KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

...I guess but Tie Fighters were never good at anything but overwhelming numbers even in the old canon. Interceptor pilots were the tie fighter pilots that managed to survive long enough so of course they're the only real capable ones. 

So the 8 ties of Black Squadron who took on 30 rebels (mostly Xs) at the battle of Yavin, and left only one Y (and a damaged Wedge) alive at the end of the dogfight, they were utterly useless? :P ... oh well. I suppose Vader and the death-ball helped.

Haha Don't give me that  :lol:  Tie Fighters have always been crunchy as all heck in every book, movie, and video game. Especially in SW Armada. Don't forget the ones destoryed so easily by the falcon in ANH. Yes they weren't properly attacking but they weren't dodging very well either. 

Black Squadron is a unique example. I'm sure there are plenty of elite fighter wings and decent groups of Ties, but typically it's the interceptors and other Ties that are consistently good.   

Edited by Forresto

...I guess but Tie Fighters were never good at anything but overwhelming numbers even in the old canon. Interceptor pilots were the tie fighter pilots that managed to survive long enough so of course they're the only real capable ones. 

So the 8 ties of Black Squadron who took on 30 rebels (mostly Xs) at the battle of Yavin, and left only one Y (and a damaged Wedge) alive at the end of the dogfight, they were utterly useless? :P ... oh well. I suppose Vader and the death-ball helped.

Uhh... where you do get 8 TIEs? The Death Star carries what, at least 10 squadrons? The relevant line is Darth Vader saying, "Get the crews to their fighters." Kinda sounds like all of the fighters being scrambled... And the most Rebel snubs we ever see on screen at one time is the 16 from the initial Death Star approach, the only reason we know there's 30 of them is the flunky's line. If we're only relying on what we see, not what we know from other sources...

Only Vader's squadron launches; Black Squadron.

In the film we see 6 launch, then later Vader and his two wingmen.

I'll admit I can't remember a specific source but I believe one of the tech manuals and the novelisation of the film mention Black Squadron being under strength.

And wookipedia (for all that I admit it's not the most reliable source) seems to 100% agree with that interpretation in its 'Black Squadron' article.

I still just wanna see A-Wings DO something. Whenever an A-Wing in any media ever at all dies, in my family it's almost a reflex to say, "Oh, guess they were part of Phoenix Squadron" or even worse, when I get an A-Wing pickup in Battlefront or something my little brother says, "Oh no, not Phoenix Squadron!"

I remember this one episode with Sabine in an A-wing. Things were done then

The one in which Hera, Sabine and a redshirt are attacked by the Protectors, the redshirt goes down immediately, Hera almost dies and they inflict no loses?

Yeah, even Sabine can't help A-wings :P

EDIT Rewatched the scene, got some things wrong, there were three redshirts plus Hera and Sabine, two redshirts died (one survived... maybe, we see his jump but not his arrival :P ) and Hera actually managed to destroy one fang (!!! with an A-wing!!!)

They didn't even try to shoot at the Interceptors the first time around. Surely if you had a rapid firing quad turbolaser you would at least try tospray and pray if you had enemies flying straight at you and you couldn't possibly get a lock because your corvette's FCS can be jammed by a tiny TIE.

ECM does more in SW as well as ECCM than what it does in real life. The equipment they have not only interferes with photoelectrsopes, and every other light sensor used in sw, but it also disrupts Laser targeting.

If it can disrupt Laser targeting i think its reasonable to believe it can interfere with lasers in general.

Star Wars blasters, lasers and turbolasers aren't lasers at all, and disrupting laser targeting isn't that difficult, there are systems, like Russian Shtora, which can do that with 90ies level of technology.

Edited by eMeM

I still just wanna see A-Wings DO something. Whenever an A-Wing in any media ever at all dies, in my family it's almost a reflex to say, "Oh, guess they were part of Phoenix Squadron" or even worse, when I get an A-Wing pickup in Battlefront or something my little brother says, "Oh no, not Phoenix Squadron!"

I remember this one episode with Sabine in an A-wing. Things were done then.

But I do agree, it would be really nice to have an A-wing pilot (Not Hobbie or Wedge because they end up X-wing pilots eventually, and not part of the ghost crew) do something, like shoot down one of those nifty new TIE interceptors. Maybe it's time for Tycho or Jake? (why not both? this also sets up for Thrawn to call in Le Baron Soontir Fel.)

One does wonder, if Wedge and Hobbie are sticking around at all, what exactly they are going to be flying.

Are they going to drop them into A-Wings?

Does that mean...Wedge and Hobbie as A-Wing pilots?!

I could see Wedge as an A-Wing pilot - that knock on enemy agility will do wonders to help their puny little guns hit their targets.  Pair him with Test Pilot + Chardaan + Juke + PtL (because why not) and AT...yeah, that should land some hits.

