Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

From all 25 fans who played TIE Fighter back in medieval ages, are still alive and still remember details of this game. There is simlply no comparison to the Skipray which was featured in multiple popular novels and had a big role in a much more recent videogame.

You trying to pass off the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games like they are old and obscure and nobody remembers them yet trying to imply that New Jedi Order books are new and popular is just laughable revisionist history.

TIE Fighter is one of the most popular PC games of it's decade, and the NJO books were practically responsible for killing off popular interest in the Star Wars novel boom.

At the very least, more people actually know what a Gunboat LOOKS like as a ship they actually spent hours flying around in, and not one that gets mentioned a few times in books they didn't read.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Tie Fighter is an old an obscure game to the current generation of players. Many of them are younger that it is...

Yes, but the entire EU is now obscure to the current generation of players.  You're fooling yourself if you really think Empire At War is any less obscure to the current generation.

Granted, the Gunboat was only well known 20 years ago.  But the Skipray has NEVER been well known.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Great use of him, hope he sticks around past this season. 

I'm just praying he doesn't die.

I'm okay if he has to get transferred somewhere more important after the season after successfully wiping out the Rebel fleet.

The Ghost will just barely escape, and next season they're back to square one.

Granted, the Gunboat was only well known 20 years ago.  But the Skipray has NEVER been well known.

The Skipray comes up repeatedly in the EU.

The Gunboat is one of those rare ships that has never stepped outside its source material save for rare appearances in RPG books which says a lot. The DIE-wing has a larger canonical presence.

It's held in high regard here because there's a lot of crossover between players of the old flight sim and players of this miniatures game. The SWXMG community cares about it but Star Wars as a whole does not.

Edited by Blue Five

I had never heard of the Gunboat, but the Skipray as a kid was one of my favorite ever since reading the Thrawn trilogy and getting the old "Essential Guides".

I'm in this boat. I'd never heard of the Gunboat until I saw it here,

but I read the Thrawn trilogy and know the Skipray Blastboat.

I would bet a tally here comes out in favor of the Skipray Blastboat.

You say that, but with the TAP, they blew up one of the prototypes and stole the other. That didn't stop us from seeing more of them next season.

Difference with the TAP is that the team made a full 3d model for it the first time we saw it - that basically guarantees that it will appear more often in the show.  (Heck, the new Y-Wing 3d model they went ahead and re-used in the immediate next episode as part of the Empire's simulator...a 3d model, once they put the time in to make it, is basically never used only once)

In this case - no 3d model of the TIE Defender, yet.

(Now, that doesn't mean we won't see one, of course - just that the precedent the TAP sets is not directly applicable, here.  TV show-ready 3d models and 2d sketches are very, very different levels of work.)

The TIE Defender got a Lego set. End of debate there. 

That was a fun episode. Seeing Thrawn Thrawn was fun. And it was a very first appearance Thrawn, who is good, but not infallible. Great use of him, hope he sticks around past this season. 

The freaking TIE Droid got a LEGO set...I don't even know where that is from!

Tie Fighter is an old an obscure game to the current generation of players. Many of them are younger that it is...

Yes, but the entire EU is now obscure to the current generation of players.  You're fooling yourself if you really think Empire At War is any less obscure to the current generation.

lol

muh Thrawn's trilogy so obscure

You are fooling yourself if you think more people have played TIE Fighter than Empire at War.

EDIT

Just on steam a thousand people play EaW at this very moment, 40,054 played this game in the last two weeks. Empire at War is still alive.

http://steamcharts.com/app/32470#48h

Edited by eMeM

lol

muh Thrawn's trilogy so obscure

This is what I'm talking about, the way you weight popularity is ridiculous.

Yeah, the Thrawn Trilogy is more important than TIE Fighter.  But you spend a quarter of TIE Fighter flying in Gunboats.   The Thrawn Trilogy doesn't spend a quarter of it's time in Blastboats.  They're some patrols ships Karrde uses in, like, 2 chapters.

The idea that you're trying to say "Blastboats were in a more popular thing, therefor they are more popular" when they were only in the more popular thing 1% as much is completely retarded.

Guess what?  Force Awakens is way more popular than TIE Fighter.  But the fact that the Quadjumper was in TFA doesn't make the Quadjumper more popular than the TIE Defender.

