Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

4 hours ago, Black Knight Leader said:

Considering the shots were heading towards whatever his name is, the Blind Jedi, he may have used the force to try and obsorb as mush of the beams as he could, or the energy that would be released, to protect himself.  

It isn't just near him - the shots have a similar effect everywhere they're seen striking the ground.

Canon is canon, and they were re-posted in primary canon sources, including source books, and the books themselves were re-printed with zero legends tags, so it is primary canon.

Complete Vehicles was first published before the reboot - and it uses old data that contradicts the Databank (like 150m Corvette when all other sources say  126m, or 26m Falcon when all other sources say over 34m) so I consider that the reprint is currently non-canon, whether it has the Legends banner or not. Generally, they only use the Legends banner for fiction, not reprinted sourcebooks.

12 minutes ago, Ironlord said:

It isn't just near him - the shots have a similar effect everywhere they're seen striking the ground.

In before the arguments becomes that Kanan and Bendu reduce the firepower of all incoming shots and thus saved the base with the force. :D

(Actually I can accept the lower power settings used to ensure capture not annihilation of their targets)

And I strongly discourage to even get into that discussion, it will become pretty quickly pretty insane :D

1 hour ago, xanderf said:

Eh...but in ESB, the asteroids explode when they hit EACH OTHER.

The assumption any of those articles begin with, the the rocks must be some kind if high-density metal, are obviously false on the surface.  They hit each other and explode.

Seems likelier that asteroids in the Star Wars universe are actually more like hollow shells filled with hydrogen gas or something...

Good point, actually there could be some explosives worth to mine in that belt. I think my party needs to start a minion operation in the Hoth Asteroid belt. Maybe we are lucky and it is rich in Baradium bisulfate. :D

On 3/26/2017 at 6:38 AM, LunarSol said:

I was thrilled to have Hera acknowledge their relationship again

Did she, though? "Love" is just affectionate british way to call people, doesn't neccesarily have to mean they are a couple.

Just now, Voitek said:

Did she, though? "Love" is just affectionate british way to call people, doesn't neccesarily have to mean they are a couple.

While I agree, the fact that she only uses the Term for Kanan and Kanan only, kinda leans into that direction.
Also they are, I think it was even stated in the Season1 Preview or something.

The problem with this show, which is made very apparent in this episode, is that the writers seem to be completely out of touch with the animators and the budget.

They have money to make a cosy series about a small rebel cell, but they want to show all those grand battles, all the important events that shaped the pre-Yavin Rebellion, and have Ezra meet every single movie character.

Look at this battle. FFS, t's significantly larger that Battle of Scariff! Or at least should be, looking at the composition of forces, but obviously isn't, with that tiny budget they can't up the blockbuster movie, but nevertheless they try.

What they do with the space battle is just sad. Five TIEs per ISD, unarmed ships, espeically Rebel ones, capships massacred by fighters, Interdictor DESTROYED BY BLASTERS, that ridiculous orbital bombardment.

Ground battle was also a complete joke.

And how did the Rebels expect to strike the Lothal factory if the same fleet that destroyed them over Atollon was stationed on Lothal?

Smaller nipticks, Thrawn is extremely careless in this episode. Had Kallus taken a blaster with him to send the warning, he would be dead. If there was a hidden sniper somewhere in the base, he would be dead. When the Rebels were surrounded, I don't know what he expected to happen, I understand that he doesn't watch the show so he doesn't know that they were in the exact same situation multiple times (held at gunpoint, no cover, surrounded, outnumberted, weapons down) and managed to kill everyone around them without any losses, but even disregarding that, Thrawn would be the first person to die if he ordered to open fire, shot by someone or hit by a deflected blaster bolt. And a moment later he was within reach of Kanan's ignited lightsaber and would be dead if Kanan wasn't busy looking at the storm :P

All the episodes with Thrawn keikakuing around trying to find the Rebel base were ultimately pointless, just like Iron Squadron. Filler was just a filler, what a surprise!

AP-5 still wasn't left to die, that's a major letdown.

RIP Phantom II. 

I loved Thrawn's "Jedi devilry", his show-offs, cockiness, and him losing his cool when Bendu predicts his defeat, overall I think I like this Thrawn more than the book one, (in regards to characterization, not his military actions).

Smiled at Hera's "love" and I admit, Kallus escape had some tension, which happens very rarely in this series.

Just now, Ghost XV15 said:

While I agree, the fact that she only uses the Term for Kanan and Kanan only, kinda leans into that direction.
Also they are, I think it was even stated in the Season1 Preview or something.

I remember it was briefly suggested in season one - I was wondering if it was an actual thing, or just something to mess with our heads. It was never mentioned again, so I'd assume there is this one writer who likes this idea and he managed to smuggle it into the script on those two opportunities while other writers do not share his enthusiasm of making Hera and Conan a couple :D

1 minute ago, eMeM said:

Come on, you have to be blind to not see they are in a relationship.

All the hugs, looks, "love"s, Kanan meeting Cham.

BTW, where was Kanan sleeping when Ezra found his room empty in Twin Suns? :>

:o:ph34r::wub:<_<;)

I can just see Thrawn and Vader in an officer's mess on Coresant swapping incompetent minion stories...

I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.  I was glad to see Sato die, not because I dislike the character (in fact I think he was a great character) but because it gave something to the story.  I also liked the not so subtle apparent removal of Kanan's plot armour at the start of the episode that made the moments he was in danger all the easier to get invested in.  Seeing Sabine again made my daughter happy, and I was pleased that they made it clear she's still invested in Mandalore over the Rebelion.  As to Kallus, very happy he made it out, although I'd also have been happy if his fate had been ambiguous.  The first episode of S4 being the Ghost crew trying to find out what had happened to him then rescuing him from the Spice Mines of Kessel would have been cool (plus Han Solo camino for the fan service win).

