KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

So? Does it make the other guy come back to life?

Not killing your own men when they fail in unusual situations they weren't prepared for is completely normal. Thrawn doesn't deserve any praise for that.

Vader at least did his cleaning in the top of the command structure, killing people who were actually responsible for failures.

He dies because he says "What happened wasn't my fault" instead of "I failed and need to learn how to deal with these situations". The crewman exhibits a behaviour suggesting he doesn't want to fix his mistake, thats what Thrawn doesn't tolerate, not the failiure itself.

Not killing your own men when they fail in unusual situations they weren't prepared for is completely normal. Thrawn doesn't deserve any praise for that.

Vader at least did his cleaning in the top of the command structure, killing people who were actually responsible for failures.

He dies because he says "What happened wasn't my fault" instead of "I failed and need to learn how to deal with these situations". The crewman exhibits a behaviour suggesting he doesn't want to fix his mistake, thats what Thrawn doesn't tolerate, not the failiure itself.
Poorly trained conscript trying to explain why he failed...

I agree, he deserved to die. Praise be Saint Thrawn for his judgement is fair!

Okay, maybe I shouldn't look like I support Thrawn on this, thats right. It is cold blooded, cruel and not nessecary, but it isn't random and killing just for the sake of it.Thrawn wants to encourage and discourage certain bahaviours in all of his crew members and takes extreme measures to do so. He succeeds in creating a highly dedicated group of fanatics around him that do fit into what he is looking for.

I also realized something that excuses Thrawn continually letting the rebels escape. He's not trying to merely destroy this cell but he's attempting to uproot the Rebellion network from Phoenix Cell to connecting cells. If he were to just obliterate the Phoenix cells the others would go into hiding and the rebellion would persist indefinitely. Remember in A New Hope the Empire and Tarkin are trying desperately to find the Rebel's central base of operations. 

At this point from an Imperial perspective I think its a safe bet the Death Star's super laser is not looking a hopeful prospect two years out since they seem to only just have it working in Rogue One. So Thrawn is playing the long game with what assets he has.

Here's another point. Thrawn has never engaged the Rebels directly as of yet and so far has allowed clearly incompetent commanders engage them from Titus to Slavis and to Konstantine. This is beneficial in three ways. One the Rebels never get to see Thrawn and how he controls a battle so he stays an unknown and therefore they cannot strategize against him. By allowing incompetent officers to engage the Rebels he lures the Rebels into a false sense of security and ill conceived notion of invincibility that will cost them when Thrawn finally strikes. Finally by sitting back and observing Thrawn can analyze his opponents and behaviors because honestly the Rebels aren't doing anything they haven't been for the past three years. Why not spend another year to watch, as logically a year more won't make too much more of a difference.

All fair and good points, I agree with you. I would just like to see/hear that articulated a little more clearly on screen so as to give Thrawn some credibility to the viewers (remember that this is a kids' show and probably won't engage in the kind of disection above). In the novels, Thrawn's teacher/student relationship with Pelleon gave him opportunities to elaborate on his motivations and strategies without having to spout soliloquies to his bridge crew at large. This is something I feel nucannon Thrawn would benefit from.

Did you miss the part where the Ensign died, not the conscript? I think you did. Whooosh. And then he promoted that non-killed conscript to the recently vacated position of Ensign and made it clear that the same mistake should not happen again. And it WAS a mistake, one that could have shifted the course of the early war, and may have actually been the moment Thrawn lost.

I doubt it, Luke being handed over to a Jedi Master bound hand and foot was undoubtedly going to prejudice him against that Master, but that's getting a bit speculative about fiction.

Your asterisks are uncalled for. Don't curse people for having an opinion.

Don't vernacular-shame him.  The forum has a language filter for a reason, and he's free to make use of it.

There is no ethical difference between abusive language and abusive intent. The language filter is a failsafe, not a scapegoat to justify reproachable behavior.

And this is an ad hominem attack, trying to add extra discredit to my argument by saying, "Oh, my virgin ears! He may have said bad words under those asterisks!" 

That kind of thing does upset me, particularly when it wasn't directed at you specifically, it was directed at the Star Wars grognards who find it fashionable to hate Disney because they NEED to find a reason, ANY reason, to hate the Star Wars stories that had the audacity to be created after they grew up.

And in pawing through your old posts, we have a lot of the same positions. I'm sure if we met IRL we'd have a fine old time.

Your asterisks are uncalled for. Don't curse people for having an opinion.
Don't vernacular-shame him.  The forum has a language filter for a reason, and he's free to make use of it.
There is no ethical difference between abusive language and abusive intent. The language filter is a failsafe, not a scapegoat to justify reproachable behavior.And this is an ad hominem attack, trying to add extra discredit to my argument by saying, "Oh, my virgin ears! He may have said bad words under those asterisks!"  That kind of thing does upset me, particularly when it wasn't directed at you specifically, it was directed at the Star Wars grognards who find it fashionable to hate Disney because they NEED to find a reason, ANY reason, to hate the Star Wars stories that had the audacity to be created after they grew up. And in pawing through your old posts, we have a lot of the same positions. I'm sure if we met IRL we'd have a fine old time.

Here is the best olive branch I can offer: I stand by my principles, and I respect you for doing the same. Please accept my assurance that my arguments were not intended to be an ad hominem. I understand my intent was not communicated upon delivery; for this reason, I appologize for frustrations my posts caused.

