Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

Nobody mentioned the blind Kanan jokes! Those really made the episode for me. Solid episode that really sets the stage for a midseason bomb(hehehe) to be dropped.

In this episode humour was on point most of the time.

The doors are my favourite.

Best part of the entire episode was when they closed the blast door, but Ezra had already cut the hole. Hilarious!

Dark Troopers got absolutely wasted! When shown in the season preview, I thought it was going to be the reintroduction of the Dark Forces plot line to accompany Rogue One's plot. They seemed pretty durable, so maybe there's still hope for that scenario, but it seems just as likely to be only an aesthetic nod to its origins. Death Troopers could be their total replacement.

People change for the worse sometimes; characters should too.

Only problem with that is, if you make me like the character less, you make me like the show less.

If every character stays the same or improves, then the story is lying to itself and its audience.

...it's Star Wars. It's based on The Hero's Journey. Real life doesn't follow The Hero's Journey. All of Star Wars is lying to you and it always has.

Death Troopers could be their total replacement.

Death Troopers aren't droids though. That's kind of a fundamental element of Dark Troopers. Edited by DarthEnderX

Somebody mentioned makimg characters face adveristy and I have to laugh. Look I enjoy this show greatly. However there's not that much true threat from any of the antagonists. The rebels always escape unscathed. Honestly I think Game of Thrones and Walking Dead spoiled me because I genuinely feel tense watching new episodes of either show, less so Walking Dead now a days but point remains.

I think the writers, and many writers of Star Wars forget, is that the Empire needs to have their glory moments. That scene where Poe and the resistance come in and rescue Finn and crew and wreck the First Order, we need scenes like that for the bad guys. Thrawn is fine if he pays off, ik not bothered by him because he's not going to come into true play until the season finale.

I know this is a kids show but thats where I will bring up Avatar the Last Airbender, the perfect example of a kids show that demonstrates how tenuous the protsgonists situation really is. The show also is mature enough it appeals to adults as well, as in the show transcends simply being something for kids and genuinely can appeal to all ages. Sure theres war and violence but theres character growth and humor. Thats Star Wars in a nutshell. We get that with Rebels in doses but I cant help but feel frustrated with the writers.

Somebody mentioned makimg characters face adveristy and I have to laugh. Look I enjoy this show greatly. However there's not that much true threat from any of the antagonists. The rebels always escape unscathed. Honestly I think Game of Thrones and Walking Dead spoiled me because I genuinely feel tense watching new episodes of either show, less so Walking Dead now a days but point remains.

I think the writers, and many writers of Star Wars forget, is that the Empire needs to have their glory moments. That scene where Poe and the resistance come in and rescue Finn and crew and wreck the First Order, we need scenes like that for the bad guys. Thrawn is fine if he pays off, ik not bothered by him because he's not going to come into true play until the season finale.

I know this is a kids show but thats where I will bring up Avatar the Last Airbender, the perfect example of a kids show that demonstrates how tenuous the protsgonists situation really is. The show also is mature enough it appeals to adults as well, as in the show transcends simply being something for kids and genuinely can appeal to all ages. Sure theres war and violence but theres character growth and humor. Thats Star Wars in a nutshell. We get that with Rebels in doses but I cant help but feel frustrated with the writers.

Fun fact Dave Filoni worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender.

But based off the episode preview for this week it seems the crew is going back to Lothal, so maybe the theories about getting bombs to destroy the Siener Fleet production factory there will turn out to be true, hopefully it will end with Admiral Thrawn showing up and curb stomping the Rebels either as they are making their attack, or are retreating after doing it with the mid season ending having the main characters come out bruised, or having faced some loss to an extent. 

Then again, I think the episode after the next one was titled visions or something so maybe they will instead follow up on the whole Darth Maul thing and we will see Obi wan making an appearance of some sort. 

Using droids as the core of your army might be problematic from the PR point of view because of the Clone Wars.

Eh, I'll take it. Kinda. Sorta. As much as the Empire cares for PR...

They do care about PR.  

But not in the "let's make everything happy" kind of way, which is often assumed about PR.....

Rule By Fear is very much a Public Relations Situation, after all...     Its creating and crafting exactly the way you want to be presented to the masses.

But Hondo was never someone important. He always was insignificant, a local nuisance with lack impact on the galaxy than Jar Jar Binks. Its like saying some somali militias who interrupt from time to time trad traffic are important. They are a nuisance, but no one gives really a dime about them.

By that logic, an Imperial Admiral isn't important either. In fact, pretty much nobody short of the Emperor or Vader is "important" based on your qualifications.

