Sign in to follow this  
charlarino

Should ffg prioritise reprints?

Just wondering if you think it's hurting the game not having the full variety of ships on the shelf ready for late comers and new players alike I know a few people who are waiting to get involved because of the supply issues.

Thoughts?

I suppose so, but the lack of fair priced iconic ships from the movies (falcon slave) might put of the more casual gamer who isn't as big a star wars geek as some. After all if I didn't read the Eu I wouldn't recognise E wings as star wars neither would I know what film the hwk was from.

Edited by charlarino

Screw patience I want a falcon lol

haha.

for me this was the most anticipated ship release ever. i totally reverted back to a 10yr old again and was making 'pew pew' and 'vrooom!' noises when i got my first one (yes i have 2). its been a key ship for the rebels in the meta and right now is bordering on OP with C3-PO as crew ;)

I'm lucky enough to have at least 1 of every ship, but I've been playing ever since the game was first released. I just don't get why it took FFG so long to start printing a more decent amount of expansions though. Hasn't this game been their biggest cash cow for a while now? Why stay (too) conservative? They should know they will sell their whole inventory no matter what.

Edited by admat

Barnes and Nobles is the best place to pick up a Falcon.

But, Engine Upgrade would be a good card to print in an Imperial or S&V ship.

Barnes and Noble and Gamestop has them at retail prices unless you want lower you'll have to wait

Finding one for a fair price is more my issue. Not seen any at retail price anywhere I've looked.

One of my local Barnes and Noble had them three of them in a store, my friend bought one and I bought one with an extra to sell. It's going for almost $60 on eBay right now, but considering I haven't seen any more I kind of wish I hadn't sold the second one. I just feel weird running two of the same iconic ship like that.

Edited by Kriterian

I just don't get why it took FFG so long to start printing a more decent amount of expansions though. Hasn't this game been their biggest cash cow for a while now? Why stay (too) conservative? They should know they will sell their whole inventory.

Estimated sales vs capital outlay vs production/shipping capacity levels.

I'm fairly sure sales of the game and it's expansions are outperforming expectations.  However whether FFG predicted this level of interest at this point in time or not, with their production being outsourced they will always be limited to what their suppliers can successfully manage to print, assemble, paint, box and deliver during a certain timeframe.

I'm no business analyst, but I'm sure FFG will have budgeted a specific figure for buying stock each quarter, based on their projected sales, new players being introduced up the game, seasonal trends etc.  I'm also sure that their suppliers can only produce a maximum amount of miniatures per quarter, and some of that production capacity will be taken up by new releases as well as restocks of existing products.

I just don't get why it took FFG so long to start printing a more decent amount of expansions though. Hasn't this game been their biggest cash cow for a while now? Why stay (too) conservative? They should know they will sell their whole inventory.

Estimated sales vs capital outlay vs production/shipping capacity levels.

I'm fairly sure sales of the game and it's expansions are outperforming expectations.  However whether FFG predicted this level of interest at this point in time or not, with their production being outsourced they will always be limited to what their suppliers can successfully manage to print, assemble, paint, box and deliver during a certain timeframe.

I'm no business analyst, but I'm sure FFG will have budgeted a specific figure for buying stock each quarter, based on their projected sales, new players being introduced up the game, seasonal trends etc.  I'm also sure that their suppliers can only produce a maximum amount of miniatures per quarter, and some of that production capacity will be taken up by new releases as well as restocks of existing products.

Yes, it makes sense. And of course, it is better not to rush things so that the quality of the product isn't compromised.

As long as the Core and a variety of sets are available, the game should be fine. We know that they have upped their production capacity, I just suspect the issues with dock workers are holding things up.

All the more reason to replace them with droids....

TF_loader.jpg 

"Hello! I don't require potty breaks, sleep, or health insurance!"

The expansions you're talking about are being reprinted.  The point is moot.

QX4y5PwxvkxJ.jpg

This and not right now there is still allot of other things FFG should do to fill out the set.

• Fill out the S&V faction with more than 1 wave.
  • Epic scale ships for Imperial
  • Aces pack for S&V ships.
  • Official rulings for different types of obstacles such as the new debris cloud tokens.

Still I am more for say the mission/aces pack style of reprints as in not reprinting cards but adding other options to existing ship models.

Just wondering if you think it's hurting the game not having the full variety of ships on the shelf ready for late comers and new players alike I know a few people who are waiting to get involved because of the supply issues.

Thoughts?

No, I don't think it's hurting the game at all. I think very few players are going to quit playing this game just because they have to wait a while for some ships to get restocked. While they're waiting, they'll load up on the ships that are readily available, and will be smugly enjoying those ships a year from now when they are scarce and another crop of new players is looking at the glut of Y-Wings, Interceptors and Falcons and wondering when they'll be able to get their hands on the Phantoms that are ruining everything.

It's probably very good for the game that there are these cycles of high demand and low supply. For every player that gets frustrated enough to quit, there are probably ten players happy to buy up their collections.

But how many people are not starting in the first place because they get told that most of the iconic ships are out of stock and have been for months? I know at my LGS I have had to inform several potential players that it's really hard to get mist of the ships right now and we have no idea when more will come in. How many people like that go "oh, OK" walk out and then pick up a different game that catches their interest instead?

No, most people who have already started aren't going to quit, but your going to have people who don't start because they can't find the game in stock anywhere.

Edited by Forgottenlore

We do have some idea when most of those ships are coming back. Some of them are on the boat now, and likely will be available around the start of the new year. And then months will go by with no one complaining about those ships being in low supply.

Right now there is no shortage of core sets.

It's also pretty easy to find TIE Fighters, HWKs, Shuttles, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, TIE Advanceds, all of Wave IV, Tantive IVs and Transports. There are a lot of interesting options available to new players right now without even looking very far.

The reality is that FFG is not a huge gaming company that can afford to have a ton of merchandise sitting unsold in its warehouses. It's also a reality that X-Wing has been hugely successful for them doing what they have been doing, and looks to continue to grow in popularity. But a smart company understands bubbles and bursts, and there are lots of other Star Wars miniatures games coming out from FFG that may take some of the wind out of X-Wing's sails. And if that happens, it would be incredibly stupid and irresponsible of them to have overproduced X-Wing stuff that is no longer getting gobbled up.

There are already some X-Wing products that are not moving as quickly as I'm sure FFG would like. (I don't think it's an accident that HWKs didn't get a repaint with Most Wanted. And you can be sure that there'll be some sort of fix for the TIE Advanced coming soon.)

Without a real understanding of the complexities involved, it's easy to look at a shortage of your favorite spaceship as being indicative of a game's failing, or some oversight on the part of the company. But I think FFG has been very wise about how they've handled the growth of this game, and the current (temporary) shortages actually indicate a very healthy game with a lot of life left to it. Players who may be passing on the game now because they can't find a Falcon may pick it up again in February next year when Falcons are everywhere again -- and YT-2400s, Decimators and a whole new bunch of Scum ships. And, ooh, Armada and that Star Wars Descent game.

That's all good stuff. That's incredibly good stuff.

Advanced Acepack's the one that's supposedly on the cards next after Wave VI.

Hah.  According to whom?  I've seen no such announcement.

And as far as reprints go, I'm of the opinion that while it'll take a bit of time, it's being worked on.  And if you can't wait, there's the internet.