Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

Pardon my ignorance, but I see this thread has a host of followers, so it must be something substantial an there lies a possible angle that I could play to my advantage with your groups knowledge. And I do hereby promise not to poke fun at the cartoonish X-Wing ships (as I have in some other threads) that I can only assume got their genesis on the show that is praised herein. Although I love good-hearted banter and a hearty laugh, I also understand it is not polite to poke too much fun at that which you do not understand.

So here's my request for a basic overview, ie. a "Cliff Notes" version, so-to-speak. The issue at hand is my nephews watch this show (or at least two of them have spoken of it), so I'd like a working knowledge. So if someone could tell me the basics like, is it a cartoon or CGI?, Is it tied into the movie lore in any way? if so, where does it fall within the movies? Who's the antagonist? the protagonist? What is the overarching theme? (I'm assuming it is terrorist trying to overthrow the government as in the movie universe).

Anyway, I guess I could google or Wiki, or Wookie this, but I like this forum and you guys seem to be knee deep in it. Thanks!

Signed, the uninformed....

Pardon my ignorance, but I see this thread has a host of followers, so it must be something substantial an there lies a possible angle that I could play to my advantage with your groups knowledge. And I do hereby promise not to poke fun at the cartoonish X-Wing ships (as I have in some other threads) that I can only assume got their genesis on the show that is praised herein. Although I love good-hearted banter and a hearty laugh, I also understand it is not polite to poke too much fun at that which you do not understand.

So here's my request for a basic overview, ie. a "Cliff Notes" version, so-to-speak. The issue at hand is my nephews watch this show (or at least two of them have spoken of it), so I'd like a working knowledge. So if someone could tell me the basics like, is it a cartoon or CGI?, Is it tied into the movie lore in any way? if so, where does it fall within the movies? Who's the antagonist? the protagonist? What is the overarching theme? (I'm assuming it is terrorist trying to overthrow the government as in the movie universe).

Anyway, I guess I could google or Wiki, or Wookie this, but I like this forum and you guys seem to be knee deep in it. Thanks!

First question, have you seen the Clone Wars? cause i doubt you have based on your post, but if you have, it's very similar.

1) Its a computer Generated Cartoon.

2) It is set post Episode 3, Pre Episode 4...  I think the intention was to be about 15 years after 3, and thus about 3-5 years before Episode 4.

3) Its about the fledgeling alliance, of sorts.  How a person can go from surviving to fighting...  to surviving...

4) It is completely canon.  It is as legitimate as movie lore itself.  

CGI.

Season 1 takes place in years 5-4 before Episode IV, Season 2 3 years and the current, third season 2 years before Yavin. There are movie tie-ins, movie characters show up from time to time, some things get expanded or explained.

The antagonist is the Empire, with different bad guys every season and some recurring ones, the protagonists are the crew of the Ghost (a heavily modified freighter), Hera, Kanan, Zeb, Sabine, Ezra and Chopper, at first working on their own against the Empire on the planet Lothal, later joining the Alliance cell known as Phoenix Squadron/Group/Fleet and moving from smuggling, small acts of vandalism and occasional murder sprees to hijacking carriers and blowing up Star Destroyers.

Edited by eMeM

For the game, Rebels has spawned the Imperial Assault Carrier (Gozanti), the Inquisitor's TIE, the Ghost/Phantom, the Mist Hunter, and the Lancer pursuit craft. We also get to see such capital ships as the Imperial Immobilizer class (the precursor to the Interdictor from the books), the Imperial Quasar Fire-class light carrier, a D4-shaped Imp cargo hauler, and, the Hammerhead corvette, and a modified version of the Pelta-class Frigate from the Clone Wars CGI show. Also some Mandalorian fighters. 

Just like the Clone Wars TV show, Rebels takes a little while to find its footing, and then really takes off as a decent show in its own right. The Darth Vader arc was particularly good. 

Edited by BenderIsGreat

CG Animation. 

It's canon. 

It takes place 3-5 years before A New Hope. 

The antagonist has been changing. First it was The Grand Inquisitor, then Vader, now Thrawn, with a bunh of other baddies mixed in. 

The protagonists are the crew of The Ghost. 

The overarching theme seems to be family/the empire is bad let's rebel against it. 

For the game, Rebels has spawned the Imperial Assault Carrier (Gozanti), the Inquisitor's TIE, the Ghost/Phantom, the Mist Hunter, and the Lancer pursuit craft. We also get to see such capital ships as the Imperial Immobilizer class (the precursor to the Interdictor from the books), the Imperial Quasar Fire-class light carrier, a D4-shaped Imp cargo hauler, and, the Hammerhead corvette, and a modified version of the Pelta-class Frigate from the Clone Wars CGI show. Also some Mandalorian fighters. 

Just like the Clone Wars TV show, Rebels takes a little while to find its footing, and then really takes off as a decent show in its own right. The Darth Vader arc was particularly good. 

Not the Mist Hunter but the very similar looking Wookie Gunboat.

VERY similar looking.

Are we sure they aren't the same class (just modified differently?  a la the various Gozanti-related ships?)

The Mist Hunter is much older, but it did spawn the Protectorate Fighter (Fang). Also note the Gozanti was also in clone wars and I believe also appear in the prequels as a background ship, though the Imperial refit is new.

