Captain Lackwit

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread!

I have to question how they board the Phantom II when it is boarded to the Ghost, I'm guessing thy added a hatch so it can be entered from below like the Phantom I, because there is no way that rear hatch is able to open while docked.

Not sure if the 'solution' will be that the rear hatch opens as shown bottom-right below, and is rigged so the ramp doesn't extend when docked ?  :unsure:

...but, yes you're right, as discussed previously, they've added a floor hatch to match the Phantom 1 - also in use in the pic above docked to the YT-2400.

The_Last_Battle_concept_4.jpeg

Pardon my ignorance, but I see this thread has a host of followers, so it must be something substantial an there lies a possible angle that I could play to my advantage with your groups knowledge. And I do hereby promise not to poke fun at the cartoonish X-Wing ships (as I have in some other threads) that I can only assume got their genesis on the show that is praised herein. Although I love good-hearted banter and a hearty laugh, I also understand it is not polite to poke too much fun at that which you do not understand.

So here's my request for a basic overview, ie. a "Cliff Notes" version, so-to-speak. The issue at hand is my nephews watch this show (or at least two of them have spoken of it), so I'd like a working knowledge. So if someone could tell me the basics like, is it a cartoon or CGI?, Is it tied into the movie lore in any way? if so, where does it fall within the movies? Who's the antagonist? the protagonist? What is the overarching theme? (I'm assuming it is terrorist trying to overthrow the government as in the movie universe).

Anyway, I guess I could google or Wiki, or Wookie this, but I like this forum and you guys seem to be knee deep in it. Thanks!

Signed, the uninformed....

First question, have you seen the Clone Wars? cause i doubt you have based on your post, but if you have, it's very similar.

Nope, sorry.

That's okay, about half of them are unbearable to watch - and while most of those unbearable to watch ones are concentrated in the first three seasons, the latter three have some painful filler as well. What's super painful to me are the arcs where in the first episode you can clearly see what the storyline path is - and then they drag it out for THREE episodes of utter, mind-numbing blaster flashes. **** you, Umbara.

But of the other half, one fourth of them are utterly brilliant.

The main relation of Clone Wars to Rebels is that in Season 2 it brings back some characters from Clone Wars and wraps up their storylines - while still continuing the storylines of the main characters.

Rebels is, in a word, good. It's not great, but it has some great moments, nicely handled character development, good pacing, and oftentimes it pops up with something that you think is a filler episode which turns out to be important later on to the plot.

The primary annoyance to me in the first few episodes was Ezra being so transparently Space Aladdin; the first time I watched it I started singing, "One step, ahead of the breadline/One swing, ahead of the sword.." The other characters were interesting from the start, but he grated on me for the first two episodes. Then he started getting more interesting.

The only reasons to not watch it is if you're

1) A die-hard grognard clinging to the EU novels and shedding tears over the non-canon wyrwolves, won't someone think of the wyrwolves?!, or

2) Seriously cannot STAND CGI animation.

Hahahaha! Space Aladdin, iamfanboy you my friend are awesome! Seriously though I agree with everything that was said in this post. Rebels good not great but have some really cool story arcs and do great things with non mainstream Characters. Clone wars is hard to watch for the first little while but once you get used to the animation it really grows on you! It made me actually like Anakin and brought in one of my favourite Star Wars Characters Ahsoka (this coming from a guy who was raised on the original trilogy). Yeah Ezra was hard to watch, and actually, still is! 

I also must protest the pointy lightsabers, They have literally never been pointed, why are they in Rebels? Is it the type of animation or just complete and utter ignorance. I Digress

Rebels is awesome, watch it and see!

Edited by Showtimebrad

Even more reason for a "Rebels" pack with new sculpt YT-2400, crew, Phantom II & crew  ;) :

Iron_Squadron_10.jpg

Huh, that heavily resembles the one from Star Wars Galaxies.

I approve of their choice.

Dave Filoni said they got the Yt-2400's original designer to render this one.

That was a decent episode. I felt like the Ezra we saw in the previous episodes was gone though; he seemed much weaker and incapable. I guess that makes sense because this was a Sabine episode, but I am still a little disappointed. It is cool that Fenn Rau is involved now though, we will finally get some Phoenix Squadron Pilot training!

I think the power reduction on Ezra might be deliberate. He's not as potent when he's notnusing the Dark Side.

Even more reason for a "Rebels" pack with new sculpt YT-2400, crew, Phantom II & crew  ;) :

Iron_Squadron_10.jpg

Huh, that heavily resembles the one from Star Wars Galaxies.

I approve of their choice.

Dave Filoni said they got the Yt-2400's original designer to render this one.

Oh thank god. Now we have an indisputably canon YT-2400 design. About damned time.

Iron_Squadron_10.jpg

Ooooh!

Simple changes, really, but I like this WAY better than the current/previous version (FFG model).

