Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

One solution to the Rebels ISD debate that might work - simply say that all references to "ISD-I" in Rebels tie-in media should read ISD-II.

That just leaves the tractor beam array to explain - as a refit or later model variation, between Rebels and TESB. It's a lot easier to imagine one ship component changing, than a whole bunch of components. Something like:

"a new model of targeting array was developed by KDY, and proved to be so much better than the standard array, that all ISD-Is and ISD-IIs were refitted with updated arrays"

This also handily explains why the ISD-Is in TESB, while present (seen flanking the Executor as it arrives at Hoth), do have slightly different arrays.

Could be.

Or over the nineteen year design span of the ISD-I there have been refinments and alterations made in various shipyards that other ISD-Is dont get refitted for. Why would they refit if the changes were minor as there hasnt been and won't be any significant inter galactic threat to the Empire until Scarif?

Not only that but I imagine securing different sections of the galaxy where there are different cultures and therefore a plethora of forms of resistance that ISD's may be fitted specifically for where they are stationed.

30 minutes ago, Forresto said:

Could be.

Or over the nineteen year design span of the ISD-I there have been refinments and alterations made in various shipyards that other ISD-Is dont get refitted for.

Problem is - the Executrix (Tarkin's ship shortly after the Clone Wars) and the Devastator (very new - last ISD-I to come out off the production line) have the same layout - all the Imperial destroyers in Rogue One doing so.

I think it can be explained that Rebels ISDs are early production ISD-IIs, the new targeting array was still in developement so they built a bunch of them with the old one.

Kinda like the early T-80 tanks had T-64A turrets because the new turret wasn't ready yet, or M1 Abrams rocked a 105mm gun for five years until the intended 120mm was ready to be mass produced.

Edited by eMeM

11 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

Problem is - the Executrix (Tarkin's ship shortly after the Clone Wars) and the Devastator (very new - last ISD-I to come out off the production line) have the same layout - all the Imperial destroyers in Rogue One doing so.

The Executrix in Rogue One is not the original. The original was destroyed over Mustafar.

ISD-I and -II designations have always bugged me since WEG.  If there is that much of a difference then they are actually two seperate classes.  Name them different classes and get on with it.

On 3/29/2017 at 1:55 PM, JJFDVORAK said:

Why didn't Konstantine just use the gravity well generators to repulse Sato's ship? I'm pretty sure that would have worked. Maybe there wasn't time.

They seem to need a minute or two to power up. Also, they don't seem to be force-ray repulsors, but generalized field generators.

Honestly they should have sacrificed a couple of corvettes to kamikaze them out of the way, and set the rest of the fleet to jump. Or, since Imperial ships seem slower than molasses, outrun them, dispersing in every direction, and then meeting up elsewhere. (Futurama showed how stupid a horizontal space blockade is) They could even have kept the planet between them and the ISDs in order to escape.

Honestly I have been considering the high necked ISD's of rebels as a subclass. Imperial I-b for lack of a better designation. Same specifications as the ones in ANH and Rogue One, but built by a different shipyard. (Perhaps like the two classes of Littorial combat ship IRL, the empire makes an effort to keep the two types separate by geographical/astrographical areas)

To quote the great SWNCBC (Star Wars New Canon Bookclub) podcast. Broadstrokes gentleman, broadstrokes.

When you read a Star Wars comic usually all the iconic ships and vehicles are a little wonky because of style. You accept a standard star destroyer being totally out of proportion or missing features or being fairly inaccurate because of the format. You accept shortcuts being taken to accomodate a more exaggerated form of storytelling such as quick cuts between scenes and abbreviated dialogue. Broadstrokes.

Rebels is a twenty minute animated show that visually leans heavily into its style. There are certain things you have to accept as part of the style of the show. ISD-Is in Rebels are meant to be ISD-Is and if put in live action would be like those seen in Rogue One and A New Hope. Yes they have elements of ISD-IIs but again remember broadstrokes, they're styled to imbue the sortve universal elements we think of with Star Destroyers. 

Edited by Forresto

3 hours ago, Forresto said:

To quote the great SWNCBC (Star Wars New Canon Bookclub) podcast. Broadstrokes gentleman, broadstrokes.

When you read a Star Wars comic usually all the iconic ships and vehicles are a little wonky because of style. You accept a standard star destroyer being totally out of proportion or missing features or being fairly inaccurate because of the format. You accept shortcuts being taken to accomodate a more exaggerated form of storytelling such as quick cuts between scenes and abbreviated dialogue. Broadstrokes.

