance.

I miss when he was cool.

Edited by DarthEnderX