Sign in to follow this  
WWPDSteven

Playing through the LOTR Saga this week- here's my deck

That is a very powerful deck. My only misgiving is that ally Galadriel has to be played from hand in order to trigger her response, and your only access to the Leadership sphere is a three cost card in Sword That Was Broken. This puts an awful lot of pressure on Gandalf's ability to pay for the Sword. Have you had any problems paying for her in your plays thus far?

Are you sure that Gandalf's ability to "play a card as if it was in your hand" doesn't work for Galadriel? 

The deck looks very strong and straightforward.  I would try to get some Daeron's Runes in the deck to give extra card draw with Gandalf's ability.

True, Galadriel's response work's when playing her as part of Gandalf's ability. Even so, these high-cost leadership cards can only be played with Gandalf, which seems like it could cause the deck to stall a bit - especially if you don't have Steward of Gondor attached to him yet. The ramp-up that many Gandalf decks require reminds me of Elrond & Vilya decks. These decks are very powerful, but they can run a bit rough in the early rounds, while you get all of your dependencies setup. I am curious whether or not this deck has the same characteristic.

True, Galadriel's response work's when playing her as part of Gandalf's ability. Even so, these high-cost leadership cards can only be played with Gandalf, which seems like it could cause the deck to stall a bit - especially if you don't have Steward of Gondor attached to him yet. The ramp-up that many Gandalf decks require reminds me of Elrond & Vilya decks. These decks are very powerful, but they can run a bit rough in the early rounds, while you get all of your dependencies setup. I am curious whether or not this deck has the same characteristic.

That's definitely been true in my Gandalf deck testing. You need some attachments in place, and some way to manipulate the top card of the deck in order to get the most out of it, which takes time and resources.

I've been using Theodred and Sam with Gandalf, so I can play Steward of Gondor turn one, if I have it in hand. Or Galadriel turn two to try and get it.

Other than that, there are a lot of similarities. I've been including a lot of high cost allies, to maximize the use of this deck's absurd resource generation. (Though, unlike an Elrond deck, I've found Timely Aid is also worth it.)

I've played this deck quite a few times now and not really had an issue with getting Galadriel out. The staff + The steward (which I put on Gandalf) usually means she's dropping no problem. One time I did have her stuck in my hand for a few turns as I lost my pipe, but then out came Bilbo to get the other one.

So far it's worked pretty well! I did go back and forth on Galadriel, but with so many attachments in the deck, the risk of not being able to play her for a turn or two is outweighed by her utility in this deck.

Thanks guys!

Use them together and you'll just walk into Mordor without problems. Be bold and use Galadriel (hero) too instead of some.lowthreat Balrogslayer...

Yeah I gotta be honest here, the Gandalf Hero decks that are on the more powerful end I'm actually starting to really hate as well. They're almost up there with outlands and draw your whole deck on the first turn decks.

The thing that probably annoys me most is that these overpowered decks (that are far better than almost all others) mean the designers will create harder and harder quests that will eventually only be beatable by using one of the couple of types of overpowered and broken decks and will be pretty much impossible with all other decks. I'm kinda betting that Nightmare HoN is going to be like this but really really hoping it is not and I am able to beat it with my decks (which are quite strong but not as strong as outlands or the strongest Gandalf decks). I think they made the Gandalf Hero too good to be honest.

Edited by PsychoRocka

I don't have TRD yet so I haven't been able to play Gandalf. Is he really that powerful? Not that I care, I'm a power gamer anyway, but I wanted to know what hero lineups you've been using. It seems this one (Gandalf, Aragorn and Glorfindel) is the best, but what other lineups do you think can be very powerful as well?

Yeah I gotta be honest here, the Gandalf Hero decks that are on the more powerful end I'm actually starting to really hate as well. They're almost up there with outlands and draw your whole deck on the first turn decks.

The thing that probably annoys me most is that these overpowered decks (that are far better than almost all others) mean the designers will create harder and harder quests that will eventually only be beatable by using one of the couple of types of overpowered and broken decks and will be pretty much impossible with all other decks. I'm kinda betting that Nightmare HoN is going to be like this but really really hoping it is not and I am able to beat it with my decks (which are quite strong but not as strong as outlands or the strongest Gandalf decks). I think they made the Gandalf Hero too good to be honest.

I got Gandalf and yes he is crazy power! But for solo game. In coop special in 3 4 players he cut his presence in other players decks and that can be very frustrating. No Sneak Attack Gandalf combo? No 4 damage or reduce 5 threat? In 4 players game can be ctitical no Gandalf ally at all.

He is good for solo yes. however I share your feeling, I dont like to broken decks like dwarfs and outlans but Nightmare fix it. We need some power. Yes I hope HON nightmare will be very difficult and we need to use powerful combo to win. They game will be on 100% power! That I love!!!

I totally agree with psychorocka.

The problem is decks like dwarves and outlands and now gandlalf hero are super powerful. It doesn't take much effort to stupidly slap an expert treasure hunter on, look at the face up card and draw it. Combine this with his powerful staff and bilbo to fetch It and especially solo it's crazy powerful.

Using gandalf and glorfindel and throwing in lore Aragon or Elrond is just stupidly powerful and game breaking, like dwarves and outlands.

I disagree somewhat Glaurung- I too crave difficult quests. I've hated easy quests like stone of erch and such but I don't want to be pigeonholed into using only a broken, not fun to play archetype to beat it.

The HON quests are hard, lake town is hard, and some nightmare quests are hard but you can beat them using any number of we'll thought out decks with varied heroes , some good deck building and luck. I love banging my head against loses and tweaking but winning with a fun, not over powers deck. I don't want to have to play thorin, dain, hero gandalf, glorfindel and hirulin exclusively to beat them bc nothing else can, which is what I also fear like others may happen.

Yeah so long as you play solo he is stupidly powerful, then again I don't really consider solo all that legit as the game is MADE for two players or more (with two players being the sweet spot the majority of the time) so I guess realistically as long as you play with two or more players or decks he isn't nearly as good cause the Gandalf allies are not playable by anyone.

A little faith!  Here we are in the middle of the Ring Maker cycle, fully 2 years and more since the dwarves came crashing through Dwarrowdelf and a year and a half since the infamous 'Outlands pack' would surely make all quests infinitely more difficult thereafter.

Still we are able to play without Outlands or Dwarves and win quests that are satisfyingly difficult.  Somehow I forced a mono-tactics thematic Gimli/Merry/Legolas deck through the entire TRD box and survived!

Power creep is a given, and quests will become more difficult as a result.  But I think we have already seen that the designers are not going to require us to play Dwarves or Outlands-level decks to succeed in future scenarios, and there is no reason to think that Gandalf will be any different.

Edited by GrandSpleen

Hmmmm I see much merit in what you have to say GrandSpleen but I'm worried perhaps only Nightmare will go down this path.

We will soon see with the HoN nightmare quests I guess! Foundations of Stone and Shadow and Flame are about as hard as I think Nightmare should get (still havent beaten them after many attempts) so hopefully HoN is around the same.

I totally agree with psychorocka.

The problem is decks like dwarves and outlands and now gandlalf hero are super powerful. It doesn't take much effort to stupidly slap an expert treasure hunter on, look at the face up card and draw it. Combine this with his powerful staff and bilbo to fetch It and especially solo it's crazy powerful.

Using gandalf and glorfindel and throwing in lore Aragon or Elrond is just stupidly powerful and game breaking, like dwarves and outlands.

I disagree somewhat Glaurung- I too crave difficult quests. I've hated easy quests like stone of erch and such but I don't want to be pigeonholed into using only a broken, not fun to play archetype to beat it.

The HON quests are hard, lake town is hard, and some nightmare quests are hard but you can beat them using any number of we'll thought out decks with varied heroes , some good deck building and luck. I love banging my head against loses and tweaking but winning with a fun, not over powers deck. I don't want to have to play thorin, dain, hero gandalf, glorfindel and hirulin exclusively to beat them bc nothing else can, which is what I also fear like others may happen.

Haha we had such issues in the past and now are on the exact same page about something :)

One thing I always find really funny is how easy people found Stone of Erech to be..... It took me SOOOOOOOOOOO long to beat that quest and I found it super difficult! Its probably mainly due to me using decks that aren't overly abundant in willpower and focus more so on traps, healing, combat, attachments etc so I am not able to destroy enemies fast enough as most of my willpower is going into questing and after that very little remains :P

Go back and try it without high willpower characters, its goddamn hard!

Stone of Erech is boring for me..... I do make video and yes it was a bit nervous in the end but mostly is fine easy...

I also like the idea of many different variation of the decks but player car pool so ,limited and special for solo deck building.

Anyway many new cards a coming and if you don't like Gandalf hero just didn play it! I do same feeling before but for now with a Nightmare there is always puzzle to be solved. I look forward for Long Dark Foundation of stone and Shadow and flame Nightmare.  Pretty sure even Gandalf hero doesn make it walk in the park!