Sign in to follow this  
ObiWonka

[Speculation] Autothrusters Guess

None of these are right.  :ph34r:

And. 

You. Will. Love. It.  :D

Interesting. If it helps against turreted then free boost/barrel roll actions won't be very helpful, so my money would be on an extra evade die (too close to stealth device) or a free evade die re-roll when attacked from outside of your firing arc. A free evade token might also be possible. Unfortunately all of these things are difficult to describe with a card titled autothrusters (if that's indeed the card name) as that implies a movement of some sort.

Auto Thrusters

Modification

2 Pts

"Instead of performing a maneuver, you may pivot in place like in D&D Attack Wing, then take 2 stress and 2 ion tokens and toss them into the face of your opponent player while shouting: I have you now"

You might be onto something here, but I would claim that rotating in place would require a new rules card, which wasn't shown. So rolling with the segnor's loop rules card, I came up with the following:

2 points - Only ships with <boost symbol> on their action bar.

If at the end of the activation phase there are no ships inside your firing arc at range 1-3 you may perform a Segnor's Loop maneuver using the 1 bank template, then receive 2 stress tokens. You may not perform the maneuver if you already have a stress token.

I worded it this way to prevent X-Wings/Falcons/etc. from being able to use it (unlike daredevil) so that it's only applicable interceptors, A-Wings and soon Star Vipers and the IG-2000. I chose 2 stress tokens because if it only gave out 1 it would be too OP as a ship could do a green maneuver, focus, do a Segnor's Loop and then repeat it on the next turn, basically turning an interceptor into a defender with more turning options that also moves last. Another way to prevent this would be to make you discard the card instead of getting double stressed but then it starts to look too much like inertial dampeners for my taste. 

Anyway, I would say that the card is good for going after turreted ships while also being useful against high PS arc-dodgers by making sure you get a shot (with a focus) on a critical turn. It would also make me think twice about leaving a lowly alpha squadron/prototype pilot for last if they have this equipped.

Edited by darthlurker

Autothrusters:

everytime you defend you may convert one focus into an evade

Reasons:

similar logic to outmanuver, takes an existing pilot skill and makes an upgrade card out of it 

"interceptors will love it" because only interceptors will be able to take autothrusters and stealth device at the same time due to royal guard

frees up interceptors to not always have to have push the limit for those vital for survival focuses

if an interceptor bumps or does a K-Turn, it will still have an excellent defensive mechanism intact

None of these are right.  :ph34r:

And. 

You. Will. Love. It.  :D

Can you tell is if it's Autothruster/s or Autothrottle?

Everyone calls it autothrusters and it sounds cool like auto-blasters so I will just go with the flow  :P

Autothrusters:

Can we add "or 2 if you are outside the attackers firing arc." To cover the anti turret aspect? So...

"When defending, you may change one of your [eyeball] results to an [evade] result. If you are outside of the attackers firing arc, you may change two."

Could also do the same with the defensive gunner possibility.

Edited by Forgottenlore

Autothrusters:

Can we add "or 2 if you are outside the attackers firing arc." To cover the anti turret aspect? So...

"When defending, you may change one of your [eyeball] results to an [evade] result. If you are outside of the attackers firing arc, you may change two."

Yes!  I like this a lot, it is very similar to predator which has an improved effect based on a condition (if pilot skill 1-2, then re-roll 2 rather than 1).

Autothruster / autothrotle 

"When defending, you may convert one focus into evade.  If you are outside the attacker's primary firing arc, you may instead convert 2 focus results into evades."

Autothrusters:

Yes!  I like this a lot, it is very similar to predator which has an improved effect based on a condition (if pilot skill 1-2, then re-roll 2 rather than 1).

"When defending, you may convert one focus into evade.  If you are outside the attacker's primary firing arc, you may instead convert 2 focus results into evades."

So both of you are suggesting that everyone gets to become Luke? seems a little too good if you can use it more than once per turn, its likely that it would need to cost 3-4 points as well (if not 5 maybe the way you have worded it)

Autothrusters:

So both of you are suggesting that everyone gets to become Luke? seems a little too good if you can use it more than once per turn, its likely that it would need to cost 3-4 points as well (if not 5 maybe the way you have worded it)

This is a good point. If it's meant to help out squints and make them viable, is it going to be promoting squints en mass via a cheap point cost? Or -- in keeping with FFG's move toward unique pilots -- be priced expensively enough to encourage use only on a few ships?

