KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

Ah I understand. I can kind of understand why Mandalorians are much more militarized in the new canon because they've basically been under constant assault from the Republic, Jedi, and other Mandalorians. That would create a much tighter military society when everyone's out to get you. I have no doubt that back when it was an option, they were probably more individual in their gear. Now it's basically mass-produced in a fight to stay alive. I was also under the impression that the planet was BD0ed by the Republic centuries ago. I think if it was the civil war, Satine would have been denounced as a hypocrite for fighting a war that destroyed the planet, and then insisting she was a pacifist.

Filoni specifically makes a point that Mandalorian armour isn't heavily customised in his commentary: it's a battle uniform rather than a medium for personal expression, like Clone Trooper or Stormtrooper armour. Sabine aside they don't tend to customise more than the Clones do.

As for Satine, the Mandalorian Civil War is what creates the pacifist faction: over 50% of the population die. The wholesale rejection of warfare by a populace that was increasily less committed to it isn't unrealistic. They remain a regimented society in the sense of organisation and discipline if the appearance of their civilians is any indication though.

They're still Mandalorians though: they don't take much convincing during the Clone Wars.

"Hey guys, we just won the civil war by deploying nukes and wiping our enemies off the face of the planet, by the way I'm now pacifist." That's very absurd. That said, I'm pretty sure the planet was destroyed well before the Civil War.

"We've won the war against the insurgents but at what cost? Most of our people are dead, our planet is in ruins. Here and now we commit: NEVER AGAIN."

The clones customized quite a bit though, I'd say the stormtrooper comparison is more apt.

As for the pacifists, maybe it's just me, but I can't believe an entire society would be stupid enough to kill off their enemies, then become pacifist, and then expect that because they've rejected war, they can be neutral,

Worked for Germany, Japan and Austria for almost a half a century. And only the german unification really force the germans into a position with more responsibility, while the cold war force them to pick a side and keep a strong military presence, while staying out of any military intervention for a long, long time. So this is not not even without precedence and the crimes of ww2 are seem not be be on the same scale as the mando civil war. Though the political position of mandalore was more like the swiss, they took lead of the neutral systems and within their influence zone and they apparently had enough military and economical influence to keep CIS involvment out of their whole influence zone … 2000 systems under the control of an ancient warrior race, not the kind of society which you want to push into their old ways again.

Except Mandalore is quoted as being pacifist. The Swiss most definitely are not.

Not wanting to get into wars =/= Pacifist. I think people don't understand what I'm saying. Being neutral is ok. As pointed out, the Swiss haven't been in a war for almost 200 years. But to be pacifist, without a military, and be neutral in a galactic conflict is saying, "Conquer me, conquer me!" (which indeed happened with Maul's Collective.

hence my very deliberate use of "in his scenario"

Yes, but that's the part that can offend people. Comparing a fictional body count to a real one and then calling the real one "silly little".Even the greatest loss of life in history will sound insignificant when you compare it to one you made up."Oh, every war in human history caused 500 million deaths? Well that's nothing compared to Alderaan!"
way to miss the point.

I'm not particularly offended by his statement, but to call any war casualties silly, is horrible. Sure it was close to 150 years ago, but it's still extremely disrespectful to casually dismiss the sacrifices of those people as silly, especially when comparing them to a fictional universe with technology far more destructive then our own.

"This lightsaber was stolen from your temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic." - Pre Vizsla

The collapse of the Older Republic involved the Mandalorians in some manner.

During the time of Swtor, I think. The Mandalorian Bounty Hunter in the Deceived cinematic is Shae Vizsla so we can assume the Darksaber was taken then as it would correspond well with what Pre Vizsla says. But, I'm just making guesses here.

"This lightsaber was stolen from your temple by my ancestors during the fall of the Old Republic." - Pre Vizsla

During the time of Swtor, I think. The Mandalorian Bounty Hunter in the Deceived cinematic is Shae Vizsla so we can assume the Darksaber was taken then as it would correspond well with what Pre Vizsla says. But, I'm just making guesses here.

It would be if the Old Republic were still canon. I desperately wish it is as it's brilliant Star Wars.  

It would be if the Old Republic were still canon. I desperately wish it is as it's brilliant Star Wars.  

