Sign in to follow this  
mikeespo

X-wing book series

Nothing is as good as the Thrawn trilogy, except perhaps Zahn's other novels.

The first Rogue book is fairly slow. If you finish it and still dislike it, I'd recommend trying Wraith Squadron. Allston makes you care for the whole squadron rather than just for a few characters.

I wish they had made a couple of movies or even a TV show about the Rogues. Although it would probably been similar to Black Sheep Squadron. Of course that was one of my favorite shows.

Oh, man, I LOVED Black Sheep Squadron, way back when!

However, while the name 'Rogue Squadron' fits the Black Sheep idea, I don't think of the Rogue Squadron members as really fitting that bill. The characters (thus far, for me) are a bit bland.

They focus too much on Corran for the first 4, so if you don't care for him you're in trouble. Its really bad in books 1 and 2, but it starts to branch out more in 3 and 4. Books after that switch to an almost entirely new cast of characters (except Wedge) and shares the wealth a bit more in the character development area.

I wish they had made a couple of movies or even a TV show about the Rogues. Although it would probably been similar to Black Sheep Squadron. Of course that was one of my favorite shows.

Oh, man, I LOVED Black Sheep Squadron, way back when!

However, while the name 'Rogue Squadron' fits the Black Sheep idea, I don't think of the Rogue Squadron members as really fitting that bill. The characters (thus far, for me) are a bit bland.

I just finished reading Requiem For A Rogue. It feels like they pulled that storyline straight off a Black Sheep script. From the Bothan Girls to street brawls to the events searching for the lost cruiser. Just added X-wings and Ties for Corsairs and Zekes.

They focus too much on Corran for the first 4, so if you don't care for him you're in trouble. Its really bad in books 1 and 2, but it starts to branch out more in 3 and 4. Books after that switch to an almost entirely new cast of characters (except Wedge) and shares the wealth a bit more in the character development area.

Yeah, Corran is just not very riveting (for me). Neither is Wedge, really. Maybe they're a form of identify-with character, though the Darklighter kid would have been a better one for that, I think.

I enjoyed them all. I loved learning more about the different pilots.

Wow. That brings back some memories. Perhaps I am not the only older soul here....

Weird .. I loved the Stackpole books as a youngster .. and thought the Alliston books were just hollow. I felt the Alliston books were written for early teens.

I've re-read these books recently. I'm in my mid 30's nowand still enjoyed the Stackpole books. They're no literary masterpiece, but they're full of X-wing goodness. Again, when I got to wraith squadron .. it felt like step down.

I've told this story before .. but when I was a young lad I emailed Stackpole and told him his books were great. He emailed me back and told me I should get out and read more. What a champion! 

If you can get the old Rogue Squadron comic books too, it'll help fill in some blanks in the novels there. It's not entirely needed it but it helps a bit when they reference stuff that it feels like you should know about it but don't. I read the books first then about 4 or 5 years later tracked down the comics.

Although some of the early comics really stuff from being written in the 1990's. I love the Rogue squadron novels, they are second only to the Tim Zahn's Thrawn book. But one thing that really bugged me with Stackpole's writing is when he would use game mechanics from the X-Wing and TIE Fighter PC games (mostly the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter game). Like how he made it out there was no defense for capital ships if they fired missiles or torpedos with out a lock on first.  He must of played the hell out of those games, it really shows in the space combat he wrote. It was off putting at times, especially since I had played those games knew too well what he had done.

The Stackpole books are "ok". They are more like lets have fun books than serious novels. Allston ones are much more well written. The only Stackpole characters I really like in the books are Tycho, Asyr, and Ooryl (I like Corran in other books). Wes, Face, and Phanan are much more entertaining than the Stackpole characters. I mean, Riv has what, 4 lines, and he's supposed to be a main character!

EDIT: And Squeaky is waaaay cooler than Emtrey. Squeaky has some attitude!

Edited by YwingAce

Weird .. I loved the Stackpole books as a youngster .. and thought the Alliston books were just hollow. I felt the Alliston books were written for early teens.

I've re-read these books recently. I'm in my mid 30's nowand still enjoyed the Stackpole books. They're no literary masterpiece, but they're full of X-wing goodness. Again, when I got to wraith squadron .. it felt like step down.