The guy ruled and entire pirate fleet. Sure that's "local" on a galactic scale. But you know what, so is the entirety of Mandalore.

Hondo was a nuisance to single systems, Mandalore's influence zone was the whole mandalore sector with 2,000 independ systems. Wealthy and old systems, the kind which would immediately change the balance of power during the clone wars and cable of making planets look like this if they just wanted too:

Concord_Dawn_system.png

I think you lack some perspective on the bigger picture. Storywise imperial admirals are cannon fodder, but unlike Hondo they still are at least cable to DBZ a planet, not even at his best days Hondo's frigate could do this. Hondo's Pirate fleet was something which could have taken out by a single imperial elite squadron ... or just Vader in his advanced or Sato and a few CR90s. ;-)

They guys biggest achievement was commanding a small 350m frigate with laser and ion cannons and a few tractor beams. That is on pair with about Millions of other individuals. If you want to compare him to someone in the imperial military, you would go down as low as captain of Arquitens-class or similar ships. ;-)

Eh, not a big fan of that. Those clanking not-dark-troopers are effective compared to Stormtroopers. Wonder why the Empire don't use more..

We need something epic. Last 2 have been weak.

How effective were they, really? The only times they managed to hit anyone was when it was convenient to the plot. Just the same as Stormtroopers. (I mean, Stormtroopers did manage to actually hit plenty of Rebel troops on the Tantive IV, including the capture of Princess Leia, after all! Plus, Hoth).

Droids are effective and cheap but can be countered very hard by anti-droid weaponary, something the galaxy is full of thanks to the Clone Wars. They work best as suplementary troops in this era.

I would also bet it's cheaper to hand a guy a blaster and some armor, than build and program a droid.

Droids are effective and cheap but can be countered very hard by anti-droid weaponary, something the galaxy is full of thanks to the Clone Wars. They work best as suplementary troops in this era.

I would also bet it's cheaper to hand a guy a blaster and some armor, than build and program a droid.

But it takes more time to train them than to build the droid. Its the whole argument between cheap droid soldiers that can be built by the millions but are limited in what they can do or well trained soldiers that take a long time to train. The Clone Troopers received great training but were still beaten by droids if they were attacked in large enough numbers.

Edited by Animewarsdude

But it takes more time to train them than to build the droid. Its the whole argument between cheap droid soldiers that can be built by the millions but are limited in what they can do or well trained soldiers that take a long time to train. The Clone Troopers received great training but were still beaten by droids if they were attacked in large enough numbers.

normally yea, training would take longer, but apparently stormtroopers don't get very good training. Only certain units do.

Okay, so here's a question.

Why is the paint job so sh*tty when he JUST painted the thing?

I understand paint jobs looking faded and worn on some old rust bucket that somebody has had for years. But he just got that ship a couple months ago! And painted it AFTER that! Why does the paint look like it's 50 years old?!

Edited by DarthEnderX

I understand paint jobs looking faded and worn on some old rust bucket that somebody has had for years. But he just got that ship a couple months ago! And painted it AFTER that! Why does the paint look like it's 50 years old?!

Because if your ship looks beat up and dirty then the local gangs won't feel the need to vandalize, mess with, or threaten protection credits for the ship?

The same reason people buy designer jeans that have holes ripped them.

I can't believe this is actually a question.

Because if your ship looks beat up and dirty then the local gangs won't feel the need to vandalize, mess with, or threaten protection credits for the ship?

Ah, the Ford Focus method of vehicle security.

I'm not sure why people are so down on Hondo. You all must take your Star Wars too seriously. I think he's great fun!

But Hondo was never someone important. He always was insignificant, a local nuisance with lack impact on the galaxy than Jar Jar Binks. Its like saying some somali militias who interrupt from time to time trad traffic are important. They are a nuisance, but no one gives really a dime about them.   

His charm comes from his sociopathic, but fun attitude and that's it. He was pathetic as pirate and he is even more pathetic as con artist. He just lacks any hate or rage either, he just wants to look out for himself first, for his allies second. That makes him a very relatable character for a lot of people, especially as his lack of fear and morality let him go to places others can not. Sociopaths in general are the big TV stars often. ;)

Jar Jar Binks had tremendous impact on the galaxy!
But what's that got to do with anything?

I think he would be a great inclusion for the game, and I think that C-ROC Gozanti would be a great candidate for the Scum Huge ship, which is overdue.

Ah, the Ford Focus method of vehicle security.

It's how I pray that my bicycle doesn't get stolen. It's brand new, but I wrapped it in innertube, put cheesy stickers on it, and ripped pieces of cloth. Urban camo at its finest. :lol:

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein