Sign in to follow this  
Radzap

How can we be more inclusive of those who are socio-economically disadvantaged?

After reading through the gender thread I had an epiphany. It has already been made plainly evident that there is a gender disparity of male to female players in the Xwing community and I think that this is a legitimate concern that needs immediate attention. But this pressing issue demands that we enlarge the scope to all people of disadvantaged status that hardly get any representation in the community; namely, the impoverished.

How can we ensure that new generations of champions can arise and refresh our community if we continue to ignore those who can only afford two base sets? That child will never run a tie swarm, and will still need 15 bucks to complete your standard "Three Amigos" xwing list.

What about the unfortunate parent of children who've been bullied by Fat Han lists that, on the eve of launch, decides not to buy food for the so that a VT-49 can be brought into this "Imperial only" playing household?

Or the student, who wants to get the Interceptor expansion just for Soontir, but can't because Miniatures Market requires a purchase of $99 to get free shipping.

Personally, I have spent around five hundred dollars of my meager personal wealth and while I haven't had to cutback on groceries, cat food, or other essential items, I still haven't acquired a playmat, the Rebel Aces set, Ewing expansion, or a Z-95. That's nearly one hundred dollars to complete my collection and it doesn't even begin to address the list building issues I have (I'd love to run quad Lambdas sometime)! 

But of course, I'm being myopic again. How many people--male OR female--don't play the game at all for lack of money?

Shouldn't those people of disadvantaged economic status be offered the same opportunity to play the game irregardless of their ability to buy the actual models of the game?

Is it possible that game stores create an environment that makes people who can't afford the things they want, feel less included? How many Charlie Buckets of the X-Wing TMG must this world endure?!

Surely, we all have a responsibility to subsidize the model collections of our lesser fortunate casual flyers  in the name of diversity, inclusivity, and great justice.

Edited: For great Justice.

Edited by Radzap

You are forgetting all those (with or without adequate funding) that do not read English or have the game available in their native language (that is an insanely large part of the human populace). How do we include them?

Also, Gollum would never push Sam of the edge while the hobbit was eating Lembas. Gollum would throw the Lembas of the cliff so Sam would jump after them willingly.

Edited by Veldrin

Also there are no elderly persons (hope im not objectifying them with that, if i do, im terribly sorry) playing, how do we include granny and grandad? Also, there just isnt enough bacon in our local community, we should definitely include more bacon. I think we can all agree on that

Edited by sigidi

If everyone could just take a moment to write their congressperson and express the need for an Affordable Gaming Act we can start unknotting the tension between fat han and the academy pilot one tie at a time.

Troll post aside, pay to win is a problem for any game to have. That you can play competitively without spending much more than $60 MSRP (Phantom, Interceptor, Lambda, wasn't it?) is actually a great strength. The only real problem is C3PO coming with the Tantive, which I guess was just a random mistake.

The store I play at has an extensive demo set, one of most everything. It may not allow for certain builds but being able to go over to the demo wall and take down the newest shiniest thing and play with it is pretty cool.

At the risk of sounding elitist,I have a simple question for you. If you feel that being competitive requires a person to have the purchasing power or the means to acquire the aformentioned "power cards"above else and/or that FFG or whatever company for that matter does not conciously think of the "marginalized" during their game design is intently evil, why would that "marginalized" person enter the game with unreal and unrealistic expectations? Compared to a lot of other miniature games out there, many of which I have or still am playing, X-wing is relatively cheaper at the same time being better mechanically than most games with horrendous entry costs.

If you look at it from the other side of the proverbial coin, if by some reason a company manages to shoulder all tge costs of a certain game just to put everyone on a 100% equal level playing field in terms of financial capacity, doesn't that also short change people who can spend more to get more out of the game? Imagine if everybody played just the core set for years and years and FFg would release updated rules every month or so without you ever needing to buy a new model, how do you think that would fare? How would that affect the game and players? That is the complete opposite of what you are claiming and that doesn't even include the costs of the company to maintain a game like that.

Edited by Ichiyo1821

At the risk of sounding elitist,I have a simple question for you. If you feel that being competitive requires a person to have the purchasing power or the means to acquire the aformentioned "power cards"above else and/or that FFG or whatever company for that matter does not conciously think of the "marginalized" during their game design is intently evil, why would that "marginalized" person enter the game with unreal and unrealistic expectations? Compared to a lot of other miniature games out there, many of which I have or still am playing, X-wing is relatively cheaper at the same time being better mechanically than most games with horrendous entry costs.

In every joke thread, there must be one guy that doesn't get it. Thank you, Ichiyo1821, for heroically remaining oblivious. Thanks to your sacrifice, the rest of us can get the joke.

Troll post aside, pay to win is a problem for any game to have. That you can play competitively without spending much more than $60 MSRP (Phantom, Interceptor, Lambda, wasn't it?) is actually a great strength. The only real problem is C3PO coming with the Tantive, which I guess was just a random mistake.

The C3PO has become kind of a power-player´s card where I live. There seem to be just enough around for people to borrow it when they need it though.

I have to say that I came here for a laugh, but I did just read something over at the Metal Bikini blog.  There is a guy who works a lot with underprivileged kids in his church.  These are at risk kids who have really bad home stories.  He got them into playing X-wing and a lot of the kids are staying out of trouble.  He doesn't have enough ships to fly for everyone and some of the kids are a little rough on the ones that he does have.  He was asking for donations for ships so that all the kids could play each week.  I have to admit that even though I'm as cheap as I can with this game, I thought about donating something to him.  I thought it was a good cause.

In every joke thread, there must be one guy that doesn't get it. Thank you, Ichiyo1821, for heroically remaining oblivious. Thanks to your sacrifice, the rest of us can get the joke.

The real joke here is that the OP and those that "approve" of this message (and tactic) are making the game less inclusive by posting topics and comments like this. Is making a thread that degrades, makes fun of, and lessons the gender thread while using the socio-economically disadvantaged for humor an "inclusive act"?

This is just going down hill.  Let's just let this thread die.  Please don't post some political complaint about the govt. and the country you live in.  Don't complain about how you have to spend money to play this game.  It's meant to be a humorous thread.  If you don't like the joke, just let it die.