Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

The franchise has always struggled with how special Luke should really be.  His uniqueness is certainly some of the appeal of the franchise but its also extremely limiting to extended storytelling.  There's probably no place this is more obvious than in SW: Galaxies.  I think if the prequels were a stronger setting that people could invest in the conflict would have been greatly eased.

30 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

The franchise has always struggled with how special Luke should really be.  His uniqueness is certainly some of the appeal of the franchise but its also extremely limiting to extended storytelling.  There's probably no place this is more obvious than in SW: Galaxies.  I think if the prequels were a stronger setting that people could invest in the conflict would have been greatly eased.

If Vader was the chosen one then Luke being his son set this in motion.  If Vader isn't the chosen one then surely Luke it.  Struggling or not Luke is a very key figure in the franchise and story like.

Well there is always the option to have the show end on a good note and then will have the characters killed off if they need to in a book or comic miniseries. That way they can have the happy ending for the kids watching the show and can remove those characters from the board if they had to. Now whether they will or not we can only find out this fall and next spring. 

It could also be the the rebel leadership let Wedge and Leia think Kanan and Ezra are dead but the are moved to a different rebel cell and kept secret from the OT characters as a contingency if the cell the OT characters are part of gets destroyed.

15 hours ago, Major Tom said:

Also worth noting if Kanan and Ezra are known to be alive by the Rebelion Bail sending Leia to find Obi Wan in Rogue One becomes a slightly odd decision.  Sure, he's a Jedi Master, but they have two young Jedi(ish) with recent combat experience against the Empire to hand.  Also, I really wouldn't bet against them having the corrage to kill off the pair of them.  Fives was a major character on the Clone Wars who we followed from training through to being up there with Rex and Codey.  They still killed him off in pretty brutal fashion.

TCW was on Cartoon Network, which is less strict and aimed at older kids.

(even then, according to Pablo Hidalgo, TCW completely missed the target audience)

1 hour ago, Wretch said:

It could also be the the rebel leadership let Wedge and Leia think Kanan and Ezra are dead but the are moved to a different rebel cell and kept secret from the OT characters as a contingency if the cell the OT characters are part of gets destroyed.

Unlikely, because Luke was famous for being "some sort of Jedi" after Ep 4, so Ezra and Kanan would take the Risk of contacting him.

7 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

See here's the problem again with telling stories that are supposed to fit into the overall saga but are contradictory. 

Concocting all this nonsense about two characters so they "fit" is bad story telling IMHO. 

No, it's called collective storytelling, and you might want to ask for a raincheck on the salt until you see what Star Wars Rebels actually does with Ezra and Kanan. All we've got is speculation, and you're winding yourself over it - or failing to troll properly.

A created world does not belong solely to the person who first created it, these days - maybe Lucas was the sole voice at one point on Star Wars (doubtful if the rumors about how Luke Starkiller was supposed to be 40 and C-3P0 was supposed to be a smarmy car salesman are true), but now it belongs to each author who adds something to it. It's the job of the editors to maintain quality control, to make sure that contradictions are few and far between - if they exist at all.

The problem with the Star Wars Extended Universe is that there was NO quality control. One person might add Thrawn or Darth Revan or Kyle Katarn, but another writer adds wyrwolves and Suncrushers and Skippy the Jedi Droid and Mofferences or whatever it was that splurped out of Traviss. For every good thing in the EU, there were five bad.

The current Star Wars has a directorial vision. It has an idea of where it's going, where it came from, what it wants to say, and how it wants to say it - it doesn't want to get all grimdark or serious, it knows it's a story about space wizards with laser swords meant for all ages. That means ideas for the adults to think about while the children look at the ships go zooooom and BOOM!

The idea that the Jedi and the Sith are both out of balance, and that a new compromise needs to be found - neither Dark or Light, but Grey - is very intelligent, and harkens back to the Taoism that Lucas half-assedly stole from for his original concept. It's also an insightful message for modern times, and one that needs to be screamed out loud until all the SJWs and MRAs and Republicans and Democrats and racists and nationalists and other people who want life to be Dark and Light with themselves and only themselves on the side of Light and everyone else who dares to disagree being on the side of Dark realize that's the most ridiculous shitheaded way of viewing the universe.

That kind of viewpoint creates Palpatines, and I frankly prefer my Dark Lords in fiction.

