Sign in to follow this  
BattleZone

is it me or..

is this the most complicated card game...ever (besides the star wars CCG)

my eyes turn blurry just watching the tutorials and trying to grok this game

what is the easiest way to learn this game? I dont even understand the victory conditions

I can definitely be fairly daunting looking at it from the outside.  I'll do me best to help you out.  Have you read the rulebook yet?  If not, definitely start there and follow along with FFG's tutorial videos located on this website.

If you've already done that, could you elaborate more or detail more of what you don't understand?  The easiest way to learn is by finding someone that A) Is experience in the game and B) Is patient as the teach new players can take time and multiple games.

To answer your first question about victory conditions:

Corporation:

1.  Reach 7 Agenda points by advance and scoring agendas in remote servers

2.  Flatline the runner by forcing them to discard a card/s (damage) when/if they have no cards in hand (Ex 4 damage will kill a runner with 3 or fewer cards in their hand).

Runner:

1.  Steal 7 Agenda points from the corporation by successfully running and accessing them from central and remote servers

2.  Force the corp to draw a card when they have no cards left in R&D (their deck).  This also include the corp's mandatory draw.

Definitions:

Central Servers - HQ (Hand), R&D (Deck), and Archives (Discard Pile) are all considered central servers

Remote Servers - Any server that is not a central server

Does that help a little bit up front?  Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

It helps to visualize the game in terms of narrative. It's about a hacker trying to get into a corporation's network.

The corporation has servers: their deck, their hand, their discard pile, and any number of subsidiary "remote" servers. 

Ice is used to protect those servers. They represent firewalls and countermeasures to keep hackers at bay. 

The hacker player is trying to hack into the corporation's servers and steal their secret plans before they're brought to fruition. The corporation is trying to advance those plans to completion before the hacker can wreck their ambitions.

The hacker doesn't know anything about the corporation's plans and traps, which is why almost all Corp cards are played face down, and the corporation must pay money to turn them on. By contrast, the runner plays cards face up, and has to pay the cost up front.

Once the runners feel like they have a sufficiently robust rig, or have cards which will otherwise allow them to circumvent the corporation's defenses, they can make an attempt to break into the corporation's system. They choose a server, central or otherwise, and they run it to see what's inside. If they succeed, they reveal corporate cards found therein, and steal agendas if they are lucky enough to stumble upon them.

One thing that distinguishes Netrunner is that time is a factor: each player can only do a limited number of things on their turn. These are your "clicks," the ticking clock. If you have to, you can click to draw, click for $1 worth of credits, click to install a card, or click to make a run. (Most cards don't require a click to use once they're on the table, unless they say otherwise.)

Yeah I have spent a week watching vids but wont get my first playthrough till this weekend. 

Do the expansions add new hackers and corps? Or is that always the same?

I guess what is confusing is when cards say things like:

"If Snare is accessed through R&D, the Runner Must reveal it"

What does that even mean? I know runners can make a run on the "DECK" or R&D, but what does that card mean? isnt that an ICE card? If so how could it be accessed from the Draw Deck?

They expansions do add new identities, they're always part of one of the existing factions, though.

As for you other questions, familiarizing yourself with the language the game uses can take some time but once you do, effects like that are pretty straightforward. 

As you've correctly said, the runner can make a Run on R&D. If that run is successful, he gets to look at, and interact with, the top card. That is called "accessing". The reason the Runner has to reveal Snare! is that it does something when it's accessed (the second ability), and since the Corporation doesn't usually know what's on top of their deck, it needs to be revealed for them to know what's happening.

Snare also isn't an Ice, it's an Asset (although any type of card, including Ice can be accessed). You can tell fairly easily by looking at the layout, Ice is the only type of card with text printed vertically along the edge on the left side and text above the art. Besides, cards have their type printed on them. 

Ah oops ok I see now. And assets COULD be played on top of other remote servers? But if that server is not R&D then snare wouldnt really do anything except whats listed below that "if accessed through R&D" part

The expansions do include new IDs, but no new factions.

Snare! is not ICE, it's actually an Asset (with the subtype of Ambush). It's a bad card for the Runner to encounter, as you'll see as you learn the game!

When the Runner 'makes a run'; they choose one of the Corp's servers to hack. One of the servers (R&D) is represented by the Corp's draw pile. Assuming that run is successful, the Runner gets to access (and potentially steal) the top card of R&D. If that card is an Agenda, the Runner steals it, scoring precious points and getting closer to victory.

If that card is a Snare! however, they must reveal it and give the Corp the chance to activate the ability.

EDIT haha thoroughly Ninja'd, that's what happens when posting at work.

The Corp can still trigger Snare! from a remote (or even HQ) - the card only has a special clause when accessed from R&D because usually the Runner doesn't reveal the card accessed.

Edited by CommissarFeesh

the "must reveal when accessed" becomes much more intuitive once you realize that accessing R&D doesn't show the card to the corp. The player literally picks up the card, and while keeping its back to him, shows it to the runner and (in my neck of the woods) asks "Yours, Mine, or Trash?"

The runner says "Mine" if it is an agenda they can steal. They say "yours" if they can't steal it or can't/don't want to trash it, or "Trash" if they do want it gone. 

Or they sigh with deep existential despair and say "reveal," showing both players that it's a Snare, Shock, or Fetal AI that is about to do bad things to them.

Ah oops ok I see now. And assets COULD be played on top of other remote servers? But if that server is not R&D then snare wouldnt really do anything except whats listed below that "if accessed through R&D" part

Yeah, you can install Assets in other servers (I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "on top"), in fact, it's what you want to do in order to use most of them. As for Snare!, you should probably remember that what's listed below the "if accessed through R&D" part is the whole point. Let me bring it up:

ffg_snare-core.png

That second part is what you want it to do (do 3 damage and give the Runner a Tag), and it still does that even if it's in your hand or installed in a remote server. The first paragraph exists only so the Corporation knows the second one is taking effect.

Edited by AmtsboteHannes

Ok One last question. Was wondering if this ever happens when you play:

You approach ICE. You try to break it as a Runner. Have you ever seen where the Runner does not have the proper cards in his hand to break certain types of ICE at all. So lets say are there there decks of nothing but Code Gates and have you ever been stuck as a Runner with Ice Breakers without the Break Code Gate subroutine. If so what would happen

If a runner was without a Decoder or AI breaker and was running into Code Gates which end the run, then the runner is very likely going to lose. Remember that you don't *need* an icebreaker to get past ice unless that ice has an End The Run subroutine. 

So, clearly the lesson is the runner to be prepared for anything while deckbuilding. Don't build a deck that doesn't have a game plan for coping with such challenges.

What happens more often is that the runner has lost an important breaker to a corporate Destroyer ice or a Power Shutdown and has no means to either search their deck for another copy or to retrieve the card from the Heap. Worst of all would be losing your breaker after already drawing and discarding the other copies. 

At that point, the runner is forced to pressure what servers he is able to break into. If the runner knows he's never getting into R&D ever again due to an ice he can't pass, then you have to shift focus to catching Agendas while they're in HQ, or getting into the remote servers once agendas are installed. 

Ah I didnt know about the ICE just being able to still be fought through. Didnt think there were ICE cards with no END RUN. So basically you could get slapped around through all the subroutines on an ICE with no END RUN and still get past it but be really beat up as you go on to the next one

Edited by Pvthudson