Sign in to follow this  
Isador Martellus

"Cures" for mutations / corruption...

Really quick one... 

Long story cut short our RT party entered da warp without a gellar field and, on average, got about 30  or so corruption each (bringing some of the party to like 40 or so corruption due to existing points) and hence MUTATIONS HAPPENED! 

Whilst most were minor.. the trader himself has... ahem.... had a really bad time of it...

The list:

-Raveged body (rolled 5): 

-Brute

-Necrophage (Eating all da raw meat0

-Night Sider (yeah #Vampire incoming) 

-Fangs (we decided fangs rather than claw because #vampire

-And.... I **** you not... F***ING WINGS! 

OUR ROGUE TRADER IS A SODDING GHOUL / VAMPIRE!!!!

*Breaths*

So our characters, still pretty loyal to the imperium, wish to try and "solve" this problem... and hence their windy road down the path of forbiden lore on the warp and daemons begins... 

My question to you though my fellow GM's is this...

Are there ANY ways you know of / can think of that physical mutations and, hell maybe even corruption points, can be reduced (either through non daemon rituals or daemonic intervention)  

Extra Info: The events that led to this were honestly completely random dice rolls so, as a great GM , I have decided that the "real" reason this horribley unfortunate event occured was due to Lord of Change intervention :D 

For record we now have the following: 

Mutants:

Rogue Trader Vampire 

Arch-Militant Psyker

Non mutants: 

Seneschal with an obsession with forbidden lore (Addiction) 

Explorator with a slight deformity (easy to hide) and a hatred for the Ministratum :D 

So with this guys! 
Let's start spit balling the following ideas! : 

-Why the Lord of change would do this to the characters 

- What cures may the characters be able to find

- Where is the ship going to be spat out? (Somewhere in the Koronus Expanse mind you :D , They were just exiting the battlegrounds when this all went down! ) 

Well the chaos gods obviously have plans for these characters because: inside the warp + no geller field = ship gets rent apart by daemonic forces and every living thing get's omnomnomed/ possessed/ It's soul sucked out.

So being turned into Captain Dracula is the best possible outcome from that scenario.

Why? plans within plans within plots within...

What cures? There is no cure! join the true gods, mortals or be forever damned!

Where? Borgopas : A sparcely populated imperial shrineworld, coverd in mountains, dark brooding forrest and mist shrouded swamps. Ancient stone cathedrals, colonist  castles and massive Guard cemetaries dot the landscape. -Because why not send your vampire RT to space transilvania?

Black Crusade does make mention of this fact. There is a thing, that the Dark Mechanicus have developed, called a Reverse Empyrean Tube. They stick a few to you, strap you down, and turn the f**ker on. PREPARE FOR THE HURT!!!! There were also other things you could do: complex rituals using ecclesiarchal materials being another. Another featured you actually REPENTING TO THE GOD-EMPEROR TO REMOVE CORRUPTION AT THE COST OF INFAMY. Ahem, excuse me......

In any case, the first two basically let you do these things, and then blow i think about 100 xp per corruption point to remove them, like insanity points. It was actually kind of a neat way to do it, even if it made you look weak to your "peers". for RT, i can see "borrowing" ecclesiarchal stuff (incense, holy symbols, powdered saints' bones, and the like) to save yourself.

As for the mutations......there is such a thing as removing them via bonesaws and extensive , HIGHLY invasive surgery I would imagine. And then get bionics if you gotta remove a limb.

Halo artifact? Can't immagine that there isn't anything that they can't fix, although you just don't acquire them all willy nilly.

maybe use a dark ritual? get some psykers with bio powers to suck the mutations into them, or allow them to swap bodies?

^ absolute heresy though, but your players should be executed on the spot so no worries.

Edited by MrImperator

I'd personally say that the corruption points have to stay but I'd allow the mutations to be suppressed by cybernetics.

Brute could potentially be removed by replacing all the limbs with cybernetics and then muscle augmentation for the body.

Necrophage could potentially be removed by gastral bionics.

Cybernetic eyes could replace the nightsider mutation if combined with void skin to help the sun sensitivity.

Fangs could be replaced with false teeth (or perhaps the RT could just pull their fangs every day as a sign of devotion to the Emperor).

Wings could be amputated and then the place where they join the body could be used to anchor mechandrites.

After all that the RT would no longer display the effects of the mutations, though they'd also lose all the advantages of the mutations as well.

Or you can just cut off the damaged/mutated portions of the body and replace them with parts from a healthy "donor." 

I'd assume that would only work if the Rogue Trader was also an Ork. Given that mutations are the result of genetic change I'd assume that any donor parts would be quickly rejected by the host body.

Plus with the extensive mutations (Brute affects the whole body, Necrophage affects the internal organs, nightsider affects the eyes and skin etc...) you'd essentially be taking the Rogue Trader's brain and putting it in a fresh body.

Take the Brain. Go into Dark Heresy: Inquisitor's Handbook. Cyber reconstruction/resurrection is an elite advance, you'd probably need a full cyber-resurrection with the extent of the mutations; this is basically the robocop treatment. Or pay through the nose for the Rite of Setesh from IH, which is basically turning you into a self-mobile life-support cask.

Or you can just cut off the damaged/mutated portions of the body and replace them with parts from a healthy "donor." 

I'd assume that would only work if the Rogue Trader was also an Ork. Given that mutations are the result of genetic change I'd assume that any donor parts would be quickly rejected by the host body.

Plus with the extensive mutations (Brute affects the whole body, Necrophage affects the internal organs, nightsider affects the eyes and skin etc...) you'd essentially be taking the Rogue Trader's brain and putting it in a fresh body.

I kind of like the idea, especially if the new body gets slowly corrupted as well, and he keeps needing to swap...

The idea with capital C Corruption is that it isn't really in the body, it's in the soul. It transcends flesh and steel. While some mutation, particularly those gained in the Origin Path isn't necessarily caused by warp influences, the ones you gain in-game is supposed to be. You wouldn't gain Corruption for being in Chernobyl, but you might if you were inside a leaky warp drive instead.

Thus, I'd rule that you absolutely could TRY to remove the mutations. Wings can be cut off, fangs can be filed down, but they'll grow back. You could try to "fix" Necrophage with gastric implants and Brute with invasive muscular surgery, but it's a temporary solution. The mutations will be back, even if you go full cybernetic resurrection.

Perhaps you COULD make a deal with a Lord of Change to fix it, but remember that a deal with a daemon is 1d5 Corruption in itself, and you never know where such a deal might lead you...

Also, they did a warp jump without a functioning Gellar Field. I'm surprised they SURVIVED.

I would say Necrophage never goes away. That's likely caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain, not your GI tract or anything like that. However, I would also rule that the mutations would not go away, simply because if I lose a finger or a rib, that does not grow back. Similarly, i've only ever known of a few mutations that mentioned being "malignant" and growing back.

@Errant Knight

I most certainly believe the Reverse Empyrean Tubes would totally be a mind-shattering experience. I hear it hurts quite a bit on top of it, considering its FLENSING YOUR SOUL. However, I could see the weird ritual involving drinking powdered saint's bones and all the other ridiculousness might help a little with insanity (you're putting everything "back together" as ti were, clearly Da Emps has got your back on this one, the source of your infinite frustration is gone, stuff like that)

High Level Genetors are the answer

Ad.Mechs who have cracked the DNA code can do it.

here's a sample request for such work:

My Dear Magos Biologis, 

Please note we have brought you an entire Forge World prestocked with STC templates

so that we may discuss the fees you will need to work a cure on my humble flawed form.

Thank You in Advance,

Your servant, the Penitent RT.