Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion thread

8,756 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, eMeM said:

So he and Yoda decided to achieve that by using reverse psychology  telling Luke that his father is not even a human being anymore and that he absolutely has to kill him...

Yeah, no.

Hey man.  Luke's in the Rebellion.  He rebels.

2 hours ago, Forresto said:

He's probably late fities, early sixties.

Here's the way I see it. He has an Irishman's complexion on a desert planet with Two Suns. As someone with the same complexion it only takes one sun to sunburn me badly. Sun damage in an arid environment can do a lot to age somebody.  

Then you have the extraordinary levels of stress over an extended period of time at the end of the Clone Wars. Sure he found peace by Rebels but i'm sure those early years after Revenge of the Sith were stressful as all heck. Stress can age people as well.

All in all Obi Wan has been through more then most so to me it makes sense he looks older then he is.

he actually turned borderline mad during the early years, so yeah, he had a hard time

Forresto likes this

Not really Rebels related, and I don't actually play Armada, but I was really happy to see the Imperials get the Quasar Fire Cruiser-Carrier in Armada.  Glad they didn't make it a Rebel ship just because the one in Rebels is captured by the Rebellion.

Was Luke trained by Yoda to kill Vader and Sheev?

Or was Yoda and Obi-Wan's master plan for training primarily,  so Luke could survive long enough and then become bait for Vader to turn on Sheev? While also training Luke to know the ways of the Jedi and allow the Force to take over?

And when Yoda and Obi-Wan said "There is another." Everyone thinks it's someone who can become a future Jedi. But we know now Leia doesn't become a Force user. When they said "There is another," they meant another child of Anakin who could bait Vader into turning on Sheev. 

LordBlades likes this

2 hours ago, flyboymb said:

One thing I noticed was what seemed to be the presence of Tatooine's twin suns during the night. At least there were two objects that were approximately the same distance and size shown twice in the night sky during the episode.

This would be extremely weird as it would imply that Tatooine had a wildly fast orbit and that night on the planet was actually it moving so far away from its suns that their light diminished to the point that other stars were visible.

Only other thing I can think of is that Tatooine has two moons extremely close to each other which would rapidly lead to either their collision or the degradation of their orbits.

If I recall correctly, the opening scene in ANH showed a couple of planetary bodies in close proximity to Tatooine.

6 hours ago, eMeM said:

So he and Yoda ....  telling Luke ... that he absolutely has to kill him...

When do either of them say that? 

Ive always thought it very significant (and more than a little annoying that virtually nobody else, including Luke, realizes it) that neither Ben nor Yoda ever say anything about killing Vader. Luke must "confront" Vader, he must "face" Darth Vader again, only a trained Jedi will "conquer" Vader and the Emperor, and all those things Luke did, but it was Luke who assumed that confronting Vader meant killing him. 

Jiron likes this

11 minutes ago, patox said:

Luke was pretty much trained from the get-go in the Dagobah hologram room NOT to kill vader.

That wasn't a hologram. It was a dark side force vision.

5 hours ago, gamblertuba said:

Have we ever seen Obi-Wan learn about the existence of Darth Vader?  I'm curious how long that bit of info took to make it out to him and how he pieced together who "Vader" was.

It happened in the novel Kenobi, in Legends. Other than that, I don't recall seeing it happen in any other sources.

One other thing, if I was "Rebel Command", I'd be pissed that Ezra "stole" an A-wing and lost it.  Sure, he came back with another ship, but still.  I would think that the Rebels need and value every ship they have.  You can't just lose one like that with no consequences.

7 hours ago, eMeM said:

So he and Yoda decided to achieve that by using reverse psychology  telling Luke that his father is not even a human being anymore and that he absolutely has to kill him...

Yeah, no.

Well, Luke was a teenager at the time they were training him, so, as adult authority figures, that probably was the best way to get him to do what they wanted...

:lol:

4 hours ago, patox said:

Was Luke trained by Yoda to kill Vader and Sheev?

Or was Yoda and Obi-Wan's master plan for training primarily,  so Luke could survive long enough and then become bait for Vader to turn on Sheev? While also training Luke to know the ways of the Jedi and allow the Force to take over?

And when Yoda and Obi-Wan said "There is another." Everyone thinks it's someone who can become a future Jedi. But we know now Leia doesn't become a Force user. When they said "There is another," they meant another child of Anakin who could bait Vader into turning on Sheev. 

Leia had the potential to become a Jedi, she just decided to focus on politics since she didn't have to. 

2 hours ago, Underachiever599 said:

It happened in the novel Kenobi, in Legends. Other than that, I don't recall seeing it happen in any other sources.

