Sign in to follow this  
TheJrade

Models not to scale

Is anyone else not as interested in this game upon finding out that the models will not be made to scale?   One of the reasons I have collected way too many XWM miniatures to play with is that I formerly had a spare shelf or two in my hobby room.

Interesting question.

Am I disappointed? Yep!

Will it stop me collecting and playing? Nope.

Truth is the models will likely be used in RPG games, made into video storyboards. While gaming, scale isn't a big deal, but I fear a comically under-scaled star destroyer in videos.

At the same time, if FFG made Custom Corvettes and Gozanti Cruisers, perhaps added some other huge ships to X-Wing, then I wouldn't bother with Armada much, if at all.

By the way, I am aware that the huge ships are not exactly in scale. But not to the same extreme as Armada. Tantive IV still looks impressive compared to the other ships.

That's funny... Tative IV looks mighty impressive in Armada too... 2/3 the size of a Nebulon B cruiser! It really does give a false sense of what the ship should be capable of... Hmmm... Now that I think about it, maybe that's why it has over the top stats?

That's funny... Tative IV looks mighty impressive in Armada too... 2/3 the size of a Nebulon B cruiser! It really does give a false sense of what the ship should be capable of... Hmmm... Now that I think about it, maybe that's why it has over the top stats?

Thats exactly why Im going to replace mine with two 1/10,000 scale models on the stand. They will be in scale and more reasonable for the stats. Im doing two stands of CR-90s that way.

I plan on replacing the miniature of the Tantive IV as well, just to make it look more to scale next to the other ships. Since my gaming group and I don't play tournament style we will probably house rule the ship's stats down to make it reflect more of what it could really be expected to do in combat. 

All this time and no one has good measurements of these ships... You would think somebody would be able to get a **** good estimate based off of the many photos out there... Someone has to know the math to figure this out... Right?

I think one of the reasons that inaccurate scaling bugs me is because not only can ships start to look ridiculous on the table (see attack wing) but players that are not as familiar with some of these ships tend to judge a ship's chances based off of its size compared to their opponent. My friends wife does this all the time in attack wing... Complaining that her ship was bigger and should have won... Has anyone else run into this problem... Or is my group alone in this?

I'm inclined not to buy Armada because the scale is off. The idea of using the 1/10,000 corvette sounds good however.

It bothers me that FFG has not used the right scale for this game. Mainly because imo they did a good job with X-Wing. From the pictures, I also noticed that the scale for Imperial Assault is off. Have a look at the models of Luke and Darth Vader. They are both the same size, while this is clearly not the case in movies. 

Gives me the idea that FFG is in a hurry to put these games on the market at the expense of good quality.

I don't think it is anything to do with rushing or quality....frankly, making a corvette 3cm long (a random number, dont for a second think i know the size!) or 1.5cm long takes the exact same time and resources.

No, it's a deliberate decision, and one unfortunately i agree with. As great as true scale is in x-wing, it's highly impractical in fleet games.

Firstly, some canon ship sizes simply do not make any sense with the armaments, crew and fighter complements the ships supposedly have. The Nebulon-B for example has been broken down in great detail by scary people with far more maths and nerd love (in a positive way) than i could dream of. It simply does not fit 24 fighters, plus the shuttles and assault ships it supposedly carries. It just....doesn't.

More importantly though, the size disparity in capital ships is enormously larger than fighters.

Take the Corvette for example. Say a Victory is 10cm (not far off the one I saw, though i cant be too accurate). That makes a Corvette 1.67cm. Nobody is going to buy that, and it would be lost on the bases the game uses.

Sure, we could change the bases too, but that means changing the rules, and so on. It snowballs.

Ultimately the decision was made for game playability, as well as for making better looking, more detailed ships for most people and therefore increase sales. FFG are expecting that the majority would prefer to have ships they can see on the table and appreciate the detail on rather than some large ships surrounded by tiny minnows, and personally it seems like a good option to me.

I get the disappointment, but the reasons are sound in my opinion. Obviously, and as always, opinions will vary and all are equally valid.

I find it confusing that people are harping on about how they love the "true" scale of x-wing, and yet that is a misnomer. Both the A-Wing and the CR-90 are not to scale, for the exact same reasons that armada has the dynamic scale for its miniatures.

Lets also remember the CR-90, as a "Blockade Runner", is supposed to be a small, hotted up, overgunned hole punch against large lumbering capital ships maintaining a line

What happened with the A-Wing was that FFG went with canon specs... Those specs look way off, but that is a Lucas Arts issue... Somebody probably forgot to carry a 1 when determining the length, or some other such mistake ;-)

Edited by Cannis0013

Hey, I'm as much - or more - of a Scale Nazi as anyone else hereabouts.

But WHY do folks always seem to think a Star Wars capital ship game will, or even CAN be done in pure scale? Its simply not practical. I mean, just kinda think about the ship list for a minute or two. The best that can be done is make "relative scale" not look ridiculous.

WotC's Starship Battles failed in part because it did look ridiculous. Unfortunately, I do think FFG could have done better as well.

We'll be better able to debate the practical factors when we physically see the models, though.

The reason some of us think they can be in scale is because it has been done. There was a garage manufacturer who did ships from the blockade runner all the way up to an ISD in a consistent 1/10,000 scale. I have a number of his models. They are very well done and I will be replacing FFG models, like the blockade runner, with them so I can have a more reasonable scale effect.

Do you happen to have a link to his website?

I agree with Extropia's point, more or less. In terms of both playability and marketability, what we're getting is probably the best we could hope for.

The problem is that we're meant to get a feel for a type of war that the Galactic Civil War was not. If this game tried to simulate the Galactic Civil War as accurately to the broader canon as possible, the game wouldn't be any fun. This was not a war of comparable equals, like WWII, or even the American Revolution. It's more like the US vs. al Qaeda or the Nazis vs. the French resistance, without allied support. That does not a fun fleet game make.

If there is a scale issue, it's hard to see. Granted, the CR-90 is too large, but if it were smaller it'd be practically non-existant :L

The Imperial ship in the core set is the Victory-II class, NOT the ISD that swallows the CR-90 at the start of A New Hope.

Here is a screenshot from EaW (the Victory-II is above the ISD, beneath the Mk.II assault frigate):

710848-925180_20060202_001.jpg

Edited by Rhinoviru3

There seems to be a great deal of debate regarding the dimensions of fighters and star-ships: What source is regarded as canon?  On a bet, I would guess a lot of the debate stems from us using different sources.

Our group has been using Wookiepedia.  How reliable a source is that?  What is everyone else using please?

Edited by Commander Kahlain

There seems to be a great deal of debate regarding the dimensions of fighters and star-ships: What source is regarded as canon?  On a bet, I would guess a lot of the debate stems from us using different sources.

Our group has been using Wookiepedia.  How reliable a source is that?  What is everyone else using please?

Canonicity is a can of worms, especially since Disney wiped the slate clean with the exception of the movies and the cartoons, neither of which seem to have consistent sizing. Basically, it's up to you to decide your order of canon.

Wookieepedia is a battlefield, not a source. That said, I use it a lot. Also, lengths are (usually) cited so that you can track down where the numbers are coming from. If there's debate about the size, you might find that in a debate page attached.