Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

4 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I would prefer it if a rewritten version of the events of the Thrawn trilogy take place some time after RotJ and before the Empire's final surrender at Jakku.

That'd be tough to do considering it's only a year and a half between RotJ and the Battle of Jakku/Empire's surrender.

Tough, but not impossible. Would post-Jakku work better given there's more timeline space for those events to happen?

Edited by Derpzilla88

4 hours ago, KryatDragon said:

Wait... you mean someone read an Aftermath book after the first one? (Third Person Present Tense is a literary abomination.)

I read them in German and since German Grammar is quite different from the English one, I had no problem reading them (They are also about double the thickness) but that also means that I personally did not read the last Book, but since SW Explained didn't mentioned it, I assume Thrawn is not there. 

I still recommend them, I found them very compelling story wise (and if you can read them in another Language, they should be totally fine)

2 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

That'd be tough to do considering it's only a year and a half between RotJ and the Battle of Jakku/Empire's surrender.

Tough, but not impossible. Would post-Jakku work better given there's more timeline space for those events to happen?

I would love more time to have past between Endor and Jakku. I year is ridiculously short for a galaxy wide Empire to collapse. The old EU had it taking decades, which was also a bit extreme in the other direction, but a few years to 1 decade would have been appropriate and allowed for all kinds of cool stories. If we have to get more Empire folding stories after Jakku and leading up to the formation of the First Order, I'm cool with it. 

Edited by JJFDVORAK

3 minutes ago, JJFDVORAK said:

I would love more time to have past between Endor and Jakku. I year is ridiculously short for a galaxy wide Empire to collapse. The old EU had it taking decades, which was also a bit extreme in the other direction, but a few years to 1 decade would have been appropriate and allowed for all kinds of cool stories. If we have to get more Empire folding stories after Jakku and leading up to the formation of the First Order, I'm cool with it. 

I think the battle of Jakku does not exclude the odd Ex-Imperial Warlord or three, with thrawn fitting neatly into a timeline that shows his attacks about a year or so after Jakku.  

A year really is a long time.  

Also, and this is a bit of a spoiler...

... The Emperor had a contigency for if he should die, that the Empire effectively self-destruct.  

The cliff notes version - the most desirable and capable imperials left for the unknown region and became the First Order.  The rest were to represent the empire dying, in utter defeat, so the first order could rebuild.

The empire was defeated just as much as it was self-destructing in a grand charade.

4 hours ago, Derpzilla88 said:

Oh, I never read Aftermath so I assumed Jakku happened way later.

It only took a year for the Empire to fold?  What the hell?

7 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

A year really is a long time.  

On the scale of galaxies and empires, it's really not.

But your explanation that it happened that way by design makes it make more sense.

Edited by DarthEnderX

On 4/19/2017 at 2:20 AM, Major Tom said:

But Bail knows who he is guarding, and if Kanan and Ezra are (known by the Rebelion to be) alive is it really worth playing that card to try and grab the Death Star plans?  IIRC that conversation is before they are told that Jyn has gone off reservation with a bunch of their top Spec Ops people.

Firstly, let me say that I hope Kanan and Ezra are either dead or by some means forced out of the main Civil War narrative. I suspect its more likely that Disney would have the courage to show them killed than to show them utterly and completely broken in spirit, so death is both more likely and I think it offers more satisfying ends for their story.  Let their deaths be heroic and meaningful, but let them die.

That being said, Bail's choice to send Leia to get Obi-wan may have been at least in part ABOUT who he was guarding; Leia's twin brother.  We don't get a lot of the planning and conspiring between Yoda, Obi-wan and Bail in Ep. III, but maybe the buildup in Rogue One was exactly what Bail thought they'd all meant years prior when they were talking about going into hiding until the time is right.  Clearly Leia was ready. Maybe Bail assumed that meant it was also time for the son of Padme and Anakin to join in the battle, coming with his guard and guide, General Kenobi.

17 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Oh, I never read Aftermath so I assumed Jakku happened way later.

It only took a year for the Empire to fold?  What the hell?

On the scale of galaxies and empires, it's really not.

But your explanation that it happened that way by design makes it make more sense.

