Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

I've accepted that this show has no continuity or understanding of which ships are good counters for which and what constitutes armor and firepower. I think Rebels is ultimately a show that you have to sit back and enjoy for what it is despite how frustrating it can be. Ultimately I think the series will pay off and be good for the Nucanon. 

As for Thrawn, I think this entire endeavor was to undermine Admiral Konstantine. I actually think he knew the other would fail and that this mission had nothing to do with stopping or trapping the rebels.  

This episode wasn't great, but as usual my biggest problem was Sabine knowing everything.

"They attached somthing to my ship!"

"It's probably a manegtic mine, remotely detonated."

Bravo Sabine... you've done it again. 

*slow clap*

I think the space battle was cool. I find it funny that a CR90 can fight two gozantis and a ARGHKITTENS, but can't find a good interceptor pilot!  :lol:

At least they can play it off as her Imperial Academy training, would have felt more forced if another character said it.

It would be cool if they bring the mine to the game, maybe as a missile or bomb upgrade that when it hits it puts a mine token on that ship. The owner of the mine at the start of the combat phase can discard that token to either do damage, or roll dice for damage, to that ship and every ship at range 1 of it. The idea of potentially changing how your opponent flies mid game might be interesting, of course it would be better against swarm builds or multi ship builds rather than two ship builds. 

Maybe a bomb token, that when you fly within range one of it, it latches itself onto your ship, then detonates the following turn (Or if we want to get really creative give the Bomb a count down dial, The player sets it at the beginning of the turn before the bomb is dropped, and then reveals it when the bomb is attatched. The bomb goes off X turns from when it was attatched.) When it goes off, I feel like it should do auto damage (1 hit 1 crit), but the opponent should have options to mitigate some of the damage (Spend a focus to remove the hit, recieve a stress token to cancel the crit or something, limited to one???) Since it would be literally stuck to the ship. Maybe an option that if you perform a barrel roll action, the bomb is loosened from the ship, and detonates, and you roll 2 attack dice instead of taking the auto hit/crit? And whenever the bomb goes off, all ships within range 1 roll 2 dice for damage.

On the comments about ship armor and weapons and small ship killing capital ships. An A-wing ramming a SUPER STAR DESTROYER killed it. Yes this was with an entire fleet firing at that spot before hand, but if you just go off the RotJ, that monster's pretty weak. Also we don't know how many men they have to crew the Rebel ships, or how repaired they are. I mean, the Ghost crew was hunting for shields in one episode.

Also, it's a tv show. Just try to enjoy it.

Edited by sf1raptor

I know that since episode 1, this season has had a strong "recruitment" theme, makes me wonder (hope) if we are leading to a large space-battle featuring the regular crew alongside Wedge, Fenn and Iron Squad in an "Manificent Seven-esque" way

I would be severely disappointed if you introduced Thrawn and then DIDN'T have a large space-battle.  And, as has been mentioned, Thrawn seems to be setting up this exact thing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason they're introducing so many allies this season is because a bunch of them won't be surviving the finale.

I know that since episode 1, this season has had a strong "recruitment" theme, makes me wonder (hope) if we are leading to a large space-battle featuring the regular crew alongside Wedge, Fenn and Iron Squad in an "Manificent Seven-esque" way

I would be severely disappointed if you introduced Thrawn and then DIDN'T have a large space-battle.  And, as has been mentioned, Thrawn seems to be setting up this exact thing.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the reason they're introducing so many allies this season is because a bunch of them won't be surviving the finale.

Which given the Rebellion's first significant military victory over the Empire (as referenced in the opening crawl of ANH) is depicted in Rogue One this means it's the Rogue One battle or more likely they lose.

I think a remote detonated bomb would be neat. Drop before maneuver, detonate later with an action.

Yes! I want more munitions, dammit!

I think if magno-mines make it into our beloved game, it should be hard to attach and pack a helluva punch. The Empire plopped it onto a disabled ship- it may be a little bit tough to get a mine on a moving, operable vessel. Also Constantine expected it to destroy 2 ships in one boomboom.

I also think if I start a rock band ...it will be called The Magno-Mines.

At the end of every season of Rebels, a massive change happens. Events escalate and the rebellion evolves closer to what we know. From micro to macro. End of Season 1, they're no longer one ship of bandits operating around a single planet but larger a rebel cell operating within an entire sector. End of Season 2, instead of being a fleet always on the run the Rebel cell has established a more permanent base and seems to be in contact with other cells. With that escalation has always come a loss on both sides. Season 1/2 Grand inquisitor dies and they lose the Phoenix command ship. Season 2, they lose Ashoka (If she's not dead i'll eat my hat), and the inquisitors are all killed.   

I predict that there is going to be another big escalation at the end of this season leading into the beginning of season 4. The show isnt going to last forever and we're getting closer to the end of the series, we're basically just past the crest of the midpoint. We're two years out from the Battle of Yavin and the Rebellion is fairly centralized by the time of Rogue One and A New Hope and Filoni has said they will be leading the show more and more towards the tone and ideas of Rogue One. What will that escalation be though?

