Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

[double post]

Yt-2400, TIE Interceptor, Y-wing

So I just watched this season three preview and saw the YT-2400, Y-wings,

and the blood stripe TIE Inteceptors, but I also saw Interceptors attacking a GR75.

There is also some TIE Bombers in the mix apparently.

Unfortunately these might have been the ships Doug was referring to;

But I'm going to go ahead and hope my "very comprehensive list" swayed him.

Edited by gabe69velasquez

It makes you wonder why the rebellion isn't just recruiting freighters rather than loosing so many fighters?  Freighters, apparently, are far superior than fighters? That is one thing similar between the game and the Rebel's animation.

[Edited for spell'in an grammar]

Edited by Ken at Sunrise

It makes you wonder why the rebellion isn't just recruiting freighters rather than loosing so many fighters?  Freighters, apparently, are far superior than fighters? That is one thing similar between the game and the Rebel's animation.

Well, it's probably easier to learn how to fly a freighter than a fighter. Easier to get your hands on a freighter.

Well, it's probably easier to learn how to fly a freighter than a fighter. Easier to get your hands on a freighter.

Its because they use Plot ShieldsTM on those ships, but they either work or they don't. One day they make you invincible, the next they go down at the most dramatic moment.

Question on the episode - why wasn't this Dash Rendar and the Outrider?

He'd be about the right age for the kids in the episode, and the ship is certainly close enough to be an earlier version of the Outrider...

Wonder why they felt like introducing entirely-new characters...

Question on the episode - why wasn't this Dash Rendar and the Outrider?

He'd be about the right age for the kids in the episode, and the ship is certainly close enough to be an earlier version of the Outrider...

Wonder why they felt like introducing entirely-new characters...

Why would they bring back Dash just to change literally everything about him?

The only connection between those two characters is the class of ship.

EDIT: According to wookie Dash was born c. 28 BBY, so he would be 25 by the time this episdoe takes place.

Edited by eMeM

There was a post of a [part] colour sketch for the Iron Squadron YT-2400 on Facebook [not been able to track down the full image yet] - dated Sept last year - with those kind of lead times, I'm wondering if all the series 4 artwork has already been completed ?  :unsure:

...so it might be that any ships from the list that do appear will be a happy coincidence rather than any direct influence...but you never know how late they can make changes  ;)

At this point, they already know if Season 4 is happening, because work would have to start before now. The decision has already been made, just not announced. 

I've accepted that this show has no continuity or understanding of which ships are good counters for which and what constitutes armor and firepower. I think Rebels is ultimately a show that you have to sit back and enjoy for what it is despite how frustrating it can be. Ultimately I think the series will pay off and be good for the Nucanon. 

As for Thrawn, I think this entire endeavor was to undermine Admiral Konstantine. I actually think he knew the other would fail and that this mission had nothing to do with stopping or trapping the rebels.  

Konstantine and his small force was IMHO just bait to draw Sato out of wherever he was hiding. I guess the one thing Thrawn miscalculated was how quickly Konstantine would fold, I guess he counted on Rebels taking the bait and him arriving in force and destroying/capturing them with the help of Konstantines flotilla, not coming to witness his defeat.

There was a post of a [part] colour sketch for the Iron Squadron YT-2400 on Facebook [not been able to track down the full image yet] - dated Sept last year - with those kind of lead times, I'm wondering if all the series 4 artwork has already been completed ?  :unsure:

...so it might be that any ships from the list that do appear will be a happy coincidence rather than any direct influence...but you never know how late they can make changes  ;)

At this point, they already know if Season 4 is happening, because work would have to start before now. The decision has already been made, just not announced.

I doubt Rebels gets a season 4. My money is on ending with a season 3 tie-in to Rogue one. Next year they will start fresh with a kids' show in the post-RotJ timeline.

I doubt Rebels gets a season 4. My money is on ending with a season 3 tie-in to Rogue one. Next year they will start fresh with a kids' show in the post-RotJ timeline.

