Sign in to follow this  
nhennsc

Nightmares from S.o.N. Encounter 2 question?

Under the "Special Rules" it states, "At the end of each hero turn, place 1 fatigue token in the overlord's play area. When there are 4 fatigue tokens in the Overlord's play area, he chooses a hero and flips 1 of that heroes' Class cards with an XP cost facedown. Then, he discards all fatigue tokens from his play area."

Now, my question is. Does he get a fatigue after each hero takes his separate turn or after all heroes have taken their turn.

If it's after each hero, then he is turning a class card over every turn. ( In a 4 hero game)

If its after all heroes have taken their turn then they actually stand a bit of a chance.

Please help clarify this rule for me. No matter what, the heroes are screwed in this one. Bye-Bye good skills first 

"At the end of each hero turn, place 1 fatigue token in the overlord's play area."

First ... I have not played this quest, and am responding in a vacuum, using only the information you have provided.

My thoughts are that the first statement above (my emphasis) is key.  It specifies EACH hero turn.  To me, this reflects after each and every hero goes.

I would assume that if it meant after the entire hero party went, and prior to the OL's turn, it would have stated that (or something similar).  As you rightly pointed out, my interpretation would mean the loss of a skill card for each and every complete Hero party turn (assuming a 4 hero party).  This could definitely be brutal, depending on when this quest is played in the overall campaign.

Now, you need to take my thoughts with a big grain of salt, as one of the key issues that FFG has had in their games is the use/misuse of precise/imprecise words/phrases/sentences.

Edited by any2cards

Very sure it is after "each" hero.  So you could turn down one skill per round in a 4 hero game.  At this stage in the game each hero has 7 XP and will have between 2-5 different skills.  Assuming an average of 3.5 it would still take 14 rounds to get them all.  If you only got one fatigue per round it would take about 52 rounds to get them all!!!!   Its very broken if you did just one per round. 

Personally I think it should have 1 fatigue per XP point to normalize things out but that was not my call. 

Yeah, a "hero turn" is one hero taking his/her turn - the rulebook is pretty clear about that.

Definitely. A "round" consists of all heroes and the OL all taking 1 "turn." A "turn" is one player going through all of the phases spelled out on the turn summary card. "After each hero turn" means the OL gets 4 fatigue per round in a 4 hero game, 3 in a 3 hero game, 2 in a 2 hero game.  I haven't actually played this quest, but looking at it, it's not QUITE as terrible for the heroes as it appears.

Edited by Zaltyre

Yeah, I can see what you all are saying, and you are right. But keep in mind. This is the second half of the Quest, and your Skill Class cards that were flipped from Encounter 1 stay flipped in Encounter 2.

In Encounter 1, the OL starts the Encounter by flipping 1 Skill card from each Hero (Bye-bye 3 pointer cards). So there goes 4 skill cards. Then, at the End of each OL turn. All Heroes have to roll a starburst test. The OL can choose 1 Skill card from 1 Hero that fails and flip 1 of his Skill cards ( there goes another Skill card ).

Then, after Encounter 1 is finished the OL's influence gets revealed. If he chooses the green influence "Valuables Lost". He can possibly take upto 4 more skills from the heroes.

So by this time, the heroes are going into Encounter 2 with 5 to possibly 9 skill cards short. Even though each Hero has 7 XP by this time doesn't mean each hero has spent 7 points on Skill cards( It is the last board before the Finale). So the Heroes at this time have 2 maybe 3 skill cards each.

So, within 4 turns into the Finale all your Heroes will be down into their starting skills cards (each). And that's pretty much when you are getting to the big boss at the end of encounter 2. Who adds +4 to its health per Hero (so 16 extra wounds in a 4 player game) when your Heroes are at their minimum and probably all almost dead too.

I just don't like this Quest as the Heroes. It is totally 1 sided in my opinion. 

Thanks for everyone's input, you are all right. I just don't like this Quest as the Heroes!  

You have stated your objections well.  Quite frankly, these kinds of discussions is why I like this game so much.  There are many quests/encounters that slant towards the OL, and many that slant towards the heroes.

This is turn results in one side or the other making claims about how absurd a particular quest/encounter is.  Which leads to much discussion.

I think this is a good thing.  We are discussing the games, and not a bunch of non-related stuff.

Plus, when I see posts like this, it just gets my juices flowing to try and beat the "unbeatable" quest/encounter.

nhennsc- it's absolutely fine that you don't like this quest as a hero- after all, it's called "Nightmares!" In any case, just focus on winning "Into the Dark" or "Widespread Panic," and you can choose "Lost" instead. 

So, within 4 turns into the Finale all your Heroes will be down into their starting skills cards (each). And that's pretty much when you are getting to the big boss at the end of encounter 2. Who adds +4 to its health per Hero (so 16 extra wounds in a 4 player game) when your Heroes are at their minimum and probably all almost dead too.

well. I don't think you are losing faced down skill permanently. in the reward section, it states

"Win or lose, each player receives 1 XP.

Heroes flip any facedown class card faceup."

So my guess the loss of skill is only effective in this quest. 

For what it's worth, and I'm sure it depends on the heroes/classes, but Nightmares was extremely easy for me :)

Granted, my daughter didn't place the apparitions well, and a couple blasts killed them all before they could do anything, even when they spawned.  It only took a couple rounds to get all the pillars removed.  I did so in a round where I removed the pillar and my two big hitters still hadn't gone (Lord Hawthorne as Skirmisher, and Master Thorn as Runemaster); between the two of them, Chimaera fell before the OL even got to do anything with him!  (Lord Hawthorne essentially got 3 attacks, due to the ability to let him make a second attack with his other weapon, and then a second action).

Again, I kinda just got lucky there, but it didn't seem that hard to me, if you just try and get those pillars down as fast as possible.

Yeah, a "hero turn" is one hero taking his/her turn - the rulebook is pretty clear about that.

Where? I have heroes say the overview on page 7 says a hero turn is all heroes.

Looking at page 7, that is not what it says. It gives the overview of what each hero's turn consists of, and states pretty clearly that each hero takes a turn, and then the OL takes a turn. That is, the section begins:

During each hero turn, the active hero player performs the following steps
in order...

and ends (I've bolded):

After the player flips his Activation card, another hero begins his turn.
After all heroes’ Activation cards are facedown (showing the overlord
turn summary), proceed to the overlord turn...

Every hero player gets a turn, and then the OL gets a turn. That whole cycle (all heroes + OL) constitutes 1 round.

Furthermore, any ability that has a timing trigger of "during your turn" is limited to step 3 of your turn- the perform actions step. For example, you can't suffer fatigue to gain movement points at the start of your turn, or the end of your turn.

Edited by Zaltyre

Where? I have heroes say the overview on page 7 says a hero turn is all heroes.

Looking at page 7, that is not what it says. It gives the overview of what each hero's turn consists of, and states pretty clearly that each hero takes a turn, and then the OL takes a turn. That is, the section begins:

During each hero turn, the active hero player performs the following steps

in order...

and ends (I've bolded):

After the player flips his Activation card, another hero begins his turn.

After all heroes’ Activation cards are facedown (showing the overlord

turn summary), proceed to the overlord turn...

Ha! Thanks for helping beat my heroes into submission!

Every hero player gets a turn, and then the OL gets a turn. That whole cycle (all heroes + OL) constitutes 1 round.

Furthermore, any ability that has a timing trigger of "during your turn" is limited to step 3 of your turn- the perform actions step. For example, you can't suffer fatigue to gain movement points at the start of your turn, or the end of your turn.