Sign in to follow this  
Nemomon

The Deep Realms Expansion

Got mine today.  Really like this expansion. another place to get treasures besides the dungeon. will include this in my game this saturday

ONly question.  What are the "adjacent" spaces in the dungeon and City that connect to the mini-maps?

For those who already got the expansion, could you just simply tell us how it works. I mean the mechanics with the treasures and the objects guarded by the bosses. You randomly draw some treasures and put it on the Wraith Lord space and do the same with objects from the Armoury and the Magic Emporium shop which you put on the Rat Queen space?

I received mine, yesterday, Thursday in the US, and immediately went through it. I like it very much and think some of the new cards are KILLER.  Yes, at setup, random treasures and armoury/emporium items are placed on those spots.

I like the fact that it covers Terrain cards, Dragon Scales and such, easily.(NEVER PLACED IN REALMS) Realm cards operate like Timescape spaces in that, you don't encounter other characters - the Realm is large and you are somewhere else from other characters.

I would say it is very challenging, due to bonuses that Rat Queen, rats, Spirits, etc. get.  So the lure of the treasure must be balanced by a serious look at your levels.

Well I couldn't stand it any longer! No Deep Realms on sale from the UK... Screw it I just bought it straight from FFG. Oh please don't take forever to get here and PLEASE slide through Customs without any extra costs :D (fingers crossed on all fronts)

For those who already got the expansion, could you just simply tell us how it works. I mean the mechanics with the treasures and the objects guarded by the bosses. You randomly draw some treasures and put it on the Wraith Lord space and do the same with objects from the Armoury and the Magic Emporium shop which you put on the Rat Queen space?

yes

Wraith lord has craft 4 and adds 1 to his craft for each treasure card (face up) on the space. You start with 3 random treasures placed face up in the throne room.  if you lose, in addition to losing 1 craft and one life, another random treasure card is placed in the space.  if it is a stand off, or your are defeated, you go to the hall of darkness.  If you win you get to pick a treasure of your choice and teleport to the outer rim.  you also cannot evade, nor use spells or objects to fight in your place against the wraith lord.

The Rat Queen has Strength 3 and plus one for each object in the nest.  To start two random objects each are taken from both the Armory and Magic Emporium (total of 4) and placed face up.  you also cannot evade, nor use spells or objects to fight in your place against the Rat QUeen.  If you win, you take an object of your choice from the objects in the nest, and teleport to the outer region.  if you lose, you must ditch one of his objects at random, as well as one life.  Also if it is a stand off, or you are defeated you go to the Rat's road in the city

Just a thought, but considering that we people who have the original Black Industries board have a slightly smaller main board, I am assuming this will mean a problem fitting the Deep Realms around the board. Not a huge deal to have a small space there, just makes the question of purchasing the newer board closer to a yes than a no.

Just a thought, but considering that we people who have the original Black Industries board have a slightly smaller main board, I am assuming this will mean a problem fitting the Deep Realms around the board. Not a huge deal to have a small space there, just makes the question of purchasing the newer board closer to a yes than a no.

It fits with a little overlap. There was a player with the smaller board in testing and it caused no issues.

I like the new 'trap' event card in Deep Realms, but as usual, my wife and I disagree about its interaction with other mechanisms in our game:

Since, Blood Moon, we let events trigger a change in the Day / Night cycle. There are Lunar event cards in that set that specifically tell you if it becomes day or night, but the rules in general call for all event cards to switch day for night and vice a versa.

My feeling is that a 'trap' event should not trigger the day/night cycle. But my wife wants it to change the cycle.

Has anyone else thought about this, in terms of using Blood Moon with this expansion or in general?

Other than that, the 'trap' cards are quite nasty, umm challenging.

I am not the best in rules, but did recently find:

Regular Events, regardless of how many are drawn, cause the Time Card to flip only once, after all cards are drawn, before encounters begin (pg 2). Not true with Lunar Event cards tho, you must flip for each one.

Question:  If Treasure cards are placed randomly on the armoury/emporium spaces, does that mean they cannot be drawn from the Dark Lord?  It would be awesome if that was the case because it can potentially stop players from going through dungeon, killing the Dark Lord and teleporting to CoC for the quick win.

I think you missunderstood rfisha's question - if I'm correct it is: Since you take 3 random treasure cards and put them on the "Deep Realms space", does that mean if you defeat the Lord of Darkness at the end of the dungeon, you can't take these 3 random cards as a reward there anymore? (or the cards on the other space from the shop decks in the city)

While it is not covered in the rules, logic would dictate that you can't take them.

Which does in turn lead to (if one of those cards would be the Cloak of Feathers) that card not being available unless you get it via defeating the Wrath Lord (as well as not being able to buy these items from the shops in the city).

Ah. Though that is why I said the remainder are available there.

No, the Wraith Lord has pilfered those Treasure cards from The Lord of Darkness. It adds a certain twist to both the City and Dungeon, as the good old Flail/Cloak of Feathers etc might not be so easy to come by.

Edited by talismanisland

I think you missunderstood rfisha's question - if I'm correct it is: Since you take 3 random treasure cards and put them on the "Deep Realms space", does that mean if you defeat the Lord of Darkness at the end of the dungeon, you can't take these 3 random cards as a reward there anymore? (or the cards on the other space from the shop decks in the city)

While it is not covered in the rules, logic would dictate that you can't take them.

Which does in turn lead to (if one of those cards would be the Cloak of Feathers) that card not being available unless you get it via defeating the Wrath Lord (as well as not being able to buy these items from the shops in the city).

Yes that is exactly what I was referring to.  

Ah. Though that is why I said the remainder are available there.

No, the Wraith Lord has pilfered those Treasure cards from The Lord of Darkness. It adds a certain twist to both the City and Dungeon, as the good old Flail/Cloak of Feathers etc might not be so easy to come by.

Nice!  That adds a nice twist to what has become some routine strategies for victory in Talisman 4th edition.

Ordered and waiting arrival :)