Edited by iamfanboy

19 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

s or whatever it was that splurped out of Traviss.

And you lost me...

I don't think anyone here is arguing against a more grey portrayal of the force. I for one have been pushing for this for a very long time not just with the force users but the universe as a whole. Imperials who wipe out species but also help out orphans. Characters that have both a potential for great evil and great charity and benevolence. Or for a better portrayal of the bystander effect where most of the galaxy just doesnt really care to fight the empire as long as their death stars aren't blowing up their planet.

As for rebels my problem with it is that it barely shows the sacrifice necessary to fight and beat fascism and I think that's a dangerous lesson to teach kids. Our characters have had it so easy compared to real life freedom fighters and those fighting against injustice for freedom and equality. I'm not talking we get Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan where people are shown getting their heads blown off left and right or being tortured, I mean showing genuine struggle and constant defeat. You know what would have been really effective to show kids, how perseverance and conviction can pull through in the end over an oppressive evil regime. You may die, the risks are high, but you fight on because its what you're morally obliged to do. To stand up for others begin beaten down. 

I could see kids coming out of this show trying to effect real life change and getting super frustrated it doesnt come easily. 

Edited by Forresto

4 minutes ago, Sir Orrin said:

So does Ruhk making an appearence mean Thrawn is destined to die in the series? I have a feeling no, and I certainly hope not.

I think its a red herring and a very good one at that.:) We won't know till the end of the series but I doubt that from a merchandising point they would kill Thrawn so soon into his reintroduction into the canon. If they kill him I do at least hope that its so artistically done! :P

However it annoys me that i'm more concerned for the bad guy's well being then the protagonists. 

12 minutes ago, Sir Orrin said:

So does Ruhk making an appearence mean Thrawn is destined to die in the series? I have a feeling no, and I certainly hope not.

I'm also hoping not, but I fear that it is.

Unless they are setting things up to do Heir to the Empire later as some separate work(hope springs eternal), I can't see any other reason to introduce Ruhk as a character unless it's to play the same part he did in the EU.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Thrawn will not die to Ruhk.   That's just a tease to make you THINK he's going to die to Ruhk.  

Thrawn is likely commanding the Eclipse after ROTJ - as a founding member of the first order.   Weather or not he's still alive during the prequel sequel trilogy remains to be seen.  

Edited by Crabbok

1 minute ago, Crabbok said:

Thrawn will not die to Ruhk.   That's just a tease to make you THINK he's going to die to Ruhk.  

Thrawn is likely commanding the Eclipse after ROTJ - as a founding member of the first order.   Weather or not he's still alive during the sequel trilogy remains to be seen.  

There, fixed it. ;) Would be interesting if Thrawn helped found the First Order, especially if he appeared in EA Battlefront 2. 

11 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Thrawn is likely commanding the Eclipse after ROTJ - as a founding member of the first order.   Weather or not he's still alive during the prequel sequel trilogy remains to be seen.  

I would prefer it if a rewritten version of the events of the Thrawn trilogy take place some time after RotJ and before the Empire's final surrender at Jakku.

11 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I would prefer it if a rewritten version of the events of the Thrawn trilogy take place some time after RotJ and before the Empire's final surrender at Jakku.

Why not have Thrawn die at Jakku?  Is there already too much lore built into that battle?  If it is still up for grabs, you could have Thrawn bait the New Rebelpublic into attacking there but his death causes the plan to fall apart and the Empire loses catastrophically.

Just now, gamblertuba said:

Why not have Thrawn die at Jakku?  Is there already too much lore built into that battle?

That's what I assumed, but if not that would certainly be fine with me.  Replace the Battle of Bilbringi with Jakku?

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Jakku took place roughly a year after Endor. The Aftermath novels already covered that period.

A note of interest: several months after Endor, the New Republic struck the world of Kuat and the shipyards there. The battle lasted for weeks until the Imperial Governor and Guild Head surrendered. Imperial lost more ships than the alliance did during the fight. Weeks long battle...whew.

On 4/19/2017 at 11:40 AM, LunarSol said:

I got it!

Team defeats Thrawn, saves Lothal, everyone lives.

Kannan: "Great work, Ezra, let me buy you a drink"
"ERRRNIGIFFR"
"He doesn't like you"
"What?"
*Blaster Fire*
*Fade to Black*

It occurs to me this is much better if you add:

"I have the death sentence on eleven systems"