Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion thread

8,414 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Wiredin said:

yea, that was awesome!

I'm wondering what the next animated project they are doing is going to focus on/be about. I'm still holding out for a Red/Rogue/Black squadron story..... think Exo-Squad but with X-Wings. thats what I want!

I love, love, loved Exo squad as a kid! I would like any Exo squad inspired Star Wars animation.

Moneyinvolved likes this

1 hour ago, Ghost XV15 said:

Am I the only one that thought that the Wolf was just a Space-Wolf? :D 

No. Making Ashoka a wolf would have been the stupidest direction they could have taken that story. I just didn't want to argue about it until it was confirmed. Seriously, since when have jedi come back as animals?

I'm glad the wolf is a wolf and Ashoka is Ashoka. 

Ghost XV15 likes this

Im really on board with Benicio Del Toro potentially playing older Ezra in the Last Jedi. I am totally fine if Ezra survives only to become a sortve cynical, self serving, but still inherently honorable Talon Kaarde esque character. That would give him a lot of depth he's sorely missing. It would also make Ezra's tangles with falling to the dark side in Rebels seem less like fake drama and tension.

My core problem with Ezra is that he's a trope. He's a highly capable smart-*** orphan. Now there's nothing wrong with tropes in the slightest when done right or in a surprising way but theres nothing unique or fascinating about Ezra to me. Im dying to know more about the rest of the Ghost crew but I feel no stakes with Ezra, he just always wins even when he loses. I will admit he's improved a lot as a character but he still could be taken to that next level.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:09 AM, Bojanglez said:

Yup. big fan.

I mean, I don't want to disparage attempts to build affordable housing, but the main reason he's doing this is to make the rich a-holes of the valley drop their monocles in shock (or the 21st century equivalent; diamond-studded iPhones?) because they spent twenty years preventing him from building a studio.

Of course, pissing off rich a-holes is a good enough reason to do ANYTHING.... :D

On 6/1/2017 at 8:43 AM, Forresto said:

The Clone Wars has one, although arguably as a show it has plenty more middling episodes then Rebels, but I was thinking we need a list of definitive episodes for Rebels. I'm sure its exists out there somewhere in the depths of the internet. 

Please other Rebels fans, if you disagree with a choice let me know cause I think it'd be cool to get a sort've definitive list.

NOTE: THIS IS ABOUT STORY NOT QUALITY. (sorry for all caps :P)

Green = Must Watch

Orange = Could Watch (Skippable and you'll still understand the main story but I think adds enough to the main arc to watch if you have the time)

Red = Can Skip

**= Thrawn's In Episode

Season One:

Reveal hidden contents

101 & 102 Spark of Rebellion

103 Droids in Distress 

104 Fighter Flight

105 Rise of the Old Masters

106 Breaking Ranks

107 Out of Darkness

108 Empire Day

109 Gathering Forces 

110 Path of the Jedi

111 Idiot's Array

112 Vision of Hope

113 Call to Action

114 Rebel Resolve

115 Fire Across the Galaxy

Season 2

Hide contents

201 & 202 The Siege of Lothal

203 The Lost Commanders

204 Relics of the Old Republic

205 Always Two There Are

206 Brothers of the Broken Horn

207 Wings of the Master

208 Blood Sisters 

209 Stealth Strike

210 The Future of the Force

211 Legacy 

212 A Princess on Lothal

213 The Protector of the Concord Dawn

214 Legends of the Lasat

215 The Call

216 Homecoming

217 The Honorable Ones

218 Shroud of Darkness

219 The Forgotten Droid

220 The Mystery of Chopper Base

221 & 222 Twilight of the Apprentice

Season 3

Reveal hidden contents

301 & 302 Steps Into Shadow **

303 The Holocrons of Fate

304 The Antilles Extraction 

305 Hera's Heroes **

306 The Last Battle

307 Imperial Super Commandos

308 Iron Squadron **

309 The Wynkathu Job

310 An Inside Man **

311 Visions and Voices

312 & 313 Ghosts of Geonosis

314 Warhead **

315 Trials of the Darksaber

316 Legacy of Mandalore

317 Through Imperial Eyes **

318 Secret Cargo **

319 Double Agent Droid 

320 Twin Suns

321 & 322 Zero Hour **

It feels like your choices are more about "does the episode focus more on character development or plotline?" Both are vital IMHO, and even most of the 'character development' episodes don't have wasted space in them (Fighter Flight is them getting the TIE for the season finale after all!) About the only one I'd almost agree with clipping is Droids in Distress. It's just too gratuitous and forced. "Well, this is Star Wars so Threepio and R2 have to be in there at SOME point!" But even that shows Director Tua at her smugliest Imperial Overlord to contrast with the much later change of heart.

Unlike Clone Wars, which had a TON of wasted space (middle episodes of Umbara arc, ugh), Rebels does feel quite tight in storytelling. Some episodes might go heavier on the plot, some might go heavier on the development, but all the episodes include at least a LITTLE of both.

1 hour ago, iamfanboy said:

Unlike Clone Wars, which had a TON of wasted space (middle episodes of Umbara arc, ugh), Rebels does feel quite tight in storytelling. Some episodes might go heavier on the plot, some might go heavier on the development, but all the episodes include at least a LITTLE of both.

Later on TCW did that thing where EVERYTHING had to be a 4 episode arc, whether it warranted it or not.  As if they were specifically trying to make movie-length stories out of everything.

Conversely, 1 episode often doesn't feel long enough in Rebels for some of the stories it tells.

