Sign in to follow this  
gundamv

Is Imperial Aces still worth getting?

Given that, should I still get Imperial Aces?

Given what you said, no I don't think there's much value in Imperial Aces. I got it because I'm both a collector, and like playing with Interceptors.

It seems like neither of those things apply to you so I can't see any reason for you to get it, unless one of those things change.

Oh yeah these are worth getting, the paint jobs alone are worth it but the upgrades and pilots make these things very nice indeed. I've run a 3 Interceptor squad very successfully and they're probably my favourite Imperial ships.

Interceptors without the Aces expansion are not nearly as good. If you just fly Soontir you can do without it, but you can make Soontir even better with it via an additional modification. Of course, if Interceptors aren't a ship you like to fly then I'd wait and borrow cards as needed from your friends.

My own opinion after flying Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces relentlessly for the past few months, is that I'm back to Interceptors because I like their flying style, firepower and upgrade combos more than Rebel Aces. Everyone has their own style though, so trust your gut on what you enjoy.

If you don't enjoy the ship then not really. PtL and Opportunist, while nice, are not entirely necessary. It's a nice suite of options for the Interceptor, really. Nice to have (I enjoy them!) but you can skip it if you don't feel it is for you. Kinda like how I feel about the Phantom and the Decimator: it isn't for me.

I think arc dodging is always smart regardless of the ship you are flying, but it really helps to have higher pilot skill so that you know the final position of your opponent to optimize a boost or barrel roll. Turr can be great for arc dodging if not stressed (thus allowing the use of barrel roll or boost action after an attack), but this doesn't always work out - especially if you don't take veteran instincts to boost pilot skill.

Nonetheless, you can build a more durable Interceptor by taking stealth, push the limit (PTL), royal guard tie, and a hull or shield upgrade. Turtling (focus and evade via PTL) in these cases makes you hard to hit; especially with Soontir who get a bonus focus with stress and Carnor who prevents the use of focus against you. However, it also almost always mandates a green move next, making your ships more predictable.

So if you play Interceptors close quickly (5 forward, boost, 5 forward or k) even if it means overshooting your opponent, because once you get behind them an interceptor is hard to shake. With Carnor I'd recommend actually trying to run into your opponent's central formation ship since it takes away an attack against you, the other opposing ships are usually at range 1, and at least one of those will likely still be in your firing arc. 

With turret weapon opponents, I'd focus all fire on those ships first since you can't get out of their arc regardless. In all cases, after closing do everything you can to stay at range 1 for that essential 4th attack dice and arc dodge. Interceptors beyond range 1 and with low pilot skill are often destroyed when slow closing or when they don't kill their opponent (due to only 3 attack dice and/or an extra green for the opponent) prior to their return fire. Interceptors without stealth are more likely to be taken out in one shot - yes a bonus shield or hull helps too, but stealth is a better investment for the cost on any ship with 3 defense dice. Stealth and a hull or shield upgrade is even better of course if you can afford the points in your build. 

Borrow some cards from a friend and try out some tougher builds before deciding on Aces. Best of luck! 

Is there any point in playing TIE Interceptors if you do not plan to do arc-dodging much?

Honestly, its a skill you should learn if you want to play this game better.  Even things like Falcons and Defenders do arc dodging.  You'll learn it better by using Interceptors. 

It sounds like you don't really want to try them and the money might be an issue.  Just don't get them for now.  If you have Soontir and PTL, that's likely what you probably need.  Though, a hull or shield or stealth upgrade of some sort is usually standard for Fel.  

--

Its just like blocking. It really needs to be in your practiced repertoire.  Its not in mine.  I get eaten alive when someone tries to block me.  I'm very predictable.  

So.  I'm gonna practice with a bunch of Ties next game.  

Edited by Blail Blerg

I'd say yes.  I ran 4 Royal Guard Pilot's this past weekend.    3 with Predator, 1 with outmaneuver.   Worked extremely well.   Low cost, high pilot skill, lots of dice.  PS 6 is probably one of the most cost-effective pilot skills out there, especially since so many people are running PS 4 ships now. 

Autothrusters is something Interceptors could have used months ago when Aces came out. Nothing in Aces particularly boosted them all that much. I really like the royal guard pilots, and Carnor. But besides that not much was added as far as competitive options. The title is a bit more interesting now though with Autothrusters. And I usually do run Soontir with shield and targeting compter. All in all I'd say it's still worth getting at least one copy for the titles, and generics.

The empire is weird in that the interceptor is the only ship that fills a 24-35 point slot left vacant in the wake of swarms (12-20ish) and phantoms (at least 34 or 36, but definitely not going to come in with only ACD).

Given that the other ships in this range are the character Bombers and the Tie Advance, it's easy to see why <_< So, if you want/need ships in that point range, you can't go wrong with aces :lol: (unless you didn't buy the standard expac first, because then the baron would be sad)

Well, there is the shuttle, which I do love to death (FCS and gunner is the sexiest thing imaginable, especially for a ship that almost never gets to preform actions) but it's definitely not a dog-fighting ship ;)

Also, the Firespray slots in at the upper end of the range, but only the Bounty Hunter.

Edited by ficklegreendice