Something else that I noticed is this episode shows just how effective Imperial propaganda is. Mart thinking that every imperial ship they come in contact with is a Star Destroyer shows to me that they use that ship in a lot of material, making it look as if that's the only ship class in the imperial navy.

The visual similarity between hulls probably doesn't hurt. One could even say it's intentional, if you're using the ol' mark I eyeball or some weak passive sensors, is that ship an Arquitens or Vigil class light cruising ship that's up close, or a breed of Star Destroyer or Battlecruiser that is just far away...? You can only find out by poking the bear somehow. Or in Thrawn's case, the Chimera. 

Something else that I noticed is this episode shows just how effective Imperial propaganda is. Mart thinking that every imperial ship they come in contact with is a Star Destroyer shows to me that they use that ship in a lot of material, making it look as if that's the only ship class in the imperial navy.

Or just that "their" media is as poor as ours.

I mean...have you ever seen a 'mass media' news story on anything remotely related to the Navy where they didn't call the ship in question a "battleship"?  Seriously - just take a look at coverage of the recently launched USS Zumwalt.  "Battleship", "battleship", "battleship" in every channel.

IT'S A DESTROYER.

But, whatever.  Nothing new - heck, my wife couldn't tell the YT-2400 in this episode apart from the Millennium Falcon.  (Points to her for recognizing it's a freighter, though, and certainly I'm beside myself she bothers to care at all at identifying a ship....but as above-average as she manages to be, she was still quite wrong.  The 'general public' is always going to be far worse.)

Edited by xanderf

On the other hand, that's a triumph of design Xanderf, and the person who originally created the YT2400 would be ecstatic to hear about it - that means that two ships who are related to each other can be identified AS related to each other, despite many visual differences. If you had held the ships up side-by-side, she would only have focused on those differences.

Seeing the last episode I noticed that one of the Gozanti´s of admiral Constantine has 3 TIE/ln fighters attached, but also 1 TIE/sa bomber.

Could we expect some upgrade card allowing multiple ship-type attachments to the Gozanti in the future?

Or do we get stuck with the ´only four of the same´ as we have currently?

Do people have houserules for this?

Soon or later we will see in Rebels something like:

- Officer: "Admiral, the rebel ships have just jumped hyperspace"

- Thrawn: "Send our fighters in pursuit"

- Officer: "Admiral, we don´t have hyperspace capable fighters"

- Thrawn: "Right, I think we need new designs... prepare my ship and arrange a meeting with engineers from Cygnus Spaceworks, probably the have an idea"

I really want someone to photoshop Rick from Rick & Morty as thrawn shouting GUNBOAT GUNBOAT GUNBOAT! For some strange reason...

Soon or later we will see in Rebels something like:

- Officer: "Admiral, the rebel ships have just jumped hyperspace"

- Thrawn: "Send our fighters in pursuit"

- Officer: "Admiral, we don´t have hyperspace capable fighters"

- Thrawn: "Right, I think we need new designs... prepare my ship and arrange a meeting with engineers from Cygnus Spaceworks, probably the have an idea"

I really want someone to photoshop Rick from Rick & Morty as thrawn shouting GUNBOAT GUNBOAT GUNBOAT! For some strange reason...

With the TIE defender being incorporated into that one mobile game, and Star Wars battlefront (making it real in the nu-canon) we still don't have a story to go along with the old triple wing. While the gunboat is entirely possible, the TIE defender is also on the table...

A TIE Defender in Rebels would inevitably be disappointing. Because unless it's soloing entire fleets of Rebels, it's not living up to it's earlier portrayals.

Whereas the Gunboat would be time period and power level appropriate for Rebels. And it's inclusion in the show would make it's release in the game a given. Which would get the Gunboat people to finally STFU(or at least, move on to the Missile Boat).

Edited by DarthEnderX

Advanced and Interceptors were soloing entire Rebel fleets in Rebels, obviously Defenders would have to go through the same rite of passage.

But  it's definitelly too soon for a new fighter, the ridiculously overpowered TIE Interceptors were introduced this very season and appeared in just one episode so far.

Advanced and Interceptors were soloing entire Rebel fleets in Rebels, obviously Defenders would have to go through the same rite of passage.

The Advanced's ability to solo a fleet probably had less to do with the ship itself, and more to do with who was piloting it.

Edited by DarthEnderX

The Advanced's ability to solo a fleet probably had less to do with the ship itself, and more to do with who was piloting it.

.... And because Spinning is still a neat trick...

It was pretty....wizard! 

AW YEAH IM BRINGIN IT BACK!!!

$_1.JPG

(Referenced from)

So, whose ready for another marvelous mis-adventure with Hondo? I'm surprised He has not graced our game yet, but then again he doesn't exactly have a ship...

Edited by FlyingAnchors

It was pretty....wizard! 

AW YEAH IM BRINGIN IT BACK!!!

$_1.JPG

(Referenced from)

So, whose ready for another marvelous mis-adventure with Hondo? I'm surprised He has not graced our game yet, but then again he doesn't exactly have a ship...

If they were to introduce Hondo don't you think the Luxury Yacht would be the fit? Plus if they do it would mean we get a Scum Lando too~. There would also be a case for Mara Jade as well, depending if they can or want to add her as a pilot.