Sign in to follow this  
atkrull

X Wing Pro Tour?

Bored at work and was watching some highlights of the Magic the Gathering Pro Tour and started thinking.... could X Wing potentially get large enough to warrent a MtG like Pro Tour circuit?

I know FFG is on track doing the Store, Regional, National, and World Chamipionships but could this model kick it into gear and create a viable pay for play pro system?

As a person who went deeply into debt to aquire a Bachelors degree in Film, I find X Wing Bat reps to be somewhat addicting and wish I could watch more (I don't think im alone)! With a little production value added, some good commentators I think a dedicated X wing youtube program could be viable?

I dont think i could imagine anything greater than being paid to play x wing :)

I would really like to see this some day, and in some way we really are starting to feel that way.  The trick of course is that so many different groups do the video casting of these events.  So the Team Covenant guys did the Austin Regionals and GenCon, but due to their high production value, we have not seen either of these videos yet.  The Monday Night X-Wing guys just did the Canadian Nationals event and hopefully we will see that soon. 

Personally, I could see some merit in having an official 'FFG' Film team to record multiple tables in big events like Nationals and Worlds especially.  We might not see it on ESPN 8 or anything like that, but I could see it streaming.  Hell, I'd pay for access to that!  Hint, Hint FFG!

I dont understand what is taking Team Covenant so long to come out with Gen Con 2014 championship video, they arent that hard to do.... unless they didnt film it.

I know that they did, indeed, film it that day.  And this has been confirmed to me through multiple sources who were there that weekend.

In their defense, they have one of, if not THE, highest quality level of production battle reports for X-Wing, period.  It is my understanding that these take a considerable amount of time to edit and produce.  

Now, that being said, it has been some time and I myself would have expected to see it out long before Worlds.  Maybe there were issues, I do not know.

Not happening. If you pay attention to FFG, you will release that they are against the type of things needed to make a "pro" circuit work. IE Money or exclusive prizes, not just different art. I'm sorry, I'm not eager to attract the players a "pro" circuit would attract.

As for Team Covenant, keep in mind, they had a large backlog, that only gets bigger as they start to cover more games and releases come out.

I dont understand what is taking Team Covenant so long to come out with Gen Con 2014 championship video, they arent that hard to do.... unless they didnt film it.

I know that they did, indeed, film it that day.  And this has been confirmed to me through multiple sources who were there that weekend.

In their defense, they have one of, if not THE, highest quality level of production battle reports for X-Wing, period.  It is my understanding that these take a considerable amount of time to edit and produce.  

Now, that being said, it has been some time and I myself would have expected to see it out long before Worlds.  Maybe there were issues, I do not know.

They do have extremely high quality, but the guys at Sanctioned might give them a run for their money.  Of course, I don't think they're filming at an event, or a gaming store, so they have a lot more environmental control, which helps a great deal.  With everything else that's going on around the tables they're trying to film, Team Covenant have a LOT of editing they'll have to do.

Edited by Audio Weasel

I suspect that the gameplay is far too imprecise to support a serious competitive scene with large cash prizes without constant controversies. This is a game where millimeters matter, and you can knock a ship ten centimeters from its original spot with your sleeve. Imagine a simple accident ("accident"?) like that with $5000 on the line.

There are few things more pathetic in my mind than a "pro" gamer.

wow...hyperbole much...or maybe you don't get out much.

sticking to the topic...heroclix has several "secondary" tournament circuits that offer cash and prizes so it's possible to go that way.

I am against a "pro" style tournament circuit for this game, the casual prizes help keep competition from getting out of hand. One of the reasons i stopped playing Star Trek Attack wing was the crazy OP system they use...too much.

Bored at work and was watching some highlights of the Magic the Gathering Pro Tour and started thinking.... could X Wing potentially get large enough to warrent a MtG like Pro Tour circuit?

I know FFG is on track doing the Store, Regional, National, and World Chamipionships but could this model kick it into gear and create a viable pay for play pro system?

As a person who went deeply into debt to aquire a Bachelors degree in Film, I find X Wing Bat reps to be somewhat addicting and wish I could watch more (I don't think im alone)! With a little production value added, some good commentators I think a dedicated X wing youtube program could be viable?

