Sign in to follow this  
period3

fixing ordnance

hmm, how about:  If your primary attack is less than 3, roll one additional die for the difference between your primary attack and 3, up to a maximum of 2 additional dice.

Or, similarly, instead of buffing the strength of the ordinance (which I do NOT think is the issue--protons and adv protons hit hard), you could decrease the cost with the same formula:

If your If your primary attack is less than 3, decrease the cost of any torpedo or missile with an attack value of greater than or equal to 4 by 1.

Make it a mod and call it "Bomber Loadout" or whatever.

Edited by quasistellar

Because I tend to mostly play with random (but mostly regular) people down at the several FLGSs that I frequent, going with house rules is pretty much out of the question. Any fix to ordnance would have to come from FFG, because there's no way I can walk up to the gaming table and say: "Hey, do you mind if we play by my house rules which allows me to have ordnance that's cheaper?"

So, for me (and I imagine for many), house rules really just won't fly. I love using ordnance (because I love TIE Bombers), but I'll agree with MJ that they're a tad overpriced for their value.

But, I agree with TheJrade, that I don't like the idea of a version two of the game, and I don't know how FFG might fix ordnance without a v2 or just something really blatant that upsets the rules that we've known. I like MF, though I don't find it useful all that often. Chardaan refit actually just increased the opportunity cost of ordnance for A-Wings. (Obviously it was meant to reduce the cost of A-Wings, not fix ordnance.)

So, for me, I'm just going to live with ordnance as is.

Or you can be blown to absolute bits by that volley of ordnance.   It happens, quite often in games i've played.

I flew a BBB list against my mate Sam and loaded Nera Dantels up with proton torps and advanced protons so whatever range you were at you were getting it wherever you were regarding arcs... put on MF to be sure.

Totalled two ships one with each volley.   I'll admit that was more succesful than average but totally vindicated an ordnance loadout with MF.

And still left me with a B wing which naked is a competant ship.

I frequently run Horton Salm with plain old Proton Torpedoes... one-shotting does not happen often because of pesky green dice but I often see three hits and a critical from a salvo.

In fact I used Horton (w/ Veteran Instincts) at Worlds and got 3 damage through on Whisper before she fired.  Last damage was a crit... damaged sensor array.  Poor Whisper got plinked by another Y-Wing with an Ion turret later in the turn and died having dealt a mere  1 damage to Ol' Horton.  Also one-shot-killed Soontir in another game when Soontir bumped and lost his actions.

Honestly I think Gamma Squadron pilots should work just fine with Protons when flying next to Jonus and if you can setup your TL a turn early Concussion missiles should be solid.  At just 16-17 points I might have to give generic Z-95s with concussion missiles more of a try, since I've never been impressed with the Z's hitting power.

Edited by Duty Remains

Incidentally I still need to try this list.  I don't expect it to be terribly competitive but something about the idea of Rhymer with Cluster Missiles, marksmanship and rerolls from Jonus makes me smile.  Two fully modified 3 dice attacks and another fully modified 4 dice attack at Range 3 should put some pretty big holes in the opponents list.

About the only change I'd really like to see is to have the "another" in Jonus' card text changed to "a" so he could benefit from his own ability. Then every faction would have themselves a playable ordnance expert.

Drea will be brutal with Proton Torpedoes and even scarier if she takes R4-B11.  3 or 4 hits per Torp and forcing your opponent to re-roll their "trustworthy" green dice?  I'm quite looking forward to it.

While im sure ffg already has some crazy plan for making missiles and torpeedo's more compeditve. Im going to suggest something crazy like new dice for missile and torp secondary weapons. This would let you play with the odds a little more and give us and excuse to have more dice.

I'd rather fix the carriers

Extended Magazines

Modification, Tie Bomber only

2 points

"When attacking with a secondary weapon that instructs you to discard it to perform the attack, do not discard it unless the attack does not hit."

Other than being a point more expensive and being limited to TIE Bombers, how is that any different than Munitions Failsafe?

Munitions_Failsafe_2.png

Edited by WWHSD

I'd rather fix the carriersExtended MagazinesModification, Tie Bomber only

2 points

"When attacking with a secondary weapon that instructs you to discard it to perform the attack, do not discard it unless the attack does not hit."

Other than being a point more expensive and being limited to TIE Bombers, how is that any different than Munitions Failsafe?

Edit: Doh! Reading is fundamental. It is the exact opposite of MF.

Munitions_Failsafe_2.png

Edited by WWHSD

I think attack wing d&d has a nice solution for ordnance. With the dragons fire breath after you use it you put duration tokens on it, depending on how powerful and cost how many tokens. At the End Phase you remove one token. You can easily say it's a loading mechanism that need to load the next missile or torpedo. You never lose the ordnance but you can't use it each turn either.

Munition Failsafe can be used to when you miss completely you don't put duration token on the ordnance.

That's my 2c.

I put forward the suggestion of an ordnance sideboard.  At the start of the round ships who have points available for ordnance can look at an opponents squad then choose which ordnance to put on which ships.

That'll remove the "darn it I've got homing missiles and there's a swarm" scenario or the "hmmm assault missiles against Han was a mistake".

How about to introduce new sort of dices for the ordnance only? That dice can have new colour and more hits than the red dice, perhaps even a side with two hits.

My house rules in my sig and here:

My Idea for an Ordnance Fix
Ordnance Phase:
Make an Ordnance phase before Primary weapons in the Combat phase.   But you can still only attack once during the combat phase

Bonus for Target Selection:
Torpedoes =  Add +1 automatic hit to your attack dice versus large or huge targets only,
Missiles =  Add +1 Automatic hit to your attack dice versus small targets

Weapons Guidance System:
Modification: 0 Pt
When you declare an attack with a [missile] or [Torpedo] upgrade that requires a target lock to be spent.   Once per combat phase,  you may re-roll up to 2 your dice used in the attack (As if you had a target lock).   This way the new pilot Redline is not stepped on and cluster missiles don't gain a major boon.   You may not do this if you already have a target lock token.
Edited by eagletsi111