Yeah how quickly the empire fell used to seriously bother me as well. I still think they should have put Jakku at lesst three years after Endor but I imagine that final year was extremely bloody and vicious. Now however im totally fine with what theyve given us. I dont know if you care about spoilers for the Aftermath series so just in case...

I kindve really enjoy the fact the Empire's downfall is a machination of Palpatine's "if I go down all you suckers go with me". I think its fascinating the de facto leader of the Empire after Palpatine, Gallius Rax, along with several other top brass were working efficiently at pulling the government down around them.

I like to think that with the destruction of both Death Star's, the excutor and other SSDs soon after Endor decimated the overall Imperial command structure. Im that sense since Rax was pretending to be pro Imperial longevity there wasnt enough of a centralized command group to realize and counteract Rax's faction in time.

As they say in the book Jakku wouldve been most likely an Imperial victory if Rax had left Sloane in charge rather then betray her.

Edited by Forresto

4 hours ago, Forresto said:

Yeah how quickly the empire fell used to seriously bother me as well. I still think they should have put Jakku at lesst three years after Endor but I imagine that final year was extremely bloody and vicious. Now however im totally fine with what theyve given us. I dont know if you care about spoilers for the Aftermath series so just in case...

Hide contents

I kindve really enjoy the fact the Empire's downfall is a machination of Palpatine's "if I go down all you suckers go with me". I think its fascinating the de facto leader of the Empire after Palpatine, Gallius Rax, along with several other top brass were working efficiently at pulling the government down around them.

I like to think that with the destruction of both Death Star's, the excutor and other SSDs soon after Endor decimated the overall Imperial command structure. Im that sense since Rax was pretending to be pro Imperial longevity there wasnt enough of a centralized command group to realize and counteract Rax's faction in time.

As they say in the book Jakku wouldve been most likely an Imperial victory if Rax had left Sloane in charge rather then betray her.

Two notable battles in the Aftermaths lasted weeks each. 

Battle of Kuat was a major blow to the Imperial Navy with the surrender of the world and the shipyards by the Imperial Governor and Guild Head...after WEEKS of fighting in which the IN lost more ships than the NR did.

Battle of Jakku,  the fighting continued for weeks after the death of Rax in that space battle over it.

Yeah, I think the holoprojector Royal Guards, as seen in Shattered Empire and soon in Battlefront 2, were all about just causing more destruction. I think having a lot of your military turned toward razing efforts will not work well toward a continuing government. 

Reading the new Thrawn novel has completely changed my view of this last season of rebels.

Governor Pryce is a horrible, evil human being that deserves whatever happens to her for her failure at Antollon. The book makes me love that the rebels made her a fool by blowing up the second interdictor. Considering how she treated Thrawn towards the book's end I have a feeling the hammer is coming down on her.

Furthermore Thrawn is actually a pretty decent person who in this iteration wishes to minimize casualties as much as possible. Thats why he takes command of the seventh fleet, to ensure a bloodthirsty Imperial Admiral doesnt get a hold of six star destroyers capable of killing millions.

Thrawn is also shown as only fighting for the Empire to subvert its tyranny in the long run and to ensure the galaxy can fight a more evil foe then the Empire which is fascinating. If Thrawn is to be killed I would love the conversation he had with Nightswan that describes the above, happen with Hera just before his end. Then we get a story from the sequel trilogy where Hera realizes what Thrawn was trying to do the entire time.

Edited by Forresto

5 hours ago, Forresto said:

Hide contents

Thrawn is also shown as only fighting for the Empire to subvert its tyranny in the long run and to ensure the galaxy can fight a more evil foe then the Empire which is fascinating.

Is it within the realm of possibility Thrawn reveals this to Ezra and Kanan and they go into uncharted territories to fight this more evil foe together? This neatly removes them from the equation at the beginning of Episode 4 without actually killing them off.

Edited by wfain

9 minutes ago, wfain said:

Is it within the realm of possibility Thrawn reveals this to Ezra and Kanan and they go into uncharted territories to fight this more evil foe together? This neatly removes them from the equation at the beginning of Episode 4 without actually killing them off.

Based off the Thrawn novel and if rebels the show follows the book at all, I would say that's absolutely within the realms of possibility.