I dont think i could imagine anything greater than being paid to play x wing :)

I'm not sure if this was something FF actually said this as a reason why there's no money, but I think not having money involved in the competitive season helps keep the competition more friendly. It also ensures that the people playing the events are doing so because they're genuinely into the game, not because there's a potential cash prize at the end of the road for them.

I suspect that the gameplay is far too imprecise to support a serious competitive scene with large cash prizes without constant controversies. This is a game where millimeters matter, and you can knock a ship ten centimeters from its original spot with your sleeve. Imagine a simple accident ("accident"?) like that with $5000 on the line.

This is why VASSAL exists... Although I love the competitive scene.

sticking to the topic...heroclix has several "secondary" tournament circuits that offer cash and prizes so it's possible to go that way.

I am against a "pro" style tournament circuit for this game, the casual prizes help keep competition from getting out of hand. One of the reasons i stopped playing Star Trek Attack wing was the crazy OP system they use...too much.

No hyperbole at all. That is what I genuinely think...take my opinion for what it is. An opinion. I am sorry if you don't agree...I tend to feel that people should aspire to do more with their lives than push little starships around or move fake soldiers into position on a monitor. Thanks for the personal swipe by the way...I notice you didn't counter my argument. I get out plenty, have lived abroad for a number of years and only play this wonderful game once every two weeks because life and family tend to be my priority. But hey, personal attacks always work I guess.

Getting back on the topic.

I agree with everything you and sithborg states in regards to why it won't happen...and I wouldn't want it to happen. It would wreck the while fly casual identity this game has worked so hard to maintain...we don't need the man children that infest 40k...

EDIT: forum still very mobile unfriendly

Edited by ShakeZoola72

I would be against this.  One of the reasons I quit playing Magic long ago is when you have money on the line, everyone becomes a jerk.  I like the system as-is.  Sure, it'd be cool if the game grew, but changing to some sort of "Pro Circuit" would turn me off.  And I'm a relatively competitive person....

No hyperbole at all. That is what I genuinely think...take my opinion for what it is. An opinion. I am sorry if you don't agree...I tend to feel that people should aspire to do more with their lives than push little starships around or move fake soldiers into position on a monitor. Thanks for the personal swipe by the way...I notice you didn't counter my argument. I get out plenty, have lived abroad for a number of years and only play this wonderful game once every two weeks because life and family tend to be my priority. But hey, personal attacks always work I guess.

I agree with everything you and sithborg states in regards to why it won't happen...and I wouldn't want it to happen. It would wreck the while fly casual identity this game has worked so hard to maintain...we don't need the man children that infest 40k...

"There are few things more pathetic in my mind than a "pro" gamer."

three things MORE pathetic than pro gamers

Bokor Haram

Paul Le Page

Ray Rice

there are MANY things in our world worse than "Pro Gamers" many many things.

"There are few things more pathetic in my mind than a "pro" gamer."

three things MORE pathetic than pro gamers

Bokor Haram

Paul Le Page

Ray Rice

there are MANY things in our world worse than "Pro Gamers" many many things.

So you named a few are worse congratulations?...I am talking pathetic and I would hardly call Niko harram pathetic. They have proven to quite threatening and should be taken seriously... Like I said there are few things more pathetic IN MY MIND...note I am not speaking for everyone here. "Pro" gamers add very little to society from what I have seen and no one outside of the relatively small number of die hard players follow them or know who's they are. Wow someone can push that xwing around a bit better than me and can roll dice just like I can...I see no reason to have reverence or respect for someone who rwho does nothing but roll dice for a living...

Why are you even engaging me on this point? As I have states this is nothing more than my opinion and you won't be able to change it no matter how hard you try...seriously why are you so fixated on this? Do you see yourself as one of these "pro" gamers? Do you aspire to be? really not worth derailing this thread over...

EDIT: CCG make this forum mobile friendly!!

Edited by ShakeZoola72

And do professional athletes add any more? I have a tough time differentiating pro athletes, pro gamers, or pro poker players.

I just don't want money added to the game because it changes the focus of even local, friendly events.