Being in a more popular thing doesn't make you more popular.  Being liked by more people does.  And nobody knows what the Blastboat is.

Edited by DarthEnderX

No.

Gunboat appeared in three ancient games. The only way to learn about this ship is to be born in mid XIII century and play X-wing or TIE Fighter (or visit FFG forums).

Skipray was liked by many authours of various different media. You could learn about it from many books, including the one that is usually recommended as the first EU novel to read for a newcomer to the franchise, or by playing a still popular game which features it as an one of the backbones on your fleet.

Edited by eMeM

Say what you want.  But the Gunboat thread has 5000 posts in it.

The largest Skipray thread has...what, 36?

You can perform whatever mental gymnastics you want to try and convince yourself that the Skipray is more popular, but it's horse****.  Plain and simple.

The only way to learn about this ship is to be born in mid XIII century and play X-wing or TIE Fighter (or visit FFG forums).
Yeah, because nobody plays old video games.

Oh no wait, the NES Classic is this season's Tickle-Me-Elmo...

People play old things all the time.  Even young people.  There are Let's Play channels with millions of subscribers that do nothing but play old games.  People do care about **** that existed before they were born.
Edited by DarthEnderX

Say what you want.  But the Gunboat thread has 5000 posts in it.

The largest Skipray thread has...what, 36?

You can perform whatever mental gymnastics you want to try and convince yourself that the Skipray is more popular, but it's horse****.  Plain and simple.

The only way to learn about this ship is to be born in mid XIII century and play X-wing or TIE Fighter (or visit FFG forums).
Yeah, because nobody plays old video games.

Oh no wait, the NES Classic is this season's Tickle-Me-Elmo...

People play old things all the time.  Even young people.  There are Let's Play channels with millions of subscribers that do nothing but play old games.  People do care about **** that existed before they were born.

You believe this forum, or more specifically a circlejerk thread bumped over and over by the same buch of people, is an accurate representation of the population of X-wing TMG players? Or even better, Star Wars fanbase?

Okay, that's a definitve end of this off topic discussion :D

You believe this forum, or more specifically a circlejerk thread bumped over and over by the same buch of people, is an accurate representation of the population of X-wing TMG players? Or even better, Star Wars fanbase?

Well I believe it over your...nothing.  Yes.

I don't see you posting any popularity polls to support your opinion.

At least the Gunboat HAS a bunch of people willing to bump a circlejerk thread over and over.  The Blastboat doesn't even have that.

Edited by DarthEnderX

At least the Gunboat HAS a bunch of people willing to bump a circlejerk thread over and over.  The Blastboat doesn't even have that.

There have been a couple of people now, besides eMeM that have mentioned they know the Skipray Blastboat, but didn't know the Gunboat. That doesn't mean we get a hard on every time we see a Skipray Blastboat.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is canon again, and I hate to break it to you but in that trilogy it may only have been a couple of chapters, but they were more significant than anything the Gunboat has done or been in because Luke Skywalker flew one, Luke who? - Only the hero of the entire original trilogy, that the XWMG is based on.

A hand full of people in a circle jerk, as eMeM put it, is worthless to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's worthless to FFG. I don't think FFG will ever make the Gunboat because of the pressure that's being aimed at them; if I were them I would ignore it at this point just to prove (as precedent/example) that no one is going to force them to do anything.  

A  JayRhea creation:

f1.%20GAT-12m%20Skipray%20Blastboat%20Em

Edited by gabe69velasquez

To the real point of this thread- awesome episode. Kallus is soon to be bent over (metaphorically) for Thrawn.

As to current controversy, I am another in the camp who have familiarity with the Blastboat, but had never heard of the XG-1 until these forums. I don't pretend to comment on popularity, but I think the Blastboat is more familiar in this contest of obscure ships. In realty, though, there are probably more people who like Star Wars who'd look at both and ask "what's that thing?"