I dont think that will happen unless we get some serious interaction between Thrawn and main cast. I certainly hope so and I would love your suggestion to be the resolution of those characters but im unsure whether in the episode we have if there will be enough time.

Edited by Forresto

7 hours ago, Forresto said:

Hide contents

Thrawn is also shown as only fighting for the Empire to subvert its tyranny in the long run and to ensure the galaxy can fight a more evil foe then the Empire which is fascinating.

That's what I thought last time.  Then it turned out to be the Vong, and it was awful.

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

That's what I thought last time.  Then it turned out to be the Vong, and it was awful.

And now we're just back to the troubling theory that Snoke is in some way the new version of the Vong. The dark evil thing from beyond, it's existence only known by a select few senior imperials. And when the full evil of its nature is revealed both the imperial remnant and the new republic will have to put aside their differences and unite... Explaining why they went with the dual protagonist concept of Rey and Kybo Chen... Er no... The other one... 

Snoke's bioship army arrives. Kylo and Rey bond, building a new balanced order of knights. .... And that chap who keeps asking for Vong in XWing gets his wish :D

Edit: sending the heroes off into the unknown to fight a mysterious threat is very much a trope I do like in Star Wars. It worked great for KotOR, adds the sort of epic mystery real mythologies are full of... But it falls flat on its face if we ever see what the mysterious evil was. 

So it's an ending for Ezra &/or Kanan I would very much support.

Edited by Arterial Spray

When it comes to Clone Wars vs Rebels, I find they have a lot of similarities and differences, while both being enjoyable in their own ways.  They definitely both have their share of episodes that range from amazing to mediocre.  Both shows got better as they went on, with the first seasons of both definitely being the weakest.  In terms of one being more "kiddy" or more "mature" than the other, I've seen arguments both ways, and not sure where I'd side on it.  They are both more mature than most kids cartoon shows though that's for sure.

That being said, I do prefer Clone Wars over Rebels for several reason.

1) The production values were much higher on Clone Wars which mean you can have large scale battles on a regular basis, and the animation in general was higher quality.

2) While both shows featured very stylized animation, I found clone wars easier to get used to as it was mainly the characters that were stylized, whereas for rebels the vehicles are as well, and some of them, especially the tie fighters, really don't look right.

3) I liked how clone wars was able to tell a variety of stories because they weren't focused on just the core group of characters pretty much allt he time like rebels.  Some episodes focused solely on clones and/or other jedi, some featured political characters mostly like padme/bail/palpatine/etc, and so on.

4) I found in general the original characters on CW much more interesting than Rebels.  It shows something when several of my favorites (as well as many other fans) made it onto rebels like Ahsoka, Rex, and Hondo.

5) To add to #4, there were SO many original characters added on CW that were great, whereas other than the main crew on rebels there haven't been a lot of other original characters that have really stood out.

But again this is all just my opinion.

I dont hate the Clone Wars by any means but I wont forget how they butchered Grievous. It makes it very hard for me to enjoy much of the show. As far as im concerned the 2D version and the film are his only canonical appearences. 

What irritates me is they not only nuked his incredible backstory but they couldnt be bothered to fix his character and revitalize his awesomeness. What Savage Opress and eventually Maul did was essentially what I always wanted for the general so im annoyed they went out of their way to introduce new characters to usurp his role.

At least they have handled Thrawn impeccably.

6 hours ago, markcsoul said:

[...]
That being said, I do prefer Clone Wars over Rebels for several reason.
[...]

But again this is all just my opinion.

I can respect that and I like that you actually compared the shows 
As for me Point 2-5 are thing I dislike about CW, especially Characters, with the few exceptions (Like Forresto said, Grievous makes me especially salty) 
I also like the more intimate feel a limited cast has and lets you explore the varying moralities with the same group, except having to rely on other characters to explore those areas.

Edited by Ghost XV15

TCW Grievous is consistent with the movie Grievous, unlike the one from tge 2D cartoon which seems to be based only on the concept art.

Also everything in the 2D cartoon was very obviously exaggerated and over the top, I don't understand how anyone could look at the events from that show and conclude that this depiction of the events must be the closest to the truth.