Sign in to follow this  
ObiWonka

[Speculation] Autothrusters Guess

How so?  You turned 45 degrees and are still attacked by the turret.

He is saying it would counter arc-dodgers, meaning you turn 45 degrees to keep the enemy in your own arc. However I don't think that's a possible thing to include since there isn't a way to measure a 45 degree turn without some new cardboard guide. Not to mention, it's not supposed to be a counter to arc-dodgers. It's supposed to be an improvement for them. 

I agree with the majority that it probably has to do with boost/barrel roll and is likely a defensive upgrade. More specific than that though and I feel like there's a million things it could be. Personally, I like the idea of green dice gunner/TL where you can reroll any green dice (if you have boost or barrel roll icon). I also like the idea of getting an extra green die or maybe modifying a red die when you're being attacked outside of the attacker's firing arc. I kind of doubt it would give a free boost/barrel roll action like the thread OP suggested, because that is only very situationally defensive, since it only helps if the turret enemy is a higher PS

What about:

When you use a boost action, you may use the [2 bank left], [2 straight], or [2 bank right] movement templates.

I think that's an awesome upgrade. If it were that I'd be happy for the upgrade, but I don't see how that would be of great benefit against turrets. I dig it, though.

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

"You. Will. Love. It. Contact FFG for rules"

Ok ... now for an educated guess:

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

"Once per round, if you are declared as the target of an attack you may immediately perform a boost or barrel roll action as a free action, if those actions ar on your action bar."

So I don't think FFG want to boost the usage of PTL any further. This version of Autothrusters won't work if you are stressed. This would encourage the use of Predator and Outmanouver.

Now that would be interesting. It'd be good for Imperials; Royal Guard TIE is nice, but there aren't any 'action economy' modifications in the way there are in system slots or elite talents - modifications are good at giving you things to spend actions on, but not the actions themselves.

I'd probably make it give you a stress token - it's a **** powerful ability, and that's a good way to cap once per rounds in big games.

D&D attack wing includes the 'charge' action - essentially allowing a boost in the shooting phase prior to firing. The ability to boost into range when it's your turn to shoot is a powerful one - especially on Turr Phenir, who could essentially boost into range then barrel roll back out again!

It'd also be nice if it gave non-scum ships access to a Segnor's Loop manouvre (in a "when you reveal a koiogran type rule), but I think that's unlikely

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Autothrusters (2pts)

Modification. Agility 3 or greater only. Small ships only.

Once per round. When defending against an attack where you are outside the attackers firing arc and the attacker is inside your forward firing arc, increase your agility by 1.

Alternative buffs:

You may choose 1 attack die. The attacker must re-roll the chosen die.

You may re-roll 1 defence die at range 1, and 2 at range 2 or greater.

The attacker may not spend focus tokens.

Immediately after rolling the attack dice switch all {focus} results to blank.

All these would be interesting. The limitations on when it can be used are to make it only really useful when chasing turret ships. The agility 3 and small ships restrictions are to limit it to ships with high manoeuvrability (Initially A-wing/E-wing/TIE/Adv/Int/Viper). Note this intentionally prevents the Phantom from using it.

Another way of limiting it, would be to make it a stressing action. So you can do it if you have no stress and gain a stress when doing it. This would make super manoeuvrable Interceptors/A-wings think twice about Push the Limit for position.

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

"Once per round, if you are declared as the target of an attack you may immediately perform a boost or barrel roll action as a free action, if those actions ar on your action bar."

So I don't think FFG want to boost the usage of PTL any further. This version of Autothrusters won't work if you are stressed. This would encourage the use of Predator and Outmanouver.

Movement options just aren't helpful against turrets and still wouldn't cause me to take it and outmaneuver (or something else) over PTL. "Encouraging" players to move away from something means the new option has to be better and more efficient. This, while interesting, just isn't.

An interceptor that turtles with PTL and has a HU and SU is a very resilient foe for a turret. Any option, IMO, has to be better than that, otherwise it's not going to improve interceptor use in the current meta.

Doesn't seem too bad. Maybe you'll need a valid target in order to perform this. Need SOME sort of drawback. Or maybe something like:

Receive 1 stress token

This might free up the EPT slot for other upgrades besides PTL, as you get 2 actions anyways (just no F + E for turtling). Wouldnt be TOO bad.

If you get a stress token, id guess cost is 2pts or so.

Autothrusters (2pts)

Once per round. When defending against an attack where you are outside the attackers firing arc and the attacker is inside your forward firing arc, increase your agility by 1.

Alternative buffs:

All these would be interesting. The limitations on when it can be used are to make it only really useful when chasing turret ships. The agility 3 and small ships restrictions are to limit it to ships with high manoeuvrability (Initially A-wing/E-wing/TIE/Adv/Int/Viper). Note this intentionally prevents the Phantom from using it.

