Sign in to follow this  
JsBingley

The competitive LCGs will have their new rotation policy, so where Lotr LCG goes?

I don't know if rotation is exactly what I would do as such.   However,  perhaps a 2nd Edition Core Box (just the core box) would be nice to see,  to update some of the old cards and breathe new life into them.   Core Set Aragorn,   Horseback Archer, Protector of Lorien...  It could also be used as an opportunity to tone down some of the powerful core set cards,  making Unexpected Courage unique perhaps, and Victory-1 on Will of the West.

I don't know if rotation is exactly what I would do as such.   However,  perhaps a 2nd Edition Core Box (just the core box) would be nice to see,  to update some of the old cards and breathe new life into them.   Core Set Aragorn,   Horseback Archer, Protector of Lorien...  It could also be used as an opportunity to tone down some of the powerful core set cards,  making Unexpected Courage unique perhaps, and Victory-1 on Will of the West.

Could work. I always thought that the core set was Lotr's weakest point and that it was the game's own solid mechanics that make players ignore the messy starter box.

Wow. Just read that A Game of Thrones is getting a complete reboot. (News travels slow under my rock.) I might move in on it. I won't be leaving LOTR though. This game has my heart.

I've been wanting to get in on AGOT LCG for quite some time (I just have the Core Set), but like many, the buy-in was just way too much. When they announced 2nd edition, I was ecstatic, because I can get in on the ground floor for what is, in my opinion, a fantastic game and one of my favorite worlds, after Tolkien that is. They're probably going to draw in a lot of new players with this decision.

a fantastic game and one of my favorite worlds, after Tolkien that is. They're probably going to draw in a lot of new players with this decision.

I share your sentiment and probably that of many lotr lcg players (and others). I will definitely move in on AGOT 2E and am already looking forward to it. I almost started with 1E but the cost was too steep.

To frank, though, I am not convinced that rotation will be the solution to the steep buy-ins of LCGs unless old chapter packs disappear completely. But there are so many casual players outside of the competitive scene that will also use cards from the "non-legal" pool leading to the newbies to look for older cards to complete their combos for casual play. If there are enough players we might very well see a thriving second-market for singles and outdated chapter packs.

For lotr, I see no real point in rotation as we don't have a "Meta" that dominates tournaments and such...that's what makes "our" game so lovely :D

So, stupid question from a noob: Couldn't you make a competitive scene for LOTR LCG by way of pairs going up against scenarios with maindeck plus sideboard decks and scoring? Let them play simultaneously with the pair they're going up against. That's a great afternoon of Twitch TV I'd watch with buckets of popcorn! :lol:

Imo the metagame experience for LotR is irrelevant. People play the game with friends or solo, and generally don't care about the competitive side (at least not on an absolute level).

If this game were to rotate, the card pool will become very small. It's up to you to try and limit your cardpool to make for a more interesting 'challenge' (for example: using the core only to beat new scenarios).

If this game were to rotate, the card pool will become very small. It's up to you to try and limit your cardpool to make for a more interesting 'challenge' (for example: using the core only to beat new scenarios).

Yes, this exactly why rotation is not necessary for lotr. It is only relevant for tournaments and competitive players anyway. Me and a couple of friends used to play magic casually only. And guess what, for the longest time I never even new there was something like rotation or formats. We just built our decks from our own private card-pool and had tons of fun.

Iirc, there was the idea in the early days of the game to have competitive events where groups of players compete against the same scenario and compare scores thereafter. It could be fun and you could use certain deckbuilding constraints to prevent everybody from showing up with the same decks (i.e. each group of players gets a different set of deckbuilding conditions to meet). However, and that is the beauty of this game, nobody prevents your local game group from doing just that. Sometimes I feel that people forget that there is a world outside of competitive card-gaming, too!

rotation makes no sense for this game.. Not only has it the smallest card pool growth of any of the lcgs so it would be like 2020 or something before it started to rotate, it is also not competitive. So who gives a ****? Any player can do anything they want already...

I simply said I wanted a versus version of lotr.

you have one... Middle Earth CCG...one of the best card games ever designed. Play it and be amazed!

Edited by booored

I was curious so I counted the cards.  After "The Antlered Crown" we will have 360 different player cards counting the 49 heroes.  So 311 non-hero cards.  That's after 3+ years.  Still, I am finally starting to feel that multiple "good decks" are now possible and so we are getting there.

I was curious so I counted the cards.  After "The Antlered Crown" we will have 360 different player cards counting the 49 heroes.  So 311 non-hero cards.  That's after 3+ years.  Still, I am finally starting to feel that multiple "good decks" are now possible and so we are getting there.

I am curious as to how many player cards a different LCG would have after the same number of expansions and adventure packs, considering they don't get encounter cards at all. Just how slow is the card pool growing anyway compared to other games?

this game owns it art wise, but MECCG is a much better game. Probably the most thematic game ever made.. it is seriously amazing. There really is nothing like it. Everyone that plays this game should give it a try.

Yes ME CCG best Tolkien card game ever. Will be cool if thid game will reborn one day

Close but not quite =P

I've seen the art and text on that game, THIS GAME is the best Tolkien card game ever :P

Agree with you Lotr lcv have better art sure. But MECCG mechanic and dive in Tolkien world is better. MECCG you also can play solo an also can play against a player. Did you ever try it?

I am curious as to how many player cards a different LCG would have after the same number of expansions and adventure packs, considering they don't get encounter cards at all. Just how slow is the card pool growing anyway compared to other games?

Lots of variables, but we'd have at least twice as many. As an example, the chapter packs contain 60 cards which is 20 different player cards in the vs games, but we get 9 and a hero.

Lots of variables, but we'd have at least twice as many. As an example, the chapter packs contain 60 cards which is 20 different player cards in the vs games, but we get 9 and a hero.

Although it's worth noting that the number of possible decks is smaller in the design. All the Competitive LCG's have imposed restrictions on the card pool and how it can be put together (a limit on the number of cards that can be from a different suit, or  a limit on what suits can work together).

Where as Lord of the rings allows any cards to work together since the songs came out. So although we have less cards, those cards are less restricted. 

Edited by Rapier

Although it's worth noting that the number of possible decks is smaller in the design. All the Competitive LCG's have imposed restrictions on the card pool and how it can be put together (a limit on the number of cards that can be from a different suit, or  a limit on what suits can work together).

Where as Lord of the rings allows any cards to work together since the songs came out. So although we have less cards, those cards are less restricted. 

Yeah, yet these song almost never used on a spheres outside of the printed ones of the starting heroes. So much less restricted.