This looks like the rest of Rebels' ships, somehow misproportioned, bulky, and off.

The FFG model looks like the video game models, ANH snippet, and what I think of. As great as it is to have a new source for Star Wars material, the art style is really off putting.

This looks like the rest of Rebels' ships, somehow misproportioned, bulky, and off.

The FFG model looks like the video game models, ANH snippet, and what I think of. As great as it is to have a new source for Star Wars material, the art style is really off putting.

I thought the same thing about TCW. The faces were so **** weird, I could barely watch it. But now-a-days, I don't even think about how Obi-wan's beard could drill for crude oil... it's like the "LSD-trip faces" never existed.

As for SW:Rebels, I think they have 85% of the ships on point.

What are the Mandolorean shows in the Clone Wars?

Which one has Sabine's mom?

Thanks

Well, we don't know yet who Sabine's mother is. There are a couple of possibilities, but nothing concrete.

The episodes to watch for Mandalorian storylines are:

- Season 2, episodes 12-14 (The Mandalore Plot, Voyage of Temptation, Duchess of Mandalore)

- Season 3, episodes 5-6 (Corruption, The Academy)

- Season 5, episodes 15-16 (Shades of Reason, The Lawless)

The first arc introduces the situation in Mandalore and the main players. The second shows that corruption runs deeper in the Mandalorian government than the Republic suspected and the third kinda sets fire to everything.

Though these are the strictly Mandalorian stories, it helps - especially for the last arc - to watch some other episodes as well. Particularly, the Asajj Ventress arc that runs through the series introduces elements that lead into the final Mandalore arc in interesting and unexpected ways. (I'm desperately trying to avoid spoilers here...)

There are also unmade arcs that would have continued the story. One was made into a comic book series - Son of Dathomir - (one of the possibilities for Sabine's mother appears in this) and the other would have been the series finale, 'Siege of Mandalore'. Events from that story are alluded to in a few episodes of Rebels and you see a glimpse of it in the Ashoka novel.

To be honest, the best recommendation I can make is just to watch the Clone Wars. I know a lot of people have strong opinions about lots of it being less than brilliant, and it does take some time to find its feet. But it's almost always entertaining and enjoyable, and watching it all, the characters do grow and evolve, particularly Ashoka, Ventress and, perhaps surprisingly, Anakin.

Edited by Graeme Lyon

Are any of these episodes the Asajj Ventress arcs that you mentioned?

The most relevant episodes to get the whole picture of what's going on would be:

– Season 3, episodes 12-14 (Nightsisters, Monster, Witches of the Mist)

– Season 4, episodes 19-22 (Massacre, Bounty*, Brothers, Revenge)

– Season 5, episode 1 (Revival)

– Season 5, episode 14 (Eminence)

Basically, these chart a massive change in situation for Ventress (and are among the very best episodes of the entire run, in my opinion), part of which introduces a new character with a close connection to an existing character, who then causes problems for Mandalore… The episode marked with an asterisk (*) isn't really part of this story, but it does provide some sense of closure to Ventress's story (though she does return later in the superb final arc of season 5 and the novel 'Dark Disciple' both of which I would recommend).

So, um, yeah. All of that, I think. If you want more of a grounding on who Ventress is and what she does before the change in her circumstances in 'Nightsisters', then there's also S1E1 (Ambush), S1E9 (Cloak of Darkness), S1E16 (The Hidden Enemy), S3E2 (ARC Troopers) and the movie.

Hope that helps!

Thanks

Well, we don't know yet who Sabine's mother is. There are a couple of possibilities, but nothing concrete.

Just wanted to say, there is a Rebels Recon video on the official Youtube channel where Dave Filoni is asked about Sabine's mother.  He states that she is one of the Mandalorians in the throne room that kneels to Darth Maul when he kills Pre Viszla during the Clone Wars.

Will she be anything more than that, though?

Thanks

Just wanted to say, there is a Rebels Recon video on the official Youtube channel where Dave Filoni is asked about Sabine's mother.  He states that she is one of the Mandalorians in the throne room that kneels to Darth Maul when he kills Pre Viszla during the Clone Wars.

Well by virtue of being a mother of a main character she will have a name unlike the other generic mandalorians there in the room.

Thanks

Well by virtue of being a mother of a main character she will have a name unlike the other generic mandalorians there in the room.

I'm comfortable speculating that it's Rook Kast. Seems a decent fit. Also, rooks and wrens are both birds. :P I kept it vague in my reply to Ken at Sunrise because I was throwing quite enough info at him for one post... :)

Thanks

I'm comfortable speculating that it's Rook Kast. Seems a decent fit. Also, rooks and wrens are both birds. :P I kept it vague in my reply to Ken at Sunrise because I was throwing quite enough info at him for one post... :)

But the unnamed female mandolorians are members of the night owls, and Sabine's mom being one of Bo's loyalists would make more sense given the 'shes joined us' speach Saxon gave in rebels.