2 episodes really feels like the sweet spot for a good story.

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Later on TCW did that thing where EVERYTHING had to be a 4 episode arc, whether it warranted it or not.  As if they were specifically trying to make movie-length stories out of everything.

Conversely, 1 episode often doesn't feel long enough in Rebels for some of the stories it tells.

2 episodes really feels like the sweet spot for a good story.

It's a double edged sword though and I think they did a fine job. 

If every episode/arc was stretched into two it would have some problems, lord knows I didn't want an "Iron Squadron Part Two"

JJFDVORAK likes this

On 2017-06-15 at 10:30 PM, FlyingAnchors said:

No. Making Ashoka a wolf would have been the stupidest direction they could have taken that story. I just didn't want to argue about it until it was confirmed. Seriously, since when have jedi come back as animals?

I'm glad the wolf is a wolf and Ashoka is Ashoka. 

I disagree about it being the stupidist idea - the idea of reincarnation from some Eastern mythologies is interesting.   Now if she showed up and said, "Hey guys, I'm a wolf now!" That would be stupid, but a subtle familiarity and hint about the nature of the idea of ones essence existing and being reborn in the force?  Not too bad.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
Spelling

33 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I disagree about it being the stupidist idea - the idea of reincarnation from some Eastern mythologies is interesting.

Sure, it's just not a very interesting idea for Star Wars, where Force ghosts are a thing.

FlyingAnchors likes this

8 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

I mean, I don't want to disparage attempts to build affordable housing, but the main reason he's doing this is to make the rich a-holes of the valley drop their monocles in shock (or the 21st century equivalent; diamond-studded iPhones?) because they spent twenty years preventing him from building a studio.

Of course, pissing off rich a-holes is a good enough reason to do ANYTHING.... :D

That is exactly what it is. Lucas is perhaps trying to disguise it as an act of philanthropy. 
But what he is doing using an extortion tactic, as old as real estate market.

His neighbors didn't want him to build an industrial complex near their residences?
Sure, then he will build a slum that will attract crime and lowlifes, that will plummet the value of the neighborhood and will make his neighbors move away.

Once their residences are empty and worth a fraction of their current value, he will buy them and build his industrial complex as he pleases.

If you all think Lucas is a "cool guy" you haven't heard enough tales of people that have worked with him. It was his way or the highway.
He had all right to be like that, since he was the absolute boss and the one putting the money. But that doesn't make him a "cool guy".

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Sure, it's just not a very interesting idea for Star Wars, where Force ghosts are a thing.

I disagree.   Anything that offers varying force centric mythology, from a non binary light/dark viewpoint  is potentially interesting.   

But I find learning about mythologies interesting in the real world.

11 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I disagree.   Anything that offers varying force centric mythology, from a non binary light/dark viewpoint  is potentially interesting.   

But I find learning about mythologies interesting in the real world.

Except when the variations critically impact the already established story. If force ghosts could possess animals, where was Obi-wan during the Wampa/Rancor attack? Or Qui-gon and at the Geonosis arena? If there's going to be change to the lore, it needs to fit within the already established rules of the universe, not be different for the sake of being different. Then it's not really star wars, it's something else entirely. 

I could see another sect of force sensitive beings perhaps control the force to this aspect, but it's solidly established this is not on the power-up list for Jedi, Grey Jedi, or sith. At least at this present time. Who knows what secrets luke found at the first jedi temple?

DarthEnderX and JJFDVORAK like this

13 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Except when the variations critically impact the already established story. If force ghosts could possess animals, where was Obi-wan during the Wampa/Rancor attack? Or Qui-gon and at the Geonosis arena? If there's going to be change to the lore, it needs to fit within the already established rules of the universe, not be different for the sake of being different. Then it's not really star wars, it's something else entirely. 

I could see another sect of force sensitive beings perhaps control the force to this aspect, but it's solidly established this is not on the power-up list for Jedi, Grey Jedi, or sith. At least at this present time. Who knows what secrets luke found at the first jedi temple?

It seems you are misconstruing the idea of reincarnation as being the same person in another body, with all their thoughts and memories intact, that is not what I reference - instead the intangible concept of a soul being given new life.   In many religions, the idea o reincarnation is the soul being reborn/remade in "lesser" forms such as an animal, until it can reach a state of perfection - or nothingness.  The ideas can be very similar.  Were it to be the case of the wolf, it wouldn't be Ahsoka - her memories, thoughts, everything that made her her, would be gone.  But on a spiritual level, her soul being reborn could allow a connection we see Kanan having, or at least it being implied, in the trailer.

This concept does not invalidate any idea from the movies about the nature if the force - in fact, it serves to give some moral ambiguity to Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Qui-gon.  That their crusade against the Sith leads them to break themselves out of the cycle that the force sets out.  

Never once did I imply that Ahsoka would be intact in who she once was.   Neither the idea that she or any force ghost would possess anyone or anything.

As to if the wolf was Ahsoka - while not being a Jedi practice, who knows what secrets could be found in a Sith temple.  Or, who is to say that such a transistion could be discovered on ones own?   We have seen that there is more to the force than what the Jedi and Sith practice - The Whole Mortis arc of clone wars, and the final Episodes with Yoda show that there is plenty of room for a change or expanding concept of the spirituality of the Force without invalidating.

So..   Ahsoka may not be the wolf, as Ahsoka could be dead.  But her soul could be reborn.  Or maybe she is influencing the wolf from afar.  Who knows? 

Ktan likes this