KCDodger

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

I don't see any problem with the saw blade on the lightsaber handle. A lightsaber causes clean wounds that immediatly get cauterized, a crude saw blade does terrible and painfull things. Its not a better weapon, but it will cause a lot more terror when used to threaten or torture someone.

Oh thank god someone else said it.

I mean, we're not forgetting that these inquisitors are disciples of Sith ways, right? They may not exactly be Sith themselves but they are still disciples of such ways.

That is why they have these things.

I don't see any problem with the saw blade on the lightsaber handle. A lightsaber causes clean wounds that immediatly get cauterized, a crude saw blade does terrible and painfull things. Its not a better weapon, but it will cause a lot more terror when used to threaten or torture someone.

Oh thank god someone else said it.

I mean, we're not forgetting that these inquisitors are disciples of Sith ways, right? They may not exactly be Sith themselves but they are still disciples of such ways.

That is why they have these things.

I was thinking the exact same thing, terror weapon and messy.

Really, reverse grip does absolutely nothing for the user. It is only good for a brief stab behind yourself, which is still pretty unlikely.

Gives you no advantages over your opponent at all.

It's an almost weightless blade which means swordfighting knowledge probably doesn't carry over that well.

Really, reverse grip does absolutely nothing for the user. It is only good for a brief stab behind yourself, which is still pretty unlikely.

It's an almost weightless blade which means swordfighting knowledge probably doesn't carry over that well.

If you've ever even tried combat sparring with anything in your life, you'd find that for most people and 99% of the time, reverse grip sucks and has NOOOOOO benefits.  None. Zip.  

Also, you can't just "flick" to block with your fingers people.  For real.  The lightsaber blades still appear solid to each other, and thus transfer energy as a fulcrum.  Putting huge strain into your hand.  That would knock the blade from your finger grip even if a 9 year old was hitting you.  Forget Darth Vader... who uses the overbearing power form, form 5.  

If you've ever even tried combat sparring with anything in your life, you'd find that for most people and 99% of the time, reverse grip sucks and has NOOOOOO benefits.  None. Zip.  

Also, you can't just "flick" to block with your fingers people.  For real.  The lightsaber blades still appear solid to each other, and thus transfer energy as a fulcrum.  Putting huge strain into your hand.  That would knock the blade from your finger grip even if a 9 year old was hitting you.  Forget Darth Vader... who uses the overbearing power form, form 5.  

For Ahsoka, I've always attributed the reverse grip to her being an alien, it's possible that the bone structure, joints, and muscles of Togruta allow them greater leverage with the reverse grip than humans.

Just for the people saying reverse grip has NO use... That's also not quite true. There are more than a few historical fencing manuals which reference fighting with a dagger held down-hand usually paired with a sword. There are a number of theories as to why (armour penetration being one of the most popular ideas) I might also suggest that simply the broadening of attack options (as in there is stuff you can do with a downhanded knife which you cant with an uphanded when in a grapple) might make it worth it.... But they dont really carry over to full length lightsabers.

That final montage was amazing. Really solid second season for this show. It's miles ahead of where Clone Wars was at the same point, and if it shows the same increase in quality that that show did as it went on, boy are we in for something.

So that weird bird wasn't just some random close-up last week. We saw it again here. Wonder what the significance is.

In regards to the bird...

You've earwormed me! Sithspawn.. Edited by Brother Petius

Yea, reverse grip used by a Force User could be a very useful confusion tactic, using quick hands to switch how you're holding the blade and misleading your opponent. As a fire spinner, I've done tricks that switch a fire sword from reverse to standard grip in mid swing, not the easiest and probably terrifyingly risky in real combat, but possible.

Caught up with the episode this morning. Epic is all that I can say

I was to a point dreading this as I didn't want to see one of my favourite characters come to an end, but was relieved to see she may have survived (granted the writers have given wriggle room to seal her fate either way)

As for season 3? Big villains, surprise characters and stuff that will have gamers tearing their hair out (he he )

BRING IT ON!

So what? Still limits your reach, you must exert more force to actually swing, and you have far less leverage when locked with a foe.

The basic rules still apply, and the concept that Lightsabers have no mass is silly. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to copter around like that.

So what? Still limits your reach, you must exert more force to actually swing, and you have far less leverage when locked with a foe.

