Sign in to follow this  
player645901

Darn lucky dice rolls!

I just love sharing amusing stories from my game, and so far it has been pretty cooperative in providing them!

SPOILERS FOR EDGE OF DARKNESS

So, this weekend I ran the finale of Edge of Darkness for my group. They had found out about the Alms house, killed a few Enforcers, and struck a deal with Luntz, so they had all the pass keys and a bunch of shotguns. Well, the only one in the group actually skilled in SP weapons was the Assassin, so they gave all three shotguns to her, after seeing that they were a 2Full reload and only 2 shells per clip, figuring she could just shoot off both shells, drop one gun and pull out the next, shoot those and throw that gun away, then shoot the last gun. Saves time!

So they sneak into the Alms House through the back door. It's the middle of the day, and they convinced Luntz to make a diversion, so all the Enforcers run off and the place is more or less deserted. Aside from a side trip to the Protein Room (which resulted in three failed fear tests and the Assassin puking all over the place humerously) they went upstairs, completely bypassed Moran's  office and the Homonculi on the 2nd floor, and went right up to the third.

Finding the big locked door, they hid on the bloody gurneys under the sheets until the Homonculite in the operating theater came out, and then destroyed him with lasgun fire in one round. Taking his passkey, they entered the Operating Theater and confronted the Churgeon.

I was expecting this to be a difficult fight for them. There were no Enforcers, true, but they had only killed two Body Snatchers, so there was the Churgeon, her Scalpel Familiar, and 8 Body Snatchers in the room, vs the three of them, an Assassin, a Psyker, and a Tech-priest.

The Churgeon sends the Scalpel Familiar after the players. It runs up, but only can make it to two squares away, so can't attack that first round. The Assassin, of course, unloads a shotgun blast into it at point-blank range.

Modified, she had to beat like a 75. She rolled a 13. Six degrees of success. With the scatter rule, she scored four hits. In addition, one of those was a 10, so she rolled righteous fury and got another hit. With all the damage added together, she did 32 wounds to the thing in one shot. It has 8 wounds and 8 armor/toughness. That would put it at -16. Needless to say, it exploded into a pile of metal fragments instantly.

At this point, the Churgeon is basically like "OH CRAP." She activates all the body snatchers, but they are slow as crap. They shamble after the players, but they manage to keep moving and none of the snatchers gets off a single attack. Meanwhile, the Assassin is unloading her shotgun at the Churgeon THROUGH the table with the still-living test subject on it.

In the end, the Churgeon set the place to blow and escaped, and the Acolytes got out. But for what I was expecting to be a really hard fight.. they WRECKED the place. It was pretty awesome.

I feel your pain, when I ran my group through Edge the end combat lasted all of one round, thanks to an extreamly luck Frag Grenade.

If I can remember correctly I think it did something the the region of 50 damage to the Scalpel Familiar, and knocked the Churgeon clean out. Then then Acolytes proceded to riddle her with las-holes until she burst into flame... Ahh good times

Remember that each extra hit from the Scatter trait is just that: an extra hit. It's not another 1d10+4 damage on top of the initial damage roll, but an entirely new 1d10+4 damage hit, and armour and toughness reduces the damage of each hit. So, for 4 hits, each of those shots would be doing a maximum of 6 damage. Righteous Fury damage, however, DOES stack on top of the hit that triggered it (though it's "only" an extra 1d10 damage). Chances are the RF hit alone would have crippled the thing, but overall it wouldn't have been plunged to -16. Shotguns are very, very good at point blank range (Combat Shotguns even more so), but against armoured targets they loose alot of their punch. Same with weapons firing on full auto. Which is where Accurate weapons come in, of course.