FPJ (who plays Kanan) had said in his Twitch feed that Disney has 'already bought all seasons of Rebels, and the yearly renewal announcement is just for marketing purposes'.

There is another interview he'd done a few weeks back, too, where he mentioned the cast was already doing voice sessions for season 4 episodes.

Everything points to getting 5 seasons of Rebels. Sorry haters. 

Disney haters are **** fools anyway. They need to accept that Disney has decided good storytelling is good business, rather than the other way around, and are earning money hand over fist BECAUSE they produce good product.

What I'm loving about Disney recently is that they're grasping a truth of storytelling:

There is a beginning, middle, AND end of a story.

When the creator of Gravity Falls was asked to extend it past two seasons, he flatly refused, and rather than try to coerce him into giving them more of the IP and more profits, they just accepted it. When they were told Dr. Strange was a part of the Marvel movie storyline rather than saying, "No, we need more Iron Man," they accepted it and allowed

his Infinity Stone

to become a part of the buildup to the conclusion.

And we already knew that Star Wars Rebels has a defined arc, with five seasons, and the renewal notices are just formalities.

If Disney had been in charge of the Star Wars IP during the Clone Wars Saga, we would have seen the ending Dave Filoni wanted to make. We wouldn't've gotten the half-season six, and had the 'ending' spread out through several novels and comic books.

And these people hate Disney because... why? I mean, I've known evil corporations, and Disney hasn't been evil since the 1940s (Union-busting, idea-stealing, and other genuine nastiness were part of Walt's bag). Since the 1960s they've done nothing but run several theme parks (quite well, if the opinion of the park employees are to be trusted!) and produce mediocre-to-good entertainment.

It's not like DuPont (poisoning their own employees to produce teflon cookware and lying about it for decades), Exxon (knew about climate change in 1981 and spent the last 40 years throwing money at anti-climate change propaganda), Comcast (lobbying against updating the US telecom grid so they can earn more money), American Cyanomid (manufactures cancerous pesticides illegal in the US and exports them to countries they are legal in), Nestle (buys from sources known to use child and/or slave labor then shrugs and says, "nothing we can do about it!"), DeBeers (encourages bloody wars in areas with rich diamond mines to artificially drive up the price of their shiny rocks), or dozens of other corporations who may not be as outright EVIL as the ones listed above, but daily engage in unethical practices that would make you punch a real life person if he tried pulling that **** on you.

It's like... get some ******* perspective.

Edited by iamfanboy

"iamafanboy" name says it all. You're also over reacting. Guessing when a show will end is not the same thing as hating it. As for myself; I'm simply pointing out Rogue One is a logical endpoint for Rebels. You talk about Disney's alleged dedication to beginning, middle and end, but I disagree. Season 1 of Rebels gives a lotnof viewers the impression that there was no grand plan.

Clearly not everyone knows what you claim to know, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even if five seasons were planned; plans change. Networks change contracts, cancel shows and extend shows all the time.

Your asterisks are uncalled for. Don't curse people for having an opinion.

American Cyanomid (manufactures cancerous pesticides illegal in the US and exports them to countries they are legal in)

Minor utterly irrevelant point of information that you may or may not be interested by: if you mean a chemical that causes cancer the word you're after is carcinogenic.

"iamafanboy" name says it all. You're also over reacting. Guessing when a show will end is not the same thing as hating it. As for myself; I'm simply pointing out Rogue One is a logical endpoint for Rebels. You talk about Disney's alleged dedication to beginning, middle and end, but I disagree. Season 1 of Rebels gives a lotnof viewers the impression that there was no grand plan.

Clearly not everyone knows what you claim to know, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. Even if five seasons were planned; plans change. Networks change contracts, cancel shows and extend shows all the time.

I wasn't specifically calling you out for guessing wrong about the ending of the show, though I do wonder if I bothered to look through your history for irrational dislike of Disney how much I would find?

American Cyanomid (manufactures cancerous pesticides illegal in the US and exports them to countries they are legal in)

Minor utterly irrevelant point of information that you may or may not be interested by: if you mean a chemical that causes cancer the word you're after is carcinogenic.

