Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

Kanan does seem to embrace a rather non-Jedi philosophy of blaming yourself for bad things that happen to you. I think he sees (pun intended) his blinding as his rightful punishment for failing Ezra as a master to the extent that he fell so easily under Maul's influence.

The former temple guard/Inquisitor/Yoda (depending how you interpret that vision) may have named Kanan a Jedi Knight, but he's still far from accepting that he deserves that role, and his constant failure to impart the deeper truths behind the Jedi teachings to Ezra is definitely something he feels guilty about. Not that it's actually his fault - Ezra's too consumed with pride to listen.

As for SW:Rebels, I think they have 85% of the ships on point.

The problem is, are they really on point, or is it because most of them have no alternate forms in previous material?

I mean, in that 15% are the squished TIE Fighters, which are iconic to Star Wars.

As for SW:Rebels, I think they have 85% of the ships on point.

The problem is, are they really on point, or is it because most of them have no alternate forms in previous material?

I mean, in that 15% are the squished TIE Fighters, which are iconic to Star Wars.

True.

I think that since it's a stylized cartoon, they probably have Zeb's nose a bit squished too.

Everything is a bit,   "fuller"  for lack of a better words.

Probably for ease for production,  simplifying shapes.

Not complaining,  now plz gib sentinel shuttle with some of those imperial officers that have been dotting the series.   Like Brom (dude who beefed the Interdictor) or  Governor Pryce.
.......I mean yeh sure we're getting the upsilon, and already have the lambda,  but the space cow heard must grow.

"Iron Squadron" was awful. Worst episode of season 3. I had flashbacks to season 1, and visions of Jet from Avatar.

The only redeeming moments in "Iron Squadron" are the Thrawn scenes. He is still a puppet master.

I liked it. Certainly not the worst S3 episode, the holocron, Wedge and mando ones were very boring, this one had some nice space action (wow, a working point defence! And all the big ships are armed this time!) and some suspense (will Konstantine make it?!).

Konstantine is alive, although I fully expected Thrawn to order his guns to fire at the wrecked ARGHkittens!, and it doesn't look like the admiral has a bright future in the Imperial Navy.

The ISD coming out of hyperspace was great.

Except for the dramatic entry Thrawn does nothing, again. I'm afraid he will let Rebels escape to catch a bigger fish every single time and then probably lose the final battle anyway, meaning he dun goofed being greedy and not taking the carrier, Sato, and the Ghost when he had the chance.

And ****, the Ghost has STRONG shields.

Edited by eMeM

Finally we see CR-90s actually shooting something.

I do agree that the new kids kind of ruined the episode, but those space battles more than made up for it.

I also was slightly disappointed (yet I also expected) that Thrawn would let his catch escape.

Konstantine was useless as usual. I was really hoping he would've been seriously injured and Thrawn would have just left him there to die. (I guess that's too dark and sinister for a kids show though We really need an adult star wars show).

I liked it. Certainly not the worst S3 episode, the holocron, Wedge and mando ones were very boring, this one had some nice space action (wow, a working point defence! And all the big ships are armed this time!) and some suspense (will Konstantine make it?!).

So the episodes with relevance to the entire Star Wars Universe bore you and an epsiode that will porbably go down as mostly filler is better. I don't think you're looking beyond the surface of flashy space combat sequences.

The best parts of "Iron Squadron" are off screen. I believe Thrawn not only anticipated Constantine's failure, he engineered it. Thrawn could have allowed Constatine to take a fleet on the mission, but an easy victory on one world the Empire inevitably controls does nothing for Thrawn's greater purpose. He wants small groups of Rebels to escape. he wants them to congraegate so he can deal a finishing blow on his terms.

On the Rebel side of this episode, the trio of kids playing hero is nothing more than fan service to the target audience. I accept it because I'm honest with myself. I'm watching a kid's show. It doesn't change the fact that Iron Squadron is Jet, Pipsqueak and Smellerbee all over again. The Iron Squadron exists for a number of thematic reasons; the details aren't terribly important, except that we get a basis for comparison in Ezra's character development. Nothing vital to the Rebel cause actually happened in the episode.

Edited by jmswood

I'm not watching a documentary but a cartoon.

Boring episodes and forced cameos bore me, simple as that, and Holocrons of Fate gives me doubts if allowing a cartoon "have relevance to the entire Star Wars Universe" was a good idea.

Edited by eMeM

I'll concede the point about forced cameos.

I don't think it's a mistake to make a kids' show important to the universe, because it gives young fans the credit they deserve. Engaging multiple age groups in meaningful ways has always been a part of Star Wars.

I'm going to indulge Rebels like a dessert bar at a Vegas buffet, the same as I do the rest of the Star Wars universe.

I just find the idea that holocrons, created by people, have the power to access ANY knowledge incredibly stupid and I'm afraid of the implications of a canon source showing multiple times a single fighter massacring a capital ship.

But my (main) point is that an episode can be "important" and boring at the same time. I, despite being a Star Wars fan engaged deepy into the universe, am not obliged to like anything just because it's important to the lore.

Example: events described in Aftermath are much more important that anything that happened in Rebels, but this doesn't make the book readable.

Someone needs to explain to Iron Squadron that one ship is not a squadron.

And finally, capitol ships actually shooting!  Just...not the Star Destroyer that should have instantly vaporized the Rebels directly in front of it...