Hell, even Hobbie would probably be a better A-Wing pilot than he was in his X-Wing - the ability to take two EPTs means his natural pairing with PtL doesn't cramp other EPTs that would work well for him.

>PS9 Wedge in trainer A-Wing with crew

PHOENIX ACES CONFIRMED.

Phoenix Squadron. Heh heh.

Cause... cause a phoenix.... and they keep dying.... and coming back...

It did occur to me during the episode that the Rebels went to great effort to steal a half dozen Y-Wings, but seem to have an endless supply of expendable A-Wings, since they were only worried about running out of pilots, and not running out of fighters to put them in.

That's really my biggest disappointment with Rebels. It turned the A-Wing into the Rebel Red Shirt. Instead of being the fast, maneuverable craft flown by elite pilots in the old games and lore, it's just the generic cannon fodder, usually being dispatched in multiples by whatever Big Baddie shows up this week, whether it be Vader, Mandalorian Pinwheels, or TIE Interceptors.

I'll ask. Was I the only one who didn't realize Sabine was the third pilot when the announcement trailer was released?

Most folks noticed it was the same 3d model.  A few of us pointed out that this didn't necessarily mean it was the same character - they do re-use models.  But it turns out that it was, so...

It did occur to me during the episode that the Rebels went to great effort to steal a half dozen Y-Wings, but seem to have an endless supply of expendable A-Wings, since they were only worried about running out of pilots, and not running out of fighters to put them in.

That's really my biggest disappointment with Rebels. It turned the A-Wing into the Rebel Red Shirt. Instead of being the fast, maneuverable craft flown by elite pilots in the old games and lore, it's just the generic cannon fodder, usually being dispatched in multiples by whatever Big Baddie shows up this week, whether it be Vader, Mandalorian Pinwheels, or TIE Interceptors.

Yeah, believe me. That bugs me quite a bit too. These things are basically more compact Z-95s.

Peculiar still is that the A-Wing was developed, in ye olde canon, as a counter to the TIE Interceptor, last I checked. What it lacked in firepower, it made up for in a smaller profile, shielding and considerable agility, allowing it to go toe to toe with Imperial fighters of a more advanced make, and still allow the common Rebel guerilla tactics.

So believe you me, the new canon A-Wing has me asking a lot of questions. I'm hella cool with its existence...

Not so much its execution that will only serve to continue to glorify the X-Wing as the greatest Rebel fighter ever.

Peculiar still is that the A-Wing was developed, in ye olde canon, as a counter to the TIE Interceptor, last I checked. What it lacked in firepower, it made up for in a smaller profile, shielding and considerable agility, allowing it to go toe to toe with Imperial fighters of a more advanced make, and still allow the common Rebel guerilla tactics.

I believe in the new canon when they no longer need their squadron of A-wings (anyone kept track of how many they've lost?) to be the grunt fighter they strip the armour and shields off to make them crazy fast, creating the old canon's A-wing.

I believe in the new canon when they no longer need their squadron of A-wings (anyone kept track of how many they've lost?) to be the grunt fighter they strip the armour and shields off to make them crazy fast, creating the old canon's A-wing.

They have shields and armor in Rebels?

In theory. But then, so did X-wings - and yet in ANH nearly every minor pilot hit by TIEs goes up in flames instantly. Wedge, Luke, and Red Leader seem to be unusual in not instantly exploding.

In theory. But then, so did X-wings - and yet in ANH nearly every minor pilot hit by TIEs goes up in flames instantly. Wedge, Luke, and Red Leader seem to be unusual in not instantly exploding.

You know, that's one thing Battlefront is consistent about, at least.

Well, they were instructed to switch their shields to 'double front' on approach to the Death Star.  Maybe only a few of the pilots thought to switch them back to 'balanced'.  3 hull with no shields behind 2 agility is not that difficult to one-shot at close (range 1) distance, even for a TIE Fighter...

I remember this one episode with Sabine in an A-wing. Things were done then.

But I do agree, it would be really nice to have an A-wing pilot (Not Hobbie or Wedge because they end up X-wing pilots eventually, and not part of the ghost crew) do something, like shoot down one of those nifty new TIE interceptors. Maybe it's time for Tycho or Jake? (why not both? this also sets up for Thrawn to call in Le Baron Soontir Fel.)

One does wonder, if Wedge and Hobbie are sticking around at all, what exactly they are going to be flying.

Are they going to drop them into A-Wings?

Does that mean...Wedge and Hobbie as A-Wing pilots?!

