Sign in to follow this  
charlarino

Should ffg prioritise reprints?

Advanced Acepack's the one that's supposedly on the cards next after Wave VI.

Hah.  According to whom?  I've seen no such announcement.

In the same interview with the designers where they said the star viper had an anti-turret card interceptors were going to love they also said they were aware of the issues with the advanced and had something in the works to fix them, but no indication what that would be and certainly nothing so formal as a product announcement.

And it is your fault that you encourage the speculator...

But my post has nothing to do with encouraging the speculator, or disliking the speculator. I was merely commenting that's who was getting the money, and at least in my instance, FFG offshoring their manufacturing (leads to delay times) caused me to pay as much as if it were made in the good ole USA. So, easy there, killer.

I don't know about prioritizing reprints but prioritizing getting things out on schedule or even near the "official release" date OR at least communicating what the issues are in doing so should be good.

New Player: "When can I get __________."

Old player/LGS employee: "supposed to be in... um... last month/week".

New Player: "Is that typical for this new game?"

Old Player/LGS employee: "um...this game isn't new and it's pretty common."

New Player: "Should I bother?"

Well technically the stuff on the boat was updated with that status on 10/2.

Which means the 2400 and Decimator technically have until the 13th to hit shipping status.  That buys them until the 23rd of November, so though I'm impatient, technically the wave 5 stuff isn't late yet.

It's just all the reprints that probably won't be around until February or so based on the current status, that impacts me.  I live in a less populated area, I've checked every B&N, gamestop, and LGS in two states. So in my case it was either pay out the nose, or wait close to 6 months for the restock for the Falcon, Firespray, and A-Wing. Yes, I know I can get Rebel Aces, but

1. That means no Tycho and 2. I hate the prototype paint scheme.

FFG is simply too good in too many areas for me to give up hope on them. I'm sure the supply chain is a top priority and they'll get it sorted. In the meantime...

...and the answer to that is probably exactly the same as the one most companies who import products manufactured in Asia give:

THE COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you'd prefer to pay $35 for a TIE Fighter expansion?

So not only are gamers sexist, they are against jobs in america? Just keeps getting worse for us egg shaped mouthbreathers. 

/kidding of course....

ok somewhat.

We still need jobs in the US and for companies to stop hiding behind that cost of manufacture thing.

Edited by Radzap

So not only are gamers sexist, they are against jobs in america? Just keeps getting worse for us egg shaped mouthbreathers. 

/kidding of course....

ok somewhat.

We still need jobs in the US and for companies to stop hiding behind that cost of manufacture thing.

Oh, I'm all for jobs in America (so long as I can get a work permit and immigration clearance).  :lol:

The problem is, it's not "hiding behind cost of manufacture" if it's true.  There's a reason why manufacturing something in China then shipping it halfway around the world is a more viable option than manufacturing it domestically.

I'm sure that FFG would be more than willing to manufacture and purchase domestically (or manufacture themselves) if they could obtain a similar quality finished product for a comparable price.  Chances are though, the only way they'd be able to match current prices while manufacturing domestically would be by selling the items on a sprue - unassembled, unpainted and with cards and tokens the user needs to print themselves.

...and the answer to that is probably exactly the same as the one most companies who import products manufactured in Asia give: THE COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you'd prefer to pay $35 for a TIE Fighter expansion?

Common misconception that outsourcing manufacturing to the far east significantly reduces cost.

For example it's been calculated that if a certain manufacturer of phones and computing devices were to bring its manufacturing back to the US (which they have vowed never to do), the increased cost to the consumer on a $600 smartphone would be in the region of $12-$18.

Bottom line is that using far east manufacturing is far more about maximising shareholder profits than consumer savings

To answer the OPs question, I do think that FFG should prioritise reprints. What we've seen the last couple of years is a rapidly expanding product line, but not the expansion of producing capability. It should be the other way around.

Common misconception that outsourcing manufacturing to the far east significantly reduces cost.

For example it's been calculated that if a certain manufacturer of phones and computing devices were to bring its manufacturing back to the US (which they have vowed never to do), the increased cost to the consumer on a $600 smartphone would be in the region of $12-$18.

Bottom line is that using far east manufacturing is far more about maximising shareholder profits than consumer savings

That's a very specific example you're using to base such a generalised premise on, Funkleton!  ;)

I'm sure certain manufacturers of certain products within a certain price bracket could potentially move their entire manufacturing process across to the US without unduly increasing the final price to the customer, but different markets need to be held to different standards.  FFG is not Apple.  It does possess the customer base, capital, revenue streams or economies of scale of Apple.

In addition, this would not simply be a case of relocating an existing manufacturing process from the Far East to North America - FFG does not manufacture it's own products.  It outsources production.  So unless FFG is capable of finding a suitable North American manufacturer with the technology, manpower, capacity of producing a like-for-like quality of product for a like-for-like unit cost, in the required quantities to the required schedule, the point is pretty much moot.

Keep in mind, that manufacturing in the US does not necessarily solve the issues for the other countries. It would appear that FFG has 10 publishing partners, to send it across the globe. Not sure how many languages X-wing is printed in either. Is it possible that China makes the most business sense for all of those companies?

Also, Macross, they have said that they have upped their production capacity. I think they even mentioned a second factory in the Inflight Report (though, I imagine that Armada may have been a factor). The issue is, that when they reach the point of ordering a reprint, it could be in a middle in rise in demand, defeating their projections.

Keep in mind, that manufacturing in the US does not necessarily solve the issues for the other countries. It would appear that FFG has 10 publishing partners, to send it across the globe. Not sure how many languages X-wing is printed in either. Is it possible that China makes the most business sense for all of those companies?

Also, Macross, they have said that they have upped their production capacity. I think they even mentioned a second factory in the Inflight Report (though, I imagine that Armada may have been a factor). The issue is, that when they reach the point of ordering a reprint, it could be in a middle in rise in demand, defeating their projections.

Yeah I know the have upped their production capacity but it still feels like they should have done so earlier and/or more. Besides, no one can dispute that they have released models at an almost outrageous pace (not that I'm complaining much about that), and that could be indicative that they prioritise new stuff before keeping stock levels up.

I wouldn't exactly call it an outrageous pace. Especially when compared to Wizkids.

And considering there wasn't exactly a shortage almost immediately after Wave 3 and 4 were released, that is tangible evidence that they have upped their production capacity. You have to remember, ordering reprints is a guessing game. I suspect that the demand rapidly grew beyond their predictions this summer.

I wouldn't exactly call it an outrageous pace. Especially when compared to Wizkids.

And considering there wasn't exactly a shortage almost immediately after Wave 3 and 4 were released, that is tangible evidence that they have upped their production capacity. You have to remember, ordering reprints is a guessing game. I suspect that the demand rapidly grew beyond their predictions this summer.

Well yes, I have to give you that. We should be really thankful that FFG is not Wizkids! :)

I really want to know how they treated their Chinese sweatshop painters.  

These things are hand painted right?   Or did I get that wrong?  (Seems really good for singular hand paints though... =/)

This thread came up about ten months back, FFG's a signatory of some sort of manufacturer alliance that ensures working conditions are humane.

As for why they outsource? It's pretty much price: all FFG does is design and then they pay someone else to manufacture. A fair bit is outsourced to China and some things are outsourced to Germany.

If manufacturing on the other side of the world and shipping all the way back is cheaper then that's what companies will go for.

Edited by TIE Pilot