Sign in to follow this  
TheJrade

Models not to scale

Is anyone else not as interested in this game upon finding out that the models will not be made to scale?   One of the reasons I have collected way too many XWM miniatures to play with is that I formerly had a spare shelf or two in my hobby room.  

I was looking forward to this game simply to collect the ships.  Since they aren't in scale, I won't participate.  Doesn't mean the game is bad or anything, and quite frankly, I think they probably need to do it, but still ...  :(

Is anyone else not as interested in this game upon finding out that the models will not be made to scale?   One of the reasons I have collected way too many XWM miniatures to play with is that I formerly had a spare shelf or two in my hobby room.  

For me, it's irrelevant.  Game play >>> scale.

As long as they look ok on the table I'm ok with it.

So say the VSD is 5-6 inches long, a 8 inch ISD would not look good. A 10+ inch one on the other hand would, even if it's not completely correct sale wise.

After thinking about this for a while, I agree with this sentiment.  I just don't think, after looking at what has already been published, that this is going to be the case.

I'm mostly saying that while I may get a few ships, it won't be the huge fleet of XWM ships that I currently have.   I.e. more than I could ever reasonably play with.   I wonder what the over/under numbers on it was, and why they decided to go that way as I always found it to be one of the coolest things about XWM.

Hey, I'm as much - or more - of a Scale Nazi as anyone else hereabouts. 

But WHY do folks always seem to think a Star Wars capital ship game will, or even CAN be done in pure scale? Its simply not practical. I mean, just kinda think about the ship list for a minute or two. The best that can be done is make "relative scale" not look ridiculous.

WotC's Starship Battles failed in part because it did look ridiculous. Unfortunately, I do think FFG could have done better as well. 

We'll be better able to debate the practical factors when we physically see the models, though.

You do realize the scale in X-wing isn't 100% accurate right?

The Epic ships aren't 1:270.

Even some of the small based ships are off. Hold an A-wing next to a Y-wing and tell me the scale is perfect.

While I do think that the Corvette is a little big compared to the ships we have seen, I do have to hold off my final judgement til I see it in person. I think as long as the gameplay plays to scale, I will like this game.

Even some of the small based ships are off. Hold an A-wing next to a Y-wing and tell me the scale is perfect.

The scale is perfect... if you accept the numbers FFG was given to work with. I'm not going to get into the argument again if that's true or not. But when FFG made the A-Wing the Canon size was 9.6m, so that's how big FFG made it.

You can argue all you want that the canon size is wrong, I won't get into that. But FFG didn't have any option but to use the canon size, and the A-Wing is most definitely the correct scale size for that value.

But WHY do folks always seem to think a Star Wars capital ship game will, or even CAN be done in pure scale? Its simply not practical. I mean, just kinda think about the ship list for a minute or two. The best that can be done is make "relative scale" not look ridiculous.

WotC's Starship Battles failed in part because it did look ridiculous. Unfortunately, I do think FFG could have done better as well.

We'll be better able to debate the practical factors when we physically see the models, though.

The reason some of us think they can be in scale is because it has been done. There was a garage manufacturer who did ships from the blockade runner all the way up to an ISD in a consistent 1/10,000 scale. I have a number of his models. They are very well done and I will be replacing FFG models, like the blockade runner, with them so I can have a more reasonable scale effect. Edited by Thalomen

I think scale matters so much to this community because the opening sequence of ANH was all about scale - about that big ISD swallowing up the corvette.

And because we're guys who want to compare sizes....   maybe.

Anyway, I'm going to say that scale matters in this game because so many of the ways in which we've enjoyed Star Wars, from that opening scene, to the size of the Executor compared to the ISDs, to what we saw in the computer games, etc., size and scale have been a big part of that.

All that said - and to walk back what I wrote above - I just hope that they can apply a somewhat consistent sliding scale. I do find it interesting that in their Wave I announcement, they make a point of mentioning the sizes. So, given that size seem to matter to them more than it matters to Yoda (for whom it matters not), I'm going to stake my faith on the notion that they'll make these ships is a somewhat consistent regressive sliding scale (the larger, the smaller the scale along a linear function).