I've told this story before .. but when I was a young lad I emailed Stackpole and told him his books were great. He emailed me back and told me I should get out and read more. What a champion!

I remember you telling us that story. That's pretty awesome, but not evidence of him being a good writer; just a good guy.

Yeah, Corran is just not very riveting (for me). Neither is Wedge, really. Maybe they're a form of identify-with character, though the Darklighter kid would have been a better one for that, I think.

Book 2 develops Gavin a fair bit and he has some hefty roles in Books 3 and 4.

Just muscle through and get to Book 2, it'll get better!

The Stackpole books are "ok". They are more like lets have fun books than serious novels. Allston ones are much more well written. The only Stackpole characters I really like in the books are Tycho, Asyr, and Ooryl (I like Corran in other books). Wes, Face, and Phanan are much more entertaining than the Stackpole characters. I mean, Riv has what, 4 lines, and he's supposed to be a main character!

EDIT: And Squeaky is waaaay cooler than Emtrey. Squeaky has some attitude!

Phanan and Face are awesome. :D

Edited by Bipolar Potter

Just reread 1&2 after several years and found they were not as good as I remembered. It was distracting how often the author found excuses to mention events from the original trilogy. This is understandable since at the time they were written there wasn't a lot of other cannon lore, but it still felt forced. Also, it seemed to be a very small galaxy. Out of the countless billions and billions of sentients, people who knew each other or had history of some sort couldn't help but run into each other. For example the people freed from Kessel just HAPPENED to be people Corran had a history with, Corran's contact on Coruscant just HAPPENED to have a past relationship with someone he was suspicious of, Corran's father HAPPENED to have arrested Mirax's father who just HAPPENED to be a father figure of sort for Wedge. It might have been tolerable in smaller doses but the degree to which he exercised his artistic license was grating.

I remember you telling us that story. That's pretty awesome, but not evidence of him being a good writer; just a good guy.

Good writer .. some say no .. I say it's subjective. How many copies has Twilight sold? I had the displeasure of reading it on a flight once. I should have just punched myself in dangly bits repeatedly. On the other hand, my wife loves it.

I liked his books though because it was straight up SW. No hocus pocus. Everything directly linked to the OT and that is what I liked about it. It also didn't contradict the X-Wing games .. those glorious X-Wing games. It adhered MY idea of the SW universe.

Good guy .. yep. I have respect for his self deprecating nature.

Edited by Conandoodle

I read them to simply learn about the pilots and potential new pilots for the game. They are OK reading material. I read most of them while relaxing on various vacations this year. i picked up what i thought was a compilation of the Tharawn trilogy only to find out it was the manga or comic version. Don't know what the proper term is..lol  haven't read/looked at the pictures for that one yet.lol also got new hope but haven't read it yet. But to make a long story short it was most interesting to have a bit more background on the pilots in the game which was my main reason for reading them...The one thing that DID bug me about the series was the ease (Spoiler alert) at which Imperial ships would seem to defect to the rebel side...  and were not talking fighters! now along those lines what are the other Starwars books that i should be reading for more background info on the various pilots and crews.?   

The Stackpole X-Wing books are fun, but deeply flawed. Though it's also deeply flawed, I think I, Jedi, which is basically just an X-Wing book with more Force powers, is a lot more nuanced and interesting.

The Allston X-Wing books (including Mercy Kill, in my opinion), are fantastic. Allston is able to really develop an ensemble, themes, twisty plots, and stay recognizably Star Wars.

I do recommend Stackpole's comics for info on the pilots - especially Baron Soontir Fel. Plus, they're much better at developing an ensemble.

The Stackpole X-Wing books are fun, but deeply flawed. Though it's also deeply flawed, I think I, Jedi, which is basically just an X-Wing book with more Force powers, is a lot more nuanced and interesting.

The Allston X-Wing books (including Mercy Kill, in my opinion), are fantastic. Allston is able to really develop an ensemble, themes, twisty plots, and stay recognizably Star Wars.

I do recommend Stackpole's comics for info on the pilots - especially Baron Soontir Fel. Plus, they're much better at developing an ensemble.

<--- That's exactly how I feel.

If you're not having fun with Rogue Squadron, try Wraith Squadron before you write off the whole series. Bacta War and Isard's Revenge are actually pretty good though.