Edited by Rodent Mastermind

Have I got this right...

• Additions to the sides (wings)
  • Rear guns added to above.
  • Astromech slot.
  • New canopy shape.
  • Front guns.
  • Bottom hatch.
  • Shortened fin?

Well, have tried to recreate the changes to the fin in 3D [Tinkercad] from my Sheathipede model...and it looks awful, way too thick  :(

...will be interested if Mel does the new shuttle, how much of his existing Sheathipede he is able to reuse  :huh:

Well, I guess it depends on how much you want your Notes Cliffed.

It is a cartoon. The medium of that cartoon is 3d CGI animation.

It is not only tied into the movie lore, it is entirely canon (albeit the cartoon type of canon that you take with a bit of salt), and it takes place about a 1-5 years before the events of A New Hope counting down as the show goes on.

There are many antagonists and protagonists that the show will focus on from time to time, but the main protagonist is a young not-a-Jedi-yet named Ezra Bridger, and the main antagonist is really the Empire as an organization. The face of the Empire that serves as the primary antagonist changes from season to season as antagonists are killed off or more important ones are brought in to deal with the Rebels.

The theme is classic good vs evil, but the story follows the day-to-day struggle of a single Rebel cell as they wage guerrilla war on the Empire, and the ways in which that struggle helps them grow as individuals and as a family/team.

It is cartoonish in nature, but that is the way of these things. The first few episodes use cartoony humor to draw in the primary audience (children/teens) and attach them emotionally to the characters. Once you are familiar with the cast it begins to skim and dip into more mature ideas; far enough to get the point across, but tastefully enough that it is still works for kids. 

I like it, it's a nice change of pace from my normal fare (Game of Character Deaths, and The Walking-Crawling-Crying Dead) and it kinda fits that little hole in my heart that Firefly left so that's cool too.

Plus, Star Wars!  :D

Edit: 

There was a pretty good cartoon (still 3D-CGI) that came before this called The Clone Wars. It was about... The Clone Wars!

And about how Anakin, Obi-Wan, a padiwan named Ashoka, and various other characters developed in-between the events of Episodes 2 and 3. They bring slightly aged characters in from that series from time to time, and if you've seen it it is very rewarding to see the old characters finishing off old story-lines and interacting with the new generation of characters. (I hadn't seen it beforehand, it was actually Rebels that got me to go back and watch TCW retroactively. Still did me good though.)

Edited by OneKelvin

VERY similar looking.

Are we sure they aren't the same class (just modified differently?  a la the various Gozanti-related ships?)

Might be? I need to go back and see the ep again to refresh my memory. 

Anyway, OP, watch it, it's a good show and you'll definitely get your SW fix. 

The Mist Hunter is old EU and doesn't actually appear in Rebels at all, the Gozanti originates from The Phantom Menace although Rebels is responsible for bolting TIEs to it.

First question, have you seen the Clone Wars? cause i doubt you have based on your post, but if you have, it's very similar.

Nope, sorry.

Nope, sorry.

That's okay, about half of them are unbearable to watch - and while most of those unbearable to watch ones are concentrated in the first three seasons, the latter three have some painful filler as well. What's super painful to me are the arcs where in the first episode you can clearly see what the storyline path is - and then they drag it out for THREE episodes of utter, mind-numbing blaster flashes. **** you, Umbara.

But of the other half, one fourth of them are utterly brilliant.

The main relation of Clone Wars to Rebels is that in Season 2 it brings back some characters from Clone Wars and wraps up their storylines - while still continuing the storylines of the main characters.

Rebels is, in a word, good. It's not great, but it has some great moments, nicely handled character development, good pacing, and oftentimes it pops up with something that you think is a filler episode which turns out to be important later on to the plot.

The primary annoyance to me in the first few episodes was Ezra being so transparently Space Aladdin; the first time I watched it I started singing, "One step, ahead of the breadline/One swing, ahead of the sword.." The other characters were interesting from the start, but he grated on me for the first two episodes. Then he started getting more interesting.

The only reasons to not watch it is if you're

1) A die-hard grognard clinging to the EU novels and shedding tears over the non-canon wyrwolves, won't someone think of the wyrwolves?!, or

2) Seriously cannot STAND CGI animation.

Nope, sorry.

That's okay, about half of them are unbearable to watch - and while most of those unbearable to watch ones are concentrated in the first three seasons, the latter three have some painful filler as well. 

I had to try (no kidding) on three separate occasions to get through the first episode - the horrible narrator, the music, the cartoony nature of it just bugged me and totally turned me off.  I finally pushed on with it as a pal kept insisting it was great and am very glad I did.  There were some awesome episodes and stories in there, if you can wade through the stuff you dislike.

It's backwards. The artist wasn't terribly clever.

Because it is oh so easy to tell which is the front on the ship, especially since the ship is piloted and once was built exclusively for a droid. Droids don't necessarily need windows.

yeah but primary thrusters don't usually point forward.

Because it is oh so easy to tell which is the front on the ship, especially since the ship is piloted and once was built exclusively for a droid. Droids don't necessarily need windows.

You never know, Hound's Tooth has primary thrusters pointing upwards

You never know, Hound's Tooth has primary thrusters pointing upwards

I'm pretty sure those are exhausts for the reactor. And the main thrusters are the horizontal lines behind the cab.