Cancerous has a better negative index than carcinogenic even if it isn't the perfectly correct word, because it's shorter and actually has all the letters of 'cancer' in it. More impactful, more threatening, more dangerous. More syllables cushion the word's meaning from people's minds. It's why 'deceased' hurts less than 'dead', and so on.

EDIT: Cancer-causing would probably be best, however.

Edited by iamfanboy

Finally finished the Thrawn Trilogy in entirety for the first time. Wow what an amazing trilogy of books. I hope we get to see Thrawn victorious without dying. I feel that just like the books he will die at the end of this season but I really hope not. He's such a fantastic character. Man his final scene in the Last Command was, and I do mean this about a Star Wars book, actually kind've sad. I can't believe i'm saying that but I genuinely felt connected to the character a bit.

I also highly recommend the Marc Thompson audiobooks of the trilogy.  

I could've sworn that Filoni said the series would either end before or leading into Rogue One so I don't think there's any expectations of it going beyond nor should it. Rebels is an okay series with some fantastic characters and potential, but I think it should stay contained in this era.

For now Rebels to me is a way of getting the old EU canonized again. So I hope we get to see Palleon, Isard, Victory Class Star Destroyers before the end.

Edited by Forresto

I could've sworn that Filoni said the series would either end before or leading into Rogue One so I don't think there's any expectations of it going beyond nor should it. Rebels is an okay series with some fantastic characters and potential, but I think it should stay contained in this era.

For now Rebels to me is a way of getting the old EU canonized again. So I hope we get to see Palleon, Isard, Victory Class Star Destroyers before the end.

The only Filoni quotes I've seen RE: Rogue One were that the series would be getting 'darker in tone to align more with a transition into the Rogue One time period' (more or less).

Not that the series ends as the Rogue One movie comes out, per se, but that the end of the series will be in roughly the same time period as Rogue One is set.  Keep in mind that is still 2 more years, at least - Rogue One is evidently set effectively 'days' before Episode IV, and Rebels started out 5 years before Episode IV.  So presuming a 5-year run of Rebels (which is what everyone seems to be expecting), that would indeed have Rebels ending its story in about the same time period as Rogue One.  The events thereof, not the theatrical release thereof.

How much money... From what I know they have a contract for 5 years leading all the way up to Rogue One. And have been renewed for another series after that, but not Rebels.

The only Filoni quotes I've seen RE: Rogue One were that the series would be getting 'darker in tone to align more with a transition into the Rogue One time period' (more or less).

Not that the series ends as the Rogue One movie comes out, per se, but that the end of the series will be in roughly the same time period as Rogue One is set.  Keep in mind that is still 2 more years, at least - Rogue One is evidently set effectively 'days' before Episode IV, and Rebels started out 5 years before Episode IV.  So presuming a 5-year run of Rebels (which is what everyone seems to be expecting), that would indeed have Rebels ending its story in about the same time period as Rogue One.  The events thereof, not the theatrical release thereof.

Hahah oh agreed. I didnt realize that the way I phrased it made it sound like I meant the theatrical release, I meant chronologically. I do think your logic is right. Two years, could give us two or three more seasons. Arguably they could pull a M*A*S*H* and keep it going indefinitely but with the momentum of franchise moving forward I doubt they want to keep Rebels on for too much longer.

What I think is going to happen is that Rebels is going to end, probably with season 5 being the final, and be followed by a series set between the Original Trilogy and the Sequel Trilogy. The franchise is moving forward and while there is room for prequel content, clearly with the Han Solo and Boba feet movies, the main trilogy content is set three decades or about in the future. Or they're going to pull a KOTOR and the next series will be set 1000 years before the events of the Prequels. Either way Filoni seems to be working on a new series.     

Edited by Forresto

It's entirely possible that the rouge one tie in is as little as a name drop, so basing it off of the movie is sketchy. I think there will be a tie in, but that doesn't mean the Ghosts crew is done rebelling after the plans are stolen or the Death Star is destroyed. It won't run that long but it doesn't have to be an abrupt end like most of you think it will be.