One day.. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOLANti8UCY

One day.. =)

Crap....that reminds me. I have to log into SWTOR and get Shae Vizsla as a companion....and World of Warships for their Halloween event......and The Division to gear up for patch 1.4....

Too many games, not enough time.

One day.. =)

Crap....that reminds me. I have to log into SWTOR and get Shae Vizsla as a companion....and World of Warships for their Halloween event......and The Division to gear up for patch 1.4....

Too many games, not enough time.

And Helldivers; cause' it's Liberty Day!  :lol:

Except Mandalore is quoted as being pacifist. The Swiss most definitely are not.

Not wanting to get into wars =/= Pacifist. I think people don't understand what I'm saying. Being neutral is ok. As pointed out, the Swiss haven't been in a war for almost 200 years. But to be pacifist, without a military, and be neutral in a galactic conflict is saying, "Conquer me, conquer me!" (which indeed happened with Maul's Collective.

They have security forces for minor and internal matters and invasion wasn't really a risk when they established the pacifist goverment back before the Naboo Crisis. We're talking Obi-Wan's padawan years here.

In the Clone Wars they choose principle over practicality: they won't join the war because to them the war is wrong. They're protected from the Republic and CIS because 2000 neutral systems band together with Mandalore as their leader: conquer one of them and the other side gets 1999.

Doesn't protect them from a coup by an ex-Sith Lord and a Mandalorian army but that's the consequence for refusing to pick a side in a galactic war.

Apologies if i'm butchering your history (to any Swiss on here) but the reason the Swiss have been able to stay neutral is due to their historical military prowess and a well earned reputation for successfully repelling invaders from their lands. It was this reputation for being a fearsome adversary that made many neighbors second guess ever invading because of the high cost in life it would entail on their part. Lets also not forget the way Switzerland's terrain is, mountainous and when you look at world history it's very hard to conquer people who live in mountainous regions. Between both a reputation and unwelcoming terrain of course Switzerland can and have largely stayed neutral. Not only that but isnt mandatory military service a thing?

Mangalore is obtusely pacifistic. 

Mandalore is very flat and open so it's unsurprising they fell so quickly. A fleet of Star Destroyers could probably quickly subjugate them or at least keep the government and people trapped under their domes. 

Edited by Forresto

Apologies if i'm butchering your history (to any Swiss on here) but the reason the Swiss have been able to stay neutral is due to their historical military prowess and a well earned reputation for successfully repelling invaders from their lands. It was this reputation for being a fearsome adversary that made many neighbors second guess ever invading because of the high cost in life it would entail on their part. Lets also not forget the way Switzerland's terrain is, mountainous and when you look at world history it's very hard to conquer people who live in mountainous regions. Between both a reputation and unwelcoming terrain of course Switzerland can and have largely stayed neutral. Not only that but isnt mandatory military service a thing?

Mangalore is obtusely pacifistic. 

Mandalore is very flat and open so it's unsurprising they fell so quickly. A fleet of Star Destroyers could probably quickly subjugate them or at least keep the government and people trapped under their domes. 

In that Warefare book I linked to a few pages back (which was written before Legends was a thing and they still had to try make everything fit together) said that Mandalore used to be lush. 

But the Republic just glassed most of the planet with bombardments which was why Mandalore eventually gave in. So the planet is only that inhospitable wasteland because the Republic made it that way. 

It'll be interesting to see what the newcanon take on it is. Maybe in that, the Mandos, rather than the Republic, partially glassed the planet.

In Rebels, I think a point was made that the damage to Concord Dawn (it's only a partial sphere) was done by Mandos warring with one another.

Bumping this thread back to the front page out of spite for a comment made in another thread.

Also, I didn't know that the "Imperial Supercommandos" episode was going to be on a week delay. At least it gives me something to look forward to t his Friday.

Edited by Derpzilla88

Bumping this thread back to the front page out of spite for a comment made in another thread.

Also, I didn't know that the "Imperial Supercommandos" episode was going to be on a week delay. At least it gives me something to look forward to t his Friday.

What post? I seem to have missed this?

I had posted that the rebels thread had moved into the off topic, because this had fallen out of the front main page but there was a rebels thread in the off topic that I could see. It is in the thread about the main forum. It seems Derpzilla took exception and bumped the thread.