I wish they were to scale, it does bother me that they aren't. Especially when they could of so easily made them all to scale. But I guess that will make it easier for them to add in SSD's and other obscenely huge ships. Either way I'm just happy to finally have the chance to get Victory class Star Destroyer model. Been wanting a model of a Vic Star since 1994 when I first saw one in the TIE Fighter PC game.

I'm fine with the relative scale used in Armada. If the Victory was properly to scale with the CR90 in the core set, it would be a much bigger model, inevitably driving up costs. Inversely, if the smaller capital ships were to scale with the Victory, they'd be bloody tiny, and probably not as striking looking as they are now. And well, there probably wouldn't be fighter squadrons.

Also, it's made abundantly clear by the relative scale that the victory's much larger, and it does take up a larger portion of the board, with different movements and all. And all of the miniatures are gorgeous, scale or not. Anyway, I'll wait and play a couple of games but I'm sure it'll be absolutely fine without a perfect scale. Don't know if I'll display them like my X-Wing minis when not using them, but we'll see...

That Victory is getting put on shelf when not needed though. I love Victories.

It does bother me. I get that you can't have perfect scale, but the Corvette and the Frigate look silly to my geek eye. They could have done a better job with their sliding scale decision making imho.

I played the original X-wing Game to death, so I can't help but see the difference as I'm used to thinking of these ships in terms of being in a snub fighter making strafing runs. I'm betting that the scale will take me out of game immersion as my sub conscious will constantly be thinking, "that doesn't look right."

I'm definitely going to give the game a shot as the rules look very well done. I'll also buy a pack of the rebel fighters in order to paint them up, but I'm not sure if I will buy heavy into this game.

X-Wing is already taking a lot of my time, and I'm considering playing Imperial Assault and painting up a bunch of the minis. There is only so much time and money to be spent.

If this game had scale more agreeable to me, I'd be more excited. Still I'm reserving my final decision until i play it.

Dang, a lot of talk about scale. Not a lot about how there is only one named squad leader for each fighter type in the expansion packs. As far as I can tell this means only X-wings and TIE Fighters will have two named squad leaders. Funky.

EDIT: Whoops sorry! :S Thought I was in the Wave 1 announcement thread. My bad.

Edited by ForceSensitive

I'm building my 1989-era model kit for the Star Destroyer. At 15", it's a little small compared to the CR-90 miniature, but it's at a scale that I think should work. :D

However, to move this thread beyond complaining, do we have some measurements on the models, so that we might be able to calculate (roughly) what their sliding scale slope might be?

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

I am also very interested in the model measurements... I would like to try to fill in some of the smallet ships with Shapeways miniatures... For better scale... But I need the measurement of the Victory as a baseline

Relative scale was the smart choice, unfortunately.

Fixed scale in X-Wing was perfect, but the size differences in Armada are vastly more pronounced. With a fixed scale, there would be instant problems about some models either being too big (and too expensive), or tiny insignificant things.

Whether the sliding scale has got the ratios right is another matter, but i can say it looks **** fine on the tabletop :)

I dont have a problem with a dynamic scale as long as the ships are within a reasonable range to allow suspension of disbelief during gaming. This is the reason why I hate Star Trek: Attack Wing, with its reuse of the crappy heroclix miniatures where everything is the same size. I ended up buying it and some expansions and replacing the ships with 1/2500 models and X-wing large ship bases in the end. (and completely overhauling the game mechanics, but thats another story).

So in short, as long as ships that should be bigger than other ships are actually bigger then said other ships, I will be happy - while it would be nice to have an ISD that the corvette could fit inside, I wont be not buying the game if it wont quite fit in there!. :)

Edited by MaverickNZ

The only ship size that bothers me is the Corvette, and since i'll be mowing them down with my Imperial Turbolasers, a round or two of minor annoyance before i snuff them out is meh at best. I for one love the fact that the Nebulon looks bigger. Its a terrible design for a combat ship to begin with, and was too small for the starfighter complement and weapons it carried (canon-wise).