Well if the pattern of growth continues what can the rebels and Phoenix Cell grow into past a base and a small fleet? I think Phoenix Cell is going to finally join with other cells at the end of this season or at least be put on a path to join others. I loathe to say it but I do think it likely Thrawn will die (or Governor Pryce) and I think he will die in a battle above Lothal. I think Lothal will be the climax of this season as it's the capital of this sector, Governor Pryce's home base, and the most developed planet in the series so far. Its also the most likely to draw the Rebels out if punished or attacked. The reason I think Thrawn will die is because he's too good for his own good. Ultimately Thrawn will be able to defeat the rebels which is similar to the reasons I think Zahn kills him off in the Last Command. He would have won if not for a sudden betrayal, Kallus perhaps? Calls has shown disdain for Thrawn in the past. 

However I do think we're going to see significant losses for the rebels in the final climatic battle. I get the sense one of the main characters will die as well as maybe even the Ghost being destroyed. The Ghost is their home and a character in its own right and throughout the season so far we have seen Thrawn analyzing and the Empire training against it. Sato's going to die for sure, this last episode sealed his fate. I would personally kill of Hera. She's the one holding the crew together, her death would be the most devastating.    

At the end of every season of Rebels, a massive change happens. Events escalate and the rebellion evolves closer to what we know. From micro to macro. End of Season 1, they're no longer one ship of bandits operating around a single planet but larger a rebel cell operating within an entire sector. End of Season 2, instead of being a fleet always on the run the Rebel cell has established a more permanent base and seems to be in contact with other cells. With that escalation has always come a loss on both sides. Season 1/2 Grand inquisitor dies and they lose the Phoenix command ship. Season 2, they lose Ashoka (If she's not dead i'll eat my hat), and the inquisitors are all killed.   

I predict that there is going to be another big escalation at the end of this season leading into the beginning of season 4. The show isnt going to last forever and we're getting closer to the end of the series, we're basically just past the crest of the midpoint. We're two years out from the Battle of Yavin and the Rebellion is fairly centralized by the time of Rogue One and A New Hope and Filoni has said they will be leading the show more and more towards the tone and ideas of Rogue One. What will that escalation be though?

Well if the pattern of growth continues what can the rebels and Phoenix Cell grow into past a base and a small fleet? I think Phoenix Cell is going to finally join with other cells at the end of this season or at least be put on a path to join others. I loathe to say it but I do think it likely Thrawn will die (or Governor Pryce) and I think he will die in a battle above Lothal. I think Lothal will be the climax of this season as it's the capital of this sector, Governor Pryce's home base, and the most developed planet in the series so far. Its also the most likely to draw the Rebels out if punished or attacked. The reason I think Thrawn will die is because he's too good for his own good. Ultimately Thrawn will be able to defeat the rebels which is similar to the reasons I think Zahn kills him off in the Last Command. He would have won if not for a sudden betrayal, Kallus perhaps? Calls has shown disdain for Thrawn in the past. 

However I do think we're going to see significant losses for the rebels in the final climatic battle. I get the sense one of the main characters will die as well as maybe even the Ghost being destroyed. The Ghost is their home and a character in its own right and throughout the season so far we have seen Thrawn analyzing and the Empire training against it. Sato's going to die for sure, this last episode sealed his fate. I would personally kill of Hera. She's the one holding the crew together, her death would be the most devastating.    

Hera pilots the Ghost on a suicide dive to save her crew who then has to go into hiding for some reason (probably force-related). That would not be a bad way to end the show...

My theory: Rebels destroy the TIE factory on Lothal, it's a big battle resulting in a Phyrric victory for Rebels after Kalus betrays Thrawn, some secondary characters, like Sato, die, Tarkin is fed up, sends Thrawn somewhere else and orders a Base Delta Zero to accelerate the mining operation on Lothal, which uncovers a huge kyber crystal or maybe a just a lot of them, and it is our Rogue One tie-in. With Sato dead Hera becomes the leader of the Phoenix Fleet.

The plan to strike the factory has been mentioned in the first episode and they were looking for proton bombs in "The Last Battle" and in the preview of "The Wynkahthu Job".

Empire has a big mining enterprise going on on Lothal, what they collect seems to be top secret and really important ("No...There is another reason, known only to a few, and ordered by the Emperor, himself." ~Minister Tua). There is a Jedi temple on the planet, which implies the planet was important for the Order and according to the Catalyst huge kyber crystals were sometimes hidden in ancient Jedi temples. Catalyst and Ahsoka aslo give us the insight of how the Empire does mining when it wants the results fast - it involves nasty things that usually deprive the planet of all life.

And of course Lothal being prepared for the Base Delta Zero initiative was referenced multiple times back in Season 1.

EDIT.

I forgot "Breaking Ranks" from Season 1, the one with Ezra infiltrating the academy, he does that to get the location of a shipment of crystals. So yeah, it's confirmed they are mining kyber there.

