Sign in to follow this  
MRex22

Obligatory Ion Turret question

Folks,

When using a Y-wing with Ion Turret.  Let's say I hit an opponent's ship.  I do the one damage.  Then...the card states "Then cancel all dice results".

What does this mean?

Does this mean that subsequent attacks on the same unit during the same round are not allowed defense rolls?  (that is, no green dice)?

Do Ion tokens stack on individual units?  For instance...two Y-wings hit the same opposing unit with Ion turrets.  Each does one damage, and each applies a token to the opposing unit.  During the next turn, does this impact the movement any more than a single token (the 'straight 1' move)?

So far, all I'm seeing that an Ion Turret does is cause one damage and restrict movement the next round.  The "cancel all dice results" doesn't really mean anything.  Am I reading that right? 

I'm trying to find a valid reason to equip an Ion cannon, other than a player just wants more of a  Star Wars 'feel'. to the game.

So far, all I'm seeing that an Ion Turret does is cause one damage and restrict movement the next round.

Correct.

The "cancel all dice results" doesn't really mean anything.  Am I reading that right? 

It means a lot.

At the end of the compare results step of the combat sequence there are one or more red (with hit/crit results) and zero green dice (at least zero green dice with evade results) in the common area. That means the target is hit. During a regular (non-ion) attack the target suffers one point of damage for each die (hit and crit symbols only) in the common area. During a ion attack that does not happen. Instead, after compare results but before deal damage, you resolve the text on the ion weapon card: Suffer one damage, place a ion token and cancel all dice results. After that the deal damage step starts with zero dice in the common area resulting in zero damage.

Long story cut short: Cancel all dice prevents the damage uncancelled attack dice normally deal.

Edited by dvor

It basically means that a when you hit with an ion cannon attack, you don't cause any more than 1 damage (no critical hits, either.)  If you roll two [explosion symbol] and one [crit symbol], the target takes one face down damage card, and gets on ion token.

If you hit with multiple ion cannons in one round, each attack does one damage, and each attack assigns one ion token. The ion tokens are removed one at a time, so two ion hits would cause two rounds of 1-straight-white maneuvers.

Edited by HauntedByJawas

Aha!  Thank you, guys.  That clears up quite a bit.

In last night's situation, I hit a TIE Interceptor with the Ion Turret.  I rolled hit/hit/critical.  We applied the single damage and token...and simply ignored the rest of the hits.  Apparently we were applying the rule correctly.  We were over-thinking it. 

We just weren't sure how it applied if another ship fired on the same Interceptor, during the same turn, AFTER the hit from the Y-wing Ion Turret.

The ion tokens are removed one at a time, so two ion hits would cause two rounds of 1-straight-white maneuvers.

Very very wrong. The ion rules card is very clear that after performing the one straight move you remove ALL ion tokens from the ship. Hitting a small ship with multiple ion shots in a single turn just causes the 1 damage and wastes the extra ion tokens. (Note, though, that large ships have to have 2 tokens before the ion effect happens too them.

It basically means that a when you hit with an ion cannon attack, you don't cause any more than 1 damage (no critical hits, either.)  If you roll two [explosion symbol] and one [crit symbol], the target takes one face down damage card, and gets on ion token.

This is also wrong. The target takes 1 damage. If it has shields it loses a shield, if it does not, it receives a face down damage card. It receives the ion token either way.

An ion cannon shot has no effect on any subsequent attacks made on that ship the same round. The "cancel all dice results" thing is long gone.

If a small ship has 1 or more ion tokens, it is not assigned a maneuver dial during the next planning phase and moves 1 white straight forward during the activation phase, and ALL ion tokens are removed. This means that any effect that trigger based on revealing a maneuver dial will not work.  An ionized Phantom cannot decloak for example.

If a large ship has 2 or more ion tokens, it is not assigned a maneuver dial during the next planning phase and moves 1 white straight forward during the activation phase, and ALL ion tokens are removed. This means that any effect that trigger based on revealing a maneuver dial will not work.

If a large ship is assigned 1 ion token it keeps the token until it gets another or is destroyed. If it has 2 or more tokens, the effect detailed above kicks in.

The 1 straight maneuver from ion tokens is considered white, even if the ship's dial has a 1 forward of a different color.

If a huge ship has 1 or more ion tokens during the Gain Energy step, it gains 1 less energy per token, and all the ion tokens are removed.

YlIx1Kr.png

I was just going to comment on a couple of points but Forgottenlore and LemonheadPrime (for a second I thought it was the same poster) already brought them up.

1.  Ion weapons do not automatically deal cards.  They cause the target to "suffer" one damage which may then just take of a Shield token but the Ion (movement) effect still happen.  There are only a few things that deal cards as damage and they are pretty specific.

2.  When a ship moves under the effects of Ionization it removes ALL tokens.  This isn't to say that assigning multiple ion tokens to a ship is all bad because it takes TWO tokens for a large ship to be affected and they have special properties when it comes to the huge ships.  The Ion Pulse Missile may give a ship two Ion tokens when it hits but that just means it is effective against large ships with one strike and doesn't make it any more effective against small ships.

The ion tokens are removed one at a time, so two ion hits would cause two rounds of 1-straight-white maneuvers.

Very very wrong. The ion rules card is very clear that after performing the one straight move you remove ALL ion tokens from the ship. Hitting a small ship with multiple ion shots in a single turn just causes the 1 damage and wastes the extra ion tokens. (Note, though, that large ships have to have 2 tokens before the ion effect happens too them.

Oops.  It just goes to show, it's been too long since I've played for me to be answering rules questions!

Thanks.