Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

What happened to this game I love?

Mate, I have started the game only recently. Probably within the last 40 days.

And I only ever seem to receive these types of emails.

I haven't seen much like this from other games forums. I haven't played many other forums. But it seems a bit ridiculous with what people are posting.

I can understand the wish for inclusion, but I can't see the game as being sexist. I would like more female pilots and aliens on the imperial side.

But to post things like, ideas for game adjustments to make it more Amish inclusive, a bit far fetched.

Ribann finally succeeded at something, basically. He posted a troll thread (with an alt, of course) that asked why there weren't more girls playing X-Wing in a very accusatory tone, then was hostile to people that responded. He was found out pretty quickly but a few people genuinely felt that it was worth discussing so Mikael started a topic hoping for a serious discussion about why so few girls play X-Wing. Then there was hostility and politics, which spiralled into this trend of posting "How can we be more inclusive of X?" threads. The main issue, as far as I can tell, was that a lot of people felt that getting more girls to play X-Wing was really unnecessary while some others felt that either A) the gender imbalance in this game is either a problem or a sign of a problem, or B) that those other guys were sexist and just wanted to maintain a guys only environment. Then everyone completely failed at making the other side understand their point.

On the plus side, Ribann proved me right in a disagreement I was having elsewhere. Subtle trolling is way more effective than blatant. If he had shown up with an alt and been like "YOUR ALL NERDS STAR TREK ATTACK WING FOR LIFE" we'd have forgotten he even came back by now.

I don't know what has happened on the forums lately. It used to be a place I could spend hours reading intelligent articles about squad building or looking at cool repaints, now unfortunately it's like a cross between TMZ and jerry springer. It has devolved into a cesspool and seems to have only gotten worse over the last few weeks. I hope that it improves but until then I come, take a quick look and then mark the forum as read and move on to something worth my time to read. I really miss all the people who contributed something to the forums instead of just slinging spam because they have nothing better to pass the time with. Sorry for the short rant but I have been here over a year and can tell the difference between what we have now and what we had even as recently as a couple of months ago. It's really quite embarrassing what goes on here, I got a new fellow interested in the game over the weekend and when you have to warn them against the message boards that were so helpful when I started playing then it really is a shame. There are some good people here and have had quite a few good experiences with people I've communicated with thru here, it's a shame that it is deteriorating as fast as it is. A large portion if the people that post here should be ashamed of the way they act here and wouldn't even consider saying what they do if the were face to face. I hold out hope that it will improve but until then I choose to spend most of my time around a better class of people than most of what I find here lately.

ah good, we are in the endphase of all this. First there was the failed troll, then the good discussion, then the discussion going overboard, then the troll threads, then the why all the troll threads threads, then the im leaving because of all the trolling threads and now we are at the end. The latecomers asking wth is going on. Shouldn't take too long now, we are almost back to normal folks. 

(Oh and plz lets not credit I.R.Bann with all of this, all he did was failing at starting a troll thread, the rest was all done by the forum itself)

Edited by sigidi

This morning I have a free minute from life so I wanted to jump on the forum and see what's up, what people are flying, what bright new people are posting, how ships repaintings are coming along and what wave 7 will offer.

The first thread that I see is one about leaving, next about inclusive, followed about getting women to play x-wing.

Wow what happened in 40 days, no really what happened.

As a former 40k player I dealt with a ton of garage, from terrible sportsmanship to people threatening to kill me for playing at a different store. I was super happy to find this game with an amazing community of players and be involved in the community. As a person that joined at the start of 2014 I really loved this game. It's a table top game I play with my wife and still looking forward to teaching my son how to play.

Maybe we can go back to talking about the game we love and not inclusion or gender talk

Ps I asked my wife if x-wing was sexist, she said "that's dumb".

Meh it's only really the last two days that it got out of hand. Think of it as halloween/devil's night shenanigans.

Also Yea I had no idea that ships had genders.

That could actually be legitimate: Sailors traditionally refer to ships as 'she', because they saw them in a motherly role, keeping them safe upon the sea. It's hardly a stretch to continue this into space. Han even refers to the Falcon as 'she' and 'her' in the OT.

BTW, I don't know the original context for what you're referring to, Cubanboy, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

Also Yea I had no idea that ships had genders.

That could actually be legitimate: Sailors traditionally refer to ships as 'she', because they saw them in a motherly role, keeping them safe upon the sea. It's hardly a stretch to continue this into space. Han even refers to the Falcon as 'she' and 'her' in the OT.

BTW, I don't know the original context for what you're referring to, Cubanboy, so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

But if all the ships in the game are "she".... How do we be more inclusive to males?

*hides*

Seriously though, after sleeping on it, I've decided from here out to try and stay away from the "serious" inclusive thread. Whilst I think Mikael was trying to at least have a serious discussion, there are others in there who are trolling the community, and I'm sad to say I fell for the bait v.v

So, back to waiting for Wave 5. I want my Decimator dammit >.<

Simple, lack of moderation. It has allowed this community to grow worse and worse. The lack of maturity isn't too surprising, but with no consequences, it has sort of gotten out of hand. Rather than disagree, people have to attack the other side.

I'm going to say it's the lack of actual releases for a while. Seems like I've been waiting for Wave 5 since forever. Rebel Aces didn't excite me much, but I've been waiting for good Imperial copilots. While waiting for the new releases, it seems like we've all played through most of the lists combos that have been theory-crafted. And so, people find other things to post about; "Idol hands do the devil's work", or so it goes?

I'd like to point out the hypocrisy of complaining about spammy, pointless, joke threads clogging up the board right after you posted a spammy, pointless joke thread.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/126194-wave-5-is-coming-the-official-cubanboy-thread-about-pointless-things/

Edited by Forgottenlore

This morning I have a free minute from life so I wanted to jump on the forum and see what's up, what people are flying, what bright new people are posting, how ships repaintings are coming along and what wave 7 will offer.

The first thread that I see is one about leaving, next about inclusive, followed about getting women to play x-wing.

Wow what happened in 40 days, no really what happened.

As a former 40k player I dealt with a ton of garage, from terrible sportsmanship to people threatening to kill me for playing at a different store. I was super happy to find this game with an amazing community of players and be involved in the community. As a person that joined at the start of 2014 I really loved this game. It's a table top game I play with my wife and still looking forward to teaching my son how to play.

Maybe we can go back to talking about the game we love and not inclusion or gender talk

Ps I asked my wife if x-wing was sexist, she said "that's dumb".

The game you love is alive and well, and anxious for your return as soon as parenting becomes a little less 24 hour intensive. :)

We've just had a few more unnecessary threads than usual.