Another way of limiting it, would be to make it a stressing action. So you can do it if you have no stress and gain a stress when doing it. This would make super manoeuvrable Interceptors/A-wings think twice about Push the Limit for position.

I like your base Auto thrusters alot.    Very simple and fits game balance.    I would make it all the time, not once per round.

Autothrusters (2pts)

Alternative buffs:

Another way of limiting it, would be to make it a stressing action. So you can do it if you have no stress and gain a stress when

doing it. This would make super manoeuvrable Interceptors/A-wings think twice about Push the Limit for position.

Filling the modification slot is enough to keep Phantoms from abusing it. If a Phantom has to give up ACD to take it then Autothrusters would need to be one hell of a card to be unblanced on a Phantom.

I think at 2 points your suggestion may be overpriced. In matches that the opponent brings no turrets the card is dead weight that wasted points and a slot. Even if they have turrets it is still only useful when the turreted ship is in your arc. I don't think an extra 3/8s of an Evade is going to be that big of a help for Interceptors against turrets.

Another idea:

Autothrusters:

When attacked by a foe that you have a target lock on, recieve a free evade token, maybe reroll. (Or whenever you place a target lock get a free evade)

This would make the target lock mod have some more utility. This would be effective on turrets, but not limited only to them.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Another idea:

Autothrusters:

When attacked by a foe that you have a target lock on, recieve a free evade token. (Or whenever you place a target lock get a free evade)

That's a neat idea, but it doesn't really make me want to give up Push the Limit, especially since I'd also have to buy a Targeting Computer for my Interceptor, and now I can't fit a Hull or Shield Upgrade. It would do wonders for the Advanced though, Maarek would be thrilled.

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

This actually works really well with PTL and in a lot of cases would be a buff to PTL. Instead of using PTL to take an evade token in the activation phase you'd just wait to see if you are the target of an attack and then let the boost of barrel roll act as the trigger for PTL. If you aren't the target of an attack that round you avoided picking up a stress token.

Instead of speculation about what the card does I've kind of got a list of criteria in that Autothrusters should meet.

- Be a modification to limit the potential that it is a bigger boost for Phantoms than Interceptors and to take advantage of the Royal Guard TIE title.

- Have an effect against all opponents but a stronger effect against turrets.

- Make named pilots with no EPT slot or that took EPTs other than PTL more viable.

- Either be limited to ships with Boost and Barrel Roll or to give more options or an enhanced effect for having each of those options on the action bar.

- Be relatively cheap. 

What about something like "When you are attacked at Range 2-3, you may force the attacker to reroll one attack die, plus one additional attack die for every Boost or Barrel Roll symbol on your action bar."

Edited by PhantomFO

So I got to finally play against the Outrider with its 360 heavy laser cannon yesterday:

Leebo, Outrider, Experimental Interface, Marksmanship

The ship moved forward, target locked, marsmanshiped, and killed one tie interceptor, every turn, one per turn, no exception!

Whatever autothrusters is, it better help against this monster!

I think that "Once per round, immediately before declaring an attack's target, you may..." covers what you are trying to achieve.

The problem with this is that it only triggers before you declare a target, but after you complete the action you may not have a target.  All our "before" at the moment relate to revealing a dial, and nothing you can do can stop you from revealing the dial.  If the action you take before the trigger has a potential to make the trigger impossible, you create a paradox.

Another idea:

Autothrusters:

When attacked by a foe that you have a target lock on, recieve a free evade token, maybe reroll. (Or whenever you place a target lock get a free evade)

This would make the target lock mod have some more utility. This would be effective on turrets, but not limited only to them.

None of the ships that need the most help against turrets actually have target lock.  Assuming Autothrusters is a modification, that would limit it to high-PS Interceptors only.

Phantoms don't need help. With the stygium partical accelerator, and advanced cloaking device they have ample defense.

A unmodified tie interceptor is not as big a target as one that has pilot abilities and elite pilot talents, such as push the limit. An extra investment that might keep an expensive pilot alive would be worth it.

Any ship with a targeting computer, which the ship that the autothruster comes with (the starviper).

The empire is all about expendable pilots (Regular TIEs as well as unnamed interceptors). No need to keep them alive as they are flown in swarms. Bombers, Defenders, advanced even the decimator can benefit from autothrusters as i proposed IF it is a modification. Even so, with the right allies, target locks can be handed out.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange

Granted, a- and e-wings may not need it. But it is hard to limit what ships could equip it. To give it to interceptors it either needs to be a modification that anyone can take or limit to being tied to boosts or barrel rolls. This removes either a- or e-wings not both.

Autothrusters could be an illegal mod, but hints dropped that it isnt. The other option is that it provides no defense at all or modifies the stress from a red movement, possible once. This would benefit interceptors in that they can do a koiogran and still do an evade.