The basic rules still apply, and the concept that Lightsabers have no mass is silly. If they didn't, they wouldn't be able to copter around like that.

First of all, the Force.

Second if you actually read the posts and articles people were posting you'd see the reason. Reverse grip not only allows for quicker strikes and more varied attack angles while duel wielding but also lets you get in to extreme close quarters with a weapon whose blade would normally be much to long to do so, something that as you can see in the episode Ahsoka loves to do.

In short basically everything about Ahsoka's fighting style favors the use of a reverse or mixed grip.

Reverse grip is wonderful if you want to use long knives inside the reach of a swordsman. If you are half decent they are toast unless they can disengage and get back to fighting at their range. When I was learning to fight with sabre & dagger we did a technique where you passed your opponent's lunge, reversed your dagger and stabbed him in the leg. I'm pretty sure that'd work very well with Lightsabers too.

Ok so when it comes down to it, holding a saber whatever way doesn't matter. A reverse hold looks cool to 95% of people watching the show and 100% of kids watching. The Helisabers were awful to me, but just as I was about to say, "those are so stupid" my 5 years old, whispers in awe, "Awesome!" And as far as whether or not Ahsoka should have died, I'm in the camp that she should have and it should have been on screen saving her friends. The writers leaving her alive or whatever is a cop out. We all live Ahsoka. Kill her in a heroic way, like she deserves. Anyway so obviously different people like different things. One thing we can all agree on, was how amazing the banter between Ezra and Vader was! Vader's line "then you will die braver than most" was epic! My favorite part!

Reverse grip is wonderful if you want to use long knives inside the reach of a swordsman. If you are half decent they are toast unless they can disengage and get back to fighting at their range. When I was learning to fight with sabre & dagger we did a technique where you passed your opponent's lunge, reversed your dagger and stabbed him in the leg. I'm pretty sure that'd work very well with Lightsabers too.

Yup. In fact Ahsoka does exactly this several times when fighting Vader in this episode to get inside his guard.

And frankly, in knife fighting you STILL hold it regularly; reverse grip is dumb for all the same reasons. Real fighting knives are point weapons (or piercing if you play too much D&D3.5), where you use the shortened blade and greater leverage to press forward and go through your target.

I'm trying to think of when the reverse grip would actually come in handy (in lightsaber fights), and it may make slashes faster to do because instead of moving your whole arm to make a slash it's just forearm and wrist action; and since the 'blade' has just the weight of the handle if you need to block or stab you can just twirl it in your fingers. Ahsoka does that several times in the course of that fight.

Lightsabers are probably better as slashing rather than stabbing, because poking a hole may not be large enough to put someone down unless you hit something immediately vital, whereas a slash could remove a limb or torso, as Darth Maul found out.

Seriously, try it right now at your desk! pretend you're holding a lightsaber and wave it like you're cutting someone Ahsoka-style than Vader style. Lot faster and less motion involved with Ahsoka-style.

Somewhere in old cannon im fairly sure it was said that 90% of lightsaber fights are all about de-limbing someone. Hands and arms being lost was common place.

As for what happened when the temple exploded, I believe Vader shielded Ahsoka from the blast that's way she walks away unhurt and Vader is limping.  Starting her down the dark path, but Palpatine catches wind that Vader may have an apprentice and kills.  Creating more anomosity between the Emperorr and Vader.

Ok so when it comes down to it, holding a saber whatever way doesn't matter. A reverse hold looks cool to 95% of people watching the show and 100% of kids watching. The Helisabers were awful to me, but just as I was about to say, "those are so stupid" my 5 years old, whispers in awe, "Awesome!"

This is why the Helisabers are in there: get the next generation of kids excited for Star Wars. I totally ok with that, and I'm glad your five year old loved it!

As for what happened when the temple exploded, I believe Vader shielded Ahsoka from the blast that's way she walks away unhurt and Vader is limping.  Starting her down the dark path, but Palpatine catches wind that Vader may have an apprentice and kills.  Creating more anomosity between the Emperorr and Vader.

I much, much prefer the comic version, where Vader finds out about Luke and that Palpatine lied about it, being the beginnings of his plans to turn on Palpatine. 

And watching the ending again, I'm not exactly sure Ahsoka was uninjured.