The Empire needs more Interdictors.  Thrawn is always at his best with Interdictors at his disposal.

although I fully expected Thrawn to order his guns to fire at the wrecked ARGHkittens!,

Thrawn is generally not one to waste personnel or materials.  Even if the Admiral is a failure, that doesn't mean all his men are useless.

I just find the idea that holocrons, created by people, have the power to access ANY knowledge incredibly stupid
The holocrons are powered by the Force, so they aren't subject to the limitations of the people who created them, but by the Force itself.

I'm more concerned that combining Dark Side and Light Side holocrons yields far more power than they do separately.  Which implies that using both is actually the strongest path, which contradicts previously established themes.
Edited by DarthEnderX

The reason a lot of the ships look weird is because a lot of the time they yo back to the concept art rather than copy the final movie design. TBH I quite like that, the ships all look like what they are but it gives you a different view of them. It's not like the people look like real people.

Someone needs to explain to Iron Squadron that one ship is not a squadron.

And finally, capitol ships actually shooting!  Just...not the Star Destroyer that should have instantly vaporized the Rebels directly in front of it...

The Empire needs more Interdictors.  Thrawn is always at his best with Interdictors at his disposal.

although I fully expected Thrawn to order his guns to fire at the wrecked ARGHkittens!,

Thrawn is generally not one to waste personnel or materials.  Even if the Admiral is a failure, that doesn't mean all his men are useless.

I just find the idea that holocrons, created by people, have the power to access ANY knowledge incredibly stupid

The holocrons are powered by the Force, so they aren't subject to the limitations of the people who created them, but by the Force itself.

I'm more concerned that combining Dark Side and Light Side holocrons yields far more power than they do separately.  Which implies that using both is actually the strongest path, which contradicts previously established themes.

The father was without doubt the strongest of the 3 celestials, Anakin was using light and dark side as well when he actually manage to stand up against son and daughter and Abeloth drank from both wells too and became the strongest entity of the galaxy. The theme established is that force wielders usually fall jedi fall to the darkside when they start to use dark and light. the theme was that balance is hard to achieve long-term. Besides, any the holocrons had combined great knowledge, but in the end it was the users and their control of the force which game them answers. So it seemed more like having access to the dark and light side holocron did boost the abilities of the force wielders and not bring automatically omniscience to them, they still had to search within he force for their answers and the amount of them seemed limited as well.

Yeah Hera finally trained some people to man the turrets...It really bugged me when Vader is strafing phoenix one and nobody was shooting at him.

This episode wasn't great, but as usual my biggest problem was Sabine knowing everything.

"They attached somthing to my ship!"

"It's probably a manegtic mine, remotely detonated."

Bravo Sabine... you've done it again. 

*slow clap*

I think the space battle was cool. I find it funny that a CR90 can fight two gozantis and a ARGHKITTENS, but can't find a good interceptor pilot!  :lol:

I just find the idea that holocrons, created by people, have the power to access ANY knowledge incredibly stupid and I'm afraid of the implications of a canon source showing multiple times a single fighter massacring a capital ship.

But my (main) point is that an episode can be "important" and boring at the same time. I, despite being a Star Wars fan engaged deepy into the universe, am not obliged to like anything just because it's important to the lore.

Example: events described in Aftermath are much more important that anything that happened in Rebels, but this doesn't make the book readable.

I doubt the holocrons are truly limitless. The full impact of that episode, and the cost for the involved characters has yet to be seen.

I absolutely agree with your distinction between importance and quality.

Yeah Hera finally trained some people to man the turrets...It really bugged me when Vader is strafing phoenix one and nobody was shooting at him.

I think too many people assume Phenix Home was a combat vessel. Considering the "Corellian Corvette" has been retconned into "Alderaan Cruiser" it stands to reason that Phenix Home is also of Alderaanian origin, and not likely a warship.

Cute episode. As an older guy, the "rebellious kids fighting above their weight and getting out of their depth" trope is played but as someone said, accept the limitations of the medium.

And more space battles is never a bad thing.

I missed 2-3 minutes near the end so did the YT-2400 survive or was that ship lost?

I doubt the holocrons are truly limitless. The full impact of that episode, and the cost for the involved characters has yet to be seen.

I absolutely agree with your distinction between importance and quality.

I think too many people assume Phenix Home was a combat vessel. Considering the "Corellian Corvette" has been retconned into "Alderaan Cruiser" it stands to reason that Phenix Home is also of Alderaanian origin, and not likely a warship.

Phoenix Home was a Pelta-class frigate, while the original was not always armed, Sato's ship sports at least 7 turrets visible on the model.

This episode wasn't great, but as usual my biggest problem was Sabine knowing everything.

"They attached somthing to my ship!"

"It's probably a manegtic mine, remotely detonated."

Bravo Sabine... you've done it again. 

*slow clap*

I think the space battle was cool. I find it funny that a CR90 can fight two gozantis and a ARGHKITTENS, but can't find a good interceptor pilot!  :lol:

At least they can play it off as her Imperial Academy training, would have felt more forced if another character said it.

It would be cool if they bring the mine to the game, maybe as a missile or bomb upgrade that when it hits it puts a mine token on that ship. The owner of the mine at the start of the combat phase can discard that token to either do damage, or roll dice for damage, to that ship and every ship at range 1 of it. The idea of potentially changing how your opponent flies mid game might be interesting, of course it would be better against swarm builds or multi ship builds rather than two ship builds.