X-Wing Series on steam:

https://steamspy.com/app/354430<<< X-Wing

https://steamspy.com/app/355250<<< TIE-Fighter

https://steamspy.com/app/361690<<< X-Wing vs TIE + Balance of Power Expansion

https://steamspy.com/app/361670<<< X-Wing Alliance

Despite the games having sold for nearly 20 years before on other platforms and despite gog.com being the superior platform and having superior version to the steam versions sold still super successfull, while empire at war is basically a modern game with even cloud saves on steam with a 2010 relase of the gold pack on steam iirc.

https://steamspy.com/app/32470<<< Empire at War,

You still sold me to by the game, I liked grey goo, so this is gonna be at least semi decent … hopefully. Still, TIE-Fighter is one of the most relevant games of the whole genre. I guess that is one of the reasons people are so passionate about the gunboat.

the gunship/skipray debate/request is actually pretty pointless. Neither ship appears in the current canon. as a result the chances if either appearing in the game at this point is next to none. As soon as one or the other shows up in a movie, tv show, current comic or one of the canon books, they will be relevant. Until then, discussion of them as far as the game goes, is a waste of time.

If you want to petition somebody regarding these vessels, petition LFL, not FFG.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing them  show up but i'm sure the good folks at LFL have plenty of other new fresh ideas to work on. But who knows. it would be cool to see one of them docked in some seedy space port in the  upcoming young Han Solo movie. Even if it's just sitting in the background.

I was wondering how Maul was going to play out, apparently he's found himself to pull a couple episodes before the big attack on the Lothal factory! Hopefully he leads the gang to Obi-wan, who in turn knows a guy in mos eisley who has some info on some new Incom starfighters.... Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors anybody? Or possibly something new and different. Anyway, should be a good sub-arc before we get back to springing Thrawn's trap.

There have been a couple of people now, besides eMeM that have mentioned they know the Skipray Blastboat, but didn't know the Gunboat. That doesn't mean we get a hard on every time we see a Skipray Blastboat.

Grand Admiral Thrawn is canon again, and I hate to break it to you but in that trilogy it may only have been a couple of chapters, but they were more significant than anything the Gunboat has done or been in because Luke Skywalker flew one, Luke who? - Only the hero of the entire original trilogy, that the XWMG is based on.

A hand full of people in a circle jerk, as eMeM put it, is worthless to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's worthless to FFG. I don't think FFG will ever make the Gunboat because of the pressure that's being aimed at them; if I were them I would ignore it at this point just to prove (as precedent/example) that no one is going to force them to do anything.  

A  JayRhea creation:

f1.%20GAT-12m%20Skipray%20Blastboat%20Em

To be fair X-Wing the miniatures game is inspired by the video game series of the same game, hence is one of the reasons so many people want the ship to show up in the game or in the new canon so it can be added to the game. Either way FFG and LFL will add it or it won't, only time will tell.

Anyways, loved this episode, it was great to see Thrawn doing Thrawn things and not just letting the heroes escape. Plus it was great how the AT-AT drivers actually tried to do something smart, that would have worked if they weren't against Jedi, the storm troopers that noticed they didn't belong along also did great. So far this season has the had the best grunts in Rebels between this episode and the scout trooper from the Ryloth episode. 

A hand full of people in a circle jerk, as eMeM put it, is worthless to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's worthless to FFG.

Granted, but my point is the Blastboat has EVEN LESS THAN THAT.  Everything the Gunboat has going against it the Blastboat ALSO has against it.  And the Blastboat has none of the things the Gunboat has going FOR it.

I hate to break it to you but in that trilogy it may only have been a couple of chapters, but they were more significant than anything the Gunboat has done or been in because Luke Skywalker flew one

Except importance to the narrative does not equal popularity. Jar Jar Binks is extremely important to the narrative of Star Wars, and is one of the least popular characters in the franchise.

Personally, I don't care about either ship because neither one is a TIE, but I still hope they both make it in someday for the ones that people that do care.  I'm simply taking issue with the blatantly false statement of the Blastboat being a more popular craft than the Gunboat.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I was wondering how Maul was going to play out, apparently he's found himself to pull a couple episodes before the big attack on the Lothal factory! Hopefully he leads the gang to Obi-wan, who in turn knows a guy in mos eisley who has some info on some new Incom starfighters.... Kyle Katarn/Jan Ors anybody? Or possibly something new and different. Anyway, should be a good sub-arc before we get back to springing Thrawn's trap.

That is a lot of wishful thinking and I commend your optimism.