Rebels is a twenty minute animated show that visually leans heavily into its style. There are certain things you have to accept as part of the style of the show. ISD-Is in Rebels are meant to be ISD-Is and if put in live action would be like those seen in Rogue One and A New Hope. Yes they have elements of ISD-IIs but again remember broadstrokes, they're styled to imbue the sortve universal elements we think of with Star Destroyers. 

Yup. As I put it a few posts ago:

On 30/03/2017 at 2:35 PM, Ironlord said:

It really depends how literally we are supposed to take the ship appearances. If we take the approach that movies in general and Rogue One in particular, are accurate and TV less accurate, then we can put down all differences, to artistic licence, and assume that all Rebels ISDs "really" look like Rogue One ones.

50 minutes ago, Sir Orrin said:

So the trailer for the second season of the Lego Freemaker adventures just dropped, saw it because i'm subbed to the Star Wars Youtube. Anyway, Hera is in it. What makes this interesting is, Freemaker adventures takes place after Empire Strikes Back. hmmmmmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Wo9KMY26Y

SPOILER!

I also read a Spoiler (well it is not tecnically a Spoiler, but more a Cast confimation) for Ep8.
While it made me happy, I got mad at the same time because I lost the moment of surprise in the Cinema. But hey, I would have noticed it during the SW Celebration Stream anyways :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, Sir Orrin said:

So the trailer for the second season of the Lego Freemaker adventures just dropped, saw it because i'm subbed to the Star Wars Youtube. Anyway, Hera is in it. What makes this interesting is, Freemaker adventures takes place after Empire Strikes Back. hmmmmmmmm.

Something else I noticed. The bad guy's ship looked suspiciously like a TIE Phantom. 

6 hours ago, T70 Driver said:

Something else I noticed. The bad guy's ship looked suspiciously like a TIE Phantom. 

It basically is. Im into Lego and they have that ship  coming out this summer as a set.

Its not the first time Lego has done this either which is why it most likely is meant to be a phantom. They repurposed the E Wing and a Headhunter for characters and made them sets by giving them different names.

5 hours ago, Forresto said:

It basically is. Im into Lego and they have that ship  coming out this summer as a set.

Its not the first time Lego has done this either which is why it most likely is meant to be a phantom. They repurposed the E Wing and a Headhunter for characters and made them sets by giving them different names.

I wonder if it'll have the cloak in the cartoon.

23 hours ago, Sir Orrin said:

tumblr_oil6bgsezl1t8pecvo1_500.gif

On 3/30/2017 at 2:01 PM, GrimmyV said:

ISD-I and -II designations have always bugged me since WEG.  If there is that much of a difference then they are actually two seperate classes.  Name them different classes and get on with it.

Eh...like the US Navy's Arleigh Burke-class destroyers?  Between Flight I and Flight IIA they changed the armament and added the ability to carry aircraft.  The Flight I had no ability to embark helicopters, while the Flight IIA carries a pair of Seahawks.

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Eh...like the US Navy's Arleigh Burke-class destroyers?  Between Flight I and Flight IIA they changed the armament and added the ability to carry aircraft.  The Flight I had no ability to embark helicopters, while the Flight IIA carries a pair of Seahawks.

This.

A basic chassis, in military terms, just dictates general terms like the displacement of a hull - and because building the hull is a huge initial cost in both time, money, and materiel, it's often more cost-efficient to upgrade them when new technology comes out rather than replace them entirely. It cost half a million each to replace the electronics in an F/A-22 a decade ago, for example, but $95 million to buy an F-35A - buying one F35A costs almost as much as replacing electronics in the entire FLEET of F/A-22s that the USAF runs. Military craft are often designed with the upgrade cycle in mind, too; components are designed to be easily removed and installing more modern ones will often take about as long as replacing an old one.

So in real terms, ISD-Is would go into drydock and come out six months later as ISD-IIs, rather than spending a year building a new ISD-II from the ground up. Times are completely guessed at in nucanon, mind you.

2 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

This.

A basic chassis, in military terms, just dictates general terms like the displacement of a hull - and because building the hull is a huge initial cost in both time, money, and materiel, it's often more cost-efficient to upgrade them when new technology comes out rather than replace them entirely. It cost half a million each to replace the electronics in an F/A-22 a decade ago, for example, but $95 million to buy an F-35A - buying one F35A costs almost as much as replacing electronics in the entire FLEET of F/A-22s that the USAF runs. Military craft are often designed with the upgrade cycle in mind, too; components are designed to be easily removed and installing more modern ones will often take about as long as replacing an old one.

So in real terms, ISD-Is would go into drydock and come out six months later as ISD-IIs, rather than spending a year building a new ISD-II from the ground up. Times are completely guessed at in nucanon, mind you.

That's assuming ISD IIs are always superior to Is, which became outdated for some reason.