I'm pretty sure that the hologram that Obi-wan and Yoda see in ROTS has Palpatine calling Anakin Lord Vader in it, if so it would be pretty easy to piece things together when smugglers, wanted men, imperials, or rebel sympathziers tell ghost stories about him while Obi-wan visits the town to pick up supplies.

1 hour ago, Cannon3 said:

One other thing, if I was "Rebel Command", I'd be pissed that Ezra "stole" an A-wing and lost it.  Sure, he came back with another ship, but still.  I would think that the Rebels need and value every ship they have.  You can't just lose one like that with no consequences.

DarthEnderX likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Cannon3 said:

Its an A-wing... Getting blown up was its destiny.

Edited by MPG

7 hours ago, markcsoul said:

He killed the acklay in AOTC, numerous Clones in ROTS, and I'm pretty sure some mandos and aliens in TCW.

ah thnx.

It's easy to forget about minor kills like that.   Still, If I forgot about them, maybe Obi did too.  Afterall, it's not like an acklay or some helmeted mandos and clones are really memorable.  Maybe he remembered some aliens.  Which aliens did he kill in TCW?  I don't remember.

2 hours ago, Cannon3 said:

Well, it was the trainer model we saw earlier this season. That's bad, but it's not like it was an active duty combat ship, and it seems like all Phoenix Squadron's pilots are trained up - they haven't actually done anything on screen in a while so the next dozen of them haven't died. 

Plus like MPG said, A-Wings blow up all the time. If they actually mattered Rebel Command should be disciplining whoever keeps teaching those guys to fly. 

3 hours ago, Cannon3 said:

Its okay. The player characters always get away with stuff like that.

4 hours ago, Cannon3 said:

What are they gonna do?  Kick out one of their only two Jedi?

It's a real "beggars can't be choosers" situation.  It's an organization built on people rebelling from authority.  You just kinda have to deal with the fact that everyone is a loose cannon.

Not much to add beyond what others have said - basically perfect episode, and the best capstone to the Obi-Wan/Maul arc that seems possible*.

Of course, as noted, there is sort of a gaping plot hole around Ezra's participation, here.  I mean, it's great that Obi-Wan spells it out to him that he isn't part of this story.  That's nice and all.  But especially given you are hanging out with Rex, nevermind a Rebellion teetering on the brink - it seems kinda unlike Ezra to not TELL EVERYONE THAT KENOBI LIVES.

* Point on this, of course.  That Obi-Wan and Maul's arc should have ended a long time back.  At the VERY least, I hope Obi-Wan bothered (after their final words) to whip out that ol' lightsaber and DICE UP MAUL INTO 1" CUBES!  And then, like, spend the next few months traveling around Tatooine and burying each cube-o'-Maul in distant areas, at least a thousand miles apart.  He did, after all, come back after you cut him in half the first time.  So...just sayin'...

11 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

When do either of them say that? 

Ive always thought it very significant (and more than a little annoying that virtually nobody else, including Luke, realizes it) that neither Ben nor Yoda ever say anything about killing Vader. Luke must "confront" Vader, he must "face" Darth Vader again, only a trained Jedi will "conquer" Vader and the Emperor, and all those things Luke did, but it was Luke who assumed that confronting Vader meant killing him. 

"He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

and a moment later:

"- I can't kill my own father.

- Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

And Yoda straight up tells him that he should let his friends die, just like he told Anakin in RotS. What Obi-Wan and Yoda were trying to do was training Luke the exact same way they have been trained. Let go of your emotions etc etc.

They were wrong.

But apparently Luke was wrong too, God, I hate TFA so much.

JJFDVORAK and arkhamssaber like this

6 hours ago, UnitOmega said:

Well, it was the trainer model we saw earlier this season. That's bad, but it's not like it was an active duty combat ship, and it seems like all Phoenix Squadron's pilots are trained up - they haven't actually done anything on screen in a while so the next dozen of them haven't died. 

Plus like MPG said, A-Wings blow up all the time. If they actually mattered Rebel Command should be disciplining whoever keeps teaching those guys to fly. 

That trainer was more important than any single combat variant, even in the episode it is said that it is ready to flight at any time because they are training so much.

ViscerothSWG likes this

20 minutes ago, eMeM said:

"He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."

and a moment later:

"- I can't kill my own father.

- Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

And Yoda straight up tells him that he should let his friends die, just like he told Anakin in RotS. What Obi-Wan and Yoda were trying to do was training Luke the exact same way they have been trained. Let go of your emotions etc etc.

They were wrong.

But apparently Luke was wrong too, God, I hate TFA so much.

If this was indeed Yoda's and Obi-Wan's intention it's also interesting to wonder what made them hope Luke would be a better warrior than both of them combined.

There were quite a few years post RotS when both of them were still powerful warriors and could have ambushed Vader or Palpatine together.