Edited by eMeM

I'm not watching any episodes of the third season until after the season is done, and I don't follow this thread.
But since it's probably the place where it would be most appreciated, I'll share this here and then depart. I only ask you don't pester the guy, this is obviously all he can share and I've already given him all the info he needs.

Take it as you will, It's not a big reply but it's not nothing either.

Mon 2016-11-14 12:13 PM
To: G. Velasquez   (▒▒▒▒▒@▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Hi Gabriel,

This is a very comprehensive list.  Of course I can't tell you anything but I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,

Doug

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 11:25 AM, G. Velasquez <▒▒▒▒▒@▒▒▒▒▒▒> wrote:

Mr. Doug Chiang,

I don't know if you are aware of Fantasy Flight Game's Star Wars X-wing miniatures line. I suppose given that you work on Star Wars Rebels art that it's likely since FFG has done several of the TV shows ships for their miniatures game. 
But on the off chance that you hadn't, I wanted to both share them to make sure, and offer a suggestion about the other Star Wars ships that they had included in their game. The game now includes miniatures for the Rebels TV show's

• Ghost (VCX-100), 
  • Phantom (VCX-aux. starfighter), 
  • Gozanti (Imperial Assault Carrier), 
  • Shadow Caster (Lancer-class Pursuit Craft), 
  • Protectorate Starfighter, 
  • Inquisitor's TIE (TIE Adv. Prototype), 
  • and Sabine's painted TIE Fighter.
These other ship not unique to Rebels from the Star Wars universe have also been created for the game by FFG:
  • Tantive IV (CR90 Corvette), 
  • B-Wing, 
  • A-wing.
What I'm wondering and willing to suggest is if the other ships of the Star Wars universe that have been created in miniature form for FFG's X-wing miniatures game are ships that you have considered for the Rebel's TV show or if you would consider them? The remaining ships are listed below, with all GCW era ships they've made included but  with the duplicates (*) in the Scum & Villainy removed. The factions of the game are Imperial, Rebel, and Scum.

Rebel Alliance / Resistance

Small ShipsLarge ShipsHuge Ships
Galactic Empire / First Order

Small ShipsLarge ShipsHuge Ships
Scum & Villainy

Small ShipsLarge ShipsNow the reason I was inspired to write to you about this was not only as an altruistic FYI, but of course also because I have my own fan favorites in the Rebels show and in FFG's game. I'm hoping to some day see the Imperial Raider Corvette and the Imperial VT-49 Decimator make an appearance in Rebels. Of the Rebel's faction it would also be interesting to see a HWK-290 and some Z-95 Headhunters. For the S&V faction I don't have a favorite, but you might notice that the game has yet to decide on a Huge ship, so Jabba the Hutt's Star Jewel and the Star Jewel Guard would be a great addition to both show and game. Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestions. Keep up the great work.

Sincerely,
Gabriel

If you were watching this season you'd know at least 3 of those ships already made an appearance

Edit: this wasnt meant in a snarky tone

Well, given my effort, for that I wouldn't mind a spoiler;

which ones were they?

Actually I'm on the fence about knowing, I wouldn't mind the surprise later,

but I wouldn't mind knowing if they were additions because they knew of XWMG.

I don't assume that he was or wasn't thinking about game miniatures 

before I messaged him, but I hope that he enjoys them now if not before.

And I don't assume that he was thinking about any synergy between the

game miniatures and the TV show, but I hope I highlighted something

that he will consider from now on, both as an artist and collector, and gamer even.

Edited by gabe69velasquez

Wow... Am I the only one who thinks this episode felt like it was supposed to be a two-parter but they gutted the plot? I wonder if it was deemed a tad dark/heavy for younger audiences. Without fleshing out the new leader's motivations a little it just felt like the usual overplayed plot... Though it was nice seeing the kids realise how out of their depth they were.

(Being intentionally vague because I can't get spoilers to work right when posting from my tablet).

Yt-2400, TIE Interceptor, Y-wing

Oh, okay, well, then my cheerleading is not for nothing,

we could very well see the Decimator or Raider yet,... heck yeah!

I would fangirl too hard if the Raider makes it into any canon Star Wars work. Would be simply amazing if you moved the attention of someone in the position to make it so to the ship.

There was a post of a [part] colour sketch for the Iron Squadron YT-2400 on Facebook [not been able to track down the full image yet] - dated Sept last year - with those kind of lead times, I'm wondering if all the series 4 artwork has already been completed ?  :unsure:

...so it might be that any ships from the list that do appear will be a happy coincidence rather than any direct influence...but you never know how late they can make changes  ;)

Edited by ianmiddy

There was a post of a [part] colour sketch for the Iron Squadron YT-2400 on Facebook [not been able to track down the full image yet] - dated Sept last year - with those kind of lead times, I'm wondering if all the series 4 artwork has already been completed ?  :unsure:

...so it might be that any ships from the list that do appear will be a happy coincidence rather than any direct influence...but you never know how late they can make changes  ;)

15000181_675441805945779_252001941167193

I'm starting to half regret I keep checking here for replies.