I could see Wedge as an A-Wing pilot - that knock on enemy agility will do wonders to help their puny little guns hit their targets.  Pair him with Test Pilot + Chardaan + Juke + PtL (because why not) and AT...yeah, that should land some hits.

Hell, even Hobbie would probably be a better A-Wing pilot than he was in his X-Wing - the ability to take two EPTs means his natural pairing with PtL doesn't cramp other EPTs that would work well for him.

Hobbie has no EPT, which means he would be freaking awesome in an A-Wing which gives him at least one ept, which is PTL. which removes his stress every turn for just his target lock. A target lock which could be provided from other sources and allows Wedge to still take juke. Wedge with Juke+PTL, Hobbie with PTL. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

Well, they were instructed to switch their shields to 'double front' on approach to the Death Star.  Maybe only a few of the pilots thought to switch them back to 'balanced'.  3 hull with no shields behind 2 agility is not that difficult to one-shot at close (range 1) distance, even for a TIE Fighter...

Gold Five specifically instructed Tiree and Dutch to stabilize the rear deflectors when the enemies were approaching, yet their Y-wings exploded after a single salvo just like any other ship.

The theory I've heard is that fighter shields are simply too weak to take a direct hit and their main purpose is to deflect skimming shots and protect from flak and near misses of the big guns. 

Gold Five specifically instructed Tiree and Dutch to stabilize the rear deflectors when the enemies were approaching, yet their Y-wings exploded after a single salvo just like any other ship.

The theory I've heard is that fighter shields are simply too weak to take a direct hit and their main purpose is to deflect skimming shots and protect from flak and near misses of the big guns.

I guess that explains why they always say "Direct hit!" When they nail a shielded fighter.

Yeah, believe me. That bugs me quite a bit too. These things are basically more compact Z-95s.

So believe you me, the new canon A-Wing has me asking a lot of questions. I'm hella cool with its existence...

Not so much its execution that will only serve to continue to glorify the X-Wing as the greatest Rebel fighter ever.

I checked the new canon, so here's the lowdown on the A-Wing from the new perspective. It works much the same as the old A-Wing except the refit works in reverse.

What the Rebels have is a Kuat mass-produced strike fighter with rockets, lasers, shields, and a hyperdrive: great for guerrilla tactics and individual cells. The problems are that TIEs are a little faster, have good if not better lasers, and are incredibly replaceable on the part of the Empire. The TIE-Ins compound these problems by being even faster than regular TIEs, and having better than average pilots.

What the refit does lore-wise is it strips away all unnecessary systems including much of the shields ,and later with the Chardaan the seldom-used rocket systems (the Rebels hardly ever have the ordinance to fill them) reducing weight, and boosting power to the engines resulting in the zippy fighter we know and love. The Phoenix factory-zero fighters haven't been "Rebelized" yet, and seldom survive long enough to see much customization.

I think the deflector shield theory is a good one. I'd say that the stronger your shields are, the harder you are to hit, and the less damage a hit does. The shields loose "stamina" after a prolonged fight allowing hits that would have missed before to hit their mark. 

Also there seems to be a difference between particle and ray deflector shields. Here's the full wiki canon for you to make of it as you will:

"Deflector shields, or simply shields, were energy fields that could protect starships, battle stations, ground-based structures, and even armies from enemy assault."

"Two varieties of deflector shields existed, with ray shields deflecting or scattering energy beams, and particle shields diffusing impacts from high-velocity projectiles and proton weapons. A third type of shield, a concussion shield, repelled space debris and other solid objects. Most starships utilized a combination of ray and particle shielding for maximum protection, while larger ships could require multiple projectors to fully protect the ship, with a shield's intensity gradually diminishing with distance from its projector. Some shields were one-way shields that only allowed a person to come in through the shield, but prevented passage back out through the shield."

"Some uses of deflector-shield technology include the Confederacy of Independent Systems' shield around its droid forces during the Battle of Christophsis, preventing the Grand Army of the Republic from attacking until the shield generator was destroyed. The Millennium Falcon, a light freighter, also had a deflector shield, while the Death Star II had a deflector shield powered by a deflector dish on the forest moon of Endor."

So in short, different shields do different things; and if you don't have a good Shield-DJ-Mechanic to mix up a blend for your ship, you could end up with a shielding system unsuited for your style of combat.

Was that a TIE Bomber or a TIE Shuttle?

They don't seem to be, in 'Rebels', distinct craft.  IE., a TIE Shuttle is simply a TIE Bomber that doesn't have a load of ordnance in it.

Hobbie was sitting at a sensor/comms array in the other pod, so my guess would be TIE Shuttle.

They specifically call it a bomber in the episode though. And the Episode gallery says they "make their getaway in a TIE bomber".

So Sabine is going to paint that one too? comming with Wedge and Hobbie crew?