How does that help against turrets?

Sit at Range 4. Turret attacks. Boost into range 3 before your attack. Granted, it works for all ships and not just turrets, but it gives ships an option to actually give fire without receiving it, which no amount of maneuvering can currently do against a turret.
This doesn't work, at least not all the time. If there are no ships at Range 1-3, you can't attack, so the "before you attack" trigger never happens. And that leaves you having to arrange to be (a) beyond Range 3 from everything with a turret before your attack, but (b) within Range 3 of something else, and © at Range 3 from exactly one ship with a turret after your free maneuver.It's not a bad idea for an upgrade at all, but given what FFG has said publicly about this particular upgrade, the OP's guess seems like an awfully roundabout and conditional way to get to the goal.

I think you are reading a bit too much into the exact wording of a card that does not exist.

Regardless, I already said I don't think this is the card, just that it is an interesting idea.

@Buhallin Would it work if it said, "before you declare an attack."

I'd have to think about it, but "before selecting a target" might work...  but it could get very strange.  What if your barrel roll makes it so you can't declare any targets at all?

There aren't any game term hooks I can think of that we've seen which specify a ship becoming the active one for attacks.  But anything that hooks to the actual attack process is going to be tricky.

I think that "Once per round, immediately before declaring an attack's target, you may..." covers what you are trying to achieve.

The 'once-per-round' also prevents multiple 'hops' from target to target, since you could perform the BR/Boost, and still end out of range/fire arc from your 1st target, which enables you to declare another target and potentially BR/Boost again... Or using Gunner-Luke to hop twice.

Well, if everyone agrees that it is gonna work with Squints vs turrets and front arc'd ships, as well as be tied to boost or barrel, what about this:

Autothruster 4-5pts????

Modification

Anytime you perform a Barrel Roll or Boost, you may gain an evade token.

Well, if everyone agrees that it is gonna work with Squints vs turrets and front arc'd ships, as well as be tied to boost or barrel, what about this:

Autothruster 4-5pts????

Modification

Anytime you perform a Barrel Roll or Boost, you may gain an evade token.

Well that would just be a bit….. Well lets just say Soontir arc dodging AND getting to super turtle (that’s BR + Boost + Focus + 2 Evades)

I'm fairly certain that would be too good, effectively 5 actions.

I'm not certain why many people are locked into the idea that being movement related (due to the possible name), means it must be physically moving your ship a la boost/barrel roll/etc. Evading is thematically just slightly moving/tilting/turning/dodging while flying, and hence it is just movement of a different sort. So it seems like evade tokens or agility are "movement related". Just in spirit and thematics more than physically moving the ships.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

I'm not certain why many people are locked into the idea that being movement related (due to the possible name),

Probably because what the star viper and the interceptor have in common (that other ships don't) is having both boost and roll, so the assumption is that it must key off of that somehow. It's not an unreasonable conclusion but is entirely circumstantial.

I'm not certain why many people are locked into the idea that being movement related (due to the possible name),

Probably because what the star viper and the interceptor have in common (that other ships don't) is having both boost and roll, so the assumption is that it must key off of that somehow. It's not an unreasonable conclusion but is entirely circumstantial.

Agreed.  Did I miss the forums proving it wasn't gunner for green dice?

Agreed.  Did I miss the forums proving it wasn't gunner for green dice?

Well, if you believe that zocola on the last page does, indeed, have inside knowledge (and is not lying to us) then yeah, since rerolling defense dice was suggested early in the thread and then he said none of the suggestions were right.

I think you're all way over-thinking this ..

Autothrusters

Modification.

Your action bar gains the Barrel Roll icon.

3 points.

imo...

Edit: I just realised how wierd it would be to have this upgrade packaged with a ship that already has the BR icon .. lol. Oh well, I still wish it was what I said.

Edited by Tenka

Hmmm, this is all very interesting. Boats have thrusters to adjust there positioning when docking.

What about this:

Autothrusters

Modification.

Action: Rotate your ship 45degrees to left or right.

4-5 points.

A nice mini counter to Arc-Dodging

Edited by Hottyhothot