I just find it silly that the FIVE star destroyers didn't just obliterate every single ship. To make it worse, they showed off the ISD's fire power when they bombarded the base! During the bombardment schene, I was like "YES! YES!! GO EMPIRE!!!" Then right after I was like "Wait, why didn't they use all those guns on the ships? :huh:". Also, what is the point of having Corvettes & hammerheads if they accomplish nothing?

2 hours ago, Sir Orrin said:

I just find it silly that the FIVE star destroyers didn't just obliterate every single ship. To make it worse, they showed off the ISD's fire power when they bombarded the base! During the bombardment schene, I was like "YES! YES!! GO EMPIRE!!!" Then right after I was like "Wait, why didn't they use all those guns on the ships?

Because Tarkin specifically requested Thrawn to take prisoners.

Speaking of which, is anyone else surprised that a Grand Moff apparently outranks a Grand Admiral?

1 minute ago, DarthEnderX said:

Because Tarkin specifically requested Thrawn to take prisoners.

Speaking of which, is anyone else surprised that a Grand Moff apparently outranks a Grand Admiral?

Isn't Tarkin just a Govener at the moment?

And they do not ourtrank each other, because Grand Moff is a political Title, while Grand Admiral is a Fleet Title.
So as long as Thrawn is operating in Tarkins Teritorry, he is under Tarkins Command. 

Just like Vader had to listen to Tarkin, because Vader outranks everyone, but on the Death Star Tarkin is Boss.

14 minutes ago, Ghost XV15 said:

And they do not ourtrank each other, because Grand Moff is a political Title, while Grand Admiral is a Fleet Title.
So as long as Thrawn is operating in Tarkins Teritorry, he is under Tarkins Command. 

Just like Vader had to listen to Tarkin, because Vader outranks everyone, but on the Death Star Tarkin is Boss.

But if Tarkin is in-charge of the sector then he has a lot of pull. Just like the president can make specific orders on how things are done for the military. Perfect example is governors giving orders to National Guard in emergencies.

Just now, Mackaywarrior said:

But if Tarkin is in-charge of the sector then he has a lot of pull. Just like the president can make specific orders on how things are done for the military. Perfect example is governors giving orders to National Guard in emergencies.

Yes, but he does not outrank him

14 minutes ago, Ghost XV15 said:

I've always thought that the Emperor found a particular kind of glee in pitting his underlings against each other including allowing them to 'hold Vader's leash'. Leia states that as if it is almost expected that Vader is subordinate to some Imperial officer whenever he's out and about. And then lo and behold, after all the Imperial senior staff is dead, Vader suddenly gets his own fleet and the leash looks to be cut until he's tethered up again at Endor.

Pretty much if the Emperor says that you take orders from a protocol droid, guess who your CO is now?

6 minutes ago, Ghost XV15 said:

Yes, but he does not outrank him

It's politics. It was more of a political request. If the Imperial Navy is like the real Navy then the captain/ admiral doesn't HAVE to listen as he is the sole authority in the seas. Thrawn benefits greatly from listening when he can and the request to take prisoners makes sense to Thrawn. After all, he wants to beat ALL the rebels.

Also, a captain that does not listen has to take a lot of time explaining why he did not listen. Much like Thrawn probably had to explain about that high civilian casualty during his last campaign.

Edited by Mackaywarrior

5 hours ago, eMeM said:

Come on, you have to be blind to not see they are in a relationship.

All the hugs, looks, "love"s, Kanan meeting Cham.

BTW, where was Kanan sleeping when Ezra found his room empty in Twin Suns? :>

I kinda assumed they were an item and Disney deliberately left it low-key for the kids.

Edited by Karhedron

Tarkin is very clearly more powerful then simply his ranks and titles imply. The way ive always seen him is that he is the Emperor's real right hand man whereas Vader is simply an enforcer. 

Tarkin is the kind of man that builds and maintains empires. He is administrator, soldier, and politician but he doesnt wish to be emperor. Tarkin is in charge of Vader because it is most likely Tarkin above all other men that the Emperor actually trusts. 

So when Tarkin tells you to jump you ask how high or you face the Emperor's ire. Even Thrawn is not impervious to that, especially as Thrawn is so notably ambitious. Even if Gallius Rax distorted the truth about the Emperor's opinion on Thrawn in Empire's End, the Emperor most likely still wouldnt put Thrawn at equal rank with Tarkin.

1 hour ago, Major Tom said:

Also can we please have Wedge and Hobbie in A-Wings and some Rebel Y-Wings with EPTs as part of some sort of Rebels big box expansion.  

Atollon Defenders Box

Wedge, Hobbie, Pheonix Squadron Recruit (converts all hits recurved to crits :P ), and perhaps one of the other named pheonix pilots.

The Awing Trainer upgrade (removes native boost and gives a crew upgrade). And perhaps a R22 downgrade card which jiggers the stats to lower survivability, but possibly increase attack. 

Pair it with a green squadron Y wing (because green squadron are now the Swiss army knife pilots, flying anything available), with oft requested pilots such as Leia.

Throw in a mini campaign booklet and some new terrain... Such as a wisp of nebula cload, representing a tendril of thicker material within a nebula, which explodes when hit with secondary weapons. 

I really did enjoy the season finale and felt it was very "Star Wars-y" in the best way possible, but agree with some of the other comments here about it being on a grander scale than the budget allowed for.  The space battle was arguably more impressive in the trailers as you only saw enough to get you excited, not enough to be disappointed by.  There were some great elements (Kallus, the Rebels falling into Thrawn's trap) and other elements that I could have lived without or rang hollow (blasters taking out an Interdictor) but overall I liked it more than I disliked it.

7/10, will watch again.